hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inaudible Announcer

I know it's probably a minor complaint but last night really highlighted to me just how bad the announcer is at Easter Road. His job is to gee up the crowd and convey valuable information.

I took a group from work last night and none of them could make out a word he was saying. Didn't know who scored or who was being subbed on and off.

I've sat in the East since it opened so always assumed it was just poor audio equipment. But a combo of a new PA system and a different seat showed me it's not.

Anyone else that speaks at a game (Safety Officer, Interviewers etc) is heard reasonably clearly?

Is it just me?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Personally think Barrie comes across loud and clear from the east where i usually sit

Quote Originally Posted by Bothar Casca View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's probably a minor complaint but last night really highlighted to me just how bad the announcer is at Easter Road. His job is to gee up the crowd and convey valuable information.

I took a group from work last night and none of them could make out a word he was saying. Didn't know who scored or who was being subbed on and off.

I've sat in the East since it opened so always assumed it was just poor audio equipment. But a combo of a new PA system and a different seat showed me it's not.

Anyone else that speaks at a game (Safety Officer, Interviewers etc) is heard reasonably clearly?

Is it just me?
    Everything was loud and clear to me. If anything the kids complaints were it was too loud and ‘does this guy stop speaking when the game starts?’. No issues with Barrie at all.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Personally think Barrie comes across loud and clear from the east where i usually sit
    Likewise. Too loud for my delicate ears, if anything. But very clear.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Perfectly clear in the FF normally, with the new system it’s actually too clear and so loud it’s difficult to chat until the game starts!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I sit in the west lower and can hear him perfectly.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Loud and very clear in West Stand Lower 👍

Is it just me?
    Yes

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    Loud and very clear in West Stand Lower 👍
    and the West Upper. Barrie does a grand job.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Usually sit in the East and it's been absolutely fine since they installed the new PA system. West Lower last night and it was loud and clear for me.

@hibs.net private member
    Normally sit in west upper but was in lower last night and it was clear.

Barrie does a great job, no issue.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Barrie does a great job and good to see his company are the shirt sponsors of the ladies team.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 30-09-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Left by mutual consent!

Is it just me?
    He's loud and clear and does a good job.

However, there are some questionable music choices. Not sure what the music is the team walks out to or the goal song along with some music being played that's gone viral because of NFL ( CBS Thursday night theme was played a few years back) or College Football (Jump Around).

Why not keep Glory Glory to the Hibees for right at the final whistle after a win. Proclaimers Sunshine on Leith for Derbies only.

500 miles or Free from Desire for goals against Hearts.

Surely the club can find a good walkout song to get the crowd going and stick with it.

I think most fans like familiarity and certain things kept for Derbies.
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 30-09-2021 at 10:30 AM.

I wonder why when he was reading out the lineups he only used the ladies' surnames?

And if we've spent all this money on the new screens, why couldn't we have the same information about team line ups shown there like in the men's games. Every little helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    I wonder why when he was reading out the lineups he only used the ladies' surnames?

And if we've spent all this money on the new screens, why couldn't we have the same information about team line ups shown there like in the men's games. Every little helps.
    This was the case for the men's game against St Mirren too. I'm guessing he was just reading off the screen like the rest of us haha.

The new PA has made a world of difference.
    Money well spent.
    The distortion of music with the old system was hellish and announcements inaudible in the East.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Is it just me?
    It was Barrie that read out the safety announcement last night!

I’m kind of lost how your group couldn’t hear what he was saying as it was crystal clear to me.

Yup. Zero complaints for me either. Can hear audio loud and clear as it should be.

Yeah. very clear (it is loud though).

Both in FF upper and West upper last night.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I can hear the announcements as clear as day when I’m at home so I’d say they are clear enough

@hibs.net private member

Is it just me?
    🤣 looks like it’s just you I’m afraid. Although I agree some work needs to be done turning down the volume.

First Team Breakthrough
    I agree with the OP that the announcer was inaudible at HT. This isn't a criticism of the announcer who I think speaks very well and clearly. To me it was more like the echo that made it difficult to understand what he was saying. I was up the very back of West Upper.

Also on the screens, I struggled to read the small connector screens displaying the time and score and wondered if it should have been displayed on the bigger screens, maybe along with teamsheet.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There’s loud and clear and then there’s too loud.

If you can’t hear the person next to you speaking ‘cause of the volume of the PA system, it’s too loud!

I see people literally covering their ears at times in the west upper.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

Is it just me?
    The new PA system is - very - loud and clear, and Barrie speaks very clearly (always has, tbf).

Perhaps you should say where your seat was - upper / lower, toward the FF, S etc............in order that we can assess if anyone else has the issue or if it is, indeed just you?

Quote Originally Posted by tomhorn View Post
    I agree with the OP that the announcer was inaudible at HT. This isn't a criticism of the announcer who I think speaks very well and clearly. To me it was more like the echo that made it difficult to understand what he was saying. I was up the very back of West Upper.

Also on the screens, I struggled to read the small connector screens displaying the time and score and wondered if it should have been displayed on the bigger screens, maybe along with teamsheet.
    I was back row of West Upper and couldn't make him. Out at all, normally fine in the east.

First Team Breakthrough
    Couldn't make him out in ff lower on Saturday or West lower last night folk around me had the same problem last night.

Not making him out is possibly a bonus, though excessive volume is usually my main gripe.

Is it just me?
    The new PA system is fantastic and no issues with the sound in any part of the ground. And I’ve been in three stands since the first game back against Arsenal.

So maybe it is just you.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    He's loud and clear and does a good job.

However, there are some questionable music choices. Not sure what the music is the team walks out to or the goal song along with some music being played that's gone viral because of NFL ( CBS Thursday night theme was played a few years back) or College Football (Jump Around).

Why not keep Glory Glory to the Hibees for right at the final whistle after a win. Proclaimers Sunshine on Leith for Derbies only.

500 miles or Free from Desire for goals against Hearts.

Surely the club can find a good walkout song to get the crowd going and stick with it.

I think most fans like familiarity and certain things kept for Derbies.
    In keeping with the spiritual name of ER,The Holy Ground

I nominate the song " The Holy Ground" by The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem

Rousing song, good beat, foot tapping, hand clapping ditty and loud chorus!

Easy for singing section to catch on to.
    And everyone else, who don't already know the lyrics.

I mentioned it used to be sung at ER many years ago.
    Would love it to make a return.

Worth a try Barrie,i say !

There are more modern versions by bands other than The Clancy's or Dubliners.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 30-09-2021 at 05:44 PM.