hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know the figures but i'd love to know how many programmes were sold for the average home match of say 13.5k. I'd hazard a guess at the low hundreds. I think it's probably a sensible, realistic decision.
    Minuscule clubs all over the UK produce a match programme.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I actually think Hibs have gotten this completely the wrong way round. They could have used social media to engage with fans….got them to share what stories and content they wanted each programme to explore…eg. What player would you love a profile of? Name your favourite memory against Dundee United. Etc etc…..what questions do you want to put to the gaffer….and then built the programme with content much more connected with stories fans wanted to read….they could then use their digital channels to market it and get people interested in picking one up…they could have used modern comms channels to enhance the quality of the product rather than kill it off.

Anyway, I’m sure they will come back at some time…poor decision by the club. Amongst many good ones..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Trying to push paper media is pointless, and backwards. People don't want it. By "people" I don't mean every single person, I'm aware there are a tiny minority who'll talk about traditions and the likes, but most people aren't at all interested.

This is completely the right move by Hibs.

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    Nah. You’re wrong, there was a subscription service to get every Home match day programme delivered to your home…via Curtis sports

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Happily stand correct. I was sure I had heard or read that.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Trying to push paper media is pointless, and backwards. People don't want it. By "people" I don't mean every single person, I'm aware there are a tiny minority who'll talk about traditions and the likes, but most people aren't at all interested.

That’s the most bumptious post on the thread yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post
    Kieran Power has suggested we’re in the low hundreds in terms of programs sold.

If that’s the case then it’s no wonder we’ve stopped.
    Do you have a link to this quote?
    Pre lockdown I’m certain it wasn’t low hundreds then lockdown meant mail order only which is a policy Hibs have kept post lockdown.
    KP talks a lot of sense but I’d like this one to be backed up.

Would imagine the downloads are so low because hibs didn’t push it ?

I was sure Season ticket holders were meant to get it last season as a download and never once seen the link & I’ve not seen any physical sales since we got back in the stadium .

I would imagine the type of supporter who wants a programme isn’t the one who is going to download it to there phone so if we are taking this decision on downloads without looking at physical sales again then that’s poor

This is something which the club really should have consulted the fans on which doesn’t appear to have happened. Think the pod casts ect are good but I reckon there is still a market for programmes in physical form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gluing myself to my seat on Saturday,. Or lying down in front of Big Ron's car. Or something.

@hibs.net private member

Fancy working with me on the replacement ??

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Count me in.
    Use @johnnyboys match report as the content for
    “Previous match” :).

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

It's completely the right move by Hibs if you aren't interested in programmes.

If however you have been collecting programmes since you were a youngster then it's a terrible decision.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

If however you have been collecting programmes since you were a youngster then it's a terrible decision.
    That’s more about how the decision impacts people rather than whether Hibs have made a good decision. If it was loss making and only selling in the low hundreds then unfortunately overall it is the right decision.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    That’s more about how the decision impacts people rather than whether Hibs have made a good decision. If it was loss making and only selling in the low hundreds then unfortunately overall it is the right decision.
    Before lockdown the programmes were selling well and not in their low hundreds.

Since then they haven't tried a leg and the numbers now are in their low hundreds due to not being sold at the ground and the digital version being poor.

A decent production would help and am not convinced it wouldn't at least break even.

Everything isn't about making a profit.

@hibs.net private member
    When you don’t market it , don’t create a decent product and don’t sell it at home games , it’s always going to sell a small amount and be a failure . It’s remarkable that a few hundred are currently bought .

I can only assume Hibs have wanted rid of it and they have taken an approach to kill it ..

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Hibs to stop producing match day programmes

Is a quarterly magazine the right replacement?

I would have thought that it would be better based around the league fixtures, reflecting/ looking forward to each round of matches.

Otherwise I can’t see what content they will hold back from social media to give it some freshness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Radium; 14-10-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Coaching Staff
    When you don’t market it , don’t create a decent product and don’t sell it at home games , it’s always going to sell a small amount and be a failure . It’s remarkable that a few hundred are currently bought .

I can only assume Hibs have wanted rid of it and they have taken an approach to kill it ..
    They’ve been on sale for years and suspect sales were dwindling anyway, regardless of effort or content.

I’m sure they will be missed by some but that doesn’t mean it is worth the effort or cost anymore.

@hibs.net private member
    They’ve been on sale for years and suspect sales were dwindling anyway, regardless of effort or content.

I’m sure they will be missed by some but that doesn’t mean it is worth the effort or cost anymore.
    Wasn’t that long ago they were making a small
    Profit ..under John Stephen’s ….so not sure where you get that from ….

Testimonial Due
    I feel like nostalgia is fueling a lot of the uproar about this decision. I would be interested to see how many programmes Hibs sold per game during the last full season that wasn't interrupted by Covid. I bet it was tiny. I have a framed programme of my first game and it's a shame folk won't be able to do that in future. However, print media is dying and time has moved on.

Most people won't even notice its gone, away from a few people getting worked up on Social media this isn't something that many feel strongly about.
    Of course its sad for collectors, the end of steam was a sad day for rail enthusiasts, things move on - for better or worse.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    I feel like nostalgia is fueling a lot of the uproar about this decision. I would be interested to see how many programmes Hibs sold per game during the last full season that wasn't interrupted by Covid. I bet it was tiny. I have a framed programme of my first game and it's a shame folk won't be able to do that in future. However, print media is dying and time has moved on.
    Nostalgia isn’t necessarily a bad thing though . Football is full of heritage and tradition .

If they had given it a trial period , really given it a go , and been clear that unless the take up was there it would cease ….then they would have my full support

Nostalgia aside - that’s my main gripe .

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Shamelessly nicked off Twitter

sti quarter mile stock

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post

Most people won't even notice its gone, away from a few people getting worked up on Social media this isn't something that many feel strongly about.
    Of course its sad for collectors, the end of steam was a sad day for rail enthusiasts, things move on - for better or worse.
    I reckon about 50% or more of the contributors to this thread alone think differently and as for Social Media…the club don’t give a **** if you ask them anything on any platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I reckon about 50% or more of the contributors to this thread alone think differently and as for Social Media…the club don’t give a **** if you ask them anything on any platform.
    Yes, that's my point - those getting worked up about it on here probably aren't at all representative.
    The nature of such forums is that those with a gripe, genuine or otherwise, are always going to be the most vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Yes, that's my point - those getting worked up about it on here probably aren't at all representative.
    The nature of such forums is that those with a gripe, genuine or otherwise, are always going to be the most vocal.
    I’m representative or is it only you?

I wrote for the programme in the season that was curtailed. Back then it was a proper 64 pager with features and extra bits exclusive to the programme - stuff you couldn’t read anywhere else. It was advertised in advance and you knew there was X or Y feature coming up.

I’m led to believe it sold well, in the thousands, and was worth picking up.

Some of my stuff was later drip fed out on the club website during the off-seasons.

It’s no surprise the open rates for the digital programmes have been poor, the reality is there was very little in them worth clicking for. It’s a catch 22, if the programme isn’t worth reading then it won’t sell. If it doesn’t sell then it’s deemed not worth making an effort to make it worthwhile.

A quarterly magazine sounds fine but at 100 pages it’s not going to be a lot more substantial than a standard match programme was only a couple of years ago. Kilmarnock ditched their match programme but they’re producing a club mag every month, not every three.

New podcast was a great listen, and it’s good to see the club developing the media output, but if Spartans and Leith Athletic can produce a programme every other week I really struggle to see how Hibs can’t.

I'm not a programme collector, but I always buy one because it's part of being at the game. It makes me feel part of the occasion, and is something to read on my transport home.

Serious question - is everyone's eyesight so good that they can read the names on players' shirts from all over the pitch? I for one can usually only make out the numbers, so the team line-up in the programme is invaluable for glancing at during the game.

Online information is all well and good, but nowhere near as convenient as a handy printed programme. And phones often work too slowly at games because of shortage of bandwidth caused by too many folk gawping at their phones instead of watching the match.

And I don't buy the theory that programmes make a loss. As another poster has pointed out, clubs throughout the UK at all levels produce programmes. I believe that many leagues, certainly in England, stipulate that all member clubs most produce a programme of a certain standard, so I am actually mystified as to how Hibs are allowed to get away with this.

Terrible decision by the club. Sorry this was a bit of a rant, I had to get this off my chest.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    New podcast was a great listen, and it’s good to see the club developing the media output, but if Spartans and Leith Athletic can produce a programme every other week I really struggle to see how Hibs can’t.[/QUOTE]

Its not really a case of cant though is it, they must have looked at the amount selling and the cost and decided it wasnt viable, at the end of the day its a business and they need to make a decision on whats best for the club, there will always be the odd few that dont like decisions like this

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    I wrote for the programme in the season that was curtailed. Back then it was a proper 64 pager with features and extra bits exclusive to the programme - stuff you couldn’t read anywhere else. It was advertised in advance and you knew there was X or Y feature coming up.

I’m led to believe it sold well, in the thousands, and was worth picking up.

Some of my stuff was later drip fed out on the club website during the off-seasons.

It’s no surprise the open rates for the digital programmes have been poor, the reality is there was very little in them worth clicking for. It’s a catch 22, if the programme isn’t worth reading then it won’t sell. If it doesn’t sell then it’s deemed not worth making an effort to make it worthwhile.

A quarterly magazine sounds fine but at 100 pages it’s not going to be a lot more substantial than a standard match programme was only a couple of years ago. Kilmarnock ditched their match programme but they’re producing a club mag every month, not every three.

New podcast was a great listen, and it’s good to see the club developing the media output, but if Spartans and Leith Athletic can produce a programme every other week I really struggle to see how Hibs can’t.
    First two paragraphs and the last one are my point earlier in the thread. It’s never been “low hundreds’ until it was watered down along with everything else and made harder to purchase. The paper issues past season and a half have been ***** in content and that’s nothing to do with the environmental policy at the club.
    HSL to produce one? (tin hat on) There appear to be people interested in doing something.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    I'm not a programme collector, but I always buy one because it's part of being at the game. It makes me feel part of the occasion, and is something to read on my transport home.

Serious question - is everyone's eyesight so good that they can read the names on players' shirts from all over the pitch? I for one can usually only make out the numbers, so the team line-up in the programme is invaluable for glancing at during the game.

Online information is all well and good, but nowhere near as convenient as a handy printed programme. And phones often work too slowly at games because of shortage of bandwidth caused by too many folk gawping at their phones instead of watching the match.

And I don't buy the theory that programmes make a loss. As another poster has pointed out, clubs throughout the UK at all levels produce programmes. I believe that many leagues, certainly in England, stipulate that all member clubs most produce a programme of a certain standard, so I am actually mystified as to how Hibs are allowed to get away with this.

Terrible decision by the club. Sorry this was a bit of a rant, I had to get this off my chest.
    So you have a pop at folk looking at their phone during a game but you want a programme to look at so you can get player numbers!!

looking to be greenest club in scotland - reduce carbon footprint and tree felling for paper
    kids are digital they are the future
    old men dont like change hence grumpy

how have you all managed without the pink?

Quote Originally Posted by j'adorehibs View Post
    looking to be greenest club in scotland - reduce carbon footprint and tree felling for paper
    kids are digital they are the future
    old men dont like change hence grumpy

how have you all managed without the pink?
    Same way you managed without punctuation.