hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j'adorehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    looking to be greenest club in scotland - reduce carbon footprint and tree felling for paper
    kids are digital they are the future
    old men dont like change hence grumpy

how have you all managed without the pink?
    I liked the Pink as well as my programme, kept me amused until Sportscene came on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I found the Programme handy for identifying opposition players

My old phone doesn’t work at Easter Road as there is no WiFi

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Wasn’t that long ago they were making a small
    Profit ..under John Stephen’s ….so not sure where you get that from ….
    Hi bigwheel, you are right about that. I mentioned it on Twitter earlier today. The programme wasn't a huge money spinner in the full years I was in charge of it (16/17,17/18, and 18/19) but it made a small profit - it wasn't even my full-time job as I produced content across all our platforms and had responsibility of some media operations too. After I left, and I don't mean this to sound disrespectful to anyone, nobody really cared for the programme and sales have evidently dwindled. Then the pandemic came round on top of that.

When I moved from being a bit-part member of the media team at the club to a full-time employee I was keen to make the programme profitable and a worthwhile product again. I consulted with the supporters via a survey to understand what you all wanted, spoke to programme/media professionals consistently to understand what is working and what isn't across all UK clubs, and, most importantly, recruited very talented writers and spoke with them about what they wanted to write about - with all of them volunteering to write content. This iteration of the programme won a couple of awards and was popular with the supporters. It had exclusive content unique to the programme, which was in turn adapted for the website during the summer, when football content was leaner, to keep supporters engaged. The current content is poor in comparison and I don't think many of the volunteers were ever really asked back.

I'm a Hibs supporter who buys and reads programmes, so obviously I disagree with the decision on that level. But, from the point of view of a communications professional too, it's a very bad decision.

Straight away you've alienated certain sections of the support who have no desire to be on social media and essentially only engage with club media via the programme on a matchday, lost a (small) revenue source, and your content can no longer be recycled in the way I described earlier in my post.

Considering the expansion in the media team since I left the club in late 2019 it's bizarre that they can't produce a profitable programme with worthwhile content on top of the other content they're proposing. For the record, I fully support modernising the media output.

To round off, I don't think the club has tried enough to save the programme. It's never promoted well, it just gets tweeted about once, usually a few hours before a game when folk are busy doing other things, and then is instantly buried by other content on the social media feed. Additionally, it's not sold at a game, which is standard practice for this sort of product. No wonder it's not done well this season.

I hate sounding so critical of the folk working for the club as I've no doubt they are working to the best of their capabilities and really hard. I also think that the content has improved in some aspects too, especially in terms of actual output when compared to last season. I'm really in favour and supportive of them modernising the approach to media. I really don't mean to sound like I'm being unduly negative towards them and the club.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStephens91 View Post
    Hi bigwheel, you are right about that. I mentioned it on Twitter earlier today. The programme wasn't a huge money spinner in the full years I was in charge of it (16/17,17/18, and 18/19) but it made a small profit - it wasn't even my full-time job as I produced content across all our platforms and had responsibility of some media operations too. After I left, and I don't mean this to sound disrespectful to anyone, nobody really cared for the programme and sales have evidently dwindled. Then the pandemic came round on top of that.

When I moved from being a bit-part member of the media team at the club to a full-time employee I was keen to make the programme profitable and a worthwhile product again. I consulted with the supporters via a survey to understand what you all wanted, spoke to programme/media professionals consistently to understand what is working and what isn't across all UK clubs, and, most importantly, recruited very talented writers and spoke with them about what they wanted to write about - with all of them volunteering to write content. This iteration of the programme won a couple of awards and was popular with the supporters. It had exclusive content unique to the programme, which was in turn adapted for the website during the summer, when football content was leaner, to keep supporters engaged. The current content is poor in comparison and I don't think many of the volunteers were ever really asked back.

I'm a Hibs supporter who buys and reads programmes, so obviously I disagree with the decision on that level. But, from the point of view of a communications professional too, it's a very bad decision.

Straight away you've alienated certain sections of the support who have no desire to be on social media and essentially only engage with club media via the programme on a matchday, lost a (small) revenue source, and your content can no longer be recycled in the way I described earlier in my post.

Considering the expansion in the media team since I left the club in late 2019 it's bizarre that they can't produce a profitable programme with worthwhile content on top of the other content they're proposing. For the record, I fully support modernising the media output.

To round off, I don't think the club has tried enough to save the programme. It's never promoted well, it just gets tweeted about once, usually a few hours before a game when folk are busy doing other things, and then is instantly buried by other content on the social media feed. Additionally, it's not sold at a game, which is standard practice for this sort of product. No wonder it's not done well this season.

I hate sounding so critical of the folk working for the club as I've no doubt they are working to the best of their capabilities and really hard. I also think that the content has improved in some aspects too, especially in terms of actual output when compared to last season. I'm really in favour and supportive of them modernising the approach to media. I really don't mean to sound like I'm being unduly negative towards them and the club.
    Exactly my thoughts, happy to let it run down and then stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    So you have a pop at folk looking at their phone during a game but you want a programme to look at so you can get player numbers!!
    The odd quick glance at a team listing for the game I'm at is hardly the same as spending most of the match checking bets and scores from elsewhere. Not sure why you're being confrontational, to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    The odd quick glance at a team listing for the game I'm at is hardly the same as spending most of the match checking bets and scores from elsewhere. Not sure why you're being confrontational, to be honest.
    Not confrontational in the slightest, just thought your post was very ironic

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    My Mrs likes to sit with a programme with the squads showing so she can identify why someone, anyone is getting stick! Or so she knows what a trumpet the ref is. Or so she can see the boy everyone on here (not the tiny minority) want us to sign next day. She also likes me filling her head with ***** and nonsense about some of the retro pages stories and pics. She also knows that I took on Tony Mowbray in the quiz a few years back and might’ve lost but got my photo in it. She also knows when her wee cousin was in it as team mascot. She also knows it’s a worthwhile thing to stick under the nose of Mixu/ Franck / Russell / Deek / Gary / Paul / Jason etc to sign with a sharpie after we’ve battered them. She also knows why I remember my dead sisters wedding anniversary as I’ve only got to look at the programme to recall the day (Killie 71).

Sentimental tosh. Nostalgia doing me in. ****ing traditionalist nonsense..

As I’ve said on other media, won’t ever beat a video of Martin Boyle jumping through a hedge.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's such a shame, but times change, and, just like paper tickets, programmes are becoming a thing of the past. I still like to buy them, but it seems they are becoming too expensive for the revenue they generate. Sad, it's but another victim of the digital age.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by j'adorehibs View Post
    looking to be greenest club in scotland - reduce carbon footprint and tree felling for paper
    kids are digital they are the future
    old men dont like change hence grumpy

how have you all managed without the pink?
    They're certainly green alright, the naivety of their decision is truly outstanding.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    My Mrs likes to sit with a programme with the squads showing so she can identify why someone, anyone is getting stick! Or so she knows what a trumpet the ref is. Or so she can see the boy everyone on here (not the tiny minority) want us to sign next day. She also likes me filling her head with ***** and nonsense about some of the retro pages stories and pics. She also knows that I took on Tony Mowbray in the quiz a few years back and might’ve lost but got my photo in it. She also knows when her wee cousin was in it as team mascot. She also knows it’s a worthwhile thing to stick under the nose of Mixu/ Franck / Russell / Deek / Gary / Paul / Jason etc to sign with a sharpie after we’ve battered them. She also knows why I remember my dead sisters wedding anniversary as I’ve only got to look at the programme to recall the day (Killie 71).

Sentimental tosh. Nostalgia doing me in. ****ing traditionalist nonsense..

As I’ve said on other media, won’t ever beat a video of Martin Boyle jumping through a hedge.
    Personally I don’t give a damn the programme, but they should keep it going ‘cause of posts like this.

Same way you managed without punctuation.
    Exactly

If anyone still reading the thread has any ideas about how they might assist and contribute to collaborative approach on getting a good quality and worthwhile match day programme off the ground then please PM me. I have ideas and so do others.
    Please, only reply if you are serious I’m not looking for debate.

I’m representative or is it only you?
    You think those who disagree with the decision are representative of the wider support? Fair enough. I disagree, I can't prove I'm right & never claimed I could, merely stated a view that they "probably" arent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    You think those who disagree with the decision are representative of the wider support? Fair enough. I disagree, I can't prove I'm right & never claimed I could, merely stated a view that they "probably" arent.
    You said bugger all about “wider support” in your reply my friend so don’t be tangling with this wideo . I’m ‘probably’ representative of my demographics view. I don’t see the need to prove anything and you started on the representative nonsense not me. How can we gauge a proportion of representation on any punters views on anything as wide ranging as the big tellies to cold pies to the size of Akpo Sodje’s boaby? (All well discussed of course)

Representative yer ‘crack’.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    You said bugger all about “wider support” in your reply my friend so don’t be tangling with this wideo . I’m ‘probably’ representative of my demographics view. I don’t see the need to prove anything and you started on the representative nonsense not me. How can we gauge a proportion of representation on any punters views on anything as wide ranging as the big tellies to cold pies to the size of Akpo Sodje’s boaby? (All well discussed of course)

Programmes are going to be no more. You’ll get over it. Stop being such a moody brat about it.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Programmes are going to be no more. You’ll get over it. Stop being such a moody brat about it.
    Only about 8 hours late with your juvenile reply dad.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    A fan produced paper program for every home game would interest me far more than any official offering has over my time supporting Hibs.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Only about 8 hours late with your juvenile reply dad.
    It’s not particularly a reply to what you said to me, I couldnae care less, it’s the way you’re replying to anyone who disagrees with you.

Time to pick your toys up from round your pram and go to bed, son.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It’s not particularly a reply to what you said to me, I couldnae care less, it’s the way you’re replying to anyone who disagrees with you.

Time to pick your toys up from round your pram and go to bed, son.
    Disparaging stuff from one who couldnae care less. And that ***** ^^^ might make you look barry on here but wider, it’s not that great.

Threads gone, as always.

Waste of ****ing time really.

If anyone still reading the thread has any ideas about how they might assist and contribute to collaborative approach on getting a good quality and worthwhile match day programme off the ground then please PM me. I have ideas and so do others.
    Please, only reply if you are serious I’m not looking for debate.
    Good luck mate, where there's a will there's a way.

Hope you are feeling better in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    A fan produced paper program for every home game would interest me far more than any official offering has over my time supporting Hibs.
    Maybe that’s the answer. The club allows fans to create and sell a programme. Curtis sports productions have been very poor and contributed to the poor uptake in recent times.

Edinburgh City’ have a far superior programme than we did and it’s “fan produced”.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Good luck mate, where there's a will there's a way.
    I hope there is, as there are still a decent amount of folk who still want it.

Maybe a fan led programme is the way forward for now, and if it can be done by those who still want it, then why not?

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I can understand the collectors being pissed off by this but I don't think it will cause a big stir amongst most of the support. I used to buy a programme at every home match and added to the ones I got given by my uncle I probably have about 600 or so. Loads of the more collectible ones too. But the last one I bought was the 2016 cup final and before that I have no idea. Sadly the way of the world nowadays.
    I always buy a programme. Living in the West Country, I don’t have loads and loads like others, but a good few.

Prize possessions are the two 2016 Cup Final Programmes. Priceless.

J

I've always thought clubs including Hibs over-complicated the programme.

"Exclusive match day content, A4 premium glossy paper".

Surely it can't be hard to copy and paste the fixtures list and results from the official site to the back of the programme, some articles, transcripts, quotes and interviews from the official site and now podcasts, a few pictures from training/matchday with a few ads. Some cheap matte paper, normal programme/fanzine dimensions and sell it from the pie stands for a couple of quid?

Don't buy the programme but can sympathise with those who'll miss it. I much prefer print when reading but unfortunately does seem to be on the way out.
    Last edited by Antifa Hibs; 15-10-2021 at 07:53 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    When I was a lad I pinned all my programs onto my bedroom walls, covered just about every inch so do feel quite nostalgic about them but haven’t bought one for over 20 years. The club is moving with the times, running a loss leading publication to satisfy a very small proportion of fans makes no sense so happy they’re calling time on it.

There are moves afoot for anyone interested, to get a programme resurrected amongst the fans. But there will be a lot to do.
    I’ll open a separate thread purely for the innovators to get in touch and contribute.
    If it’s not something you’re interested in best just to leave that one alone and maybe stick to this one.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    I've always thought clubs including Hibs over-complicated the programme.

"Exclusive match day content, A4 premium glossy paper".

Surely it can't be hard to copy and paste the fixtures list and results from the official site to the back of the programme, some articles, transcripts, quotes and interviews from the official site and now podcasts, a few pictures from training/matchday with a few ads. Some cheap matte paper, normal programme/fanzine dimensions and sell it from the pie stands for a couple of quid?

Don't buy the programme but can sympathise with those who'll miss it. I much prefer print when reading but unfortunately does seem to be on the way out.
    Hi Antifa, I used to be in charge of the programme from 2015 to 2019 when I worked at Hibs. Hopefully I can answer that.

It takes a couple of minutes to decide what type of paper to use and the size of it. These are important specifications that can affect the quality of the final product. Glossy and matte were the same price from the suppliers we used and the sizing is relatively similar for every club.

You do need matchday exclusive content too. Why would someone, other than a collector, pay £3 for a programme with loads of content you can get elsewhere at your own convenience? That was what the supporters said when I consulted them back in early 2016. Certain content remained exclusive in the programme, but others would be published online during the summer when football content is harder to come by. This was content that was researched thoroughly by one of the great writers I had recruited.

The interview content also had to be different compared to what you usually get online too. The main feature was usually a really interesting read, with content from both the Development Squad and the Women's team too. You can't just lump up a transcript as that'd be basically unreadable to many. Q&A style writing is okay but lazy, but you add more depth to the articles by adding in a couple of short paragraphs around the discussion topic.

Overall, it's not easy, but, when done correctly, it can be profitable, adds to the club's media output in a positive way, and, most crucially, isn't as labour intensive as some try to make out.

Hi Antifa, I used to be in charge of the programme from 2015 to 2019 when I worked at Hibs. Hopefully I can answer that.

It takes a couple of minutes to decide what type of paper to use and the size of it. These are important specifications that can affect the quality of the final product. Glossy and matte were the same price from the suppliers we used and the sizing is relatively similar for every club.

You do need matchday exclusive content too. Why would someone, other than a collector, pay £3 for a programme with loads of content you can get elsewhere at your own convenience? That was what the supporters said when I consulted them back in early 2016. Certain content remained exclusive in the programme, but others would be published online during the summer when football content is harder to come by. This was content that was researched thoroughly by one of the great writers I had recruited.

The interview content also had to be different compared to what you usually get online too. The main feature was usually a really interesting read, with content from both the Development Squad and the Women's team too. You can't just lump up a transcript as that'd be basically unreadable to many. Q&A style writing is okay but lazy, but you add more depth to the articles by adding in a couple of short paragraphs around the discussion topic.

Overall, it's not easy, but, when done correctly, it can be profitable, adds to the club's media output in a positive way, and, most crucially, isn't as labour intensive as some try to make out.
    Interesting - thanks for your reply

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Out of interest how much profit is made on a programme