hibs.net Messageboard

Every day is like Sunday

For those who remember the Morrissey song, it started going round in my head last Saturday when, driving to the Corn Exchange to drop off one of my kids, I found myself amidst the fans and traffic heading to Tynecastle.

It was a grey, rainy old afternoon for sure, but no matter the weather there's something irredeemably sterile about that part of town. Compared to the wide open boulevards of London Road and Leith Walk, the bustle of Easter Road, the Holy Ground rising to greet you along with the strains of Sunshine on Leith, the whole matchday 'feel' around Gorgie/Dalry just screams 'Sunday' whatever day of the week it is (jeez, even typing the words Gorgie and Dalry make you feel depressed). Even that unfathomably expensive new main stand at Tynecastle can't lift the gloom. With its office-block style frontage it just reminds me of the days when I used to have to go into work on a Sunday. Throw in a liberal dash of the colour maroon (is there a worse colour than this? Honestly, who would consider using this colour for anything?) and it's a soul-sapping experience all round.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those who remember the Morrissey song, it started going round in my head last Saturday when, driving to the Corn Exchange to drop off one of my kids, I found myself amidst the fans and traffic heading to Tynecastle.

It was a grey, rainy old afternoon for sure, but no matter the weather there's something irredeemably sterile about that part of town. Compared to the wide open boulevards of London Road and Leith Walk, the bustle of Easter Road, the Holy Ground rising to greet you along with the strains of Sunshine on Leith, the whole matchday 'feel' around Gorgie/Dalry just screams 'Sunday' whatever day of the week it is (jeez, even typing the words Gorgie and Dalry make you feel depressed). Even that unfathomably expensive new main stand at Tynecastle can't lift the gloom. With its office-block style frontage it just reminds me of the days when I used to have to go into work on a Sunday. Throw in a liberal dash of the colour maroon (is there a worse colour than this? Honestly, who would consider using this colour for anything?) and it's a soul-sapping experience all round.
    Heaven knows I’m miserable now reading about that place!

Testimonial Due
    Lived in the Gorgie end of Dalry Road for a while. Very depressing area.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

Excellent, made me smile 😀

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Every single time I watch hearts I think the same thing. What a dour depressing strip, compared with the bright fresh green of our Hibs.

Each to their own, but maroon is not an attractive colour.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I was born and brought up in Gorgie

In the sixties it was like being brought up in black and white with the constant pong from the Distillery

I would amble along to Tiny every other Saturday on my own watching the Jam Tarts

I even thought the sash was a catchy tune innocently not knowing any better - I attended Catholic School

Deliverence was just around the corner I had what you might call a eureka moment as glorious technicolour suddenly burst into my dull hum drum existence

My Dad who used to regale me with stories of the Famous Five and who had always insisted I was wasting my time with the maroon balloons decided to take drastic action and took me along to a European night at the Holy Ground - not the Texaco Cup

Sent down the front beside the other schoolboys I took my position on the wall and my heart almost burst when I saw the green strips with the white sleeves reflecting resplendently under the drench floodlighting as the teams ran out to a tumultuous roar from the assembled 40000 crowd

I thought to myself “ That is my team”

I was in love

Even more so when Colin Colin Stein lobbed Gary Sprake from the tightest of angles in the early minutes to square the tie on the night

That Saturday I stood outside Tiny waiting for the number 1 bus to take me down to the cobbles of Easter Road
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 05-10-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x Aldoo x
    I had a similar epiphany to Billyhibs. Born and raised in Hutchison most of my family supported Hearts. I used to sell Goalden Goal tickets to get me into Tynie for free. I was not allowed to go to ER myself at the time and I just wanted to watch live football. Until the day my brother and his mates went to watch Hibs and took me along. There was a buzz I had never experienced at Tynie and I knew this was my team.

Brought up in the West Side of the City all friends were Hearts fans. Dad lived just off Easter Road as a youngster and followed the crowd one day to the stadium and he was hooked. My dad took me to a game at Tynecastle then to Easter Road. This was 1967 and I chose Hibs even though it meant not going to games with my pals.
    The European nights justified my decision as a youngster it seemed that it was European football every season.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Spent the first years of my working life at Westfield Rd and gravitated around Gorgie a lot. It is a gloomy old place.

Historically it was the site of a massive pig farm, the place was literally swimming in jobbies. It was then the site of a big glue factory, before the distillery and brewery started pumping out that disgusting stink that always greeted you as soon as you hit Fountainbridge from the centre of town. But the foundations of Gorgie are literally centuries of congealed glue and pig poo. It’s hardly surprising it’s a miserable, stinking, smelly hovel of a place. I wouldn’t even drink the water.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Historically it was the site of a massive pig farm, the place was literally swimming in jobbies. It was then the site of a big glue factory, before the distillery and brewery started pumping out that disgusting stink that always greeted you as soon as you hit Fountainbridge from the centre of town. But the foundations of Gorgie are literally centuries of congealed glue and pig poo. It’s hardly surprising it’s a miserable, stinking, smelly hovel of a place. I wouldn’t even drink the water.

Don't sit on the fence,tell us how you really feel?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The circle of life

Having lived in both areas there's not much difference between Gorgie Road and Easter Road to be honest. It's a nicer walk from Princes Street to Easter Road with London Road Gardens though.

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Having lived in both areas there's not much difference between Gorgie Road and Easter Road to be honest. It's a nicer walk from Princes Street to Easter Road with London Road Gardens though.
    Easter Road is on the up
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/food-and-drink/how-edinburghs-easter-road-became-scotlands-coolest-new-food-neighbourhood-3179031%3famp

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    The streets are wider around Easter Road/Leith Walk than in Gorgie, so there's more light and the impression of being further away from the traffic. I find it far less oppressive.

I know where I'd rather go for a stroll.