hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The proposed investment in the playing surface - from what I’ve been told - is laughable. I’m only passing on what I know - for me, Ron is great, driving the club forward in areas so long neglected. But I just don’t want other areas being forgotten.

He’s no nonsense - by all accounts he’s also got rid of folk who were merely topping up their pension - which is good. as they weren’t good. I still think you can’t ignore certain areas that’s all.
    How much have they invested in the lighting rig that I seen on the grass on Monday when I was down?
    Or have we had that a while now?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Know nothing about it but presume we’ve had contractors etc up until now as I’ve never known us to have our own tradesmen? Nobody knows the hours etc, therefore the salary may well be competitive. If nobody wants them then don’t take them.
    The hours are on the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    This is as bad as the moaning on the thread about Hibs getting volunteers in.

If you don’t like the salary…dinnae apply for the job. The salary is there. It’s quoted. A lot of jobs don’t even have a salary quoted when you apply nowadays.

Moan moan moan moan moan

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The hours are on the advert
    My bad - never scrolled to the bottom, expected they’d be up beside the salary!

There are times when a wage on offer is inarguably exploitative. £8.91 per hour, unsociable hours, zero hours contract. People will argue in that instance if you don't like the wage don't apply but a hell of a lot of people applying for a role like that are desperate and have little choice. Companies know that so get away with that kind of pish.

This situation at Hibs is far removed from that. A qualified tradesperson knows what they are worth and they know the score with a maintenance role. If they aren't willing to work for that wage they will keep on scrolling and will find something else, if they are then there is a reason why. I think Hibs will have a type of candidate in mind as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Electricians are currently earning roughly £20 an hour on the St James site to put it into perspective.

But an older tradesman looking for an easy number may well be happy getting less money for an easier role

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    There are times when a wage on offer is inarguably exploitative. £8.91 per hour, unsociable hours, zero hours contract. People will argue in that instance if you don't like the wage don't apply but a hell of a lot of people applying for a role like that are desperate and have little choice. Companies know that so get away with that kind of pish.

This situation at Hibs is far removed from that. A qualified tradesperson knows what they are worth and they know the score with a maintenance role. If they aren't willing to work for that wage they will keep on scrolling and will find something else, if they are then there is a reason why. I think Hibs will have a type of candidate in mind as well.
    How much is an unemployed person worth?

How much is a disabled person worth?

How much is a down and out worth?

How much is a mother with three children or more worth?

How much is a refugee worth?

How much is a person worth?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post

What’s your point?

An employer isn't paying someone to be disabled, a down & out, a mother of three children, a refugee or a person. The employer is paying a person to do a job, and should be paying a fair wage for the value of that job, regardless of whether the person doing it is disabled, a down & out, a mother of three children, a refugee or anyone else.

Some jobs have more "worth" than others - how many care workers' salaries could be covered by the average wage of just one player at Hibs, never mind the wages on offer in the EPL?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    What’s your point?
    Fairly obvious no?

Everyone seems to have a worth according to posters on here.

Merely asking what worth those at the very bottom of society have?

Seems very little indeed unless they have a skill that can be used for personal advantage over others of some sort or other imo.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Fairly obvious no?

Everyone seems to have a worth according to posters on here.

Merely asking what worth those at the very bottom of society have?

Seems very little indeed unless they have a skill that can be used for personal advantage over others of some sort or other imo.
    It's not just posters on here. In the employment market everybody does have their worth. We could debate the rights and wrongs for days, but it doesn't change the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    The proposed investment in the playing surface - from what I’ve been told - is laughable. I’m only passing on what I know - for me, Ron is great, driving the club forward in areas so long neglected. But I just don’t want other areas being forgotten.

He’s no nonsense - by all accounts he’s also got rid of folk who were merely topping up their pension - which is good. as they weren’t good. I still think you can’t ignore certain areas that’s all.
    I’m sure someone mentioned on another thread we now had grow lamps. I’m not sure if there’s any truth in that. If it is true, surely thats an investment in the pitch. What have you been told?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It's not just posters on here. In the employment market everybody does have their worth. We could debate the rights and wrongs for days, but it doesn't change the fact.
    Human worth.

Lots get left behind, some get ahead.

Especially those with little or no worth. left behind,

Magic eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I’m sure someone mentioned on another thread we now had grow lamps. I’m not sure if there’s any truth in that. If it is true, surely thats an investment in the pitch. What have you been told?
    The pitch looks good this early season so far? What are peoples concerns with the pitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    How can there be lack of investment in the pitch?!

Surely you pay for things when they’re needed. If it’s all good there’s nothing more to spend on?

Besides, it looks fantastic. The Hibs’ ladies goalie was saying it’s like a carpet, best she’s ever played on.
    With the Dundee game moved to 14 Dec it means we've got 4 home games in 18 days, if there's a lot of rain we could be in trouble.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Human worth.

Lots get left behind, some get ahead.

Especially those with little or no worth. left behind,

Magic eh?
    And this has something to do with Hibs hiring people?

What an odd thread this is.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Electricians are currently earning roughly £20 an hour on the St James site to put it into perspective.

But an older tradesman looking for an easy number may well be happy getting less money for an easier role
    The phonecall I got through the week regarding St James was £23 an hour then £36 for a Saturday and £46 for a Sunday so that’s the kind of figures the club are competing with at the minute. I genuinely don’t know an electrician who’d work for that salary on offer. As I said maybe an older guy or someone mortgage free or someone with loads in the bank. All the salaries are poor not just the sparky offering.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    The phonecall I got through the week regarding St James was £23 an hour then £36 for a Saturday and £46 for a Sunday so that’s the kind of figures the club are competing with at the minute. I genuinely don’t know an electrician who’d work for that salary on offer. As I said maybe an older guy or someone mortgage free or someone with loads in the bank. All the salaries are poor not just the sparky offering.
    Think the difference though would be the volume of work. With Hibs it would be lots of wee odd jobs and general maintenance whereas at a big site like St James it would be tight deadlines and constant hard graft. That could be way off the mark but would imagine Hibs would be far more laid back when it comes to volume of work.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Even if an electrician or other tradesperson wanted that kind of job security local Councils pay £30k to £32k a year for them on permanent 37 hour a week contracts with far better leave and pension packages that Hibs are offering. The best they're likely to get here is someone starting out who will leave for something better after a short time, but maybe they're OK with that.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Classical Hibs.net thread.

A mixture of those defending the club blindly at every opportunity, and others siezing the chance to have a go.

As ever, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. On the positive side, I do agree with the OP that RG is steadily building the club without being reckless. I feel very optimistic for the future. The days of contracting out human activities are now outdated as there is no access to cheap and readily available labour. So, in looking to bring the skills in house I think RG is spot on.

However, the salary levels advertised are completely unrealistic for qualified people at a time where there is a national shortage of labour. For example, I know from experience that cleaners in the Highlands are being paid £20 an hour right now.

Tactically, I can only think we are trying to recruit from a Hibs fan base who have emotional ties to the club. That is risky of course as you won't necessarily get the best person for the job.

So positives and negatives in this announcement for me.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 25-09-2021 at 12:38 AM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I know nhs only pay qualified staff a band 4 which is only up to £25k, plenty people take these jobs and want these jobs so folk with a trade cant all be earming 40k per year

Business man trying to reduce his overheads.

Shocker...

His club, he can run it his way. If you Don't like the salaries for the permanent employment he is offering then don't apply.

Sorry I've just read that someone compared the salaries to council salaries, that's a laugh. It's a private business, the same rules do not apply...

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Yup you’re probably right. Was about £20 the last time I checked and they were needing more guys so the rates will have likely went up.

I’ve been trying to employ an electrician for a few months now on a better salary than the one Hibs are offering but they all want crazy money.

The thing is, sites like St James won’t last forever and they’ll all be looking for another job when it’s finished as most are agency workers.

I know Edinburgh College have or used to have a couple of older guys (one a joiner and one a spark) that were the maintenance team. Hibs salary probably comparable with that which will suit someone as it won’t be a hard job.

I'm an unskilled banker. I earn more than the skilled positions on that list.

I just can't see how people could live on them salaries in Edinburgh.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    What I’m confused about is how we are able to justify a full time electricians position? A stadium and a training centre sirely doesn’t have enough work to sustain full time roles like this?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    What I’m confused about is how we are able to justify a full time electricians position? A stadium and a training centre sirely doesn’t have enough work to sustain full time roles like this?
    I’ve not even looked but is it maybe a part time position ? That would make the salary more appealing. 🤷🏽*♂️

I’ve not even looked but is it maybe a part time position ? That would make the salary more appealing. 🤷🏽*♂️
    37.5 hours per week

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

I know Edinburgh College have or used to have a couple of older guys (one a joiner and one a spark) that were the maintenance team. Hibs salary probably comparable with that which will suit someone as it won’t be a hard job.
    Correct - these Hibs jobs are on a par with (for example) guys on salary with the University, Council or Edinburgh leisure etc.

There are people work for those organisations on salaries comparable with those Hibs ones.

Basically, guys who want a steady job / pension without the (sometimes) big stress of self employment etc. Wont suit the guys in their 20s chasing the money, but someone will want it.

One of the best plumbers I have ever met worked for Edinburgh Leisure - big Hibby as well

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    Sorry I've just read that someone compared the salaries to council salaries, that's a laugh. It's a private business, the same rules do not apply...
    Edinburgh Uni salaries then - private business...............