hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Name the Hibee lying on the deck when…

Mickey Weir crosses the ball for Ted to nod the ball home against Rangers in the Skol Cup Semi final…

Saw it on the retro replay and couldn’t mind who it was… or what happened.

Memory ain’t what it used to be!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Mark Mcgraw maybe?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark Mcgraw maybe?
    100% correct

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Definitely Mark McGraw. Injured versus Dunfermline in a 4-0 win just before the final so didn't play. He chased a long punt from either Hamilton or McGinlay and got flattened by Goram when he cleared it to Mickey

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Definitely Mark McGraw. Injured versus Dunfermline in a 4-0 win just before the final so didn't play. He chased a long punt from either Hamilton or McGinlay and got flattened by Goram when he cleared it to Mickey
    He was never the same player after that injury against Dunfermline ( grant tierney I think was the culprit).

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    He was never the same player after that injury against Dunfermline ( grant tierney I think was the culprit).
    It was Raymond Sharp. I played with Raymond when much younger and knew him well. Remember giving him dogs abuse from the fence that used to be around the pitch. He said that the final against Mickey was a nightmare as it was just relentless from him all game

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Of course! Shakes head smiley. I remember the clatter now just not that it was McGraw.

I do remember starting a conga from the club downstairs from Negotiants led it up the stairs into Negotiants and back down again. Lost a scarf - gained a sombrero.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Mark McGraw played in every game but missed the final

Dave Beaumont signed from Luton Town picked up a winners medal without having played for the club

Can anyone remember the name of the last HIBS player to pick up a medal at Hampden without actually having played for the club ?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Mark McGraw played in every game but missed the final

Dave Beaumont signed from Luton Town picked up a winners medal without having played for the club

Can anyone remember the name of the last HIBS player to pick up a medal at Hampden without actually having played for the club ?
    Ian Westwater, 2001 Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

Top of the class

It was Raymond Sharp. I played with Raymond when much younger and knew him well. Remember giving him dogs abuse from the fence that used to be around the pitch. He said that the final against Mickey was a nightmare as it was just relentless from him all game
    sorry my mistake , but it was a terrible tackle on mark.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Top of the class
    That is something I have never ever been

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Goram did that deliberately, which made the goal all the sweeter.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    100% correct
    It's not 100% correct.

It's McGraw, not Mcgraw!

1 - 0 to the Pedants.

I remember Mark McGraw’s old man Alan getting carried off with a severe leg injury in a League Cup Semi Final with 15 minutes to go against Dundee at Tiny back in 1968/69 with the game finely balanced at 1-1

It looked as though HIBS were down to ten men as HIBS had already made their one substitution with Wee Jimmy O’Rourke replacing the Mighty Quinn

Five minute’s later Alan McGraw reappeared to be greeted by a tumultuous roar from the Hibernian faithful

His role was initially as nuisance value hugging the wing to draw a dark blue shirt to him

Imagine our delight when deep into injury time he managed to deflect a late Eric Stevenson corner into the net off his damaged bandaged knee before colliding with the far post to send HIBS into the final

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Must admit I have no recollection of Westwater ever being at Hibs. But then my first thought was Gareth Evans being the guy that was flattened.

Of course it was Mark McGraw. I recall during the game that he was injured thinking that he was becoming a very effective player for us, but then it all went pear shaped as a result of that injury. Don't think he was the same after that injury.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Everyone was desperate for McGraw to come good, especially given who his dad was. I also seem to remember that it was seen as a bit of a coup when we signed him from Morton.

However, my memory was that he wasn't really that brilliant - he was nearly 20 when he made his Hibs debit and managed 3 goals in 57 appearance (26 starts).

As a comparision, I'd say Oli Shaw is/was a similar style of player but far better than McGraw.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Everyone was desperate for McGraw to come good, especially given who his dad was. I also seem to remember that it was seen as a bit of a coup when we signed him from Morton.

However, my memory was that he wasn't really that brilliant - he was nearly 20 when he made his Hibs debit and managed 3 goals in 57 appearance (26 starts).

As a comparision, I'd say Oli Shaw is/was a similar style of player but far better than McGraw.
    I remember Mark McGraw being a prolific goalscorer for our Reserves with excellent movement and vision very hard to pin down but as others have said received a bad injury not helped by being flattened by ‘There’s only two Andy Gorams ! ‘

I remember Mark McGraw’s old man Alan getting carried off with a severe leg injury in a League Cup Semi Final with 15 minutes to go against Dundee at Tiny back in 1968/69 with the game finely balanced at 1-1

It looked as though HIBS were down to ten men as HIBS had already made their one substitution with Wee Jimmy O’Rourke replacing the Mighty Quinn

Five minute’s later Alan McGraw reappeared to be greeted by a tumultuous roar from the Hibernian faithful

His role was initially as nuisance value hugging the wing to draw a dark blue shirt to him

Imagine our delight when deep into injury time he managed to deflect a late Eric Stevenson corner into the net off his damaged bandaged knee before colliding with the far post to send HIBS into the final

Legend

yeh remember it well with that massive bandage on his leg but the final was a disaster it was the start of the tennis finals against Celtic 🤬🤬🤬

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    yeh remember it well with that massive bandage on his leg but the final was a disaster it was the start of the tennis finals against Celtic 🤬🤬🤬

Stand burnt down final delayed Joe McBride cup tied Peter Cormack playing centre forward disaster

Was it McGraw the answer??
    I remember being behind the goals with Bolton Hibee flat on his back with a bottle of whisky down his throat from the long afternoon journey up from Lancashire! When Keith Keith Keith scored!
    That was some game and some trip. Happy days

Bedlam when Keith scored and scenes at FT. With Airdrie going out the night before to struggling Dunfermline we knew we'd won the cup. That didn't stop us making heavy weather of it in the final of course!