hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Renton Laidlaw dies

not my sport but i've certainly heard his name over the years, a Hibby as well

Renton Laidlaw: Former BBC golf correspondent dies, aged 82 - BBC Sport

Tributes have been paid to respected golf broadcaster and journalist Renton Laidlaw, who has died, aged 82.
    He reported on 58 Open Championships and 42 Masters during his career, which included extensive work for the BBC.

The Scot was BBC golf correspondent for 15 years and presented Sport on 2.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    More fine tributes to an excellent golf commentator in this article.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/tou...UXo41gRqv7di1A

"He was a great man but always got upset when the Hibs lost!" - Quote from radio scotland tonight.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 13-10-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Very sad to read about his passing. I managed to find the 1995 Ryder Cup VHS footage on YouTube earlier where Renton provided commentary, such a great announcer.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, he was a lifelong Hibs fan and a good friend of Bernard Gallacher, another big Hibby. From an era when there was arguably a friendlier, more respectful relationship between the Edinburgh clubs' fans:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/...aidlaw-3419745

A really fine journalist and broadcaster who was much loved by those who knew and worked with him.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Through the years, I have had my favorite story-tellers in the game of golf—from Bernard Darwin to Herbert Warren Wind to some of today’s writers. But there are also storytellers in the game whose voices stick with you as much as their words. Renton Laidlaw was such a teller of golf’s stories. He was a truly important voice in our game’s history, and we will miss him greatly! Just recently, I was honored when Renton asked me to contribute to his book, “Memories Too Good to Forget,” and with over 60 years in the game, Renton had countless amusing stories and anecdotes. To reflect the depth of our relationship, Renton covered my first Open Championship in 1962 and my last in 2005. Renton was a true professional, who approached his work with pleasantness and genuine kindness. We lost Renton too soon, too quickly, but thanks to him we have countless memories too good for any of us to forget. Our prayers and our heart go out to his family, his many friends, and his countless fans. —Jack Nicklaus

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Through the years, I have had my favorite story-tellers in the game of golf—from Bernard Darwin to Herbert Warren Wind to some of today’s writers. But there are also storytellers in the game whose voices stick with you as much as their words. Renton Laidlaw was such a teller of golf’s stories. He was a truly important voice in our game’s history, and we will miss him greatly! Just recently, I was honored when Renton asked me to contribute to his book, “Memories Too Good to Forget,” and with over 60 years in the game, Renton had countless amusing stories and anecdotes. To reflect the depth of our relationship, Renton covered my first Open Championship in 1962 and my last in 2005. Renton was a true professional, who approached his work with pleasantness and genuine kindness. We lost Renton too soon, too quickly, but thanks to him we have countless memories too good for any of us to forget. Our prayers and our heart go out to his family, his many friends, and his countless fans. —Jack Nicklaus
    Wow what a tribute that is from Jack.

Obviously missed reading about this sad news until just reading the OP. Saddened to hear about his death - like many have said, he was great to listen to and well respected by the golfing greats. The quote from Jack Nicklaus was great to read.