hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We micro manage every goal we concede. (never do that with goals we score)

Now we are micro managing jobs outwith the team, whats next, who leaves the light on when they leave the bathroom, or who's using more than their fair amount of toilet paper?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We micro manage every goal we concede. (never do that with goals we score)

Now we are micro managing jobs outwith the team, whats next, who leaves the light on when they leave the bathroom, or who's using more than their fair amount of toilet paper?
    Usually me after my morning cortado tbf - talking of which..................

@hibs.net private member
    RG is trying to grow the club on and off the park. Most are happy in the direction he’s taking the club but that does not mean that no one can be critical of him. The salaries on offer for qualified trades people look on the low side and most on here believe Hibs will struggle to fill the roles or will be constantly recruiting as people move on. Fans stating this aren’t moaning they are giving an opinion on fans web forum.

Hibs get volunteers in to help with the seats and criticism that it's slave labour and we should be paying people...

Hibs advertise for a number of paid roles and criticism it's not enough money...

Hibs put a big price on Josh Doig and it's criticism it's too much money...

Glad we don't have fan ownership like our biggliest neighbours across the city 🤣😁

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Classical Hibs.net thread.

A mixture of those defending the club blindly at every opportunity, and others siezing the chance to have a go.

As ever, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. On the positive side, I do agree with the OP that RG is steadily building the club without being reckless. I feel very optimistic for the future. The days of contracting out human activities are now outdated as there is no access to cheap and readily available labour. So, in looking to bring the skills in house I think RG is spot on.

However, the salary levels advertised are completely unrealistic for qualified people at a time where there is a national shortage of labour. For example, I know from experience that cleaners in the Highlands are being paid £20 an hour right now.

Tactically, I can only think we are trying to recruit from a Hibs fan base who have emotional ties to the club. That is risky of course as you won't necessarily get the best person for the job.

So positives and negatives in this announcement for me.
    Disagreeing with those criticising the club doesn't mean "defending the club blindly at every opportunity". This is something that gets trotted out fairly often but it's not the case. In this instance I would disagree with them regardless of who was advertising the jobs.

It's like saying those who disagree with anti-vaccers are pro SG/SNP.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Think the difference though would be the volume of work. With Hibs it would be lots of wee odd jobs and general maintenance whereas at a big site like St James it would be tight deadlines and constant hard graft. That could be way off the mark but would imagine Hibs would be far more laid back when it comes to volume of work.
    No electrician with his 18th, PASMA, Ipaf and testing and inspection is taking a job for 24k. I know apprentices who done a lot of overtime and made 29k in their 3rd years. An approved spark is worth a lot more. Plenty of more laid back sparking jobs would pay significantly more as well, especially in Edinburgh. The SJIB rates for an approved spark is like £17 quid an hour. Hibs are 10 grand short here.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Edinburgh Uni salaries then - private business...............
    Pretty sure edinburgh uni recently advertised an electricians job at about 27k per year

Correct - these Hibs jobs are on a par with (for example) guys on salary with the University, Council or Edinburgh leisure etc. There are people work for those organisations on salaries comparable with those Hibs ones. Basically, guys who want a steady job / pension without the (sometimes) big stress of self employment etc. Wont suit the guys in their 20s chasing the money, but someone will want it. One of the best plumbers I have ever met worked for Edinburgh Leisure - big Hibby as well
    Cant see it. Can easily work 37.5 hours for a big Edinburgh electrical company for 10k more.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No electrician with his 18th, PASMA, Ipaf and testing and inspection is taking a job for 24k. I know apprentices who done a lot of overtime and made 29k in their 3rd years. An approved spark is worth a lot more. Plenty of more laid back sparking jobs would pay significantly more as well, especially in Edinburgh. The SJIB rates for an approved spark is like £17 quid an hour. Hibs are 10 grand short here.
    I doubt it’s intended for youngsters who are money driven though. Like I say, I haven’t a clue about it all really, just from the outside it would seem a world of difference from a high pressured project that has strict deadlines to a cooshty number at ER/EM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I doubt it’s intended for youngsters who are money driven though. Like I say, I haven’t a clue about it all really, just from the outside it would seem a world of difference from a high pressured project that has strict deadlines to a cooshty number at ER/EM.
    There isn't really huge pressure on those projects, though. Maybe for 2/3 of the guys who are running it, but for others its just work, you plod on, the job gets done. If its behind, weekends are offered for more cash. And then you go to the next job which could easily be a bit of jobbing for a couple of months. SJIB rates are £17 per/hour. Edinburgh domestic companies offering £18 P/H and a van. Agency offering upwards of £21. Its a poor wage from Hibs honestly. I'm a Hibby and I wouldn't take it. Not even if they actually put me through the qualifications (IPAF, PASMA etc) that they require.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quick search online shows hourly rates from £12 - £20 available with salaried positions ranging from £24 - £45k for electricians.

Digital sales exec roles from £18k upwards.

Sports journalist £22 - £27k

We’ve not just picked numbers out the sky.

There are journalists on much worse salaries, even in Edinburgh. And they will be working all sorts of extra unsociable hours that they won't be getting paid extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Quick search online shows hourly rates from £12 - £20 available with salaried positions ranging from £24 - £45k for electricians. Digital sales exec roles from £18k upwards. Sports journalist £22 - £27k We’ve not just picked numbers out the sky.
    Trust me, there isn't an approved electrician in Edinburgh on £12 quid an hour. Hibs aren't just wanting an electrician. They are wanting an approved one, who has a valid PASMA, IPAF, 18th and testing and inspection. Basically someone at the very top of the trade. Even big companies don't have dozens of guys like that, and they certainly aren't on £12 quid.

Nice to see another thread descend in to utter nonsense once again.

Cant see it. Can easily work 37.5 hours for a big Edinburgh electrical company for 10k more.
    Thats right..........but as I mentioned places like council, Edin Leisure and Uni will pay less than the figures you quote, and get staff to do the jobs.

I am not arguing with you - we are both right.

Trust me, there isn't an approved electrician in Edinburgh on £12 quid an hour. Hibs aren't just wanting an electrician. They are wanting an approved one, who has a valid PASMA, IPAF, 18th and testing and inspection. Basically someone at the very top of the trade. Even big companies don't have dozens of guys like that, and they certainly aren't on £12 quid.
    I doubt that very much. If that was the case they’d have to be offering top dollar to get the best out there. Same as any business.

I think we’re looking for someone that is semi-retired, like your friendly janitor at the local school, or the groundsman that helps out around the golf club for peanuts.

Take a look online yourself for salaried positions and you’ll see the same results as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    How? It’s a decent chat. I’m learning stuff here.

Thats right..........but as I mentioned places like council, Edin Leisure and Uni will pay less than the figures you quote, and get staff to do the jobs. I am not arguing with you - we are both right.
    Do they require the same things as Hibs do, though? How often do universities need cherry pickers? As I've said, Hibs aren't just wanting a bog standard spark fresh out their time, or some old guy. Their requirements are for guys at the very top of the game. In football terms, they're wanting top 3 quality, for bottom 3 wages.

I should say that I am self employed and extrapolating my hourly into a salary would make it (significantly) higher than those Hibs are advertising.

But there is a world of diff between salaried and self emp as the year of Covid proved.

Oh, and its also worth saying that.............if Hibs cant fill the vacancies with the right people on these salaries then they will need to adjust that.

Thats how the world works and its not worth getting upset about

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I'm sure Hibs will have benchmarked the salaries and not just made numbers up. I have to say though that it does seem on the low side for electricians. The electricians in my extended team earn 10k more than that for the same hours.

I doubt that very much. If that was the case they’d have to be offering top dollar to get the best out there. Same as any business. I think we’re looking for someone that is semi-retired, like your friendly janitor at the local school, or the groundsman that helps out around the golf club for peanuts. Take a look online yourself for salaried positions and you’ll see the same results as me.
    the 18th edition came out in 2017. So you're needing someone who has sat that course in the last 4 years. Pasma and Ipaf need to be renewed every 5 years. An approved electrician test requires a few years as a electrician then going on different courses and sitting an approved test. Testing and inspection would need to have been done since the 18th edition came out as well. So someone with fully up to date qualifications, who will work any 5 days out of 7, for less holidays and less money than the Scottish joint industry board minimum, in the capital city.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Don’t think I’ve ever both laughed and yawned at a thread so much in my life.

We are a business, not a charity. Market forces will dictate this either way be it the role being filled or the incentives enhanced.

the 18th edition came out in 2017. So you're needing someone who has sat that course in the last 4 years. Pasma and Ipaf need to be renewed every 5 years. An approved electrician test requires a few years as a electrician then going on different courses and sitting an approved test. Testing and inspection would need to have been done since the 18th edition came out as well. So someone with fully up to date qualifications, who will work any 5 days out of 7, for less holidays and less money than the Scottish joint industry board minimum, in the capital city.
    You should probably fire this off to Hibs and save them a whole lot of time and bother. They've clearly got it wrong.

Why do so many posters on here get their knickers in a twist at the slightest thing, if folk feel that this is a salary they will work for and can live off it then fire in and apply

You should probably fire this off to Hibs and save them a whole lot of time and bother. They've clearly got it wrong.
    I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or not. I'm not trying to argue about this or kick off. Ultimately it doesn't effect me, but its well under what someone with all those things is worth. Its not even like they're offering to put the person through those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Why do so many posters on here get their knickers in a twist at the slightest thing, if folk feel that this is a salary they will work for and can live off it then fire in and apply
    No one has their knickers in a twist. It is simply a poor wage for what they want, that is all thats being pointed out. They will struggle for someone who fits their requirements IMO.

No one has their knickers in a twist. It is simply a poor wage for what they want, that is all thats being pointed out. They will struggle for someone who fits their requirements IMO.
    Yes its getting your knickers in a twist, if you dont want to apply for the job then dont, no big deal, pretty sure they will get the position filled no problem

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or not. I'm not trying to argue about this or kick off. Ultimately it doesn't effect me, but its well under what someone with all those things is worth. Its not even like they're offering to put the person through those things.
    Reads to me that you are.

Why do you think Hibs are offering the salary they are? You seem adamant that you're correct which means you think Hibs have got it wrong.

I'm not taking the piss. Email them and tell them they are wasting their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Yes its getting your knickers in a twist, if you dont want to apply for the job then dont, no big deal, pretty sure they will get the position filled no problem
    Reads to me that you are. Why do you think Hibs are offering the salary they are? You seem adamant that you're correct which means you think Hibs have got it wrong. I'm not taking the piss. Email them and tell them they are wasting there time.
    They might fill the position, yes. Does that automatically mean they aren't paying less than average, though? My knickers aren't in a twist at all. Sorry, but clearly neither of you know anything about what Hibs are wanting here. Its not my opinion Hibs are wrong here, its a fact that guys and girls with those qualifications are on significantly more. It is a very poor offer. You can accuse me of getting bothered by this all you want, I'm really not. I'm just pointing out the facts. Which neither if you are responding to, but instead just saying my knickers are in a twist?

They might fill the position, yes. Does that automatically mean they aren't paying less than average, though? My knickers aren't in a twist at all. Sorry, but clearly neither of you know anything about what Hibs are wanting here. Its not my opinion Hibs are wrong here, its a fact that guys and girls with those qualifications are on significantly more. It is a very poor offer. You can accuse me of getting bothered by this all you want, I'm really not. I'm just pointing out the facts. Which neither if you are responding to, but instead just saying my knickers are in a twist?
    Im a facilities manager so believe me i know what they are wanting