hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All your brains are in your head.
    Eddie Turnbull

Alan Gordon was outstanding, simply outstanding.
    Just found a great quote from the man himself about when he was working in football media after he retired (I remember him alongside Arthur Montford on Scotsport on a few occasions):

"Whenever I was reporting at Tynecastle for radio or television Wallace Mercer would always make remarks about me being a Hibbie. In my professional role I would have to say I was a neutral, but he knew and I knew he knew I was green and white through and through. So there you are. Now you know Wallace."

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Just found a great quote from the man himself about when he was working in football media after he retired (I remember him alongside Arthur Montford on Scotsport on a few occasions):

"Whenever I was reporting at Tynecastle for radio or television Wallace Mercer would always make remarks about me being a Hibbie. In my professional role I would have to say I was a neutral, but he knew and I knew he knew I was green and white through and through. So there you are. Now you know Wallace."
    Brilliant

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Alan Gordon was a wonderful player, probably the best center-forward I have seen in my 55 years watching Hibs

In some ways, he is unlucky as he was simply one star in a team of stars and probably doesn't get the recognition or the remembrance he deserves.

If he had played in any other era he would have been far better recognised for his own abilities.

In many ways, he was Like Pat Stanton, cool and unflappable and oozed class.

He was a tremendous finisher and a great link-up player.

One of the pictures I see in my mind's eye when I think back on those glory days is of him arm aloft in the best Hibs strip there has ever been, probably after scoring the goal in extra time in the 1-0 Dryborough Cup Final win over Celtic.

Great great days
    You've summed it up perfectly. How I loved watching him and that team.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Alan Gordon was my first hero…still recall reading the back of the then Daily Record about him singing for us. I used to run around the garden pretending to be him . He always seemed so elegant with an effortless ability to stick the ball in the net . An ability to seemingly hang in the air for ages as he waiting to nod the ball home . I’m sure it wasn’t the case, but my memory is that his shorts and short always looked spotless at the end of games..loved him as a player .

Anyone else got some good memories of him ??
    He scored in a 3-2 victory against the Pars at East end Park in December 1973.Was my 1st hibs game and he was my hero from then on. He was a great header of the ball!

Then years later when I was going through a divorce, my solicitor asked for my email address for correspondence and it has hibby in it. She said oh my dad played for hibs. Thinking it would not be a 1st team player I asked her what was his name. Alan Gordon she replied. Couldn't believe it!
    Had a good chat with her about her dad and how much I loved him at the time!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Met an Accountant friend for a Friday after work drink in the Gordon Arms in the 1980’s

Unknown to me he had asked Alan Gordon to join us

At the time I was working for a large West End legal Firm

On being introduced to Alan I placed my briefcase on the bar popped it open to reveal its solitary content a HIBS book

This broke the ice Alan Gordon laughed and was only too pleased to sign it for me

Legend!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Great thread. One of my first Hibs supporting memories is of him scoring the winner in a 0-1 victory over East Fife at Bayview. I was behind the goal aged 6 and I can still picture him rising like the proverbial salmon to head home.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

You summed it up perfectly too. I used to love going to watch that team play and on the way to games i used to wonder how many they were going to score and not if they are going to score.

Alan Gordon was just as the op described him. elagant and he used to hang in the air and those long legs of him would be dangling whilst he went up for the ball.

WeeJimmy ran his socks off trying to keep up with him so he could lay the ball off at his feet or put in a great cross direct on his head.

He was a lovely man and a real gentleman. Such a shame when Turnbull sold him on and broke up that team so sad indeed

Great memories though and so privilidged to have been able to watch the standard of football they produced.

That was football at its purest and i have very rarely felt the same passion for a Hibs team as i did them. Luck

@hibs.net private member
    I feel really lucky to have followed that great Hibs team everywhere,what a collection of absolutely brilliant players.
    They must have been a nightmare for other teams to play against goals reigning in from every position.
    But Alan and Jimmy they were just so clinical and complemented each other so well.
    Thank you God for making me a Hibs man.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by penihibs View Post
    I feel really lucky to have followed that great Hibs team everywhere,what a collection of absolutely brilliant players.
    They must have been a nightmare for other teams to play against goals reigning in from every position.
    But Alan and Jimmy they were just so clinical and complemented each other so well.
    Thank you God for making me a Hibs man.
    Hope you’re still wearing that HSL badge with pride 😁

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team the finest centre forward the world has ever seen, he's always in the centre he's always scoring goals and as for Derek Parlane you can stick him up your hole. Song sung on the buses going to away games. Top scorer in Scotland in 1972/73 season. Did play the game with his head. Always seemed to suddenly pop up in the right place. Clever player. Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number 7.
    Only blot on his character is he played for Hearts😁😁😁😁
    Derek Parlane was the starter at our golf course, i used to sing that on the walk up to the first tee every time i played.

I never got tired of singing it, he did.

The best header of a ball I've seen at Hibs. His 2nd goal against them in the 7-0 game is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    He played up front with Gerd Muller. Others to feature were Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Carlos Alberto, Denis Law and Uwe Seeler, so I guess that kind of remarkable honour probably made the Scotland disappointment significantly easier to bear.
    Pretty sure he was down to start against England at Wembley but picked up an injury and missed out

Probably the year he was second to the late great Gerd Muller in the Golden Boot

First Team Breakthrough The Veteran's Avatar
    Last time I saw Alan was in the wee bookies underneath the Penny Black in West Register Street.

I had a wee chat with him and he was a lovely person.

@hibs.net private member Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Alan Gordon was an absolute gentleman, he attended a few Berwick and District Burns nights and regaled us with stories from his time with the Tornadoes. A real character who is greatly missed and was underrated as a player by Scotland.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Derek Parlane was the starter at our golf course, i used to sing that on the walk up to the first tee every time i played.

I never got tired of singing it, he did.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    One of my memories of Alan Gordon is him being on the team bus.

We used to travel on the Tranent Hibs Supporters bus in the 70s and would sometimes see the team bus going to away matches.

We used to get the driver to pass the team bus then slow down so it would overtake us and that way we could see the players on both sides of the bus.

Hibs used Silver Fox in those days and they were smart buses with tables for the players to sit at.

Most of them would be playing cards but Alan Gordon used to sit on his own and read a book, very clever man was my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    You summed it up perfectly too. I used to love going to watch that team play and on the way to games i used to wonder how many they were going to score and not if they are going to score.

Alan Gordon was just as the op described him. elagant and he used to hang in the air and those long legs of him would be dangling whilst he went up for the ball.

WeeJimmy ran his socks off trying to keep up with him so he could lay the ball off at his feet or put in a great cross direct on his head.

He was a lovely man and a real gentleman. Such a shame when Turnbull sold him on and broke up that team so sad indeed

Great memories though and so privilidged to have been able to watch the standard of football they produced.

That was football at its purest and i have very rarely felt the same passion for a Hibs team as i did them. Luck
    So True and Same here - Simply a brilliant side who provided fantastic excitement and great joy.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Absolute gentleman, recall sitting next to him at a 50 club diner. He told me the story of the year we almost won the league and how he was convicted had they sent ET on a month long cruise they would have been champions. ET was showing some nerves as the season came to a close and started tinkering with the team/formation... What an absolute honour it was to sit beside a man that could head a ball harder than most of us could kick it...💚💚
    Last edited by Leithenhibby; 15-10-2021 at 12:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    So great to read these posts - really bringing back the memories of a class act

I met him at a Radio Forth Christmas party
    I mentioned I had been at Airdrie when he scored all 4 in the match
    No big headed response. He was surprised I was at the game and thanked me for remembering the feat and appreciated my mentioning it and then asked me a lot of questions about our travels when he could have easily talked about himself. A true gentleman

In the opening few months of the 1974-75 season Alan was deployed by Eddie in left midfield on a number of occasions, rather than partnering Harper upfront. He was brilliant, demonstrating great skill on the ball and getting forward at every opportunity. It was further proof of his all round talent prior to him being sold to Dundee for a measly £20k in November.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenson View Post
    In the opening few months of the 1974-75 season Alan was deployed by Eddie in left midfield on a number of occasions, rather than partnering Harper upfront. He was brilliant, demonstrating great skill on the ball and getting forward at every opportunity. It was further proof of his all round talent prior to him being sold to Dundee for a measly £20k in November.
    In Simon Pia's book Sunshine on Leith he claims Celtic were prepared to offer a significantly higher fee for him but such was the animosity between Stein and Turnbull that Eddie refused to countenance the move.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenson View Post
    It was a dreadful decision and the best part of 50 years has not changed my opinion

Didnae stop ET sending King Pat to Paradise though ?

IIRC Alan Gordon chummed him through

Talk of these truly fine players on a day like today brings home just how lucky we was to witness some of the games when as someone said we went to Easter Road wondering how many we would score no matter the opposition. Alan Gordon was one hell of a football player. Scoring hat tricks for fun did him and wee Jimmy, great days.

Testimonial Due
    My memory of Alan Gordon was scoring for Hearts with a header from the half way line after the Raith keeper Reid took a goal kick at the Gorgie end of Tynecastle and he sent it right back!
    It was back in the day when fans of both clubs would go to games at each others teams.
    Nowadays its like all out war when the 2 teams meet, I would love to get back to those days when we could stand beside each other throughout the game.
    Don't think it will ever happen again tho'.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Alan Gordon, what a centre forward he was.....him and Jim o'rourke were a great front two.
    Pretty sure he scored a hat trick (all headers ?)....against Dundee which finished 3-3 in the Scottish cup....although we were pumped 3 nil in the replay up at dens Park.
    51 goals in 80 odd games.....that's impressive....bet most were headers !
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

First Team Breakthrough Risboro Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johncrobertson@ View Post
    One of the most skilful players I have ever seen. Will never forget his wonderful diving header in a 3-2 win over Aberdeen at Easter Road
    Still nearly 49 years later goes down as the best goal I have ever seen. The build up play was sensational as well.

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    Sure the game your thinking of Iggy is Airdrie at the old Broomfield in February 1973.

My mates and I always said it was the perfect 4.
    1 with the left, one with the right, one with the head and one with the bum (he slid in on a wet muddy pitch and it went in of his bum!!).

Great player, very under-rated.
    Great player
    You're spot on ... Alan Gordon was a superb player ...

The game was Airdrie vs Hibs on the 10/2/73

The Sunday Mail match report said that Alan Gordon could easily have scored 6 ! but he scored in ...

8 mins, (From a Des Bremner cross)

44 mins, (After McKenzie the Airdrie goalie failed to hold a long shot from John Blackley and Alan was on the spot to score)

60 mins, (From a trademark header)

86 mins, (After McKenzie the Airdrie goalie made a 'red face' blunder)

Quote Originally Posted by LoaningCrHibbie View Post
    You're spot on ... Alan Gordon was a superb player ...

The game was Airdrie vs Hibs on the 10/2/73

The Sunday Mail match report said that Alan Gordon could easily have scored 6 ! but he scored in ...

8 mins, (From a Des Bremner cross)

44 mins, (After McKenzie the Airdrie goalie failed to hold a long shot from John Blackley and Alan was on the spot to score)

60 mins, (From a trademark header)

86 mins, (After McKenzie the Airdrie goalie made a 'red face' blunder)
    And what did ET do ?

He signed Roddy Mackenzie 😃