hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Malky Mackay & the Dundee United/Ross County game

Dundee United claim that their player Fuchs received racist abuse from the crowd in their game. Tam Courts at the end of the game held up a "show racism the red card" t-shirt to the Ross County support.

In the post match interview, Mackay said the following:

"I thought it was interesting in terms of his stance, in terms of where the t-shirt came from, so it wasn't spur of the moment. As far as I'm led to believe, there were a number of Dundee United stewards sitting there and what they heard was a swear word and nothing more."
    I think it's fair to say it's a case of innocent until proven guilty, but that first sentence is an absolute shocker. Especially from someone with his history. When it's something as emotive as alleged racism you're best not commenting and giving it the "a full investigation will take place and we'll happily assist".

Keen to find out what others on here think but he comes across as a really unlikeable character.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Just say, "I'm not aware of a racist comment, but if one was said, then that's wrong and I stand against it."

Making it out that a manager supporting an anti racism campaign is a bad thing is some going from mackay.

You'd have thought that of all people MacKay would tread very carefully around this subject.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd have thought that of all people MacKay would tread very carefully around this subject.
    Yep, couldn't quite believe it, right on the defensive. Whether it was misheard or not Mackay's comments were arrogant and pretty stupid.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Not really, it seemingly oozes from him, just can’t help himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Just say, "I'm not aware of a racist comment, but if one was said, then that's wrong and I stand against it."

Making it out that a manager supporting an anti racism campaign is a bad thing is some going from mackay.
    Yup, he's a horrible character who should never have been employed by Ross County.

How can you be against someone displaying that t-shirt?

Horrible ****. Thought it was great to see Tam Courts support his player and display the anti racism message at full time, then Mackay comes out and has a go at him for it! Hope his *****y team get relegated.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Horrible ****. Thought it was great to see Tam Courts support his player and display the anti racism message at full time, then Mackay comes out and has a go at him for it! Hope his *****y team get relegated.
    If it wasn’t for Livi and wanting we’ll rid of their plastic pitch I’d agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    If it wasn’t for Livi and wanting we’ll rid of their plastic pitch I’d agree with all of that.
    I'm hoping one goes down via the play-offs too!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If Mackay says it wasn't a racist comment, that would be in his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    If Mackay says it wasn't a racist comment, that would be in his opinion.
    Well obviously, and it wasn't if you agree with his opinion.
    I agree with his opinion, yes he could have worded it better.
    It's Malky Mackay so everyone jumps on it because of his history.
    Lazy,predictable and pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    What was it that was said?

He’s a racist. Yes that is pretty pathetic.

With Mackay's history, it's difficult to know if there is anything that would be unacceptable in his opinion.

And if you look at his history, he took a course on diversity and equality after his texts came to light. That should make him very aware that this is an important matter, so he has to be careful what to say and how to say it. Did he actually learn anything on the course, or was it just a token gesture on his part?

Neither of us know what was said by the fan, so neither of us is in any position to agree or disagree with either Courts or Mackay, but surely we can agree that the appropriate response is that it's important to investigate what happened?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    With Mackay's history, it's difficult to know if there is anything that would be unacceptable in his opinion.

And if you look at his history, he took a course on diversity and equality after his texts came to light. That should make him very aware that this is an important matter, so he has to be careful what to say and how to say it. Did he actually learn anything on the course, or was it just a token gesture on his part?

Neither of us know what was said by the fan, so neither of us is in any position to agree or disagree with either Courts or Mackay, but surely we can agree that the appropriate response is that it's important to investigate what happened?
    He also hasn't shown any contrition for his previous behaviour. It was a total non-apology.

I remember him citing that course 'I probably know more about it than most now so let's just leave it' was his attitude. Except most of us don't need a course to know what he said, on several occasions, was vile.
    Last edited by hibby rae; 03-10-2021 at 11:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    You seem to be in the minority by running to his defence, but that's your right to do so. Not sure that your last sentence has any real substance in a grown up context but it's also your right to deem that appropriate.

Seems to be a right bellend.

To come out and deny in public even if you think the accusation is a lot of bull or not is crazy.

Dalglish did it with Liverpool for Suarez and he was wrong

Mackay with history is a total dud and quite honestly stupid.

Ross county - get rid

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    That’s astonishing from Mackay and you really have to question if he’s learned anything from his past.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Oldfirmfacts (@Oldfirmfacts1) Tweeted: “All I’ll say is this club stands firmly against racism. Now, does anyone have a question for our manager Malky McKay?” https://t.co/jWp8YiahPk https://twitter.com/Oldfirmfacts1/st...094134790?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Dundee United claim that their player Fuchs received racist abuse from the crowd in their game. Tam Courts at the end of the game held up a "show racism the red card" t-shirt to the Ross County support.

In the post match interview, Mackay said the following:

"I thought it was interesting in terms of his stance, in terms of where the t-shirt came from, so it wasn't spur of the moment. As far as I'm led to believe, there were a number of Dundee United stewards sitting there and what they heard was a swear word and nothing more."

I think it's fair to say it's a case of innocent until proven guilty, but that first sentence is an absolute shocker. Especially from someone with his history. When it's something as emotive as alleged racism you're best not commenting and giving it the "a full investigation will take place and we'll happily assist".

Keen to find out what others on here think but he comes across as a really unlikeable character.
    Not really that big a surprise a club would have a show racism the red card t-shirt somewhere in the stadium. Maybe Malky Mackay wouldn't have them anywhere near his stadium but pretty much every other club would have had some promotional event on highlighting the issues at some time or other so it wouldn't be uncommon to have some extra t-shirts kicking around.

Mackay is an embarrassment.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He is a total plumb. It’s an absolute disgrace that he was given a job in the Scotland set up and then went on the manage a top flight club.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I said it when he was appointed. The man is a clown and no matter how many courses you go on he won’t clean up his inherent attitudes. The fact that the SFA put him in charge of Performance was bad enough but you expect it from the old school blazers.

Crass comments from Mackay. Clearly the player heard the comment. Clubs have many boxes of these t shirts.
    Would love other home managers to have t shirts with show Bigotry the red card and show these to the uglies when their fans spout their bile at their stadiums.

@hibs.net private member
    If he is in any doubt he should have had much more empathy about the issue …Even if he is not , if the players felt he was racially abused he should again have been very respectful of their view

Even if he knows the truth, and it was not a racist comment, he could have handled the response with much more balance …

He’s not coming out of this well ..whether he is right or wrong ….

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I abhor racism and intolerance and it should be called out whenever it surfaces.

However, Mackay hasn't said anything racist and he's not defending racist comments. He's saying that his club's fan's have been stitched up and blamed for something they didn't do.

If Hibs fans were falsely accused of racist shouts, we'd expect the club to defend us, or at least question, the allegation before condemning us.

Even saying that the matter will be investigated would be tantamount to confirmation that it happened.

Mackay, no doubt, previously earned his racist credentials, but it seems a bit unfair to criticise him this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I abhor racism and intolerance and it should be called out whenever it surfaces.

However, Mackay hasn't said anything racist and he's not defending racist comments. He's saying that his club's fan's have been stitched up and blamed for something they didn't do.

If Hibs fans were falsely accused of racist shouts, we'd expect the club to defend us, or at least question, the allegation before condemning us.

Even saying that the matter will be investigated would be tantamount to confirmation that it happened.

Mackay, no doubt, previously earned his racist credentials, but it seems a bit unfair to criticise him this time.
    He commented on how Utd managed to find that T-shirt. Well they are easy to find at most clubs. Prob not at Ross County mind you. His first thought should be about the investigation and not about where the T-shirt came from.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He commented on how Utd managed to find that T-shirt. Well they are easy to find at most clubs. Prob not at Ross County mind you. His first thought should be about the investigation and not about where the T-shirt came from.
    I've no idea how easy the t-shirts are to find. He obviously thinks that they're not usually to hand.

Would an away routinely team pack anti-racism shirts? Do Hibs?

I feel a bit uncomfortable suggesting that he may not have done anything wrong, it would be much easier, and safer, just to decry his comments, but on this occasion, I think he's entitled to the benefit of the doubt..
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I've no idea how easy the t-shirts are to find. He obviously thinks that they're not usually to hand.

Would an away routinely team pack anti-racism shirts? Do Hibs?

I feel a bit uncomfortable suggesting that he may not have done anything wrong, it would be much easier, and safer, just to decry his comments, but on this occasion, I think he's entitled to the benefit of the doubt..
    Was the game not at Tannadice?

All it would have taken would have been for Fuchs to mention it at half time and for the manager to ask someone if they had any of those t-shirts or similar kicking about anywhere as he wanted to make a point at full time.

I think Fuchs and Courts have done brilliantly here. Fuchs hasn't just tolerated it and his manager has made an immediate gesture of support.

Now we're talking about it. Again.

MacKay could have made any sort of point that would have been better than the one he did make - like "racism of any sort will not be tolerated and we will co-operate fully with any investigation." He could even, at that point, have made the point that his club are not known for that sort of thing and that he would hope it would turn out to be some sort of misunderstanding.

With his history, going on the defensive before anyone knows anything really isn't wise.