hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 192
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The proposed investment in the playing surface - from what Iíve been told - is laughable. Iím only passing on what I know - for me, Ron is great, driving the club forward in areas so long neglected. But I just donít want other areas being forgotten.

    Heís no nonsense - by all accounts heís also got rid of folk who were merely topping up their pension - which is good. as they werenít good. I still think you canít ignore certain areas thatís all.
    How much have they invested in the lighting rig that I seen on the grass on Monday when I was down?
    Or have we had that a while now?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Know nothing about it but presume weíve had contractors etc up until now as Iíve never known us to have our own tradesmen? Nobody knows the hours etc, therefore the salary may well be competitive. If nobody wants them then donít take them.
    The hours are on the advert

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    38
    Posts
    11,274
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    This is as bad as the moaning on the thread about Hibs getting volunteers in.

    If you donít like the salaryÖdinnae apply for the job. The salary is there. Itís quoted. A lot of jobs donít even have a salary quoted when you apply nowadays.

    Moan moan moan moan moan

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The hours are on the advert
    My bad - never scrolled to the bottom, expected theyíd be up beside the salary!

  6. #35
    There are times when a wage on offer is inarguably exploitative. £8.91 per hour, unsociable hours, zero hours contract. People will argue in that instance if you don't like the wage don't apply but a hell of a lot of people applying for a role like that are desperate and have little choice. Companies know that so get away with that kind of pish.

    This situation at Hibs is far removed from that. A qualified tradesperson knows what they are worth and they know the score with a maintenance role. If they aren't willing to work for that wage they will keep on scrolling and will find something else, if they are then there is a reason why. I think Hibs will have a type of candidate in mind as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  7. #36
    Electricians are currently earning roughly £20 an hour on the St James site to put it into perspective.

    But an older tradesman looking for an easy number may well be happy getting less money for an easier role

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are times when a wage on offer is inarguably exploitative. £8.91 per hour, unsociable hours, zero hours contract. People will argue in that instance if you don't like the wage don't apply but a hell of a lot of people applying for a role like that are desperate and have little choice. Companies know that so get away with that kind of pish.

    This situation at Hibs is far removed from that. A qualified tradesperson knows what they are worth and they know the score with a maintenance role. If they aren't willing to work for that wage they will keep on scrolling and will find something else, if they are then there is a reason why. I think Hibs will have a type of candidate in mind as well.
    How much is an unemployed person worth?

    How much is a disabled person worth?

    How much is a down and out worth?

    How much is a mother with three children or more worth?

    How much is a refugee worth?

    How much is a person worth?

  9. #38
    Testimonial Due Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    The land of winter
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much is an unemployed person worth?

    How much is a disabled person worth?

    How much is a down and out worth?

    How much is a mother with three children or more worth?

    How much is a refugee worth?

    How much is a person worth?
    Whatís your point?

  10. #39
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRS
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much is an unemployed person worth?

    How much is a disabled person worth?

    How much is a down and out worth?

    How much is a mother with three children or more worth?

    How much is a refugee worth?

    How much is a person worth?
    An employer isn't paying someone to be disabled, a down & out, a mother of three children, a refugee or a person. The employer is paying a person to do a job, and should be paying a fair wage for the value of that job, regardless of whether the person doing it is disabled, a down & out, a mother of three children, a refugee or anyone else.

    Some jobs have more "worth" than others - how many care workers' salaries could be covered by the average wage of just one player at Hibs, never mind the wages on offer in the EPL?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s your point?
    Fairly obvious no?

    Everyone seems to have a worth according to posters on here.

    Merely asking what worth those at the very bottom of society have?

    Seems very little indeed unless they have a skill that can be used for personal advantage over others of some sort or other imo.

  12. #41
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    54
    Posts
    28,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fairly obvious no?

    Everyone seems to have a worth according to posters on here.

    Merely asking what worth those at the very bottom of society have?

    Seems very little indeed unless they have a skill that can be used for personal advantage over others of some sort or other imo.
    It's not just posters on here. In the employment market everybody does have their worth. We could debate the rights and wrongs for days, but it doesn't change the fact.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member tamig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,421
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The proposed investment in the playing surface - from what Iíve been told - is laughable. Iím only passing on what I know - for me, Ron is great, driving the club forward in areas so long neglected. But I just donít want other areas being forgotten.

    Heís no nonsense - by all accounts heís also got rid of folk who were merely topping up their pension - which is good. as they werenít good. I still think you canít ignore certain areas thatís all.
    Iím sure someone mentioned on another thread we now had grow lamps. Iím not sure if thereís any truth in that. If it is true, surely thats an investment in the pitch. What have you been told?

  14. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not just posters on here. In the employment market everybody does have their worth. We could debate the rights and wrongs for days, but it doesn't change the fact.
    Human worth.

    Lots get left behind, some get ahead.

    Especially those with little or no worth. left behind,

    Magic eh?

  15. #44
    Coaching Staff Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    26,126
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím sure someone mentioned on another thread we now had grow lamps. Iím not sure if thereís any truth in that. If it is true, surely thats an investment in the pitch. What have you been told?
    The pitch looks good this early season so far? What are peoples concerns with the pitch?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #45
    First Team Breakthrough King Arthur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Age
    52
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can there be lack of investment in the pitch?!

    Surely you pay for things when theyíre needed. If itís all good thereís nothing more to spend on?

    Besides, it looks fantastic. The Hibsí ladies goalie was saying itís like a carpet, best sheís ever played on.
    With the Dundee game moved to 14 Dec it means we've got 4 home games in 18 days, if there's a lot of rain we could be in trouble.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    11,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Human worth.

    Lots get left behind, some get ahead.

    Especially those with little or no worth. left behind,

    Magic eh?
    And this has something to do with Hibs hiring people?

    What an odd thread this is.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Haddington/ Newhaven
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Electricians are currently earning roughly £20 an hour on the St James site to put it into perspective.

    But an older tradesman looking for an easy number may well be happy getting less money for an easier role
    The phonecall I got through the week regarding St James was £23 an hour then £36 for a Saturday and £46 for a Sunday so thatís the kind of figures the club are competing with at the minute. I genuinely donít know an electrician whoíd work for that salary on offer. As I said maybe an older guy or someone mortgage free or someone with loads in the bank. All the salaries are poor not just the sparky offering.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

  19. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The phonecall I got through the week regarding St James was £23 an hour then £36 for a Saturday and £46 for a Sunday so thatís the kind of figures the club are competing with at the minute. I genuinely donít know an electrician whoíd work for that salary on offer. As I said maybe an older guy or someone mortgage free or someone with loads in the bank. All the salaries are poor not just the sparky offering.
    Think the difference though would be the volume of work. With Hibs it would be lots of wee odd jobs and general maintenance whereas at a big site like St James it would be tight deadlines and constant hard graft. That could be way off the mark but would imagine Hibs would be far more laid back when it comes to volume of work.

  20. #49
    Even if an electrician or other tradesperson wanted that kind of job security local Councils pay £30k to £32k a year for them on permanent 37 hour a week contracts with far better leave and pension packages that Hibs are offering. The best they're likely to get here is someone starting out who will leave for something better after a short time, but maybe they're OK with that.

  21. #50
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,099
    Classical Hibs.net thread.

    A mixture of those defending the club blindly at every opportunity, and others siezing the chance to have a go.

    As ever, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. On the positive side, I do agree with the OP that RG is steadily building the club without being reckless. I feel very optimistic for the future. The days of contracting out human activities are now outdated as there is no access to cheap and readily available labour. So, in looking to bring the skills in house I think RG is spot on.

    However, the salary levels advertised are completely unrealistic for qualified people at a time where there is a national shortage of labour. For example, I know from experience that cleaners in the Highlands are being paid £20 an hour right now.

    Tactically, I can only think we are trying to recruit from a Hibs fan base who have emotional ties to the club. That is risky of course as you won't necessarily get the best person for the job.

    So positives and negatives in this announcement for me.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 25-09-2021 at 12:38 AM.

  22. #51
    Coaching Staff Aldot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,235
    I know nhs only pay qualified staff a band 4 which is only up to £25k, plenty people take these jobs and want these jobs so folk with a trade cant all be earming 40k per year

  23. #52
    Business man trying to reduce his overheads.

    Shocker...

    His club, he can run it his way. If you Don't like the salaries for the permanent employment he is offering then don't apply.

  24. #53
    Sorry I've just read that someone compared the salaries to council salaries, that's a laugh. It's a private business, the same rules do not apply...

  25. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The phonecall I got through the week regarding St James was £23 an hour then £36 for a Saturday and £46 for a Sunday so thatís the kind of figures the club are competing with at the minute. I genuinely donít know an electrician whoíd work for that salary on offer. As I said maybe an older guy or someone mortgage free or someone with loads in the bank. All the salaries are poor not just the sparky offering.
    Yup youíre probably right. Was about £20 the last time I checked and they were needing more guys so the rates will have likely went up.

    Iíve been trying to employ an electrician for a few months now on a better salary than the one Hibs are offering but they all want crazy money.

    The thing is, sites like St James wonít last forever and theyíll all be looking for another job when itís finished as most are agency workers.

    I know Edinburgh College have or used to have a couple of older guys (one a joiner and one a spark) that were the maintenance team. Hibs salary probably comparable with that which will suit someone as it wonít be a hard job.

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member HH81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,018
    I'm an unskilled banker. I earn more than the skilled positions on that list.

    I just can't see how people could live on them salaries in Edinburgh.
    Cougars!!!

  27. #56
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    12,498
    What Iím confused about is how we are able to justify a full time electricians position? A stadium and a training centre sirely doesnít have enough work to sustain full time roles like this?
    A great day out ruined by the football

  28. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What Iím confused about is how we are able to justify a full time electricians position? A stadium and a training centre sirely doesnít have enough work to sustain full time roles like this?
    Iíve not even looked but is it maybe a part time position ? That would make the salary more appealing. 🤷🏽*♂️

  29. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve not even looked but is it maybe a part time position ? That would make the salary more appealing. 🤷🏽*♂️
    37.5 hours per week

  30. #59
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I know Edinburgh College have or used to have a couple of older guys (one a joiner and one a spark) that were the maintenance team. Hibs salary probably comparable with that which will suit someone as it wonít be a hard job.
    Correct - these Hibs jobs are on a par with (for example) guys on salary with the University, Council or Edinburgh leisure etc.

    There are people work for those organisations on salaries comparable with those Hibs ones.

    Basically, guys who want a steady job / pension without the (sometimes) big stress of self employment etc. Wont suit the guys in their 20s chasing the money, but someone will want it.

    One of the best plumbers I have ever met worked for Edinburgh Leisure - big Hibby as well

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry I've just read that someone compared the salaries to council salaries, that's a laugh. It's a private business, the same rules do not apply...
    Edinburgh Uni salaries then - private business...............

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)