2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played him against Hearts. 😠
    1-4 IIRC

Shades scored an og

Crops scored for us

Alan Gordon was hit by a large stone when the Hibs bus was attacked on the A73 after Hibs beat Airdrie 6-2 at Broomfield in the League Cup on the 11th October 1972.

Alan was hit on the shoulder and showered with glass the Evening News said he was badly shaken but not seriously injured.

The driver of the bus said that 6 stones hit the bus (3 hit windows) and 3 hit bodywork.

Alan was fine enough to get revenge by scoring a goal when Hibs beat Airdrie at Easter Road 3 days later.

Hibs won 5-2 (O'Rourke hat-trick Gordon and Duncan)

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Reminded me of the story of when the team bus left Easter Road for the League Cup Final 1972/73

They had got as far as Bothwell Street Easter Road when a wee laddie launched a half brick through a windae

They kept on their merry way and had to put up with the freezing cauld all the way through

There was no sleeping on the bus and by the time they got to Hampden they were the wide awake club

Worked a treat

Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 25-10-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoaningCrHibbie View Post
    Alan Gordon was hit by a large stone when the Hibs bus was attacked on the A73 after Hibs beat Airdrie 6-2 at Broomfield in the League Cup on the 11th October 1972.

Alan was hit on the shoulder and showered with glass the Evening News said he was badly shaken but not seriously injured.

The driver of the bus said that 6 stones hit the bus (3 hit windows) and 3 hit bodywork.

Alan was fine enough to get revenge by scoring a goal when Hibs beat Airdrie at Easter Road 3 days later.

Great game the 6-2 1st leg, we were behind at half-time if I remember and Arthur Duncan's turn for a hat-trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    Great game the 6-2 1st leg, we were behind at half-time if I remember and Arthur Duncan's turn for a hat-trick.
    Hi Ray, Yes we were 1-0 down at half-time to a 19th min Drew Busby goal and Arthur Duncan scored a hat-trick 69 min, 82 min, and in the closing seconds

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

was at the six two game and those airdrie fans back then were nuts . Mini Huns I would call them.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Reminded me of the story of when the team bus left Easter Road for the League Cup Final 1972/73

They had got as far as Bothwell Street Easter Road when a wee laddie launched a half brick through a windae

They kept on their merry way and had to put up with the freezing cauld all the way through

There was no sleeping on the bus and by the time they got to Hampden they were the wide awake club

Worked a treat

Supporters buses had extra air conditioning as well in those days. Coming back from a game against Motherwell in the 70s our supporters bus had 3 windows smashed. On the way back we were overtaken by the team bus which had two windows smashed.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 25-10-2021 at 10:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    My first away game was against Partick Thistle.

There was this new guy who had just signed for us, I had never heard of him. Alan Gordon.

Didn't take long for him to open the scoring with a great header! Shades scored the second with an amazing goal (even he was surprised it went in!)

Was a brilliant player, in partnership with wee Jimmy. led the Golden boot for Europe at one stage I think.

Only met him once, in the toilet under the West stand at ER long after he had finished playing I think.

Cant remember why I was in that stand at the time... I was a bit overawed in his presence but said something about the game and he was happy to chat with me for a few minutes. made my day.

One of the best, and a true Gent.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Hi Ray, Yes we were 1-0 down at half-time to a 19th min Drew Busby goal and Arthur Duncan scored a hat-trick 69 min, 82 min, and in the closing seconds
    Magnificent time to be a Hibby, next leg we got five in the away leg as well [Tannadice], then Rangers in the Semi before the Pat Stanton show at Hampden on the 9th of December. No wonder the 0-7 game wasn't as built up then as it became in years to come.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    My first away game was against Partick Thistle.

There was this new guy who had just signed for us, I had never heard of him. Alan Gordon.

Didn't take long for him to open the scoring with a great header! Shades scored the second with an amazing goal (even he was surprised it went in!)

Was a brilliant player, in partnership with wee Jimmy. led the Golden boot for Europe at one stage I think.

Only met him once, in the toilet under the West stand at ER long after he had finished playing I think.

Cant remember why I was in that stand at the time... I was a bit overawed in his presence but said something about the game and he was happy to chat with me for a few minutes. made my day.

One of the best, and a true Gent.
    Scottish Cup tie, we reached the final.

He was a good lad. I would never claim to be a friend but I used to bump into him at various things-so often that we'd recognise each other and smile and say hello or exchange a few words.He always made sure he smiled first which I thought was his way of showing that he didn't think I was a star seeker looking for a bit of reflected glory.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    What a stupendous thread.

Blog Entries
    A couple of AG stories that may be new for most folk.
    1. Leith Rotary IIRC used to organise a 5 a side indoor tourney, usually at Meadowbank though I have a vague memory of 1 being somewhere in Leith. That was 1st time I appreciated the pure skill of AG. He was top scorer and man of the tourney by a mile and of course no heading was involved. We beat Hearts 7 0 in an early round and Jim O and Tosh (AG) passed the ball around rather than score an 8th!
    2. I dont think Alan was ever selected for Scotland but IIRC the whole Tornadoes front 5 were named in a Scottish League squad. Through injury only 2 or 3 played but it was some honour for the players and Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    A couple of AG stories that may be new for most folk.
    1. Leith Rotary IIRC used to organise a 5 a side indoor tourney, usually at Meadowbank though I have a vague memory of 1 being somewhere in Leith. That was 1st time I appreciated the pure skill of AG. He was top scorer and man of the tourney by a mile and of course no heading was involved. We beat Hearts 7 0 in an early round and Jim O and Tosh (AG) passed the ball around rather than score an 8th!
    2. I dont think Alan was ever selected for Scotland but IIRC the whole Tornadoes front 5 were named in a Scottish League squad. Through injury only 2 or 3 played but it was some honour for the players and Hibs.
    Great stories, while he was never selected for Scotland full side he was selected to play in a World XI alongside the likes of Eusebio, Charlton, Best, Denis Law and many of the other truly great players of the time, I would be sure he would rather have that than fight for a Scotland cap that may never even have been posted out to him.

My Dad played with Alan Gordon and Willie Henderson as the both played for Edinburgh Athletic 1959-1960 and he said that both players were amazing at that point off their career.

Photo is in http://www.edinphoto.org.uk and search Edinburgh Athletic.
    Last edited by aiden15088; 27-10-2021 at 01:47 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    And what did ET do ?

He signed Roddy Mackenzie 😃
    Think he played at bog head when we lost 4-1 to Dumbarton fs

@hibs.net private member
    I had the pleasure of speaking to him on two occasions. The first time he reminisced about great players in the team ( never mentioned himself once )

and I then asked him why he played for Durban; he admitted it was a mistake and he regretted it. What honesty to admit it.

Next time he came up to me with a list of all the games he scored in, for all sides he played in. He then sat next to Eddie T and for all the world

it was like a schoolboy sitting next to his ( grumpy ) headmaster. Lovely to see !