97 63.82%
  • Against

42 27.63%
  • Undecided

13 8.55%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

VAR for or against

With the news that VAR is possibly coming to Scotland what are peoples opinions on whether we should adopt it or not

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I voted for. It’s inevitable and if used properly is a benefit. Pleased the diddy leagues trialed it first. I’d prefer goal line technology first though if cash is an issue.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

If used the correct way. So not like Premiership last season, or women's World Cup (still raging about that).

I think those watching the game in the booth should only let the ref know there's maybe been something missed. I don't think they should ever overrule the ref with them not seeing what happened as it undermines them.

For, only so long I can put up with the current useless bunch of Scottish refs and there poor decisions

If used correctly, I'm in favour.

If not, forget it.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I’m dead against it, but I thought a poll would be good to gauge fan’s opinion. I’m sure the club keep an eye on these boards so I’d like to think they’d take the results into consideration.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm definitely in favour.

The horrific sense of injustice I've felt on so many occasions which would have been avoided by a second look weighs much heavier than the potential for an initially muted celebration of a goal.

The cup final penalty outside the box, John Macdonald's dive, Colin Campbell's refused penalty, the Falkirk handball etc etc, all, or certainly most, of them would have been reversed.

There will always be controversy in football when an individual's opinion is required for a decision, but if I was a referee today, I'd want VAR to help me get things right.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’m for it but I do think it needs reformed in its current guise to be as close to TMO in rugby as possible.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Ruins the game, breaks it up and doesn't resolve the issue it was meant to resolve.

An absolutely massive 'no' from me.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For, only so long I can put up with the current useless bunch of Scottish refs and there poor decisions
    Hmmmm..... Who do you think will be making the var decisions?

It'll be some of the aforementioned dud Scottish refs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Hmmmm..... Who do you think will be making the var decisions?

It'll be some of the aforementioned dud Scottish refs!!!
    Ofc but at least it would give them the opportunity to reverse the wrong calls and get the correct decision, my issue with it is a lot of leagues rules seem to differ, I watch aloft of Italian football and don't want the kind of excessive penalty giving for accidental handballs etc.
    Last edited by LunasBoots; 02-10-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Will never, ever, ever be for it. I would rather suffer watching Hibs lose a cup final unjustly than have the joy of spontaneity taken away from me every time we score. Simple as that

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    yes please

can we start with the game at Mordor tomorrow

Absolutely not.

Takes away another variable. Dodgy referees and linesmen are all part and parcel of the game. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes against you.

It’s all part of the fun. And I’m totally against sanitising the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm definitely in favour.

The horrific sense of injustice I've felt on so many occasions which would have been avoided by a second look weighs much heavier than the potential for an initially muted celebration of a goal.

The cup final penalty outside the box, John Macdonald's dive, Colin Campbell's refused penalty, the Falkirk handball etc etc, all, or certainly most, of them would have been reversed.

There will always be controversy in football when an individual's opinion is required for a decision, but if I was a referee today, I'd want VAR to help me get things right.
    Lewis Stevenson’s two handed push on Waghorn in the cup final would have resulted in a penalty with VAR.

Some go for you, some against. I like the randomness of dodgy referring and offside goals.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Against but its where top flight football across the world is going. I'd imagine far more youngsters are in favour than us old/middle aged farts are against.

You cant hold the tide back.

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    Will never, ever, ever be for it. I would rather suffer watching Hibs lose a cup final unjustly than have the joy of spontaneity taken away from me every time we score. Simple as that
    I’m the same. Maybe it won’t be as bad as I imagine it’s going to be, but at this moment in time I’m questioning whether I want to be a part of football with var. I’ve been a fan all my life going home and away, but this seems like a development to make the game more palatable for those watching on tv. Can anyone give me an example of how var improves the experience of being in the stadium?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m the same. Maybe it won’t be as bad as I imagine it’s going to be, but at this moment in time I’m questioning whether I want to be a part of football with var. I’ve been a fan all my life going home and away, but this seems like a development to make the game more palatable for those watching on tv. Can anyone give me an example of how var improves the experience of being in the stadium?
    No but back in the day I guess fans opposed the implenatation of cross bars and goalkeeprs not being able the handle the ball anywhere in their own half or the offside rule. As I said earlier it coming (if not already there) in all top flight leagues across major football playing nations acrsoss the world. Im old school too and would rather the ref mae the decision but its simply not where the game is going or infact is. Scotland not having it now is behind the times.

Generally in favour but if we're going to get to the stage of drawing lines on a screen to determine whether or not a player's armpit was 2mm offside in the lead up to a goal then forget it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post

Would only take goal line technology

Nothing else required

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Lewis Stevenson’s two handed push on Waghorn in the cup final would have resulted in a penalty with VAR.

Some go for you, some against. I like the randomness of dodgy referring and offside goals.
    And with VAR the wait would have been over with a penatly in 1979 without the need for two replays. Theres nothing random about decisions going the way of the The Thes

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

On review Andy Halliday did actually win the cup in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    No but back in the day I guess fans opposed the implenatation of cross bars and goalkeeprs not being able the handle the ball anywhere in their own half or the offside rule. As I said earlier it coming (if not already there) in all top flight leagues across major football playing nations acrsoss the world. Im old school too and would rather the ref mae the decision but its simply not where the game is going or infact is. Scotland not having it now is behind the times.
    All those things you list were visible to fans in the stadium, var is something that excludes the fans in the stadium, you only know what’s going on if you’re watching on tv. Maybe I’m just being old fashioned, but I still believe that football should be prioritising those who have bought tickets for the game.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    On review Andy Halliday did actually win the cup in 2016.
    I’m referring you to the monitor.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m dead against it, but I thought a poll would be good to gauge fan’s opinion. I’m sure the club keep an eye on these boards so I’d like to think they’d take the results into consideration.
    Why would you be against it, the 2 teams that will suffer are The the,s and celtc, they get all the dodgy calls, VAR will hopefully put a stop to it, and dodgy refs will retire or leave the game before it’s introduced, it will be great for the Scottish game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    And with VAR the wait would have been over with a penatly in 1979 without the need for two replays. Theres nothing random about decisions going the way of the The Thes

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Fair enough.

But imagine the David Gray moment with VAR? Couldn’t stand waiting to find out if someone found something wrong with it.

Stokesey gives Tavernier a wee nudge for the second, the bar stewards would have chopped that off too.

I know for every good example there’s a bad one in reply.

But the bee all and end all (for me at least) is taking away the spontaneity and some of the randomness out of the game.

VAR would result in the old firm losing quite a few points each season.
    The stop/start of it is pish,but anything that decreases the cheating/ineptitude of our officials is welcome imo.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Why would you be against it, the 2 teams that will suffer are The the,s and celtc, they get all the dodgy calls, VAR will hopefully put a stop to it, and dodgy refs will retire or leave the game before it’s introduced, it will be great for the Scottish game IMO.
    There is no competition in the world that uses VAR which has eliminated dodgy calls.

Refereeing standards in Scotland are abysmal.

I don’t think VAR is the answer however. When it gets to the point of players not celebrating legitimate goals through fear of VAR chopping the goal off 5 minutes later is sucking any passion the league south of the border had left, I don’t want to see it here.

It’s time for the SFA to put their hands in their pockets, and appoint a limited number of full-time referees - not this part-time referee one minute, leader of the Scottish Conservative party the next. Have referees full time, who train during the week, and reflect on the games they’ve officiated.

The current system isn’t working - by making refereeing professional and full time we can drive up the standards, and not change the nature of the game that VAR would.