hibs.net Messageboard

2021 Indian Wells

Andy Murray won 6-3 6-2 in the early hours against Adrian Mannarino in the opening round of the Indian Wells Masters. He will now play 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz in round two.

Not such good news for Emma Raducanu though as she lost in straight sets to Aliaksandra Sasnovich.

It's only one tournament of course but it is something I feared might happen after watching her over the last month appearing at the Met Gala, the James Bond premiere and playing tennis with the Duchess of Cambridge.

She's clearly very talented but at only 18 years of age, she really needs a great team around her to manage her correctly outside of tennis and to make sure that she doesn't become the next Anna Kournikova, in a tennis sense at least.

Obviously Kournikova has had a successful career outside of tennis but she could have done so much more in tennis and I just hope that doesn't happen with Raducanu as she is so very talented.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andy Murray won 6-3 6-2 in the early hours against Adrian Mannarino in the opening round of the Indian Wells Masters. He will now play 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz in round two.

Not such good news for Emma Raducanu though as she lost in straight sets to Aliaksandra Sasnovich.

It's only one tournament of course but it is something I feared might happen after watching her over the last month appearing at the Met Gala, the James Bond premiere and playing tennis with the Duchess of Cambridge.

She's clearly very talented but at only 18 years of age, she really needs a great team around her to manage her correctly outside of tennis and to make sure that she doesn't become the next Anna Kournikova, in a tennis sense at least.

Obviously Kournikova has had a successful career outside of tennis but she could have done so much more in tennis and I just hope that doesn't happen with Raducanu as she is so very talented.
    Maybe not a bad thing for her to be brought back to earth like that, as she herself acknowledged. She's got a big job on her hands to acclimatise to being a global star and needs to take her time to put a proper team in place.

She could, in reality, probably retire now and live off the extraordinary flood of endorsements which have come her way but she seems level headed, intelligent and very clear about how she wants to progress her career. Good luck to her.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Maybe not a bad thing for her to be brought back to earth like that, as she herself acknowledged. She's got a big job on her hands to acclimatise to being a global star and needs to take her time to put a proper team in place.

She could, in reality, probably retire now and live off the extraordinary flood of endorsements which have come her way but she seems level headed, intelligent and very clear about how she wants to progress her career. Good luck to her.
    I really hope so, she clearly has a huge talent.

Alcaraz wins the first set 7-5 but it looks like Murray will take the match into a decider as he's 5-2 up in the second set.

Murray eventually won 5-7 6-3 6-2 and will now probably play Alexander Zverev in round two as he is currently 3-0 up in the deciding set v Jenson Brooksby.

Murray eventually won 5-7 6-3 6-2 and will now probably play Alexander Zverev in round two as he is currently 3-0 up in the deciding set v Jenson Brooksby.

I note Murray used a Kyrgios trick by serving an underarm ace:

Andy Murray hits underarm ace in Alcaraz battle (msn.com)

Murray starting shortly v Zverev - live on Amazon Prime.

Murray breaks already!

2-0 first set.

All going downhill now sadly.

Zverev wins 4 games in a row and now leads 4-3.

Zverev takes the opening set 6-4.

I'd expect him to go on and win this now so bed time for me!

Andy is conducting himself admirably. He's modestly stated that he's not deserving of a place in the Davis Cup team and pays tribute to his fellow Brits who are now way ahead of him in the rankings.

Contrast that with Djokovic refusing to be jabbed and expecting to play in Australia. I like watching Novak but sometimes it's not all about winning but behaving decently too.

Cameron Norrie plays in his first ever significant quarter final shortly against Diego Schwartzman.

Positive start by Norrie as he breaks in the opening game.

Unbelievable start from Norrie so far, double break and 3-0 up.

I believe Schwartzman's only won two points so far!

Outstanding from Norrie - 6-0 first set.

Wow.

Brilliant from Norrie who wins 6-0 6-2.

Now plays Grigor Dimitrov or Hubert Hurkacz in the semi finals.

Brilliant from Norrie who wins 6-0 6-2.

Now plays Grigor Dimitrov or Hubert Hurkacz in the semi finals.
    That's a really impressive win. It also saw him replace Evans as British No 1. The guy's worked really hard and looks the real deal.

Think he has some Scottish blood too, though has never lived here.

That's a really impressive win. It also saw him replace Evans as British No 1. The guy's worked really hard and looks the real deal.

Think he has some Scottish blood too, though has never lived here.
    He was born in South Africa to a Scottish father and a Welsh mother.

Outstanding once again from Cameron Norrie as he wins in straight sets v Grigor Dimitrov to reach the Indian Wells Masters final!

Norrie on tonight v Nikoloz Basilashvili in the final.

Midnight start though so not great for British viewers.

Norrie wins! His dad was from Glasgow. Otherwise no Scots connection I'm afraid despite the name. He'll be UK no 1 now.

Norrie was immense. Tremendous achievement. Well done to him.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Norrie wins! His dad was from Glasgow. Otherwise no Scots connection I'm afraid despite the name. He'll be UK no 1 now.
    Born in South Africa to a Scottish father and a Welsh mother.

I didn't see any of it but that's an outstanding win for him!

Hope he can push on now.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    His folks live in New Zealand and have both lived abroad most of their lives. If you look at Norrie's bio I'm not sure he's ever actually been to Scotland, but it's definitely in his blood.

His folks live in New Zealand and have both lived abroad most of their lives. If you look at Norrie's bio I'm not sure he's ever actually been to Scotland, but it's definitely in his blood.
    “I’m pretty Scottish, I think,” the 22-year-old qualifier said, a little sheepishly, after the welcome injury retirement of Dimitry Tursonov in his first match on Monday. “My dad was born in Glasgow, my mum in Cardiff. I’ve been to Scotland a few times but I don’t like the weather. I went to Aberdeen; that’s where my dad’s side of the family live. I’ve got cousins and uncles in Kintore. None of them were here today, I’m just here by myself.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...pen-grand-slam