hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 181 to 199 of 199
  1. #181
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    27,451
    Donít really like these threads but seeing as it is here - Ian Murray.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donít really like these threads but seeing as it is here - Ian Murray.
    Really surprised at this but respect your opinion.
    I know Ian and he is a 100% per cent Hibs guy who has absolutely no time for our city rivals.

  4. #183
    First Team Breakthrough Gregor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíll add myself to the Paul Kane quota - I recall some drunken in-your-face bad chat from him in the Phoenix one night after I dared to play Devilís advocate over his narrative concerning STFís stewardship of the club.
    That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I would also suggest that on another day the two of you would be hard at it for hours on the same topic. It really just depends on the circumstances.

    My only interactions with professional footballers has led me to check how I form my opinions of people based on how I see them react in specific circumstances.

    I thought Riordan would be a knob. He wasn't. He was shy, well mannered, polite, and well spoken. I thought Russell Latapy would be dismissive ; he wasn't, he was fully engaged, completely aware that I had been on the Guinness but discussed at length about just why he was the best player in the world. I thought Rob Jones was just some bloke who I said hello to for 6 months while picking up the laddie from nursery until I finally did a double take and embarrassed both himself and myself for that cup final.

    Outwith the Hibs, I spotted Sean Maloney and his relief at having to knod his head in recognition of my recognition of him was quite measurable.

    It must be weird in their shoes because they get that nonsense daily.

    Great to see you're still around James. The List of still active if you want to post and say Hello. Andrea (aye, really), is still kicking around!
    Last edited by Gregor; 11-10-2021 at 09:53 PM.

  5. #184
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,137
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nid is someone you want on your side on the pitch, will give his all, away from it, cap on, head down and I donít think he likes chatting to folks, and I will leave it at that.
    Maybe just a private guy nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is the life and soul. Also need to give players a wee bit of leeway some will like going out and being recognised while others will hate it especially when you are probably having to deal with very rude and or drunk fans of all teams when out and about. Also given the age of players they will still be very young and forming their own adult personalities at the same time.

  6. #185
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,347
    They say never meet your heroes but on the flip side of this I have met a few HIBS players who have exceeded expectations everyone an absolute gem and a gentleman :

    Take a bow Erich Schaedler Pat Stanton Eric Stevenson Alan Gordon Jimmy OíRourke Willie Wilson George Stewart and Chris Shevlane
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 12-10-2021 at 09:44 AM.

  7. #186
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Posts
    6,578
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe just a private guy nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is the life and soul. Also need to give players a wee bit of leeway some will like going out and being recognised while others will hate it especially when you are probably having to deal with very rude and or drunk fans of all teams when out and about. Also given the age of players they will still be very young and forming their own adult personalities at the same time.
    I personally was just put off by his dismissal. I left him immediately tbf

  8. #187
    @hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Essex (the nice bit)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,372
    I have had the pleasure of meeting many of my heroes at London Hibs nights and almost without exception they have been a joy to talk to. However that one exception is Micky Weir. He was down for a Burns Night one year with a mate and as I always loved him as a player I was keen to have a wee chat. I sort of loitered at a polite distance and waited for him to finish speaking to his mate. After a couple of minutes, I just left it. About an later I tried again, trying to catch his eye, but he remained in conversation with his mate. He saw me, ignored me and carried on chatting to his mate for the rest of the night. I gave up and went to listen to Kano lead the group in some traditional Hibs singing.

    Others there may have had a different view of him that night, but it was a bit poor coming to a Supporters Event and ignoring supporters (it wasn't just me!). Even know when he does is column in the News I think to myself that I don't care what he thinks, most of it is bl**dy obvious and it is badly written. SOrt of knee jerk, but still loved him as a player.

  9. #188
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They say never meet your heroes but on the flip side of this I have met a few HIBS players who have exceeded expectations everyone an absolute gem and a gentleman :

    Take a bow Erich Schaedler Pat Stanton Eric Stevenson Alan Gordon Jimmy OíRourke Willie Wilson George Stewart and Chris Shevlane
    There's a few of them not able to take a bow 😥

  10. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have had the pleasure of meeting many of my heroes at London Hibs nights and almost without exception they have been a joy to talk to. However that one exception is Micky Weir. He was down for a Burns Night one year with a mate and as I always loved him as a player I was keen to have a wee chat. I sort of loitered at a polite distance and waited for him to finish speaking to his mate. After a couple of minutes, I just left it. About an later I tried again, trying to catch his eye, but he remained in conversation with his mate. He saw me, ignored me and carried on chatting to his mate for the rest of the night. I gave up and went to listen to Kano lead the group in some traditional Hibs singing.

    Others there may have had a different view of him that night, but it was a bit poor coming to a Supporters Event and ignoring supporters (it wasn't just me!). Even know when he does is column in the News I think to myself that I don't care what he thinks, most of it is bl**dy obvious and it is badly written. SOrt of knee jerk, but still loved him as a player.
    Always loved Mickey Weir too (obviously!). I haven't read the Evening News in years but I'd be surprised if he actually writes his column. Most likely a reporter gives him a call, gets a bit of feedback then pulls it together. As you say, these sort of columns rarely tell you much you didn't know, but then I don't imagine the Evening News pay anything like enough to bring somebody with a bit more clout on board.

  11. #190
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there's a few of them not able to take a bow 😥
    rip

  12. #191
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alloa
    Age
    56
    Posts
    10,207
    Blog Entries
    1
    Never really took to Pat Stanton, Frank Sauzee or David Gray.

  13. #192
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally was just put off by his dismissal. I left him immediately tbf
    I was just saying some players will be more comfortable than others. Absolutely no excuse for being rude if someone is being polite to them imo.

  14. #193
    Kevin Thomson, Leigh Griffiths, both decent players that I never took to, never got the regard Marciano seemed to be held in either.

  15. #194
    Roy Barry.
    Ray Wilkins
    Bertie Auld.
    Gordon Durie.
    Benji.
    Joe Baker.
    Colin Stein.
    Andy Watson.
    Matt Doherty.
    Billy Kirkwood.
    Johnny Hamilton

  16. #195
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    11,656
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy Barry.
    Ray Wilkins
    Bertie Auld.
    Gordon Durie.
    Benji.
    Joe Baker.
    Colin Stein.
    Andy Watson.
    Matt Doherty.
    Billy Kirkwood.
    Johnny Hamilton
    Got to ask as there were plenty at it I think but why on earth couldnít you like Joe Baker? Please explain.

  17. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to ask as there were plenty at it I think but why on earth couldnít you like Joe Baker? Please explain.
    Very sad. Met him at tne Usher Hall at the HOH gig. He was obnixious, no idea why.

    Met alot of stars that night, still hurts to think about Joe.

  18. #197
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    11,656
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very sad. Met him at tne Usher Hall at the HOH gig. He was obnixious, no idea why.

    Met alot of stars that night, still hurts to think about Joe.
    Thatís hellish and honestly the first time Iíve heard of anything like it. Maybe he was having a bad night. I was at the Usher Hall that night too but had a bit to drink myself.
    Sorry I asked now.

  19. #198
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,347
    Strange one

    Joe Baker always seemed to have that Sid James crinkly smile and always seemed to be in a good mood

    Must have been having a bad night

  20. #199
    'S' Form The Veteran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    The Trevi Fountain
    Posts
    18
    ĎButchí Wilkins for me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)