hibs.net Messageboard

FIFA world rankings

How does this work? Someone mentioned in the Scotland thread that finishing runners up in our group gives us a shot at being second seeds for the next qualifiers....sadly these are based on rankings not where you finished last so I had a look on the FIFA website to see where we currently are....25th in Europe, we need to be in the top 20 to be in pot two.
    Wiki has a formula for calculating points but it doesn't stack up against the movement in points I saw on the FIFA site after our last round of games. From looking at the change in points in the FIFA table I would guess we would need to actually qualify for Qatar to stand a chance of overtaking the teams above us to get in that second pot for the Euro's.
    Any experts on FIFA rankings out there?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Last time we got the second seed for qualifying we managed to **** up spectacularly, so UEFA are probably just being cautious.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    I think the seeding for qualifiers for the next euros is based on how well we do in the next nations league.

If we'd managed to win one of those last two games to top the last nations league group I think we'd have been guaranteed 2nd seed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Not 100% sure but I read it as we’d be seeded for the actual play-off itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevi_SOL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not 100% sure but I read it as we’d be seeded for the actual play-off itself.
    12 teams , top 6 are seeded Get the home semi .
    Scotland are currently the 4th best seeded but there’s still 3 games to go

Seedings are based on the nations league, not world rankings.
    World rankings matter for very little now

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Seedings are based on the nations league, not world rankings.
    World rankings matter for very little now
    The seedings of the 10 runners up are based on results in the qualifying group against the teams who finish 1-5 in that group.

Scotland's currently in 4th place.

The Nations League provides the other two play off teams and those two sides are determined by the Nations League rankings.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    The seedings of the 10 runners up are based on results in the qualifying group against the teams who finish 1-5 in that group.

Scotland's currently in 4th place.

The Nations League provides the other two play off teams and those two sides are determined by the Nations League rankings.
    He means for euros qualifying, not the play offs

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    He means for euros qualifying, not the play offs
    Ah right apologies.

I should have read the thread more, still sleepy.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    If we win our nations group we'll be second seeds. It also looks like the playoffs are going to be group-specific again (?) so winning the group wouldn't hurt in that respect either.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 11-10-2021 at 07:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Just read this thread and I'm very confused !

The FIFA world rankings are a strange one. Belgium have been ranked top on and off for the past decade, and won nothing.

We’re ranked 45th, 23 places behind Iran who are ranked 22nd, 13 behind Australia who are 32nd, and 2 behind Qatar. I’d be fuming if we got beat by any of those sides, so it’s strange that so much weighting is put behind the rankings - I’d be interested to see their methodology.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    The FIFA world rankings are a strange one. Belgium have been ranked top on and off for the past decade, and won nothing.

We’re ranked 45th, 23 places behind Iran who are ranked 22nd, 13 behind Australia who are 32nd, and 2 behind Qatar. I’d be fuming if we got beat by any of those sides, so it’s strange that so much weighting is put behind the rankings - I’d be interested to see their methodology.
    You’d be fuming if Australia beat us?

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    You’d be fuming if Australia beat us?

J
    Tbh, absolutely.

We should, in theory be well ahead of them in most department. John McGinn/McTominay/Gilmour should dominate Irvine/Rogic/Hrustic.

We’ve got a better defence, and hate to say it, better no.1 keeper. The only departments I’m sure they’re better than us in is wingers/attackers in Martin Boyle.

Losing against them would be a terrible result.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    If we win our nations group we'll be second seeds. It also looks like the playoffs are going to be group-specific again (?) so winning the group wouldn't hurt in that respect either.
    Thanks, so the 16 teams in the A groups will in pots 1 and 2 and the remaining places taken by whoever wins the B groups. Looking at some of the relegated teams from the last nations league that might be possible.....coming down to our level will be Bosnia, Iceland, Sweden and Ukraine. I therefore assume the same will be the case with the next world cup qualifiers....if we start in the A groups (promotion in the text tournament) then we will be in one of the top two pots minimum?

Just found this, a calculator where someone else does the work for you :-)

https://football-ranking.com/calcula...211116_SCO_DEN

Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    Tbh, absolutely.

We should, in theory be well ahead of them in most department. John McGinn/McTominay/Gilmour should dominate Irvine/Rogic/Hrustic.

We’ve got a better defence, and hate to say it, better no.1 keeper. The only departments I’m sure they’re better than us in is wingers/attackers in Martin Boyle.

Losing against them would be a terrible result.
    Australia are a very good team and by that I mean they play very much as a team unit.

They might not have megastars but they are pretty efficient side. Probably around the same level as Scotland.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Just read this thread and I'm very confused !
    Lucky you! I’ve just read it and want my mummy.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    Thanks, so the 16 teams in the A groups will in pots 1 and 2 and the remaining places taken by whoever wins the B groups. Looking at some of the relegated teams from the last nations league that might be possible.....coming down to our level will be Bosnia, Iceland, Sweden and Ukraine. I therefore assume the same will be the case with the next world cup qualifiers....if we start in the A groups (promotion in the text tournament) then we will be in one of the top two pots minimum?
    Might be wrong but pretty sure that the nation's league only affects the euros qualifying seeds.

World cup qualifying group seeds are determined purely by FIFA world rankings, or at least they were for the current group, maybe it will have changed in 4 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Australia are a very good team and by that I mean they play very much as a team unit.

They might not have megastars but they are pretty efficient side. Probably around the same level as Scotland.
    easily yes

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Might be wrong but pretty sure that the nation's league only affects the euros qualifying seeds.

World cup qualifying group seeds are determined purely by FIFA world rankings, or at least they were for the current group, maybe it will have changed in 4 years time.
    That’s correct. Which is another reason why us making an arse of the last nations league group after qualifying for the euros might come back to bite us on the backside (we should be in the top tier now, which would’ve meant at worst pot 2 for the euro qualifying - with a chance of pot 1 - instead we’ll need to win the next group to be in pot 2, but most likely be in pot 3).