hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I didn't like Brian Welsh much.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin McAllister, happier talking about Falkirk than Hibs.
    Dyed in the wool Bairn. Used to ask for the Falkirk score at full time. They're his team. Can't really complain. Especially when he still produced the goods for us.

Ross “the pointer “ Chisholm

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Now you know I’m going to defend Mr Riordan here, finished top goal scorer the season he joined, from a position out wide on the left, sure there was a couple of POTM awards as well, and I’m sure he got a call up to Scotland squad 2nd season, his then manager was full of praise for him and couldn’t believe Levein didn’t pick him for international duty, I think in the last 3 seasons he was with Hibs he was top goal scorer twice and behind Stokes the other season, plenty assists in these 3 seasons as well and was made club captain.

Yeah he threw his arm in the air at times through frustration but to say he never tried a leg is pushing it, I would go even further and say he worked harder in his 2nd spell than his 1st.

Scored 40 goals in 114 appearances his second spell

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Now you know I’m going to defend Mr Riordan here, finished top goal scorer the season he joined, from a position out wide on the left, sure there was a couple of POTM awards as well, and I’m sure he got a call up to Scotland squad 2nd season, his then manager was full of praise for him and couldn’t believe Levein didn’t pick him for international duty, I think in the last 3 seasons he was with Hibs he was top goal scorer twice and behind Stokes the other season, plenty assists in these 3 seasons as well and was made club captain.

Yeah he threw his arm in the air at times through frustration but to say he never tried a leg is pushing it, I would go even further and say he worked harder in his 2nd spell than his 1st.
    In the 2nd game of his return, away to Hamilton, (I had missed his first game back due to holidays), he struck a beautiful curling effort right in front of us, top bin. The stand went mental and I couldn’t stop myself from crying. Mrs Iggy called me a radge. I didn’t care. Still don’t. A brilliant player that I couldn’t ever stop much liking, as it were.

Has anyone mentioned Ray Wilkins yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    In the 2nd game of his return, away to Hamilton, (I had missed his first game back due to holidays), he struck a beautiful curling effort right in front of us, top bin. The stand went mental and I couldn’t stop myself from crying. Mrs Iggy called me a radge. I didn’t care. Still don’t. A brilliant player that I couldn’t ever stop much liking, as it were.

Has anyone mentioned Ray Wilkins yet?
    Loved his goal in the ‘Casper’ game when the maroon balloons gave us no chance at Tiny

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Wee Kev was a brilliant player. Like Latapy, I think Falkirk got the best out of him.
    Strange take.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

biggest problem with Derek’s second spell was the poorer team around him

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    biggest problem with Derek’s second spell was the poorer team around him
    Yep his frustration was obvious. He went from one of our best teams in recent decades under Mowbray to one of our worst under Calderwood.

I've always liked DR. I'm probably in a minority but I actually don't think he was quite good enough to have made it at a higher level. He just lacked that yard of pace and was a bit too slight to have really hacked it in England imo. Technically brilliant and a fantastic player at this level, one of my all time Hibs favourites but I don't buy the wasted talent that some people trot out.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Latapy he was brilliant at Hibs
    Only when he was below par.

Most of the time he was better than brilliant.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm not trying to impose any rules, but there seem to be people that haven't understood this thread.

I don't think the intention was to simply list players that were crap for us or ended up crap. We could easily run to hundreds of pages if that's the case.

There are players that are easy to like - nothing to do with how they play but how they come across in interviews. Newell, Doidge, Boyle & Stevenson immediately spring to mind for me and there are others. Chris Cadden in his interviews when coming back from injury came across as the most enthusiastic, smiliest, nicest guy on earth (after Lewis of course) which makes you really root for him. Daz is another...

Then there are players where you have no opinion of them as people and you judge them purely on their ability. Deek is one of those for me. He had well publicised trouble off the pitch but that didn't stop him being one of my favourite ever Hibs players. We don't get to see skill like that very often. Griffiths in his prime was another one. I could never see myself being his mate but I didn't dislike him either. I definitely wanted him at Hibs though.

The thread is meant to be about Hibs players that you don't or didn't take to as people, regardless of how they played.

Dave Beaumont.
    History will show him as a Cup winner with us. I just remember him having a face you'd never get tired of punching. He didn't play that much though when he did he was bang average I thought.

Then we have THAT game 😱.
    Just foul him you Muppet!!!!

Retired early from football to join the polis. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Dave Beaumont.
    History will show him as a Cup winner with us. I just remember him having a face you'd never get tired of punching. He didn't play that much though when he did he was bang average I thought.

Then we have THAT game 😱.
    Just foul him you Muppet!!!!

Retired early from football to join the polis. Meh.
    If I seen Dave Beaumont now I think I'd struggle not to boot him from behind and scream 'that's what you should have done to Foster'.

I was 7 when that happened, I'm 35 now and it still annoys me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If I seen Dave Beaumont now I think I'd struggle not to boot him from behind and scream 'that's what you should have done to Foster'.

😡😡😡 I don't think about that non challenge much these days.... But every time i do it brings out a level of hatred for one of our own players that's probably not healthy!

The sights you see when you don’t have a gun

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Lyndon Andrews, earl Jean, Chris Jackson

Once he got past his initial early peak, Paul Cairney had some awfy irritating traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Squealing pig View Post
    Lyndon Andrews, earl Jean, Chris Jackson
    How did those first two play anywhere near enough to be disliked?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Dyed in the wool Bairn. Used to ask for the Falkirk score at full time. They're his team. Can't really complain. Especially when he still produced the goods for us.
    I was just responding to the thread title.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Scott Brown. Great player but don’t like the guy.

Garry O Connor

Decent player, and should have made a much better career, but lack of effort/ decency ruined it. Countless episodes of despicable behaviour and ended up in a mess.

Yep. Riordan was always one of our best players in his second spell. Scored so many vital goals.

His mate Gary was the one who desperately let us down 2nd time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Only when he was below par.

Most of the time he was better than brilliant.
    Struggling to think of any games where he failed to turn up tbh apart from the Scottish Cup Final 😃

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Darren Jackson, based on my age when he played for us and how good he actually was he should have been one of my heroes but I never liked him at all and can't explain why

To this day that remains the derby defeat that has hurt me the most.

I still wince thinking about it,

F’ing torture.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Darren Jackson, based on my age when he played for us and how good he actually was he should have been one of my heroes but I never liked him at all and can't explain why
    He was very good at hiding out wide when he couldn’t be arsed. At least that is how it looked to me. When he could be, however, he was brilliant, it seemed too often when selection for Scotland squads was on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Darren Jackson was one of those niggly players when he played against you you hated him but if he was in your team you loved him

Remember going up to Tannadice in the Scottish Cup 1990 Hibs took a huge support he scored the only goal hooking the ball over his shoulder while backing into our defenders using his elbows then he was across to us giving it large

I was delighted when he signed
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-10-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Michael Stewart.

He used to be a Jambo, then he was alright, then he was a Jambo again, then he's supposed to be a pundit we agree with.

Jeez, you just never knew where you were with that guy!

Surprised it took so many posts before this to mention him. Hated him during his spell at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Craig Brewster, met him a few times and just couldn’t take to him.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Yep his frustration was obvious. He went from one of our best teams in recent decades under Mowbray to one of our worst under Calderwood.

I've always liked DR. I'm probably in a minority but I actually don't think he was quite good enough to have made it at a higher level. He just lacked that yard of pace and was a bit too slight to have really hacked it in England imo. Technically brilliant and a fantastic player at this level, one of my all time Hibs favourites but I don't buy the wasted talent that some people trot out.
    While it’s been done before and not a particularly important debate I definitely don’t think he had the career his ability merited. He won two titles and a Scottish Cup at Celtc, and scored over 100 goals for Hibs so had a better career than most. However he played 16 league games, scoring 4, and then 8 league games scoring 1 for those titles. He also played 3 Scottish Cup games and didn’t get in the park in the final. You can’t take the medals away from him, but he didn’t play a particularly big part in winning them IMO. He was also 28 when he left us after his second spell and was all but retired at that point.

I agree he probably wasn’t ever good enough for the biggest clubs. However I think Darren Fletcher isn’t an unfair comparison. Both similar physiques. Riordan was head and shoulders above Fletcher in terms of natural talent, and Fletcher was a talented player himself not just a workhorse/spoiler. Fletcher got every ounce out of his potential and more, Riordan didn’t look after himself and was on a downward trajectory from his mid 20s IMO.

He didn’t have a bad career, but 2 league titles, one Scottish Cup, 100 goals for Hibs and 3 Scotland caps doesn’t match his natural ability IMO.