hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Colour Clash

@hibs.net private member

Colour Clash

Just watched the St Johnston v Dundee game and it was very difficult to tell the sides apart. No I’m not watching in black and white.
    Both in blue tops and shorts. The same broad stripe on the white shorts, even the same manufacturer. Surely the away side should have changed???
    Highlights didn’t show any big controversial moments and maybe it was easier to make out live. Just seems odd, in this day and unnecessarily difficult for the officials.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched the St Johnston v Dundee game and it was very difficult to tell the sides apart. No I’m not watching in black and white.
    Both in blue tops and shorts. The same broad stripe on the white shorts, even the same manufacturer. Surely the away side should have changed???
    Highlights didn’t show any big controversial moments and maybe it was easier to make out live. Just seems odd, in this day and unnecessarily difficult for the officials.
    Seems crazy in this day and age where away and third kits are worn at the drop of a hat, even when there is no obvious clash in home kits (Hibs away to Motherwell) springs to mind.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Away kits are generaly worn for commercial reasons (ie to sell more shirts) than for purely colour clash reasons. Modern Football like it or not. Which makes todays colour choices at todays St J Dundee game more surprising

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    At the Hibs - Hearts women’s derby with both sides wearing “home” kit, I can see why we changed to away kit for the recent Tynecastle derby. Combination of colour blindness and deteriorating eyesight perhaps but definitely more of a clash with the current kits.

I’m colour blind

Worst experience I had at Easter road was year after that game

Hibs v hearts

Spoony 1-0

Literally struggled to tell them apart

East stand view

I feel like when I see it on TV a lot of kits can be similar especially if they're dark shades of blue/green. For example in pre season I found it very difficult to see the difference between ours and Raith Rovers from the highlights.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I feel like when I see it on TV a lot of kits can be similar especially if they're dark shades of blue/green. For example in pre season I found it very difficult to see the difference between ours and Raith Rovers from the highlights.
    True. Also when Dundee had white sleeves, it was tough

Left by mutual consent!
    In this day and age of teams having three kits. Every team should have a white kit which is just inverted from the coloured home kit and just wear that to avoid any clash especially for colour blind people. This is the 21st century.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm colour blind too.

Some recent EPL games have been impossible to watch.

Whats the point.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    In this day and age of teams having three kits. Every team should have a white kit which is just inverted from the coloured home kit and just wear that to avoid any clash especially for colour blind people. This is the 21st century.
    It doesn't need to be white, but at least one of the two alternate kits should be a contrast to the home kit.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    I think it would be nice if we normalised the idea of teams wearing their change/third kits for away matches more regularly. Something that used to wind me up was when you'd get people getting irate that we dared to wear ours in an away game and trying to work out if there was a clash to begin with.

We used to do it under Lennon (I think I read it was something he actively decided to do since his first Celtic days) and as a result I have more good memories of the away shirts in his first two full seasons than almost any other so it even makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Maybe the clubs could just give up on having their own colours and make a rule where the home team plays in black and the away team in white.

That would cover all scenarios, even where somebody's TV is playing up and the colours have dissapeared.