hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gutted

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar

Gutted

I am aware there are loads of threads about Porteouse’ red card. So sorry for starting a new one, but I feel the need to create one about how gutted by it all. The guy has been brilliant this season, at the heart of everything. It just feels like a hatchet job on probably the most class defenders I have seen in years. I'd hate to be the guy, he puts in a clean but strong challenge, and you have the media talking about a potential court case. WTF. I know it's all click bate, but again WTF. For his sake, I hope we win the appeal, but if not (and the media has already given an outcome) would love to find a way to ensure this doesn't put his progress back. I would love to make sure he doesn't stop being the player we are seeing develop.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Kristopher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am aware there are loads of threads about Porteouse’ red card. So sorry for starting a new one, but I feel the need to create one about how gutted by it all. The guy has been brilliant this season, at the heart of everything. It just feels like a hatchet job on probably the most class defenders I have seen in years. I'd hate to be the guy, he puts in a clean but strong challenge, and you have the media talking about a potential court case. WTF. I know it's all click bate, but again WTF. For his sake, I hope we win the appeal, but if not (and the media has already given an outcome) would love to find a way to ensure this doesn't put his progress back. I would love to make sure he doesn't stop being the player we are seeing develop.
    That's what happens when you don't stand up to the people having pops at the players. I want him to stay for years but if he leaves I hope he has an amazing career away from the Old Firm obsessed cesspit of Scottish football.

I personally think this is what will cause Ryan to leave Scotland and go abroad, I saw a couple of Turkish teams have been linked to him.

I actually think going abroad would suit him very well as he’s good on the ball and still has the aggression and defensive abilities that some might not have.

I can see him doing a bit of Jack Hendry and everyone raving about him.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Me too. Absolutely scunnered by the cheating in this league.

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    I still can't shake this one. In the first 30 mins, the game was frantic and exciting some really big challenges and niggles. Lundstram nothing. Morelos push nothing (the one I think needed a word at least).

Porto loves this stuff. So after 30 mins of it, he has a read on the game and makes the challenge (within a second, he is back up, ready to play a pass and keep the move going).

I think the ref needed to pull things in a bit, but you can't go from letting it all go to a red. Hopefully, this is my last vent, as it got me this time, especially with all the media stuff.

The challenge has to be seen in context.
    Last edited by St.Kristopher; 05-10-2021 at 11:06 PM.

I think we'd have gone on to win the game. Couldn't believe how comfortable we were even with 10 men at HT.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    I think the whole sending off was set up before the game. I read 2 articles in the press on Friday, picking out Porto as a potential candidate for a red card. Admittedly they decided that it would be due to clashes with Morelos, but you just don't normally see potential red cards discussed before games. Imagine my surprise when it came to pass...

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    I think the whole sending off was set up before the game. I read 2 articles in the press on Friday, picking out Porto as a potential candidate for a red card. Admittedly they decided that it would be due to clashes with Morelos, but you just don't normally see potential red cards discussed before games. Imagine my surprise when it came to pass...
    I think the Morelos late tackle incident that the ref ignored did have a bearing on his decision to go into that tackle the way he did. Job done from a Rangers point of view

He needs to stop going in with rash over-the-top lunges when they are in no way required. That’ll help us stop going down to ten men when in a comfortable position and also help his progress at both Hibs and towards a potential move (if that’s what he wants).

He has the ability to stroll through games. Regardless of differing opinions on whether a red should had been brandished - it was a daft decision and a silly tackle to make.. particularly at Ibrox.

First Team Breakthrough
    Was it a sending off? Yes, unfortunately it was in today's game. Did the referee see/know it 100%- no. It's like when they guess it's a penalty without knowing for sure. The problem was the context..half an hour in at Ibrox, comfortable, one up..when's the penalty? When's the sending off coming? Porteous' overzealous challenge gave the ref the opportunity to make the decision even if I suspect it was done disingenuously. He needs to cut out these errors of judgement or we will continue to pay the price. He has had a great season up to the weekend which is all the more disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    I know of 2 Hibs season ticket holders that backed Ryan to get sent off in that game. Why? Must be because they watch him on a weekly basis and he does get sucked in to rash challenges that clever players don't make. He needs to mature a bit. He has been great this season, cuts that out he a top player.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    I know of 2 Hibs season ticket holders that backed Ryan to get sent off in that game. Why? Must be because they watch him on a weekly basis and he does get sucked in to rash challenges that clever players don't make. He needs to mature a bit. He has been great this season, cuts that out he a top player.
    He didnt do anything wrong. He has matured.

He's also a marked man when it comes to Rangers.

The fact that he's a bit rash at times just ends up magnified about 10 times when it comes to playing them.

First Team Breakthrough
    That kind of challenge is not allowed these days so he needs to change how he plays or else he will be sent off again. He can be proud of playing well this season but cost us points at the weekend regrettably. Hopefully, he learns what he can/ cannot do in future to our benefit.

At least we will get to see Wood play.

Anyone else feel strangely uplifted following on from the game?

Rangers are the Champions, they won the league last season by a country mile. We were far from outclassed and - ignoring for a minute the rights and wrongs of the decisions - we had a few key decisions go against us at big points of the game. even allowing for all of that we were unlucky to lose and we forced Rangers to play very well to beat us. You can see what the win meant to their manager after the game.

I'm not convinced they're that much better than us. I'm pretty convinced that we're probably as close, now, to the best team in the country than we have been in about quarter of a century.

So I think we need to dust ourselves down, channel the "gutted" stuff appropriately and make a serious tilt at keeping pace with them at the top of the league. We've got more home games than away games against them to come, and we've proven we can go toe to toe with them. Jack Ross has a good record against weaker teams in the league. We have a Doidge to come back from injury, Mueller to come in in January and we've got to where we have so far whilst carrying a load of injuries.

So whilst I'm still hurting and pissed off, as we move on from the other day I'm starting to see a bigger picture and tbh it looks pretty positive.

Porto will shrug this off and come back just as strong as he was before his suspension. He won't dwell on it and neither should the fans, we should be focusing on cheering them on to 3 points against DU.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Agreed. Ryan made that tackle needlessly and gave the ref a decision to make. That then cost the team the chance to win the game. Ryan needs to smarten up. Good player, but his game management needs to improve.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    That kind of challenge is not allowed these days so he needs to change how he plays or else he will be sent off again. He can be proud of playing well this season but cost us points at the weekend regrettably. Hopefully, he learns what he can/ cannot do in future to our benefit.

It was allowed for Lundstrum though?
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 06-10-2021 at 01:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Porto will shrug this off and come back just as strong as he was before his suspension. He won't dwell on it and neither should the fans, we should be focusing on cheering them on to 3 points against DU.
    Exactly, he's the best centre half we've had in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    He didnt do anything wrong. He has matured.
    Maybe in 1992. Football rules have changed.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    But not for everyone equally.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll say they backed the red card because the game was at greyskull. Do you think he would have been sent off in Dingwall or Paisley?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I'll say they backed the red card because the game was at greyskull. Do you think he would have been sent off in Dingwall or Paisley?
    And does anyone think he'd have got a red card if he'd been playing for Sevco?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    And does anyone think he'd have got a red card if he'd been playing for Sevco?
    No, they'd have given him a red hand.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Depends who is doing the challenging because it was allowed by players in blue at the weekend. Lundstrum's was worse & Barisic basically assaulted Boyle then went down feigning injury. If Porteous had shoved Morelos in the back the way the wee hun shoved Porteous would anyone have described it as clever? He's being targeted & treated differently from other players, I'm glad we challenged the red if only to make the point that Hibs didn't think it merited a red, especially given the context of what happened before & afterwards. This shouldn't be about Porteous and his tackle, it should be about ongoing favouritism towards Rangers in particular. They and their players are treated very differently and it stinks.

@hibs.net private member
    Love Porteous.

A great young Hibs player. A 100% man who never hides or bottles it.

I am disappointed by the lack of public support shown by Jack Ross tbh

Coaching Staff
    That depends what you think he actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Probably. Although the important question is more, would he have sent off a Rangers player for the same tackle.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Was it a sending off? Yes, unfortunately it was in today's game. Did the referee see/know it 100%- no. It's like when they guess it's a penalty without knowing for sure. The problem was the context..half an hour in at Ibrox, comfortable, one up..when's the penalty? When's the sending off coming? Porteous' overzealous challenge gave the ref the opportunity to make the decision even if I suspect it was done disingenuously. He needs to cut out these errors of judgement or we will continue to pay the price. He has had a great season up to the weekend which is all the more disappointing.

I find this post very depressing. Like we just can’t expect unbiased officials, we need to manage them as well as the game.

Also I’d like to say Gerrard is a prick.