hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Skol cup memories 30 years ago today

SKOL CUP MEMORIES THIRTY YEARS AGO TODAY

Just wondering what everyone’s memories were of that great day?

We got through about 12.30 and the turnstiles weren’t open yet and the Steward assured us there was plenty of time and it would be ok to go for a pint

Two hours later they were closing the turnstiles at the HIBS end must have been about 40k hibbies there

After a nervous 90 minutes I can still remember the silver of the League Cup glistening off the Hampden floodlights as Murdo lifted the Cup

One of the guys I was with an ex-pat Spurs fan who had recently moved back to Edinburgh thought it would be like this forever following HIBS ?

Mad rush back to the Stadium to see the trophy being brought back to the Holy Ground

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I was 6 at the time, I remember travelling through with my dad and brothers down the M8 seeing all the hibs fans in busses and cars. We bought a flag outside the ground but they wouldn't let us in with the stick attached. we were behind the goals and it was a great experience on the terrace, even if i was a bit tired standing all game. We went to the street party and thought it was hillarious that people climbed the lamp posts to get a good view of the team. Great day, fond memories.
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 27-10-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Went with a friend from Glasgow as I'd been late for the semi because I couldn't find Hampden (no sat nav back then), so we were early enough that we had no problem getting in.

Oddly enough I don't remember much about the game despite referring to it as the best birthday present Hibs could give me.

Got back to Edinburgh, got changed and headed out for a gig. Managed to see the open top bus at the top of the Walk before spending the evening in a mosh pit.

Ah, to be young again ...
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was 6 at the time, I remember travelling through with my dad and brothers down the M8 seeing all the hibs fans in busses and cars. We bought a flag outside the ground but they wouldn't let us in with the stick attached. we were behind the goals and it was a great experience on the terrace, even if i was a bit tired standing all game. We went to the street party and throught it was hillarious that people climbed the lamp posts to get a good view of the team. Great day, fond memories.
    I have posted some photos from the day which includes the team bus with other coaches travelling there, fans before game and a few in the ground including the pen.

Over on my twitter.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Travelled through on the Pickies bus from Piershill - got there early, ended up in a boozer before kick off. Left before everyone else to join the queues to get in, literally got through the turnstile and they shut them.

Recall bottles being thrown over the turnstiles landing behind us and a mad rush through a half opened gate leading to a crush. Don't recall much about the game if I'm honest - more than 3/4 of the bus didn't make it into hampden as they arrived after the gates had been closed.

Remember standing outside the North British Hotel watching the open top bus passing and listening to the Hibs casuals singing CCS songs. Ended up in Robbies bar and remember being on a buzz for weeks afterwards - thought it would be like that forever.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Me and my mate were the only ones on our bus that got in, we ran from the bus to the stadium because we wanted to be in for the kick off. Everyone else had to watch the game in the pub. It seems mad now to think that a cup final would be pay at the gate. I remember the first half being pretty poor, we looked really nervous but the second half we played well and deservingly won. The scenes back in Edinburgh were amazing, it was the first time I’d seen us win a trophy.

United we stand here....

Remember the semi more to be honest, my brother and dad looked down on the terracing and me sitting praying for the final whistle tae go, was only 13. Final was always confident👍

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    How come so many got locked out when there was 40000 at the game, was there restrictions on the capacity at Hampden? It was a good few years before my time but I’m going to the anniversary event in Stockbridge on Saturday night and I’m really looking forward to it!
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    How come so many got locked out when there was 40000 at the game, was there restrictions on the capacity at Hampden? It was a good few years before my time but I’m going to the anniversary event in Stockbridge on Saturday night and I’m really looking forward to it!
    The Dunfermline end wasn’t full and there was part of the stadium designated as a family section. Plenty hibs fans got into the Dunfermline end by hiding their colours.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    We organised a bus from the Crown and Cushion. The pub was opened at around 6.30am and I doubt we got a mile on the bus before the calls for the first pee stop were made. The bus was largely filled with regulars from the boozer and most of us were season ticket holders who also went to most away games. The pub ran a bus for a year or so around that time too. We arrived pretty late to Hampden so had to walk round to get in. We had no idea some were locked out as we just waltzed in without too much issue. We were more concerned about missing KO than not getting in. We ended up with a great spot pretty central opposite the main stand. The game was actually an anti-climax when compared to the semi as we all thought we would win and did so fairly comfortably. First trophy I saw us lift and little did I know how infrequent that feeling would be. Hibs were massive to me back then as they are now but it was as much about the brilliant group of mates that I went to the games with as it was the team(we were dire for much of that time). Now it is a different experience for me, far more sanitised, no drinking or meeting in the pub and sitting at grounds. I still love watching Hibs but it sometimes feels like a completely different event to what it was. I look at the young team and think that was me once before hypocritically chastising their drunken behaviour, being old isn't as much fun as being a kid.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Me and my mate were the only ones on our bus that got in, we ran from the bus to the stadium because we wanted to be in for the kick off. Everyone else had to watch the game in the pub. It seems mad now to think that a cup final would be pay at the gate. I remember the first half being pretty poor, we looked really nervous but the second half we played well and deservingly won. The scenes back in Edinburgh were amazing, it was the first time I’d seen us win a trophy.

The pay at the gate decision was made as made by the Scottish League Management committee on the strength of committee member Wallace Mercer’s assurance that Hibs would bring a maximum of 15,000 to the game.

Source - Stewart Brown , Edinburgh Evening News.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    The pay at the gate decision was made as made by the Scottish League Management committee on the strength of committee member Wallace Mercer’s assurance that Hibs would bring a maximum of 15,000 to the game.

Source - Stewart Brown , Edinburgh Evening News.
    Old walnut wasn’t right very often was he?

United we stand here....

Met mates at Marcos had a couple of frames of snooker knew it was our day as got my highest break at snooker 75. Went through by car parked at Rutherglen couple of pints and pub lunch in Rutherglen pubs full to bursting with Hibbys. Door was open and the only traffic on the road was supporters buses and what seemed to be hundreds of LRT single and Double decker buses heading to Hampden.
    Because the game was not all ticket headed to ground a bit earlier that normal. Got to the ground only to be told the Hibs end was full so joined massive queues going I to North side of the ground. Senior policeman on his horse was looking very worried asked us if there was any more coming along behind us told him thousands. He said they were only expecting 15000 Hibs fans. He then got on his radio and disappeared down to where all the fans were coming from. Boy was glad we did not have another pint.
    Great result got back home for the trophy parade. Oh such a perfect day!
    Last edited by gbhibby; 27-10-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Some of the main stand and Hibs end closed due to them starting redevelopment work.

I remember drawing the semi final goal against Rangers as a P2 school kid - a big ghoulish, massive heided Keith Wright nodding it in in my 2.5D "Streets of Rage" perspective effort sticks in the memory as wins against Rangers were, and remained to be for a wee while thereafter, as rare as 24 carat hen's teeth.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Brilliant day. Had £2 on Tommy McIntyre 1st scorer at 20-1 and another couple of quid on 2-0 at, I think, 4-1. Me and my mate then forgot where our bus was parked, so head to get a train back to Edinburgh. Made it up Waverley Steps to Princes Street just before the bus came along, then followed it down the road. Couldn't believe the number of people that had gathered.

As this was in the days of terracing, the usual crowd I went with agreed to meet after the game in the East Stand, '4th pillar along'. Got to the ground and the gates were shut. Queue loads of shoving against the big gate at the bottom of the old East Stand steps, which started buckling before the police intervened and got it open. Was really glad they did, as I was getting squashed right at the front of it all!

After all the celebrations in the ground, we headed of to Robbies, which had started to become our go-to pub before and after games and remains so to this day. Cue continuous singing all night and a massive conga out the door and back in again, before heading home.

The feeling being in Hampden winning the Scottish Cup will probably prove impossible to beat and in 1991 we were expected to win against Dunfermline (people say the 'real' final was the semi v Rangers), but in respect of the post-match celebrations back in Edinburgh I preferred the Skol Cup win. First trophy I'd seen Hibs win; got to see the parade, the same day, with thousands of other people; into Easter Road to celebrate with pals/family and see the players close up having a fantastic time; no restrictions getting into the pub (unlike May 2016); and police letting people enjoy themselves with no hassle.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I remember drawing the semi final goal against Rangers as a P2 school kid - a big ghoulish, massive heided Keith Wright nodding it in in my 2.5D "Streets of Rage" perspective effort sticks in the memory as wins against Rangers were, and remained to be for a wee while thereafter, as rare as 24 carat hen's teeth.
    I think the early 90s Hibs version was called Streets of Radge.

Dragged two pished mates the half mile between the boozer and the ground by the scruff of their necks. Just made it in before we heard the gates slam behind us. 30 secs later and we'd have been sneaking in the Dunfy end.

Very similar weather today in Edinburgh to that day in the Weej.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Meadowbank Snooker for 9am, wee pub crawl down to Broadfields for the bus An anxious couple of minutes when somebody phoned from bus company to say no bus available, Mrs Chatty on the wind up.
    Made it in just before gates got shut. Result never in doubt. Ages to get back along M8 then the celebrations lasted until Monday night.

I made sure we arrived early at the stadium, as it was only the second cup final I'd ever been to, and I'm glad I did.

The Main Stand was only half open, basically because it was falling to bits, and the terracing capacity had been reduced quite a bit for rebuilding. Even though the attendance was well short of capacity, the only part that wasn't full was the Dunfermline end.

TBH, there was no way the SFL could have known we'd take so many fans to the game, so it's not entirely their fault. Let's be honest, most Hibs Fans were amazed at how many of us turned up.

My mum and dad didn't take me to the game because I was only 5. I went to ER regularly but they decided against the final. I think they just wanted a pint in peace tbh. I watched it on TV with my granny and I don't think I fully forgave my parents until 2007 and finally seeing Hibs win a trophy in the flesh.

Was at ER for the trophy coming back and can remember Willie Miller hanging the cup over the fence of the old shed and getting to touch it.

I was at Celtic Park a couple of years later when we went close again but 91 always feels like the one that got away for me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    My late grandad, my dad, and my brother and me as schoolboys, all at the game and a huge group hug when we won. The following year my grandad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and he died in 1993, so it's a special memory. That's what football is all about.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    We went through in my mates car and were in in plenty time. It was annoying that we didn't get the rangers' end as, being covered, would have changed the atmosphere entirely. As it was dunfermline never even half filled it and it was only when we went 2-0 up that the Hibs support started to relax and we began to enjoy ourselves. It's a pity Hammy's shot hit the post because a 3rd would have really got the party going.

Afterward we went straight to ER to wait for the team and had a great spot in the old East. The atmosphere was amazing that night.

Given it was a school night I was going to be a good boy and go home, but instead I jumped out my mates car on Leith Walk and partied in the Windsor until about 2.30. The police were at the door a few times but to give them their due they only asked us to "keep it down" for the neighbours - when they could easily have shut the place down.

@hibs.net private member
    Brilliant day especially just months after the FTB attempted takeover.
    Few beers before heading to get the bus , were through quite sharpish so went straight to the game.
    Might be wrong but think that final was the last pay at the gate game at Hampden, wasn’t even aware that fans were locked out till the day after.
    Nervy 1st half but as soon as penalty went in was only going to be one winner.
    Back home to Leith for the parade , the scenes on Easter Road were unbelievable with fans hanging out windows , roads choc a bloc.
    The connection between the fans and the club were probably as close as they have been.
    As someone who was in there late twenties at the time immensely proud of the way the Hibs family united to fight off the takeover and the Skol cup was the icing on the cake
    Didn’t think I would see anything better then 2016 happened.

First Team Breakthrough
    watching at home in belfast for some reason Sky delayed transmission by 30 minutes so coverage wasn't live.
    i tried to watch not knowing the score but eventually switched on radio scotland.
    was a great watch eventually knowing we’d won lol

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I was their..left from the Waverly , burdiehouse ..like many just got in before the gates shut ! Thousands upon thousands of Hibs fans present..was a wee laddie but what an atmosphere..I remember the Dunfermline end having loads of gaps , should have been all ticket ..Cannae remember much but remember Brian Hamilton skelpiing the bar from fully 30 yards and Evans going close

30 years ago wow

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I remember standing on the terracing elated after we’d beaten Rangers in the semi.

much trepidation and the massive support seemed apprehensive. Baws of steel Macintrye must have had carrying the weight of expectation of 40k Hibees that days. Don’t remember too must but the tension even after the goal. I had been shellshocked for weeks after losing in the semi to Celtic (3-1 when Archie scored consolation.

back to edinburgh after then for a pint in Clarke’s bar home for a change still wearing colours but hidden and the out ended up in the nightclub downstairs from Negotiants singing Hibs songs and starting a conga up the stairs and into the restaurant turnabout and back down again.

lost a scarf, gained a sombrero.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.