hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Anthony Stokes. Incredible player 'on his day' and was something on a different level in the final. But a guy who would fail my 'I'd happily have a pint with him' test. I'm sure he's gutted mind.
    I wasn't too keen on Basher Lavety, for no discernable reason either.

Players I really liked were Crunchie, Keith, Danny Lennon, Kevin Harper and our Willie Miller.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Craig Brewster, met him a few times and just couldn’t take to him.
    Oh, spot on. I sat not far from him when we struggled away to Stranraer in the cup, him with his arm injury. Never thought he had us at heart and **** me he proved it for just about everyone when he left us.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 09-10-2021 at 09:55 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'm not trying to impose any rules, but there seem to be people that haven't understood this thread.

I don't think the intention was to simply list players that were crap for us or ended up crap. We could easily run to hundreds of pages if that's the case.

There are players that are easy to like - nothing to do with how they play but how they come across in interviews. Newell, Doidge, Boyle & Stevenson immediately spring to mind for me and there are others. Chris Cadden in his interviews when coming back from injury came across as the most enthusiastic, smiliest, nicest guy on earth (after Lewis of course) which makes you really root for him. Daz is another...

Then there are players where you have no opinion of them as people and you judge them purely on their ability. Deek is one of those for me. He had well publicised trouble off the pitch but that didn't stop him being one of my favourite ever Hibs players. We don't get to see skill like that very often. Griffiths in his prime was another one. I could never see myself being his mate but I didn't dislike him either. I definitely wanted him at Hibs though.

The thread is meant to be about Hibs players that you don't or didn't take to as people, regardless of how they played.
    Doesn’t every thread meander about a bit? Wouldn’t be much of a forum if it didn’t.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I’ve met Ian Murray before. We had just beat QotS to go top of the table at around xmas when in the champ with the huns - I’m sure someone will correct that!

Anyway I said to him ‘what about the hibbys ian?’ He totally dismissed it ‘it’s only QotS’ he said. I was surprised at him for saying that to be honest. Never liked him since
    hahaha.

That said, I do have a very blurry photo with him in Jerimiahs on 21/05/16 so maybe he was back into hibs at that point.
    Ian Murray us a huge Hibs fan.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Fraser Fyvie is by all accounts a bit of a dick too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Doesn’t every thread meander about a bit? Wouldn’t be much of a forum if it didn’t.
    Of course, I'm just worried that if we were to list all of our crap players that we'll cause some sort of bandwidth crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Craig Brewster, met him a few times and just couldn’t take to him.
    Sat beside him on a plane once. Was a nice guy and happy to chat

Never really liked

Colin Nish
    John Rankin
    Liam Craig
    Gary Caldwell

As has been said, there’s no particular reason unlike a Doherty or KT where you can argue about their contribution, whether they were crap or not. Those four just annoyed me.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 10-10-2021 at 08:21 AM.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Ian Murray us a huge Hibs fan.
    Quite possibly. He came across as a weapon when I spoke to him though

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Danny Handling.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

When I started going to matches he was in his last season or 2 so I don't remember very much about him playing for us, however having seen him on the terracing with the Hibs support a few times and at a couple of Hibs events he's always struck me as a good bloke. He always came across well on the TV when he was doing his players' union stuff too.
    I mind being right down the front of the terrace as a lad, I thought he was a brilliant player. Probably was only bang average.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Andy Walker. Hated him even when he was playing for us. Saw him walking to ER the second time he played for us and said "Hiya Andy, good luck today." and he literally told me to F*** off. He seemed to hate playing for us and felt it was beneath him. to55er.

Gary Caldwell was similar..always acted like we were an annoying stop off on his career.

Believe it or not, I never really liked Arthur Duncan as a kid, My starting to go to ER (1979) coincided with his last couple of seasons and He'd lost his pace and just seemed to hit shots over the bar all the time. The fact that we was seen as a legend by older guys just made me dislike him more. In the context of his career I now like and admire him, but not at the time. I remember getting in an argument with an old guy in the west stand because I called Arthur a womble with a stupid moustache (I was only 11). He gave me the "have a bit of respect for a proper Hibs legend" lecture. So I started shouting "good pass Uncle Bulgaria, Nice shot Uncle Bulgaria" whenever he got the ball..I thought I was hilarious

I'll add myself to the Paul Kane un-appreciation society...always did his best for the team on the park and was a proper Hibby, but just generally came across to me as someone I wouldn't want to live next door to.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Andy Walker. Hated him even when he was playing for us. Saw him walking to ER the second time he played for us and said "Hiya Andy, good luck today." and he literally told me to F*** off. He seemed to hate playing for us and felt it was beneath him. to55er.

That is utterly shocking from Walker - he always comes across as an egotistical twat on the TV but I think we can add ignorant nasty ungrateful ******** to his personality profile on the back of that tale.

In terms of players I never took to it's usually for similar reasons - ie when a player doesn't seem to properly appreciate the honour of pulling on a Hibs jersey I tend to take an instinctive dislike to them as people.

Thankfully there are not many I can attribute that trait to but a couple that spring to mind are Ray Wilkins and Brian Hamilton. As well as being well past it when signed for Hibs by Alex Miller (one of his worst ever signings IMO) Wilkins seemed to carry the attitude that he was just about doing us a favour by pulling on the green and white jersey. To add to this piss poor attitude he then had the gall to applaud the Rangers fans at Ibrox when we had just been on the wrong end of a proper doing there - something which left me absolutely seething with rage.

Brian Hamilton, if I'm being fair, contributed quite significantly to a decent Cup winning Hbs side. However, upon eventually leaving Hibs for our arch-rivals Hearts, he then commited the unpardonable sin of parading his disrespect for the club in gutter rag The Daily Record in which he stated that he would have rather been a postman than carry on playing for Hibs! My immediate response to this outrage was to rush home, tear his picture out of my Hibs calendar and ceremonially burn it in an ashtray - much to the astonishment of a mate of mine who was in attendance

O'Connor. Met him in a M&S once and he was a prick. And Kevin Thompson, though for no particular reason - just never took to him
    Last edited by vercol36; 10-10-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

Brian Hamilton, if I'm being fair, contributed quite significantly to a decent Cup winning Hbs side. However, upon eventually leaving Hibs for our arch-rivals Hearts, he then commited the unpardonable sin of parading his disrespect for the club in gutter rag The Daily Record in which he stated that he would have rather been a postman than carry on playing for Hibs! My immediate response to this outrage was to rush home, tear his picture out of my Hibs calendar and ceremonially burn it in an ashtray - much to the astonishment of a mate of mine who was in attendance
    Superb 😀

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    I’ll add myself to the Paul Kane quota - I recall some drunken in-your-face bad chat from him in the Phoenix one night after I dared to play Devil’s advocate over his narrative concerning STF’s stewardship of the club. Couldn’t take to Doherty either for obvious reasons already stated above.

Wasn’t a big fan of Andy McNeil - I recall one Saturday evening in Shanghai on George Street when he was playing the well-oiled Big Man and trying to chat up a barmaid whilst I chatted to one of his teammates, who was sipping water and had his alarm set for 07:00 on the Sunday morning to go for a run round Arthur’s Seat with his then manager. John Collins. It’s fitting that for such a level of commitment and dedication, said team mate has now been rewarded with both League Cup and Scottish Cup winners’ medals whilst at Easter Road!

If we’re talking managers, Calderwell and Butcher are stand outs in this category for me. Some might say Miller as well given, I understand, he has come across as extremely rude at times whilst engaging with fans. I never experienced that myself from him and I gather from others that I’ve spoken with that any aloofness was unintentional!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    How did those first two play anywhere near enough to be disliked?
    Because I was expecting Russel latapy standard and was bitterly disappointed

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Quite possibly. He came across as a weapon when I spoke to him though
    I dated a good friend of Murray’s wife for a spell when we were all about 30 so I was in his company on a number of occasions. Very shy when in social situations.

I never said he was a bad player.

Except myself & a couple of mates.
    Add me to the list. Never liked Kano. And his rantings about Hibs since he stopped playing certainly haven’t changed my mind.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Took a dislike to Gerry O'Brien when I saw how much bevvy he was chucking down his throat in the pub after training. Ralph Callachan said it helped Gerry's arthritis!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I dated a good friend of Murray’s wife for a spell when we were all about 30 so I was in his company on a number of occasions. Very shy when in social situations.
    Nid is someone you want on your side on the pitch, will give his all, away from it, cap on, head down and I don’t think he likes chatting to folks, and I will leave it at that.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Tam McManus…met him in espionage the same night we had been pumped out a cup, I think by Dundee united. Spoke to him and he was an arrogant rude little erse.

I’ll add myself to the Paul Kane quota - I recall some drunken in-your-face bad chat from him in the Phoenix one night after I dared to play Devil’s advocate over his narrative concerning STF’s stewardship of the club. Couldn’t take to Doherty either for obvious reasons already stated above.

Wasn’t a big fan of Andy McNeil - I recall one Saturday evening in Shanghai on George Street when he was playing the well-oiled Big Man and trying to chat up a barmaid whilst I chatted to one of his teammates, who was sipping water and had his alarm set for 07:00 on the Sunday morning to go for a run round Arthur’s Seat with his then manager. John Collins. It’s fitting that for such a level of commitment and dedication, said team mate has now been rewarded with both League Cup and Scottish Cup winners’ medals whilst at Easter Road!

If we’re talking managers, Calderwell and Butcher are stand outs in this category for me. Some might say Miller as well given, I understand, he has come across as extremely rude at times whilst engaging with fans. I never experienced that myself from him and I gather from others that I’ve spoken with that any aloofness was unintentional!
    I'm surprised he could see over the bar to chat to her

I never knew Andy as a hibs player but got to know him quite well when he was coaching/PT through a mutual friend. He was a nice guy and was quite humble about winning a cup for the team he supported. Gave him some advice before his move to China and he actually sent quite a nice thank you gift to myself after it all came off for him.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Jim McArthur. I was stood outside the main stand long after a game collecting autographs as a young laddie, all the players were happy to oblige and even exchanged a few words or ruffled my hair. Not McArthur, he just barged past me and jumped into his Ford Capri without a word. Was chuffed to **** when we signed Mike McDonald.

Paul Kane's face just used to annoy me, Riordan was similar.

Stokes was just a complete chopper off the field and Yogi just oozed Gob***** qualities.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Griffiths yet, absolute tool.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    That is utterly shocking from Walker - he always comes across as an egotistical twat on the TV but I think we can add ignorant nasty ungrateful ******** to his personality profile on the back of that tale.

In terms of players I never took to it's usually for similar reasons - ie when a player doesn't seem to properly appreciate the honour of pulling on a Hibs jersey I tend to take an instinctive dislike to them as people.

Thankfully there are not many I can attribute that trait to but a couple that spring to mind are Ray Wilkins and Brian Hamilton. As well as being well past it when signed for Hibs by Alex Miller (one of his worst ever signings IMO) Wilkins seemed to carry the attitude that he was just about doing us a favour by pulling on the green and white jersey. To add to this piss poor attitude he then had the gall to applaud the Rangers fans at Ibrox when we had just been on the wrong end of a proper doing there - something which left me absolutely seething with rage.

Wilkins turned in the single worst performance I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey, and I'm including fat, old guys having a kickabout in a park. This was a home defeat by Killie where Wilkins was hooked at half-time, having shown an inability to find a team mate from about three yards away. In view of his well publicised alcoholism, I would not be surprised if he was actually the worse for wear on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Jim McArthur. I was stood outside the main stand long after a game collecting autographs as a young laddie, all the players were happy to oblige and even exchanged a few words or ruffled my hair. Not McArthur, he just barged past me and jumped into his Ford Capri without a word. Was chuffed to **** when we signed Mike McDonald.
    I'll stick up for Jim McArthur. My granddad used to see him through his work and was able to get me a team photo signed by the entire squad thanks to McArthur.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I never met him while he was Hibs manager but he used to pick up his grandsons at my nephew's school and I'd sometimes run into him there. He was always pleasant to speak to, quite humble I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post

Gary Caldwell was similar..always acted like we were an annoying stop off on his career.

Believe it or not, I never really liked Arthur Duncan as a kid, My starting to go to ER (1979) coincided with his last couple of seasons and He'd lost his pace and just seemed to hit shots over the bar all the time. The fact that we was seen as a legend by older guys just made me dislike him more. In the context of his career I now like and admire him, but not at the time. I remember getting in an argument with an old guy in the west stand because I called Arthur a womble with a stupid moustache (I was only 11). He gave me the "have a bit of respect for a proper Hibs legend" lecture. So I started shouting "good pass Uncle Bulgaria, Nice shot Uncle Bulgaria" whenever he got the ball..I thought I was hilarious

I'll add myself to the Paul Kane un-appreciation society...always did his best for the team on the park and was a proper Hibby, but just generally came across to me as someone I wouldn't want to live next door to.
    Sure it wasn't some punter who looked like him and was getting fed up being mistaken for Andy Walker? Seems a bit unusual that he'd be walking to the ground on a match day.

I would, though, agree that based on my own experience of meeting him that he was not the most fan-friendly. I was at an event that he was attending and when I got introduced to him I made mention of a goal he scored for us in a new year derby at Tynecastle when we came back from 2-0 down to draw (think he got the equaliser). He just said 'great days' and moved on. A bit later in the evening I heard somebody else reminding him of another goal he'd scored and it was the same 'great days' and move on response. Sure, footballers probably get a bit bored reliving this sort of stuff on a regular basis, but it was the condescending manner that grated a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Fraser Fyvie is by all accounts a bit of a dick too.
    Fraser for me, cooly shepherded the ball out for that crucial corner that led to Stokes 2nd goal and riveting,nailbiting finale.

So hats off to Dick Fyvie!!
    Although he should not have dithered on contract extension deal(if that is what he did)

I did not like Joe Harper very much... but for the life of me, i cannot think why !!!
    Al get back to you on that one !!