hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Labour MP needs to be careful. Looks like he’s trying to represent a constituency of ‘supporters concerned about human rights in relation to this takeover’ who are a tiny minority of his voters. 93% of fans want the takeover to happen.

He’s a she, by the way.

Aren’t politicians supposed to uphold the values of the system that elects them? Saudi Arabia is a theocracy that kills people for expressing freedom of thought and expression. Quite a lot to chew on, I’d have thought.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’m amazed they have a woman fronting the consortium given what the Saudi regime think of women. A woman that is married to an Iranian as well!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Football focus - Newcastle fans loving the fact that they have new owners with deep pockets.

New owners who chop off peoples heads, murder journalists and despise women.

The EPL gets more disgusting by the week.

Dancing in the streets of the Toon though

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Football focus - Newcastle fans loving the fact that they have new owners with deep pockets.

Maybe the fans could set up an alternative club, how does FC United of Newcastle sound? 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Maybe the fans could set up an alternative club, how does FC United of Newcastle sound? 😉
    I would have respect for anyone supporting a move like this. If Hibs were taken over like this, I'd never be back at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I would have respect for anyone supporting a move like this. If Hibs were taken over like this, I'd never be back at ER.
    Yep, me too - its like the Romanov thing x 1000

Revised #nufc strip already launched by the club’s new dictators, sorry, directors…. https://t.co/wSAuC6m8qF

Ha, ha.

If Newcastle aren't in the top 4 heads will roll.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’m amazed they have a woman fronting the consortium given what the Saudi regime think of women. A woman that is married to an Iranian as well!

It’s all about presentation. And money of course.

Lots of women have no problem earning their money from people who would deny their wives and daughters the same opportunity.

Apparently the answer to human rights abuses is just to put on a sad face and say things in a serious voice. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    He’s a she, by the way.

Aren’t politicians supposed to uphold the values of the system that elects them? Saudi Arabia is a theocracy that kills people for expressing freedom of thought and expression. Quite a lot to chew on, I’d have thought.

Thanks, she is indeed a she I actually agree with her comments, i just think she's on shaky territory in terms of public opinion locally. Obviously she has to balance her own values as a representative, and the expressed beliefs or her constituents, thats a tricky balance which all representative democracies like the UK struggle with. I dont agree politicians 'should uphold the values of the system that elects them'; that sounds like a dictatorship where nothing would ever change. But we're into semantics, i think i know what youre getting at.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    What’s in it for these foreign owners?

I get that you could argue folk like the Glaziers are in in it for the money in the longer term but that can’t be the Saudi’s plan, or these other mega rich owners.

Why choose English football? There are dozens of clubs around Europe they could buy much cheaper and get into the Champs League by spending big.

Are just trying to get a foothold in British culture for when the oil money dries up? They’d have come under far less scrutiny if they’d bought a Russian club for example.

They’re not doing it because they want to help the people of Newcastle, so what’s the end game?

Is it just a bunch of the super rich playing their equivalent of Subbuteo? I just don’t get it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

I get that you could argue folk like the Glaziers are in in it for the money in the longer term but that can’t be the Saudi’s plan, or these other mega rich owners.

Why choose English football? There are dozens of clubs around Europe they could buy much cheaper and get into the Champs League by spending big.

Are just trying to get a foothold in British culture for when the oil money dries up? They’d have come under far less scrutiny if they’d bought a Russian club for example.

They’re not doing it because they want to help the people of Newcastle, so what’s the end game?

Is it just a bunch of the super rich playing their equivalent of Subbuteo? I just don’t get it.
    This article is the best I’ve read about it.

https://theathletic.com/1788335/2021/10/06/why-does-saudi-arabia-want-to-buy-newcastle-united/?source=user_shared_article

I think the most important question nobody has answered yet is how much money will the toon have to spend in next year's Football Manager?

Sportswashing. The success of it is shown by man City.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This article is the best I’ve read about it.

https://theathletic.com/1788335/2021...shared_article

appears subscription only ?
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 09-10-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Thanks, she is indeed a she I actually agree with her comments, i just think she's on shaky territory in terms of public opinion locally. Obviously she has to balance her own values as a representative, and the expressed beliefs or her constituents, thats a tricky balance which all representative democracies like the UK struggle with. I dont agree politicians 'should uphold the values of the system that elects them'; that sounds like a dictatorship where nothing would ever change. But we're into semantics, i think i know what youre getting at.

Yes I’m not advocating for no change, just observing that elected politicians do also have a wider responsibility beyond their party affiliation to uphold basic standards of democracy.

She’s also on record in the HoC as describing Saudi Arabia as a murderous state, or similar. Doubt she’ll be invited to the directors box anytime soon!

The other 19 clubs are united in there opposition to the takeover. Not a hint of irony from the likes of Man City.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Money laundering and other nefarious practices, plus diplomatic influence. Like you say, it isn't out of the goodness of their hearts or the love of the game.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    That’s exactly why they have a woman doing it.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    You and me both. After what was done to that guy I’d prefer to go along to support the opposition.

First Team Breakthrough
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

It would be very interesting to see the views if say John McGinn was transferred to the Toon for mega cash and a large chunk of that mega cash was destined for Easter Road, perhaps we would just refuse it or give it all to charity. Just saying like.

Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    bit worried after tonight that steve clarke could be next newcastle manager dont think buy out clause would be too much. plus john carver his number two is newcastle through and trhough.hope im wrong
    He was at Newcastle before and as far as I am concerned he could go back their tomorrow boring bassa that he is.

Zero chance of this happening.

First Team Breakthrough
    yes we know but his profile has risen jus at the correct time apart from bielsa or simeone i think he may be the right fit

@hibs.net private member
    No chance of this happening. They'll want to aim higher then Steve Clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    It would be very interesting to see the views if say John McGinn was transferred to the Toon for mega cash and a large chunk of that mega cash was destined for Easter Road, perhaps we would just refuse it or give it all to charity. Just saying like.
    Semantic argument imo.

A bit like saying a cleaner at St James Park who really needs the job should resign in protest as - ultimately - their salary may have come from the Saudis.

The EPL sanctioned these people to buy the club, knocking it on the head at source would have dealt with the issue.

They'll want to hire a far bigger name than Steve Clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I don’t think Clarke is a bad manager, I do think he’s overrated in some quarters. The Scotland team has five or six genuinely excellent individuals which is the reason for our improvement. He’ll get some jobs off the back of getting us to the euros and punching Kilmarnock above their weight, that’s nowhere near enough for the richest clubs in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Agreed.

Clarke isn’t showbiz enough for them. It would be hilarious if Gerrard leaves next week.