hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There a lot of people like doing family stuff on the 1st.

For anyone that might not be able to make the Monday, there will be someone who can, who maybe couldnít have done the Saturday.

Iíd imagine most folk that want to be there, will be.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last time we played Hearts over the Christmas/New Year period it was 12:30 on a Thursday. The fact itís a Public Holiday does make a difference.

Some people might miss it, some other people might be able to go in their place. As much as I think itís a crap time, I just donít think thereíll be a huge swing either way.
    On the 1st or 2nd I would fully expect a daytime kick off. As soon as we start extending the holidays beyond the traditional 2 days weíre moving into territory that leaves many fans missing the game.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

For anyone that might not be able to make the Monday, there will be someone who can, who maybe couldnít have done the Saturday.

Doing family stuff is a choice, having to work isnít, thatís a terrible comparison if Iím being honest. I remember the derby was always on the 1st and there was never anyone complaining theyíd miss it because they had to do family stuff.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    On the 1st or 2nd I would fully expect a daytime kick off. As soon as we start extending the holidays beyond the traditional 2 days weíre moving into territory that leaves many fans missing the game.
    Iím yet to be convinced many will miss the game. The only reason the 1st or 2nd arenít the holidays is because theyíre weekend and the holiday subsequently being taken on the Monday isnít anything new.

Iím yet to be convinced many will miss the game. The only reason the 1st or 2nd arenít the holidays is because theyíre weekend and the holiday subsequently being taken on the Monday isnít anything new.
    Thatís the whole point Iíve been trying to make. Of course the holiday being taken on the Monday is nothing new, but people not getting that holiday is a common occurrence these days. Iíve no idea what profession you work in, but I think this debate can be split by those who work in an industry that will automatically give you the days off and those that wonít.
    This whole thing is driven by a company (sky) who operate in a country that has a long tradition of playing games on bank holidays, other than New Yearís Day we donít have that tradition and rescheduling games for the 3rd is a step too far imo.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member zimmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    OK, so given the 1st is on a Saturday, presumably you will be off on the Monday (unless sat is a normal working day)?

I really struggle with how this is an issue for most people......
    I can't speak for most people but I get 5 days annual leave automatically taken. This year its the 27th to 31st December, so annual leave on the 27/28/29/30/31 December and back at work on the Monday

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Thatís the whole point Iíve been trying to make. Of course the holiday being taken on the Monday is nothing new, but people not getting that holiday is a common occurrence these days. Iíve no idea what profession you work in, but I think this debate can be split by those who work in an industry that will automatically give you the days off and those that wonít.
    This whole thing is driven by a company (sky) who operate in a country that has a long tradition of playing games on bank holidays, other than New Yearís Day we donít have that tradition and rescheduling games for the 3rd is a step too far imo.
    Iím not sure when we last played on New Yearís Day, that tradition has been long gone and thatís been down to scheduling the vast majority of the time rather than Sky.

I guess my argument is that I still donít believe itíll be that common for lots of folk not to get the holiday. Obviously certain industries and public service excepted.

@hibs.net private member zimmer's Avatar
    Iím not sure when we last played on New Yearís Day, that tradition has been long gone and thatís been down to scheduling the vast majority of the time rather than Sky.

I guess my argument is that I still donít believe itíll be that common for lots of folk not to get the holiday. Obviously certain industries and public service excepted.
    I'd argue that is there many industries that do recognise public holidays? I don't work in the public sector so can't comment on that but I've never had the 2nd as a holiday in the private sector.
    Last edited by zimmer; 09-10-2021 at 12:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Horrible dateÖHorrible Kick Off timeÖitís just horrible.

We played on New Years Day at Tynecastle about 6 or 7 years ago. Can't remember anything else apart from that as I was still absolutely hammered from the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I'd argue that is there many industries that do recognise public holidays? I don't work in the public sector so can't comment on that but I've never had the 2nd as a holiday in the private sector.
    Iíd agree thereís plenty places that donít recognise the 2nd, but thatís not really an issue in this case as the Monday will be the public holiday for the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I can't speak for most people but I get 5 days annual leave automatically taken. This year its the 27th to 31st December, so annual leave on the 27/28/29/30/31 December and back at work on the Monday
    The 27th and 28th are national holidays this year, as is the 3rd. Worth checking that you are back on the 3rd 👍

Bonkers date. Not sure what sky are thinking and probably shows they donít care if a uk national audience tune in as England and a big chunk of Scotland will be back to work.

This is the lack of brand building Ron is going on about. Saying that did the club agree or was their hand forced with KOíS. the later date might give Mueller time to bed in moreÖ.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Bonkers date. Not sure what sky are thinking and probably shows they donít care if a uk national audience tune in as England and a big chunk of Scotland will be back to work.

This is the lack of brand building Ron is going on about. Saying that did the club agree or was their hand forced with KOíS. the later date might give Mueller time to bed in moreÖ.
    No doubt sky can dictate the date and time. Don't really understand the kick off time surely even a 6pm kick off would have been better. Maybe police have had some say re that.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We played on New Years Day at Tynecastle about 6 or 7 years ago. Can't remember anything else apart from that as I was still absolutely hammered from the night before.
    Last time we played on New Yearís Day was 2011. Fairly sure it was Kevin Kyleís late winner.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post

The majority of people in England and Scotland will be off that day as its a National Holiday throughout the whole UK. I'd argue that the viewing figures will be higher as it'll be the only game on.

Thereís games played during the day, on a weekday most festive periods.
    Outwith Boxing Day? Thatís the only day in the Scottish calendar that Iíve known a midweek game to have a lunchtime kick off (now that we donít play on NYD).

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Outwith Boxing Day? Thatís the only day in the Scottish calendar that Iíve known a midweek game to have a lunchtime kick off (now that we donít play on NYD).
    The EPL has a full fixture card scheduled for 3pm on Tuesday 28th December as its the substitute holiday for Boxing Day which falls on the Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    The EPL has a full fixture card scheduled for 3pm on Tuesday 28th December as its the substitute holiday for Boxing Day which falls on the Sunday.
    So not Scotland then? What happens down there has no bearing on me. Iíll be surprised if Iíve ever attended a game outwith Boxing Day or New Yearís Day in Scotland where itís a midweek daytime kick off.

Sure we played Rangers at Ibrox during the day, Championship season. Was meant to be Boxing Day but pushed back a day or two. Think there was a bit of fuss last year with Aberdeen playing during the day between Christmas and New Year, not on a public holiday.

First Team Breakthrough DavieRoy's Avatar
    Easy to blame the SPFL and Sky.

We arenít exactly selling out games on Saturday at 3pm just now.

Plus, what does it say about workers rights nowadays that people donít get holidays in lieu over New Year.

They arenít even showing the Dundee Derby on TV!

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieRoy View Post

Plus, what does it say about workers rights nowadays that people donít get holidays in lieu over New Year.

I'm don't see how the number of tickets we're selling just now is relevant.

Sure we played Rangers at Ibrox during the day, Championship season. Was meant to be Boxing Day but pushed back a day or two. Think there was a bit of fuss last year with Aberdeen playing during the day between Christmas and New Year, not on a public holiday.
    Think your right - although it was on my birthday so I wasnít giving any hoots about it that day 😂

Generally speaking more people are likely to be off the whole week between xmas and new year than they are after new year - although still a pain in the arse for some.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieRoy View Post

It had not occurred to me before but recent reporting puts out a very plausible reason for 3pm Saturday being traditional kick off time. Most people, especially those in manual labour, worked a morning half day on a Saturday as part of their normal working week. Finishing around 12 or 1 allowed time to visit the pub with their wages and then to the game. Almost ritual in its frequency, especially when you could rely on a home game every second week.

Things have changed across the board, in society and socially, as well as within the game and the game has no choice but to move with those times. Broader exposure, sponsorship and TV money is what keeps the wheels oiled. Working hours are infinitely variable as are holidays, as is disposable income. Pressures from technology are huge and celebrity is everything to some.

So what more can football do?
    First it relies on the loyalty of an ageing support to bring through another generation. Without that the youngsters are drawn towards the celebrity driven larger leagues. So the club has to raise its profile and we are seeing that starting under RG. Not to mention other forward thinking club chairs.

The stadium progress is good but has a way to go.
    The approaches to the stadium are almost as important as the interior and its great to see some work going on there too.

First priority has to be the home support experience but as things progress, I firmly believe that we have to make the experience for away fans as impressive as for the home fans. People talk about things like Killie Pies, or the atmosphere in the ridiculously small Tynecastle. Our home is significantly more impressive in so many ways and why shouldnít we ensure the game day experience is as good for away fans? Showing our class and respect for their experience would certainly raise the respect they already have for Hibs, however grudgingly. I want young kids going home talking excitedly about their match day experience at ER being way ahead of their experience at other grounds. And their elders having to agree or their protests sounding pathetic. The knock-on from that might be to attract more talent our way from grass roots.

Back to kick off times. I like the idea, pushed a couple of years back, by Aberdeenís chairman, that the league allow kick off times to be moved to allow for worldwide audiences.
    11:00am kick off would be an evening game in the Far East
    8:30pm kick off would be an early evening game in New York, or 12:30pm in Las Vegas

We no longer have a labour driven clock dictating times so why not recognise that and move with the current environment? I
    Last edited by CentreLine; 09-10-2021 at 09:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Still can't believe there's a "dry your eyes" theme here. We're getting mucked about and there's folk who won't make it to the biggest game on the calendar as a result. I'm definitely not going to shrug my shoulders at fellow Hibbies who've been stuffed by this.
    What about all the Hibbies who can now make the the game who could not before, would you move the game back to the 2nd and deny them the opportunity to attend?

Modern working schedules means there's no perfect scenario here, some are always going to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    What about all the Hibbies who can now make the the game who could not before, would you move the game back to the 2nd and deny them the opportunity to attend?

Modern working schedules means there's no perfect scenario here, some are always going to miss out.
    Correct.

As it stands, I'm unlikely to even see the game on TV which is frustrating but that could happen under other circumstances eg if the game was lunchtime on Sunday 2nd, I could be under instruction to attend a family event so instead of complaining, I can accept the change and get on with my life.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Last one I remember was the 4-4 game at tiny - 3pm ko on 2/1 when itís not a national holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Aye itís a sad state of affairs in general. Back in the day, January 1st was all about the derby. Out on Hogmanay and then the derby in the afternoon at 3pm.

No better way of starting the New Year than having your ugly neighbours over for a rip roaring game.

In my opinion, itís a sad decline for supporters of both sides.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Aye itís a sad state of affairs in general. Back in the day, January 1st was all about the derby. Out on Hogmanay and then the derby in the afternoon at 3pm.

No better way of starting the New Year than having your ugly neighbours over for a rip roaring game.

Yep, going to sound all sad now. It was **** having a birthday on New Yearís Day but the derby kind of felt like it belonged to me on my birthday and made it special when otherwise peopleís attention was all on New Year. And not just as a kid. The derby was a huge part of Hogmanay/ Neíer Day plans and itís a bummer it doesnít really happen any more.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 09-10-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post

Hangover cure getting out in the fresh air. Always a great atmosphere when it was played on the 1st, especially 01/01/1973.