hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 271 to 300 of 300

Thread: Newcastle

  1. #271
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,648
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Labour MP needs to be careful. Looks like he’s trying to represent a constituency of ‘supporters concerned about human rights in relation to this takeover’ who are a tiny minority of his voters. 93% of fans want the takeover to happen.

    He’s a she, by the way.

    Aren’t politicians supposed to uphold the values of the system that elects them? Saudi Arabia is a theocracy that kills people for expressing freedom of thought and expression. Quite a lot to chew on, I’d have thought.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #272
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,118
    I’m amazed they have a woman fronting the consortium given what the Saudi regime think of women. A woman that is married to an Iranian as well!

  4. #273
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,443
    Football focus - Newcastle fans loving the fact that they have new owners with deep pockets.

    New owners who chop off peoples heads, murder journalists and despise women.

    The EPL gets more disgusting by the week.

    Dancing in the streets of the Toon though

  5. #274
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    21,195
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football focus - Newcastle fans loving the fact that they have new owners with deep pockets.

    New owners who chop off peoples heads, murder journalists and despise women.

    The EPL gets more disgusting by the week.

    Dancing in the streets of the Toon though
    Maybe the fans could set up an alternative club, how does FC United of Newcastle sound? 😉
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  6. #275
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the fans could set up an alternative club, how does FC United of Newcastle sound? 😉
    I would have respect for anyone supporting a move like this. If Hibs were taken over like this, I'd never be back at ER.

  7. #276
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have respect for anyone supporting a move like this. If Hibs were taken over like this, I'd never be back at ER.
    Yep, me too - its like the Romanov thing x 1000

  8. #277
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    21,195
    Revised #nufc strip already launched by the club’s new dictators, sorry, directors…. https://t.co/wSAuC6m8qF
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  9. #278
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    21,195
    Ha, ha.

    If Newcastle aren't in the top 4 heads will roll.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  10. #279
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,648
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m amazed they have a woman fronting the consortium given what the Saudi regime think of women. A woman that is married to an Iranian as well!

    It’s all about presentation. And money of course.

    Lots of women have no problem earning their money from people who would deny their wives and daughters the same opportunity.

    Apparently the answer to human rights abuses is just to put on a sad face and say things in a serious voice. Done.

  11. #280
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,969
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s a she, by the way.

    Aren’t politicians supposed to uphold the values of the system that elects them? Saudi Arabia is a theocracy that kills people for expressing freedom of thought and expression. Quite a lot to chew on, I’d have thought.

    Thanks, she is indeed a she I actually agree with her comments, i just think she's on shaky territory in terms of public opinion locally. Obviously she has to balance her own values as a representative, and the expressed beliefs or her constituents, thats a tricky balance which all representative democracies like the UK struggle with. I dont agree politicians 'should uphold the values of the system that elects them'; that sounds like a dictatorship where nothing would ever change. But we're into semantics, i think i know what youre getting at.

  12. #281
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,421
    What’s in it for these foreign owners?

    I get that you could argue folk like the Glaziers are in in it for the money in the longer term but that can’t be the Saudi’s plan, or these other mega rich owners.

    Why choose English football? There are dozens of clubs around Europe they could buy much cheaper and get into the Champs League by spending big.

    Are just trying to get a foothold in British culture for when the oil money dries up? They’d have come under far less scrutiny if they’d bought a Russian club for example.

    They’re not doing it because they want to help the people of Newcastle, so what’s the end game?

    Is it just a bunch of the super rich playing their equivalent of Subbuteo? I just don’t get it.

  13. #282
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s in it for these foreign owners?

    I get that you could argue folk like the Glaziers are in in it for the money in the longer term but that can’t be the Saudi’s plan, or these other mega rich owners.

    Why choose English football? There are dozens of clubs around Europe they could buy much cheaper and get into the Champs League by spending big.

    Are just trying to get a foothold in British culture for when the oil money dries up? They’d have come under far less scrutiny if they’d bought a Russian club for example.

    They’re not doing it because they want to help the people of Newcastle, so what’s the end game?

    Is it just a bunch of the super rich playing their equivalent of Subbuteo? I just don’t get it.
    This article is the best I’ve read about it.

    https://theathletic.com/1788335/2021/10/06/why-does-saudi-arabia-want-to-buy-newcastle-united/?source=user_shared_article

  14. #283
    Testimonial Due The_Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    2,633
    I think the most important question nobody has answered yet is how much money will the toon have to spend in next year's Football Manager?

  15. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s in it for these foreign owners?

    I get that you could argue folk like the Glaziers are in in it for the money in the longer term but that can’t be the Saudi’s plan, or these other mega rich owners.

    Why choose English football? There are dozens of clubs around Europe they could buy much cheaper and get into the Champs League by spending big.

    Are just trying to get a foothold in British culture for when the oil money dries up? They’d have come under far less scrutiny if they’d bought a Russian club for example.

    They’re not doing it because they want to help the people of Newcastle, so what’s the end game?

    Is it just a bunch of the super rich playing their equivalent of Subbuteo? I just don’t get it.
    Sportswashing. The success of it is shown by man City.

  16. #285
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    41,608
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This article is the best I’ve read about it.

    https://theathletic.com/1788335/2021...shared_article

    appears subscription only ?
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 09-10-2021 at 03:37 PM.

  17. #286
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,648
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, she is indeed a she I actually agree with her comments, i just think she's on shaky territory in terms of public opinion locally. Obviously she has to balance her own values as a representative, and the expressed beliefs or her constituents, thats a tricky balance which all representative democracies like the UK struggle with. I dont agree politicians 'should uphold the values of the system that elects them'; that sounds like a dictatorship where nothing would ever change. But we're into semantics, i think i know what youre getting at.

    Yes I’m not advocating for no change, just observing that elected politicians do also have a wider responsibility beyond their party affiliation to uphold basic standards of democracy.

    She’s also on record in the HoC as describing Saudi Arabia as a murderous state, or similar. Doubt she’ll be invited to the directors box anytime soon!

  18. #287
    @hibs.net private member Lendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Profile pic on Etsy as a print
    Posts
    1,495
    The other 19 clubs are united in there opposition to the takeover. Not a hint of irony from the likes of Man City.

  19. #288
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,209
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s in it for these foreign owners?

    I get that you could argue folk like the Glaziers are in in it for the money in the longer term but that can’t be the Saudi’s plan, or these other mega rich owners.

    Why choose English football? There are dozens of clubs around Europe they could buy much cheaper and get into the Champs League by spending big.

    Are just trying to get a foothold in British culture for when the oil money dries up? They’d have come under far less scrutiny if they’d bought a Russian club for example.

    They’re not doing it because they want to help the people of Newcastle, so what’s the end game?

    Is it just a bunch of the super rich playing their equivalent of Subbuteo? I just don’t get it.
    Money laundering and other nefarious practices, plus diplomatic influence. Like you say, it isn't out of the goodness of their hearts or the love of the game.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  20. #289
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,774
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m amazed they have a woman fronting the consortium given what the Saudi regime think of women. A woman that is married to an Iranian as well!
    That’s exactly why they have a woman doing it.

  21. #290
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,774
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have respect for anyone supporting a move like this. If Hibs were taken over like this, I'd never be back at ER.
    You and me both. After what was done to that guy I’d prefer to go along to support the opposition.

  22. #291
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong

  23. #292
    Testimonial Due A Hi-Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The wrong side of the track
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football focus - Newcastle fans loving the fact that they have new owners with deep pockets.

    New owners who chop off peoples heads, murder journalists and despise women.

    The EPL gets more disgusting by the week.

    Dancing in the streets of the Toon though
    It would be very interesting to see the views if say John McGinn was transferred to the Toon for mega cash and a large chunk of that mega cash was destined for Easter Road, perhaps we would just refuse it or give it all to charity. Just saying like.

  24. #293
    Testimonial Due A Hi-Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The wrong side of the track
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong
    He was at Newcastle before and as far as I am concerned he could go back their tomorrow boring bassa that he is.

  25. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong
    Zero chance of this happening.

  26. #295
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218
    yes we know but his profile has risen jus at the correct time apart from bielsa or simeone i think he may be the right fit

  27. #296
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong
    No chance of this happening. They'll want to aim higher then Steve Clarke.

  28. #297
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,443
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be very interesting to see the views if say John McGinn was transferred to the Toon for mega cash and a large chunk of that mega cash was destined for Easter Road, perhaps we would just refuse it or give it all to charity. Just saying like.
    Semantic argument imo.

    A bit like saying a cleaner at St James Park who really needs the job should resign in protest as - ultimately - their salary may have come from the Saudis.

    The EPL sanctioned these people to buy the club, knocking it on the head at source would have dealt with the issue.

  29. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong
    They'll want to hire a far bigger name than Steve Clarke.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  30. #299
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They'll want to hire a far bigger name than Steve Clarke.
    I don’t think Clarke is a bad manager, I do think he’s overrated in some quarters. The Scotland team has five or six genuinely excellent individuals which is the reason for our improvement. He’ll get some jobs off the back of getting us to the euros and punching Kilmarnock above their weight, that’s nowhere near enough for the richest clubs in the world.

  31. #300
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They'll want to hire a far bigger name than Steve Clarke.

    Agreed.

    Clarke isn’t showbiz enough for them. It would be hilarious if Gerrard leaves next week.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)