hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Newcastle

Looks like Saudi Arabia have managed to get a workaround on a potential takeover by naming a consortium as the "official" owners.

This could easily turn Newcastle into the next PSG, but the ethical implications are pretty nauseating.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like Saudi Arabia have managed to get a workaround on a potential takeover by naming a consortium as the "official" owners.

This could easily turn Newcastle into the next PSG, but the ethical implications are pretty nauseating.
    They won't be able turn them into PSG as the world's best players, in particular those from South America and southern Europe, won't want to live in Newcastle.

It's one thing chucking loads of money at a guy who's already earning a fortune to come and live and work in Paris, it's another thing entirely to get them to Gateshead.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

It goes to show that the EPL are only interested in looking like they have a stringent vetting system for new club owners. Nothing has changed regarding the owners other than a few patsys put up as the frontmen. Like you say it will almost certainly make Newcastle a major player in world football and where the money is coming from will be swept under the carpet.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Be careful what you wish for.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    They won't be able turn them into PSG as the world's best players, in particular those from South America and southern Europe, won't want to live in Newcastle.

It's one thing chucking loads of money at a guy who's already earning a fortune to come and live and work in Paris, it's another thing entirely to get them to Gateshead.
    Plenty of them go to Manchester. Players will go anywhere if the moneys enough and the team have a chance of winning major silverware.

United we stand here....

Big offer for John McGinn incoming.

Chelsea and Man City became very successful once they got the investment. Newcastle will be the same, their owners are worth billions more than anyone else. I don’t think location will matter, money talks.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Do these people have Man City type money? If so, most Geordies won't care who they are.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Do these people have Man City type money? If so, most Geordies won't care who they are.
    Apparently they are worth over £200b more than the city owners.

First Team Breakthrough

Thing is they never live in Newcastle itself. Northumberland is a fantastic county with some fantastic beaches etc.
    If it's the nightlife they are thinking about then I wouldn't want them at my club.

JR lives in Northumberland.

Howay the Lads !!

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Plenty of them go to Manchester. Players will go anywhere if the moneys enough and the team have a chance of winning major silverware.
    The top players in the world, in their prime still don't go to England. They go the opposite way.

Ronaldo, Bale, Modric,,Coutinho, Suarez all examples. Can't really think of many doing vice versa.

How many elite level players in their absolute prime have left elite European clubs like Madrid and Barcelona to love in England? Very very few.

Its far easier to sell the lifestyle and money of Paris as opposed to the lifestyle and money of the north east of England.

The top players in the world, in their prime still don't go to England. They go the opposite way.

Ronaldo, Bale, Modric,,Coutinho, Suarez all examples. Can't really think of many doing vice versa.

How many elite level players in their absolute prime have left elite European clubs like Madrid and Barcelona to love in England? Very very few.

Its far easier to sell the lifestyle and money of Paris as opposed to the lifestyle and money of the north east of England.
    Isn't this mainly to do with the fact that the above players were getting, fundamentally, more money with these clubs than they were with their English clubs to begin with? Bale and Ronaldo et al I'm sure were all paid very well with Spurs & Man Utd respectively, but both would have got an increase in pay packet when they moved to Spain. Similarly Messi in his prime would've been on more at Barcelona than what would've been on offer anywhere else.

If Newcastle start offering £400,000 + per week, I'm pretty sure the best names in the business will start going there. Especially now with the significant financial issues Barcelona are dealing with, and to a lesser extent (from what I hear anyway) Real Madrid.

As has been stated by someone else, the 'best of the best' wouldn't necessarily have to stay in Newcastle (not that there is anything wrong with Newcastle I'd like to add.) I'm not sure how many of Man Utd's best actually stay in Manchester. Aren't they all in the leafy suburbs of Cheshire?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    do i want money invested in Hibs to compete with the Glasgow sides=Yes

do i want investment in Hibs to buy the best players in football and win the champions league=No

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

There’s a huge gap between the standard of player Newcastle have been signing for years and the elite level you mention.

Getting in the right manager will be key.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Apparently they are worth over £200b more than the city owners.
    200 billion more. It's just monopoly money, isn't it? Let's get ready for Newcastle dominating for the next few years, until somebody with 200 billion more than them buy a different club...

It’s wild listening to Newcastle fans and journalists cheering the exit of Ashley, who they hate, but then gushing over the arrival of, well…

@hibs.net private member
    The area where Jack Ross lives is minted!

Quote Originally Posted by Callyballybe View Post
    Isn't this mainly to do with the fact that the above players were getting, fundamentally, more money with these clubs than they were with their English clubs to begin with? Bale and Ronaldo et al I'm sure were all paid very well with Spurs & Man Utd respectively, but both would have got an increase in pay packet when they moved to Spain. Similarly Messi in his prime would've been on more at Barcelona than what would've been on offer anywhere else.

If Newcastle start offering £400,000 + per week, I'm pretty sure the best names in the business will start going there. Especially now with the significant financial issues Barcelona are dealing with, and to a lesser extent (from what I hear anyway) Real Madrid.

As has been stated by someone else, the 'best of the best' wouldn't necessarily have to stay in Newcastle (not that there is anything wrong with Newcastle I'd like to add.) I'm not sure how many of Man Utd's best actually stay in Manchester. Aren't they all in the leafy suburbs of Cheshire?
    I think it's a mixture of both to be honest. Real Madrid and Barcelona are the most glamorous football clubs in the world, and they are undoubtedly bigger than the English clubs IMO.

Madrid signing Ronaldo from Man Utd and Suarez going to Barcelona from Liverpool highlight that. There's no chance whatsoever that the best player from Madrid or Barcelona sign for an English club at the prime of their careers.

Newcastle getting the money will undoubtedly help them improve to another level. I don't think its as easy as saying they have the most money they'll have the best team though.

There is a lot of clubs with a lot of money (appreciate the 2 Spanish clubs are struggling at the moment but that's almost certainly temporary) but you can't buy prestige which certain clubs have and PSG are starting to get (undoubtedly helped by the fact they play in one of the worlds greatest cities).

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    Thing is they never live in Newcastle itself. Northumberland is a fantastic county with some fantastic beaches etc.
    If it's the nightlife they are thinking about then I wouldn't want them at my club.

Howay the Lads !!
    I hope Newcastle get super rich owners and are able to finally win something I always had a soft spot for them as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    do i want money invested in Hibs to compete with the Glasgow sides=Yes

do i want investment in Hibs to buy the best players in football and win the champions league=No
    You post some bizarre stuff at times, what Hibs fan wouldn't want to win the CL.

Apparently the new owners are circa ten times wealthier than Man City's owners and are wealthier than all the other EPL owners combined. This could get really crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post

Howay the Lads !!
    I can't see guys like Neymar and Messi kicking about beaches in Northumberland though, can you?

I can't see guys like Neymar and Messi kicking about beaches in Northumberland though, can you?
    Show them the money and they'll be posing with bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale alongside Ant & Dec

Show them the money and they'll be posing with bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale alongside Ant & Dec
    That would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    It’s wild listening to Newcastle fans and journalists cheering the exit of Ashley, who they hate, but then gushing over the arrival of, well…
    Neer mind aboot yuman reets and that when tha's coops tee be woon, bonny lead!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Remember star players going to Middlesbourgh? Most desperate city I have ever visited. Some nice country houses though a few miles out.

Mo Salah will be No 1 target. Brilliant player but also commercially important for owners.

Overnight Newcastle will become the richest football club in the world. Crazy stuff.

Testimonial Due
    Apparently the new owners are circa ten times wealthier than Man City's owners and are wealthier than all the other EPL owners combined. This could get really crazy.
    Yes Saudi much bigger than UAE. A touch nastier to.

Testimonial Due
    Neymar will have seen unimaginable poverty in Brazil. Paris will be cold to him compared to Santos and much closer to Newcastle temps than his home ones.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 07-10-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz

Why wouldn't they want to live in newcastle? It's the best city in the UK.