hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

'The kid's not learning'

I'm aware there are already umpteen threads on the Porteous incident so please feel free to merge this one.

It's just that every time I see that line from Gerrard it really, really does my head in. I didn't used to mind him as a player, but this kind of comment just fuels my ever-growing dislike of him as a manager.

Everything about it is maddening. It's condescending (Ryan is hardly a 'kid'. He's young, sure, but he's got plenty of senior experience under his belt). It's disrespectful to Jack Ross and the Hibs coaching staff who work with Porteous day in day out (who is Gerrard to say the player isn't learning?) and it strikes me as deliberately fuelling a narrative around a talented, intelligent footballer who even without my green-tinted glasses on I can see plain as day is not some sort of hatchet man. Finally, it just smacks of a deeply unpleasant arrogance from Gerrard that his big name alone is enough for us to assume his word on this is law.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar
    I’ve been thinking exactly that since I read his quote. Condescending and patronising. He really is playing to the loyal hordes. 😡

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm aware there are already umpteen threads on the Porteous incident so please feel free to merge this one.

It's just that every time I see that line from Gerrard it really, really does my head in. I didn't used to mind him as a player, but this kind of comment just fuels my ever-growing dislike of him as a manager.

Everything about it is maddening. It's condescending (Ryan is hardly a 'kid'. He's young, sure, but he's got plenty of senior experience under his belt). It's disrespectful to Jack Ross and the Hibs coaching staff who work with Porteous day in day out (who is Gerrard to say the player isn't learning?) and it strikes me as deliberately fuelling a narrative around a talented, intelligent footballer who even without my green-tinted glasses on I can see plain as day is not some sort of hatchet man. Finally, it just smacks of a deeply unpleasant arrogance from Gerrard that his big name alone is enough for us to assume his word on this is law.
    It is time for Hibs to make an official complaint to the SFA regarding Gerrard's behaviour towards one of our players

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

Well said.

@hibs.net private member
    Above all is is hypocritical given SlippyG was making tackles far worse during pretty much every season of his long playing career. Did he never learn.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Gerrard is a grade A ******.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Slippy G was stamping on fellow professionals and picking up bookings and red cards when he was much more experienced than Ryan so I'd file this latest outburst under the thick bellend trying to play to the hordes category.

Dont think Ryan's so far put himself in situations where he's had to face any serious off field charges either.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    I think this “kid needs to learn” as well as the “porteous needs to change his game” narrative is actually nasty…despite the fact I think JR handled his post match interview well. I think he and Hibs need to come out and attack some of that crap that is being said….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think this “kid needs to learn” as well as the “porteous needs to change his game” narrative is actually nasty…despite the fact I think JR handled his post match interview well. I think he and Hibs need to come out and attack some of that crap that is being said….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Totally agree

@hibs.net private member
    Really patronising - he’s not a boy he’s a 22/23 year old man. And the yellow/red card stats don’t back up the perception that he’s some kind of out of control animal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Really patronising - he’s not a boy he’s a 22/23 year old man. And the yellow/red card stats don’t back up the perception that he’s some kind of out of control animal.
    If you want to see an out of control animal in his early twenties look here at around 6 mins 35 seconds

@hibs.net private member
    For me, a head coach/manager shouldn't be able to make statements to the Press or social media about another club's playing staff. Especially when it's as contentious an issue as this one. He's done it with Ryan before, it's time he was told to shut up and confine his remarks to his own players.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    If you want to see an out of control animal in his early twenties look here at around 6 mins 35 seconds
    Now, that is a shocker of a challenge by the kid.

What's the betting Rangers put in a bid for Porteous before long?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Now, that is a shocker of a challenge by the kid.
    Gerrard often went in with malice aforethought and was a real coward in so many ways. He loved a stamp and a two footed lunge and it rips ma knitting that he is allowed to go unchallenged and act like some kind of guru talking about another clubs player. I don't want Jack Ross to go all Neil Lennon but I want Gerrard told to keep his nose out and for Hibs and our manager to stand up for Ryan in the strongest terms.

Ross is clearly a clever guy and he is the perfect type of person to say very forcefully but in a controlled way what needs to be said. Putting the appeal in gives him a great opportunity to talk about it and making the appeal is a great start in supporting Porteous.

I want us to put pressure on referees for the semi too by making sure we publicly state that we have watched that game back and there is massive discrepancies in the way the game was refereed and it was all in favour of one side, and not for the first time.

I think this is one thread where everyone will agree for once.

He’s a total bellend. Up there with the worst of old firm gaffers.

His comments are a total discgrace towards a young Scottish player. Hibs need to come out and have a go about this. I honestly think I hate them more than hearts. Congratulations to Ryan for getting right under Gerrards skin.

Throughout his whole career Gerrard was a nasty piece of work who quite often tried to injure players. He liked a dive too and was always the first one pointing the finger at others for the same stuff - especially foreign players. Total hypocrite and a little Ned with no personality who happened to be brilliant at football. Same guy who knocked the crap out of someone in a bar for not letting him pick the music he wanted.

@hibs.net private member
    I notice Craig Levein is the latest one to jump on the bandwagon to have a go at Ryan. He's been given a platform by that great upholder of Hun respectability, the daily record. He predicts tackles like Ryan's could soon be referred to court with a decision made by a judge.
    Thanks for your contribution ya clown,now p*ss off back to gorgie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    He predicts tackles like Ryan's could soon be referred to court with a decision made by a judge.
    What an absolute helmet.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I notice Craig Levein is the latest one to jump on the bandwagon to have a go at Ryan. He's been given a platform by that great upholder of Hun respectability, the daily record. He predicts tackles like Ryan's could soon be referred to court with a decision made by a judge.
    I remember when he was talking about restoring the "natural order"

Best ignored.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    If I want a lecture from a thug I’ll ask for it. I wonder does that Everton player still carry gerrards stud marks on his leg?

a prick of a man who fluffed his lines when he had the English league title in his grasp, so like Rodgers he had to come up here with all the multitude of advantages afforded to the Old Firm, to get a championship under his belt.

I hope he goes back to anfield, fails miserably, and ends up getting the boot by the club he loves most.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Astounding. He will get the column inches he desires for a couple of days but it is beyond sad that he is given a voice in the Scottish game.

P.s Gerrard is a ****

The guy who cant control that nasty little thug Morelos is in absolutely no position to be making comments about other clubs players, perhaps Ryan does get it wrong from time to time, but at least its in an attempt to win the ball unlike his player .... perhaps Jack Ross could remind him of that. As usual though nobody at Hibs will utter a peep, just how often will our club take this crap and do nothing?

Some of Gerards tackles in his career were career ending. Perhaps he should look at himself before coming out with remarks about Ryan. He should look at some of his players tackles or were his comments about Ryan a SLIP of the tongue.
    Used to think Gerard was ok as a person but he seems to have morphed into a Castle Greyskull monster.

First Team Breakthrough
    It's interesting that SG says "the kids not learning" when he has Morelos in his team, who, at 24, is 2 years older than Ryan, yet in 4 years at Rangers has amassed 49 yellow cards and 7 sending off's (3 straight reds)
    The guy is a cockwomble

First Team Breakthrough
    Just as well he didn't need to worry about stuff like that in his day then https://youtu.be/TPCOORatnKE

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I think after a personal attack on a Hibs player JR should be publicly telling Gerrard where to go.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radge70 View Post
    Just as well he didn't need to worry about stuff like that in his day then https://youtu.be/TPCOORatnKE
    Shows how much he hates us. And Hearts fans laughing about this are missing the point that the same thing will happen to them if they lay a glove on the Huns.
    Can anyone remember Levein handing himself into rage police when he punched his team mate by the way?

@hibs.net private member
    Totally agree with what’s being said on this thread, I’m still furious about Sundays game, listening to last nights Clyde SSB probably didn’t help matters, I really hope Hibs make a complaint, I doubt they will as it’s not what we do however this agenda against Porteous has been bubbling with them for a long time and I think it has the potential to ruin Ryan’s career or force him into thinking about leaving Hibs it’s totally unfair on the guy, I’ve not been his biggest fan but it’s as clear as the nose on your face the differnce in his game over the past 18 months at least, he’s came on massively and has saw inclusion in national team squad and mentions of another call up recently.

The difference in treatment of Porto who has a lot less red cards over his career playing as a defender than that lots thug striker Morelos is incredible, he’s being painted as a guy out to intentionally cause other players harm whilst Morelos just needs to ‘mature’ or ‘Chanel it correctly’ don’t even dare to suggest The Rangers try to take the aggression out Morelos game.

It’s a witch hunt in my opinion and a lot of people commentating on Scottish football in the MSM need to have a good long hard look at themselves.