hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Memories of Alan Gordon ?

Alan Gordon was my first hero…still recall reading the back of the then Daily Record about him singing for us. I used to run around the garden pretending to be him . He always seemed so elegant with an effortless ability to stick the ball in the net . An ability to seemingly hang in the air for ages as he waiting to nod the ball home . I’m sure it wasn’t the case, but my memory is that his shorts and short always looked spotless at the end of games..loved him as a player .

Anyone else got some good memories of him ??

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alan Gordon was my first hero…still recall reading the back of the then Daily Record about him singing for us. I used to run around the garden pretending to be him . He always seemed so elegant with an effortless ability to stick the ball in the net . An ability to seemingly hang in the air for ages as he waiting to nod the ball home . I’m sure it wasn’t the case, but my memory is that his shorts and short always looked spotless at the end of games..loved him as a player .

Anyone else got some good memories of him ??
    Wonderful player, great in the air and on the ground, that goal in the 7 nil rout of Hearts where he raised his hand in the air....

Years later we used to see him in Mathers at the top of Broughton Street some lunchtimes as we both worked nearby., Absolute gentleman, he signed a 7 nil programme which my old boss (a jambo) got me as a leaving gift

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Wonderful player, great in the air and on the ground, that goal in the 7 nil rout of Hearts where he raised his hand in the air....

Years later we used to see him in Mathers at the top of Broughton Street some lunchtimes as we both worked nearby., Absolute gentleman, he signed a 7 nil programme which my old boss (a jambo) got me as a leaving gift

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Never had the pleasure of meeting him ….

Yes! That iconic arm raise !!

My most abiding memory of AG is Tony Higgins. Most people of a certain age will know I'm referring to the 1st leg of the European tie against Leeds at Elland Road in 1974 I think. A great cross from the left to the back post, and Tony basically took the ball of AGs head and headed it over the bar.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winner 2016

@hibs.net private member
    One of the most skilful players I have ever seen. Will never forget his wonderful diving header in a 3-2 win over Aberdeen at Easter Road

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    An uncle of mine gave me an autographed photo one morning telling me (if I recall right) Motherwell 0 Alan Gordon 4, as he had bagged the lot of them.
    What a hero.
    Met him at a POTY in later years and even in illness the man was utter class.
    His daughter (I think) is active on one of the Twitter fan groups and posts the odd brilliant picture.

Sheer elegance, no other words for him,

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    An uncle of mine gave me an autographed photo one morning telling me (if I recall right) Motherwell 0 Alan Gordon 4, as he had bagged the lot of them.
    What a hero.
    Met him at a POTY in later years and even in illness the man was utter class.
    His daughter (I think) is active on one of the Twitter fan groups and posts the odd brilliant picture.

Sheer elegance, no other words for him,
    Sure the game your thinking of Iggy is Airdrie at the old Broomfield in February 1973.

My mates and I always said it was the perfect 4.
    1 with the left, one with the right, one with the head and one with the bum (he slid in on a wet muddy pitch and it went in of his bum!!).

Great player, very under-rated.
    Great player

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    Sure the game your thinking of Iggy is Airdrie at the old Broomfield in February 1973.

My mates and I always said it was the perfect 4.
    1 with the left, one with the right, one with the head and one with the bum (he slid in on a wet muddy pitch and it went in of his bum!!).

Great player, very under-rated.
    Great player
    Mists of time. You’ll be right and thanks.

“ the trouble with you Gordon. “ I will let others to finish that quote

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Elegant on the ground and magnificent in the air the best header of a the ball I have seen at Easter Road

A cultured intelligent footballer deadly with head or either foot

Must be the only HIBS player to be selected for a World XI

The guy was pure class and the perfect gentleman
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-10-2021 at 05:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I never actually saw Alan play but was fortunate enough to know him through my dad and him being friends. As many have stated he was a real gent and an intelligent guy with a fund of great stories. One thing that struck me through hearing his stories was just how much it meant to him and players of his generation to represent their country. Alan came very close to playing for Scotland and I think it rankled him that he was overlooked. And when I look at his record it is utterly astonishing that he was never actually given the nod. I know that Scotland was pretty well endowed with talent in those days but all the same - 51 goals in 84 league games for a Hibs team twice 2nd in the league and NO caps! Utterly astonishing!

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alan Gordon was a wonderful player, probably the best center-forward I have seen in my 55 years watching Hibs

In some ways, he is unlucky as he was simply one star in a team of stars and probably doesn't get the recognition or the remembrance he deserves.

If he had played in any other era he would have been far better recognised for his own abilities.

In many ways, he was Like Pat Stanton, cool and unflappable and oozed class.

He was a tremendous finisher and a great link-up player.

One of the pictures I see in my mind's eye when I think back on those glory days is of him arm aloft in the best Hibs strip there has ever been, probably after scoring the goal in extra time in the 1-0 Dryborough Cup Final win over Celtic.

Great great days

Left by mutual consent!
    Class in everything he did.

I met him in hospitality in the FF, and he regaled us with some bits from the past. When he was finished, and left to join another company, a young supporter at the table asked who he was. Pelted for the remainder of the night.

Did he ever have that long raincoat off his back.

I first met AG in the prestigious setting of the backroom of Dizzy Lizzies before, and after, the AEK Athens home tie. Seen him a few times after that and sat next to him at a mutual pals wedding which cemented what I liked to call a friendship. Underated sense of humour. At that wedding we obviously spoke about Hibs a lot but he was full of tales about the 60's mid-season tours of the States when Scottish teams would adopt the name of whatever city was assigned to them. Whenever I met him I always kissed his forehead since he scored so many goals with headers, including the 7th in the 0-7 game - a joke which he wore gladly no matter the company and which occasionally got funny looks but he never flinched from it.

I said to him one night when he was talking Hibs and calling us "we", "but Alan, you were always a Jambo." To which he replied "I was. Until I signed for Hibs and realised the difference between the fans. Hibs fans appreciated an idea on the pitch even if it didn't come off. Hearts fans would boo if we tried something and lost the ball." He said him and Alex Young left Tynecastle as they were sick of the fans attitude. They were trying to win games and entertain, when winning games was all that mattered to the Gorgie crowd.

A great, great player underrated given his nonchalance IMHO. One thing an older Hibby told me to watch for when AG was playing was how he could sell defenders a dummy by taking a pass with his back to the ball and controlling it with his calf, turning again and leaving the defender for dead.

A gem as is his laddie Brian, a pretty good accountant too and an even better Northern DJ.
    Last edited by Kato; 14-10-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Alan Gordon was a wonderful player, probably the best center-forward I have seen in my 55 years watching Hibs

In some ways, he is unlucky as he was simply one star in a team of stars and probably doesn't get the recognition or the remembrance he deserves.

If he had played in any other era he would have been far better recognised for his own abilities.

In many ways, he was Like Pat Stanton, cool and unflappable and oozed class.

He was a tremendous finisher and a great link-up player.

One of the pictures I see in my mind's eye when I think back on those glory days is of him arm aloft in the best Hibs strip there has ever been, probably after scoring the goal in extra time in the 1-0 Dryborough Cup Final win over Celtic.

Great great days
    Fitted that kit superbly didn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I first met AG in the prestigious setting of the backroom of Dizzy Lizzies before, and after, the AEK Athens home tie. Seen him a few times after that and sat next to him at a mutual pals wedding which cemented what I liked to call a friendship. Underated sense of humour. At that wedding we obviously spoke about Hibs a lot but he was full of tales about the 60's mid-season tours of the States when Scottish teams would adopt the name of whatever city was assigned to them. Whenever I met him I always kissed his forehead since he scored so many goals with headers, including the 7th in the 0-7 game - a joke which he wore gladly no matter the company and which occasionally got funny looks but he never flinched from it.

I said to him one night when he was talking Hibs and calling us "we", "but Alan, you were always a Jambo." To which he replied "I was. Until I signed for Hibs and realised the difference between the fans. Hibs fans appreciated an idea on the pitch even if it didn't come off. Hearts fans would boo if tried something and lost the ball." He said him and Alex Young left Tynecastle as they were sick of the fans attitude. They were trying to in games and entertain, when winning games was all that mattered to the Gorgie crowd.

A great, great player underrated given his nonchalance IMHO. One thing an older Hibby told me to watch for when AG was playing was how he could sell defenders a dummy by taking a pass with his back to the ball and controlling it with his calf, turning again and leaving the defender for dead.

A gem as is his laddie Brian, a pretty good accountant too and an even better Northern DJ.
    Like button.

I see Kato has alluded to his Hearts career and it's easy to forget that despite the fact he is indelibly associated with the Hibees he actually played more games for the yams. Interesting to hear about how the more appreciative attitude of the Hibs fans won him over.

Pretty unusual for a public schoolboy and university graduate to excel as a pro footballer. One of my dad's pals was at Heriot's with Alan and remembers him playing for the Hearts first team while still at school.

What still amazes me is how easily both Hearts and Hibs let him go. His record for both clubs (especially Hibs) was terrific and while I know he was moved on to accommodate Joe Harper it must still go down as one of the club's worst decisions to dispense with a front pairing of Gordon and O'Rourke when they still had much to give.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I see Kato has alluded to his Hearts career and it's easy to forget that despite the fact he is indelibly associated with the Hibees he actually played more games for the yams. Interesting to hear about how the more appreciative attitude of the Hibs fans won him over.

Pretty unusual for a public schoolboy and university graduate to excel as a pro footballer. One of my dad's pals was at Heriot's with Alan and remembers him playing for the Hearts first team while still at school.

What still amazes me is how easily both Hearts and Hibs let him go. His record for both clubs (especially Hibs) was terrific and while I know he was moved on to accommodate Joe Harper it must still go down as one of the club's worst decisions to dispense with a front pairing of Gordon and O'Rourke when they still had much to give.
    Remember the Tornadoes but too young to appreciate them.
    It seemed as a 6 year old that Hibs won every week bar playing Celtc
    Mind my dad being gutted when they let JOR and Alan Gordon go!
    Keep the stories going a brilliant thread

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    “ the trouble with you Gordon. “ I will let others to finish that quote
    All your brains are in your head.
    Eddie Turnbull

Alan Gordon was outstanding, simply outstanding.

His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team the finest centre forward the world has ever seen, he's always in the centre he's always scoring goals and as for Derek Parlane you can stick him up your hole. Song sung on the buses going to away games. Top scorer in Scotland in 1972/73 season. Did play the game with his head. Always seemed to suddenly pop up in the right place. Clever player. Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number 7.
    Only blot on his character is he played for Hearts😁😁😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team the finest centre forward the world has ever seen, he's always in the centre he's always scoring goals and as for Derek Parlane you can stick him up your hole. Song sung on the buses going to away games. Top scorer in Scotland in 1972/73 season. Did play the game with his head. Always seemed to suddenly pop up in the right place. Clever player. Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number 7.
    Only blot on his character is he played for Hearts😁😁😁😁
    Nah nah nah! Nah nah nah nah nah!
    Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah!

He was one of my heroes, a typical old fashioned Number 9 and scored my favourite goal. I'm sure he was selected to play as part of a world 11 at some point too.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Thank you for finishing the song. 😁

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    I met him, my childhood hero, at a friend's Wedding and loved chatting to him. He talked about playing for Hibs and knowing he had a captive audience he told me about the 7 - 0 game and apologised for it only being 7 - 0 but that he and Jimmy O'Rourke had agreed that only goals in off the woodwork would count. Said with a straight face, a wink to me and a smile to myvJambo brother in law. Loved him even more after that.

I think only in Scotland would a player with Alan Gordon’s skill not have a stack of international caps.

Hearts supporters never forgave him for hitting the bar against Killie in the game that decided the league winners.

Interesting that Heriot’s provided,as well as Alan,Bobby Wishart who had a great career with Aberdeen and Dundee,plus Willie Woodburn part of the great Rangers defence before his lifetime suspension for getting sent off four times. Plenty of others too who played football as their main sport instead of rugby when they left school.

Alan will always be remembered for his scoring feats in the Cup Winners Cup and by giving Billy McNeill his most difficult games in the numerous memorial games between those two wonderful teams.

The game I particularly remember most was after Alan getting injured in the home leg of the successful 1972 league cup campaign, quarter final, against Dundee United. Hibs followed up scoring six in Broomfield in the first of the knock-out games by being equally clinical at Tannadice by again taking a four goal first leg lead in the 5-1 win. In the return game at ER, Alan received a head knock and as a result spent the second half swapping roles with Arthur Duncan on the left wing. Alan ran his former team mate, Andy Rolland, ragged, as his elegant style, time after time, left the united right back chasing shadows. Alan was known for his heading ability that night showed this then 16 year old what a wonderful all round talent we had got for the 12k Hibs spent out a year earlier.

Eddie Turnbull, when he secured Alan Gordon's signature, stated that he had failed to get Alan a number of times while manager of Aberdeen as he felt a Gordon, Harper combination was the dream ticket, this made the decision to get rid of him so soon after the signing of Harper all the more mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I never actually saw Alan play but was fortunate enough to know him through my dad and him being friends. As many have stated he was a real gent and an intelligent guy with a fund of great stories. One thing that struck me through hearing his stories was just how much it meant to him and players of his generation to represent their country. Alan came very close to playing for Scotland and I think it rankled him that he was overlooked. And when I look at his record it is utterly astonishing that he was never actually given the nod. I know that Scotland was pretty well endowed with talent in those days but all the same - 51 goals in 84 league games for a Hibs team twice 2nd in the league and NO caps! Utterly astonishing!
    I'm pretty sure he was actually picked for Scotland but missed out through injury. Still seems extraordinary though, as you say, that his chance never came again.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Elegant on the ground and magnificent in the air the best header of a the ball I have seen at Easter Road

A cultured intelligent footballer deadly with head or either foot

Must be the only HIBS player to be selected for a World XI

The guy was pure class and the perfect gentleman
    He played up front with Gerd Muller. Others to feature were Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Carlos Alberto, Denis Law and Uwe Seeler, so I guess that kind of remarkable honour probably made the Scotland disappointment significantly easier to bear.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like the proverbial glove!
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 15-10-2021 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    He played up front with Gerd Muller. Others to feature were Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Carlos Alberto, Denis Law and Uwe Seeler, so I guess that kind of remarkable honour probably made the Scotland disappointment significantly easier to bear.
    He did play up front in that World XI but as a winger. Two assists iirc. As Ray pointed out above a talent as a winger too.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kato; 14-10-2021 at 08:28 PM.