hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Was the flare thrown into an area with no players or officials there at the time?

If so, then it will be difficult to charge any of the crowd with throwing it at someone. Griffiths, however, has no defence.

And for the record, the chants are wrong and have no place and decent society in my view, but players have got to rise above it for their own sakes, however difficult that may be.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The words flung about left right and centre at multiple clubs in Scotland by people with very little understanding of these chants and actions towards innocent people, for someone with mental health problems it will be difficult to deal With, it's only a matter of time before a player may be effected beyond help.
    Griffiths gets in bother so we all play the mental health card again. This has nothing to do with his mental health, and everything to do with him being a total roaster. Going to end up with a criminal record the length of his arm.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Was the flare thrown into an area with no players or officials there at the time?

If so, then it will be difficult to charge any of the crowd with throwing it at someone. Griffiths, however, has no defence.

And for the record, the chants are wrong and have no place and decent society in my view, but players have got to rise above it for their own sakes, however difficult that may be.
    Yes, goal was scored at the opposite end of the ground.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Yes, goal was scored at the opposite end of the ground.
    Thanks.

Left by mutual consent!
    Pyros at the football is a good thing

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    In my opinion this incident has two wrongs - firstly the chants directed at Griffiths are abusive and a criminal offence. If it happened in the street arrests would be made. Football 'supporters' are by and and large free to shout abuse at a player. They paid their money which gives them the licence to abuse another person. Secondly Griffiths was reckless and shouldn't have reacted the way he did. But it's easy to say for other people when most will never find themselves in a similar situation. Griffiths snapped and reacted. Some people WILL react as it takes great courage to ignore and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    In my opinion this incident has two wrongs - firstly the chants directed at Griffiths are abusive and a criminal offence. If it happened in the street arrests would be made. Football 'supporters' are by and and large free to shout abuse at a player. They paid their money which gives them the licence to abuse another person. Secondly Griffiths was reckless and shouldn't have reacted the way he did. But it's easy to say for other people when most will never find themselves in a similar situation. Griffiths snapped and reacted. Some people WILL react as it takes great courage to ignore and walk away.
    Presuming he was in the centre circle awaiting the restart, he would’ve ran 50+ yards to boot a pyrotechnic into a crowded area. That’s not snapping, that’s just plain stupidity. Snapping would’ve been turning round where he was and giving the finger. I’m also not sure what criminal offence someone is supposed to be committing by making said chant.

As it stands there is only one person committing a criminal offence and he’s been charged with that.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Is it a criminal offence to verbally abuse someone these days? Who's decides what constitutes abuse?

I've zero experience with the law and I'm not trying to be smart, but if someone shouts and swears at me in the street I don't expect the police to arrest them. I'll tell them to f off and go about my day.

People are 'abusive' in all sorts of ways in daily life without the law being involved.

Ask anyone working in retail what customers can be like for example. The police would rarely get involved unless things got physical.

Call centre staff get abuse on a daily basis from irate companies, they don't go running to the police either.

Team sports will always, well, hopefully always, have a tribal element to the support. Causing offence to the opposition is part of it.

Testimonial Due
    The guy is a liability.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Presuming he was in the centre circle awaiting the restart, he would’ve ran 50+ yards to boot a pyrotechnic into a crowded area. That’s not snapping, that’s just plain stupidity. Snapping would’ve been turning round where he was and giving the finger. I’m also not sure what criminal offence someone is supposed to be committing by making said chant.

As it stands there is only one person committing a criminal offence and he’s been charged with that.
    Abuse does not need to be physical, abuse can be verbal. I can only judge what I've seen and I never saw Griffiths running 50 yards I only saw abuse directed at him and his reaction.

Public Order Act 1986. Harassment, distress or alarm. 1. A person is guilty of a criminal offence if he a/ uses threatening or abusive words.
    Last edited by Inconsequential; 24-09-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Is it a criminal offence to verbally abuse someone these days? Who's decides what constitutes abuse?

I've zero experience with the law and I'm not trying to be smart, but if someone shouts and swears at me in the street I don't expect the police to arrest them. I'll tell them to f off and go about my day.

People are 'abusive' in all sorts of ways in daily life without the law being involved.

Ask anyone working in retail what customers can be like for example. The police would rarely get involved unless things got physical.

Call centre staff get abuse on a daily basis from irate companies, they don't go running to the police either.

Team sports will always, well, hopefully always, have a tribal element to the support. Causing offence to the opposition is part of it.
    Presumably conduct liable to cause a breach of the peace is still an offence.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Pyros at the football is a good thing
    Do all your mates at school agree?

Surely he was just returning it to it's owner?

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Least he got a shot on target.

Joking aside, stupid thing to do, fans would be in trouble if they got caught launching a flare pitch side, same would apply if a footballer launched something into the fans

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Nah, not really, you’re taking things to the extreme, otherwise there would be thousands of arrests for doing just that at every game.

Are you really suggesting that if I shout abuse at a player or the ref that I would be arrested? In no way is that construed as a breach of the peace.

Abuse does not need to be physical, abuse can be verbal. I can only judge what I've seen and I never saw Griffiths running 50 yards I only saw abuse directed at him and his reaction.

Public Order Act 1986. Harassment, distress or alarm. 1. A person is guilty of a criminal offence if he a/ uses threatening or abusive words.
    As simple as that eh? I’m guessing there’s maybe a wee bit more to it?!!!

I can only judge what I’ve seen, one person has been arrested and charged and his name is Leigh Griffiths. Everything else is hearsay and irrelevant.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    As simple as that eh? I’m guessing there’s maybe a wee bit more to it?!!!
    Yea.. Simples.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Surely he was just returning it to it's owner?
    The whole stand culpable?

I was a few seats along from the guy who threw the pyro onto pitch and wouldn’t have been very pleased if it got lobbed back and struck me instead of the initial culprit.

Throwing anything back into a stand full of supporters is just idiotic behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The whole stand culpable?

I was a few seats along from the guy who threw the pyro onto pitch and wouldn’t have been very pleased if it got lobbed back and struck me instead of the initial culprit.

Throwing anything back into a stand full of supporters is just idiotic behaviour.
    Throwing anything FROM a stand full of supporters is also idiotic behaviour btw as displayed last night.

Pyro is for wee laddies.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons;[URL="tel:6703599"
    6703599[/URL]]It is now, wasn't earlier.

I was wrong, he doesn't just kick it off the pitch but, after watching that, I'm still not sure that is troubling anybody or if the flare even makes the stand?
    f sake mate, you on the wind up?

Nah, not really, you’re taking things to the extreme, otherwise there would be thousands of arrests for doing just that at every game.

Are you really suggesting that if I shout abuse at a player or the ref that I would be arrested? In no way is that construed as a breach of the peace.
    Why would I say that. Your post referred to shouting in the street .My reply was in response to that.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Is he free to play against Rangers tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Disaster waiting to happen if he is

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Throwing anything FROM a stand full of supporters is also idiotic behaviour btw as displayed last night.

Pyro is for wee laddies.
    Totally agree. The idiot who threw the flare as far as I know has not be charged with any offence. How proud he must be today.

Totally agree. The idiot who threw the flare as far as I know has not be charged with any offence. How proud he must be today.
    There’s a huge difference between throwing an item onto an area of grass with no one in the vicinity, to booting something into a large crowded area.
    I’m sure the supporter will be picked out and banned - will griffiths receive a ban that correlates that? No he won’t is the simple answer.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    There’s a huge difference between throwing an item onto an area of grass with no one in the vicinity, to booting something into a large crowded area.
    I’m sure the supporter will be picked out and banned - will griffiths receive a ban that correlates that? No he won’t is the simple answer.
    Give it a rest man for godsake.

Give it a rest man for godsake.
    Sorry Leigh.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He is, but if Dundee have any sense they won’t have him anywhere near the game tomorrow.