hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I found the Hibs programme from the last few years to be really excellent quality. Yes there wasn’t all that much news in it, but it was as much a part of the matchday for me as the pre match pints, a half-time pie and a bovril. It was also superior to most programmes produced by other clubs. I last bought a football programme at Dens Park earlier this season and was shocked at how poor it was. A flimsy, advert filled piece of crap.

This is a sad but almost inevitable development. Way of the world and all that but I’m not sure it’s a world I like.

if the fanzines or some sort of unofficial matchday publication were to make an appearance I would 100% buy them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’m surprised they lasted this long. If they were costing more to produce than they were bringing in through adverts and cover price then I’m glad they are gone.
    I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw someone reading a programme at half time? Times have changed and most people get their media online now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found the Hibs programme from the last few years to be really excellent quality. Yes there wasn’t all that much news in it, but it was as much a part of the matchday for me as the pre match pints, a half-time pie and a bovril. It was also superior to most programmes produced by other clubs. I last bought a football programme at Dens Park earlier this season and was shocked at how poor it was. A flimsy, advert filled piece of crap.

This is a sad but almost inevitable development. Way of the world and all that but I’m not sure it’s a world I like.

if the fanzines or some sort of unofficial matchday publication were to make an appearance I would 100% buy them.
    Fanzines are online already. Nobody is going back to printed publications again anytime soon.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I’ll see what the first one is like but nothing about a quarterly appeals to this collector.

A quarterly magazine doesn’t reflect the rhythm of a football season. I can’t see the point.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    For those interested Hibs have announced a review of communications which include no longer producing a match day programme.

A sad day for all collectors.

Good day for the environment though

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I never bought programmes much apart from the season with the printed vouchers for money off the following seasons ST. If it saves the club money then fair enough, time to move on.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Ultimately if the demand was sufficient, they wouldn't be pulling them.
    Perhaps it’s the price, when I go to EofS games I always get a programme 2 or 3 quid tops, I don’t expect much for that but normally get a decent product

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I’m surprised they lasted this long. If they were costing more to produce than they were bringing in through adverts and cover price then I’m glad they are gone.
    I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw someone reading a programme at half time? Times have changed and most people get their media online now.

I'm awrite Jack! I had the pleasure of getting my programme for Pat Stantons testimonlal signed by almost all the team, even Benny! Typical nowadays, tho. Does'nt affect/bother me, get rid. Tell ye what, I work away a lot more nowadays, but one of the very very large irritations of attending seasons pre-covid for me were the absolute impossibility of getting a programme in the hour before the game, regardless which end you were in. No wonder the numbers were down, they were virtually impossible to find in the hour before kick-off. I'm really not caring for all the young tech'd savvy wide boys here, attending from early 70's onwards programmes were part of MY day! During the 4/5k years, during plenty other years. I, personally, think removing something that the supplier has been making increasingly difficult to even get near to push a newer type agenda is pretty insulting & condescending towards fans who havent had much of a say in said proceedings, but had plenty say in plenty years gone by keeping OUR club going.

First Team Breakthrough
    There’s so much info available online etc, programmes years gone by were insight into players/club I’ve still got some from 90s Jimmy boco and that on front of them I’ll always keep but I’ve never bought programme for years

@hibs.net private member
    Must say I'm saddened to hear of the demise of the Hibs programme. I'm one of the auld guys to whom buying a programme was part of the ritual of going to the fitba. I've collected them over the years from my schoolboy days in the 50s, swapping them in the playground.
    An old friend years ago ran a printers in Porty and printed the hertz programme. He approached Tom Hart to let him print the Hibs programme but was turned down emphatically. He was told "You print the hearts programme ... you don't print the Hibs programme."
    I remember hearing that back in those days the number of programmes printed was determined by the likelihood that 1 in 5 of the expected attendance would buy a programme for the game.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    What's everyone going to do with their old programmes? Cash in or keep them?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    What's everyone going to do with their old programmes? Cash in or keep them?
    All the ones I have my uncle bought me don’t think I Could part with them even though don’t look at them. Probs gonna dig out out this weekend now.I have frank graham group hibs top aswell Could get good money but just can’t part with it

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    2016 will be the last full set of cup run programmes
    Unless we get drawn away from home in all rounds

Hibs aren't going to continue to do something that isn't making money to keep a small amount of collectors happy. Its a shame but it just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    A quarterly magazine doesn’t reflect the rhythm of a football season. I can’t see the point.
    I can see that being quietly dropped not too far down the line.

For collectors the programme has to be match specific. For the wider fanbase with so much online content from the club these days are there many people who need a quarterly magazine? I'm not sure it's a 'solution' that keeps anyone happy. I suspect it's being used as a bit of a cushion so we don't go from something to nothing overnight. I give it 18 months tops.

Just for info, here's how F1 does an online programme. Not much use to collectors though.

https://raceprogramme.formula1.com/desktop.html

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    I'm awrite Jack! I had the pleasure of getting my programme for Pat Stantons testimonlal signed by almost all the team, even Benny! Typical nowadays, tho. Does'nt affect/bother me, get rid. Tell ye what, I work away a lot more nowadays, but one of the very very large irritations of attending seasons pre-covid for me were the absolute impossibility of getting a programme in the hour before the game, regardless which end you were in. No wonder the numbers were down, they were virtually impossible to find in the hour before kick-off. I'm really not caring for all the young tech'd savvy wide boys here, attending from early 70's onwards programmes were part of MY day! During the 4/5k years, during plenty other years. I, personally, think removing something that the supplier has been making increasingly difficult to even get near to push a newer type agenda is pretty insulting & condescending towards fans who havent had much of a say in said proceedings, but had plenty say in plenty years gone by keeping OUR club going.
    They’ll probably still do special edition programmes for testimonials, so you’ll probably still be able to get one signed.

I think you’re being more than a little bit over dramatic in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I can see that being quietly dropped not too far down the line.

For collectors the programme has to be match specific. For the wider fanbase with so much online content from the club these days are there many people who need a quarterly magazine? I'm not sure it's a 'solution' that keeps anyone happy. I suspect it's being used as a bit of a cushion so we don't go from something to nothing overnight. I give it 18 months tops.
    I’m certain you are right there. I just can’t see the demand being there for printed output.

Kieran Power has suggested we’re in the low hundreds in terms of programs sold.

If that’s the case then it’s no wonder we’ve stopped.

Never even realised we still sold programmes. Match day programmes and newspapers are yesterdays news and generally for the older generation. Good move by the club especially as we promote this greenest club in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    You accuse me of being selfish yet you want the clubs money spent on producing a programme that loses money just so you can keep collecting them?
    They have been ditched because nobody wants them. It’s not just Hibs either. The rest of Scottish football will follow. And it’s already happening with newspapers.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    You accuse me of being selfish yet you want the clubs money spent on producing a programme that loses money just so you can keep collecting them?
    They have been ditched because nobody wants them. It’s not just Hibs either. The rest of Scottish football will follow. And it’s already happening with newspapers.

I’ll very rarely even pick up a Metro on a bus anymore, and I’ve got absolutely no idea when I last paid for a newspaper. Years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post

Yeap. It’s sad but they are no longer economically or environmentally sustainable. We just have to move on.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Yeap. It’s sad but they are no longer economically or environmentally sustainable. We just have to move on.

Forgetting the physical production costs which won’t be insignificant, the actual creating the content side of it won’t be anywhere near worth it anymore.

About 10 years ago there was queues at the programme vendors and it seemed that a huge amount of groups had at least one between them. I don’t recall seeing anyone with one other than the actual vendors for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’ll very rarely even pick up a Metro on a bus anymore, and I’ve got absolutely no idea when I last paid for a newspaper. Years ago.
    I'm the same with the Metro. 15 years ago it helped pass the time on a journey. Now I can read, watch or listen to what I want when I want on my phone.

I quite like the idea or a smaller fan led programme springing up from somewhere. However there has to be an acceptance that printed output has largely had it's day. Widespread access to the Internet was the 1st blow and the smartphone was the final nail.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

While the club are being praised for reaching out on more forms of Social Media to a specific target group, I think they'll have to accept criticism that they're abandoning another target group.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    While the club are being praised for reaching out on more forms of Social Media to a specific target group, I think they'll have to accept criticism that they're abandoning another target group.
    Player Profile - Favourite Drink? Lager shandy - every single player in the 70s and 80s - the last time I bought one!

There are plenty of other places to find out about what's going on with players and clubs nowadays - life moves on.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Find this all a bit of a shame, even though other than big league games or cup ties I don’t buy them any more. I really don’t like everything going digital - I’ll always have a paper copy of a ticket for say a gig, same as I’ll use my season ticket card instead of the qr code mobile version. Unfortunately it’s just the way the modern age is.

I must have over a thousand from everywhere up my mums attic, a fair few older ones from the 50s and 60s, most from way back to when my dad started going home and away in the late 70s until I became drinking age at the game about 2007 stopped buying them. Also got lots of random ones from over the years that have been given to me, loads of obscure England national team ones for instance as a guy my dad worked with followed them home and away and he’d give them to me, I used to love reading them and I still enjoy going through them now and again. It’s quite sad but I suppose understandable and I can’t really even grumble as like I said I no longer buy them. Hopefully the still produce them for derbies and Scottish cup ties.

I’m sure they could produce something less substantial and glossy and in much smaller numbers. Unless I’m tripping there was a very basic Hibs programme in circulation for a bit maybe 15 years ago that cost a quid or so before reverting back to the thicker ones full of adverts. They were genuine Hibs programmes and not a fanzine.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

The reason for that is probably because this season the only way you could buy a programme was either directly from the printers or from a programme dealer as no printed programmes were on sale outside ER on match days.

Given Hibs have not taken in any money at the closed food kiosks this season I assume they’ll not be re-opening them as they’re not making any money?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

In that case and as much of a shame as it is, totally understandable
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller