hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Porto: Negative Press

Hibs - as a club - better step up and start speaking up on the back of the whole 90 mins officiating yesterday and backing up Porto.

The amount of anti Porteous vile being spouted throughout the media today is awful and it will only enable the existing narrative against porto going forward, especially in big games.
    Last edited by Steve88; 04-10-2021 at 07:41 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good luck with that one. Dignified silence or in other words being walked over is the Hibs way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs - as a club - better step up and start speaking up on the back of the whole 90 mins officiating yesterday and backing up Porto.

The amount anti Porteous vile being spouted throughout the media today is awful and it will only enable the existing narrative against porto going forward, especially in big games.
    This is why I mentioned on the PM board I’d have liked to have seen Ross defend Porto a bit more.

I think he’s coming under attack from all quarters for a tackle that was perfectly fair. If no foul was given they’d have been praising it in his highlights reel.

I know Ross has said he didn’t think it was a foul but the tone of the interview was still that it was his own fault as he ‘gave the ref a decision to make’.

It was a sliding tackle he was perfectly entitled to make.

Would be nice to see the club defend him a bit more than he has been since the game.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Good luck with that one. Dignified silence or in other words being walked over is the Hibs way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I'm sure Ron watched the match yesterday and with his background he surely has the ability to fight back and to your point, not be seen as weak..

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I'm sure Ron watched the match yesterday and with his background he surely has the ability to fight back and to your point, not be seen as weak..
    What exactly would you like Ron to do?

The amount of anti Porteous vile being spouted throughout the media today is awful and it will only enable the existing narrative against porto going forward, especially in big games.

Steven Gerrard started this 'dirty player' agenda and is lapping up the rewards, man has no shame, some of the tackles he made in his career were 100 times worse.

I knew after the incident the big bad Porto narrative would be wheeled out by Gerrard, the media and the hun masses post match.

Hibs can’t stay silent on this one while a young player gets slaughtered in the press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any examples of this actually working?

Honestly just rather we won the next match and beat Rangers in the semi.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's Ron's Club and as a result of that he can direct those employed employed in the club to take action/no action as directed.

As I said, my grievance here is about Hibs being walked over as a club, especially one player. It set's a bad precedent going forward and only further enables and strengthens any pre-existing narrative circulating in the media..

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    I knew after the incident the big bad Porto narrative would be wheeled out by Gerrard, the media and the hun masses post match.

Hibs can’t stay silent on this one while a young player gets slaughtered in the press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is my point. If we enable it for one player it gives the press free reign to do it going forward. The agenda of the press isn't to report the news (the facts) but to sell stories - There's a big difference in those two..

Gamer IDs

It's Ron's Club and as a result of that he can direct those employed employed in the club to take action/no action as directed.

As I said, my grievance here is about Hibs being walked over as a club, especially one player. It set's a bad precedent going forward and only further enables and strengthens any pre-existing narrative circulating in the media..
    What do you want Hibs to do? What action are you talking about?

Do you want him to tweet something like Romanov used to?

Do you want him to try to get on tv to talk about how we’re cheated?

Do you want him to contact the league to complain (but obviously make it public so we’re not seen to be “swallowing the narrative”)?

The weegie press is taking the standard weegie press action just now. Gerrards come out after the game, and in his wee ratty **** fashion he’s had a go at Porteous.

A few pundits on the telly have said it’s a bad challenge.

Is Porteous s really being slaughtered in the media? Not for me.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    My concern is Porto thinks enough is enough and there is no point in him playing in Scotland anymore.

I'm not sure how it would pan out if Hibs appealed the red, given the media coverage I don't think it is worth it.

Could see this ending up sometime in the future as the old senario of i am marked man in Scotland hence i am off to England.Did that not happen with Willie Young of Aberdeen and a few others.Suprisingly it never happened with Hun Centre halfs.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    My concern is Porto thinks enough is enough and there is no point in him playing in Scotland anymore.

I'm not sure how it would pan out if Hibs appealed the red, given the media coverage I don't think it is worth it.
    I was under the impression he was looking to move on anyway? Half expected him to go in the summer, glad he stayed but thought he’ll prob be away after this season anyway,

If I was Ryan I would be thinking about a move down south, which is extremely sad in my opinion.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Agree with you.

A Message from History

Think Big John McNamee. Big John had had enough. He thought he was a marked man in Scotland. Knew he had to get out.
    Went to Newcastle and won a Fairs Cup/Uefa medal. Brilliant big centre half.

Porteous needs to be more clever but feel he might be better protected in England. And treated with fairness.

For whats its worth i also think Skippy is being vindictive against a young player just because Porto had the temerity to speak back to him last season at Easter Road.The language Skippy is using is a disgrace and says a more about him than Porto.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    For whats its worth i also think Skippy is being vindictive against a young player just because Porto had the temerity to speak back to him last season at Easter Road.The language Skippy is using is a disgrace and says a more about him than Porto.
    Don’t think we’ve ever commented on Morelos shocking behaviour, maybe we should

He’s a marked man due to Slippy G being allowed to spout his pish anytime he feels like it. The Scottish media lap it up, it’s all over social media so certain refs make their mind up without taking that extra few seconds to consider the offence. The linesman was very near and didn’t flag. Porto has history with them and everyone knows it. There where other decisions in that game that need explained too, All this will be in the media the week before the semi just to put the pressure on us, it’s so predictable and wrong.

Unfortunately we'd get no support from the press if we defended our defender. The Rangers went to war over Morelos and the press backed them to the hilt. His behaviour has not changed, simply his treatment from referees, yet they praise him as a reformed character.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Don’t think we’ve ever commented on Morelos shocking behaviour, maybe we should
    It’s a weird one - Morelos was criticised in the papers for a while but now rarely anything is said, despite the fact he’s still as reckless and petulant as he’s always been.

You’d think they’d turned around his behaviour but all that’s really happened is they’ve stopped talking and writing about it and refs have stopped punishing it. Money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Any examples of this actually working?

Honestly just rather we won the next match and beat Rangers in the semi.
    The Rangers have built a picture of Porteous as being some kind of thug. He’s not. He got sent off yesterday because who he is and what has went before IMO. They have repeatedly attacked him publicly and we should have been going all out to defend our player from the unjust reputation they have created for him.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The Rangers have built a picture of Porteous as being some kind of thug. He’s not. He got sent off yesterday because who he is and what has went before IMO. They have repeatedly attacked him publicly and we should have been going all out to defend our player from the unjust reputation they have created for him.
    Yeah, but would this even work the other way around? I honestly think the only thing to do is encourage Ryan to stay up more often, win it cleanly without going to ground, and get it right up this ****ing mob next time.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

How about getting our our video production team to put together some clips of yesterday’s game that our media ignored. Add in a few of the previous incidents involving Morelos and others.
    Highlight stats like 70 games since the Rangers had a player sent off in a domestic fixture yet 5 sent off in 7 Euro matches.

Don’t make it look like a Club production , and get people on here to copy it to every every football website and sports paper we can think of.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    He’s a marked man due to Slippy G being allowed to spout his pish anytime he feels like it. The Scottish media lap it up, it’s all over social media so certain refs make their mind up without taking that extra few seconds to consider the offence. The linesman was very near and didn’t flag. Porto has history with them and everyone knows it. There where other decisions in that game that need explained too, All this will be in the media the week before the semi just to put the pressure on us, it’s so predictable and wrong.
    Sorry if this has already been covered.

Talking about the linesman.....

Just before their first goal had the throw in not been awarded to Hibs ?
    Why did the referee or linesman step in and stop the Rangers player taking it or just stop the play?

Plus no mention in the media of Barisic trying to break Boyle's jaw then feining injury so he doesn't get punished.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    All that would do is ramp it up more, if Hibs issues a Statement the papers would print two lines of it then wheel out 5 or 6 Rangers minded commentators to disagree with what we have said and do a hatchet job on Porteous...you can't win when the game is fixed.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Somebody posted a collage on twitter last night of Gerrards shocking 'leg breaker' tackles. There was about 6 of them. Just show them to SFA panel...
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Left by mutual consent!
    Kris Commons.... Step forward you wxxxxxr

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Plus no mention in the media of Barisic trying to break Boyle's jaw then feining injury so he doesn't get punished.
    Not the same thing but in terms of similar inconsistencies, Allan booked for dissent, Hagi allowed to get away with it.

Compared Barisic foul to McGinns yellow card and tell me what one is worse?