hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I get a beer when I go to Energy Drink FC games here in New Jersey. Never have a problem with spilling it in celebration (at $13 a pop I would be fuming) because they ****ing score.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not interested in alcohol at the game and certainly wouldn’t want a pint in my seat, I go for the football, can have a pint before and after if I wish. Also like to have my hands free not a pint sloshing about every time I get excited.
    Snap. Love a pint before the game and sometimes after the game, but have 100% focus on the pitch during a match..

We have endless opportunities to drink alcohol. Doesn't mix with sport for me.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    As referenced in the away fans thread from Thursday: the bams are already drinking in the stadiums. They will, in all likelihood continue to drink in stadiums by sneaking in buck fast etc, so why should the rest of us be denied a pint in the ground?

I’m sure early on in Ron’s tenure he talked about supporters coming to the ground earlier and leaving later, spending money in the stadium and bumping revenue. I for one would happily go to the ground an hour or so before kick off for a few pints at the stadium instead.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    As referenced in the away fans thread from Thursday: the bams are already drinking in the stadiums. They will, in all likelihood continue to drink in stadiums by sneaking in buck fast etc, so why should the rest of us be denied a pint in the ground?

I’m sure early on in Ron’s tenure he talked about supporters coming to the ground earlier and leaving later, spending money in the stadium and bumping revenue. I for one would happily go to the ground an hour or so before kick off for a few pints at the stadium instead.
    And the young bams are still going to get recked in a house on cans. They won't be coming in early paying a 5er a pint in the stadium. Plus games could be categorised, the amount of drunks you see at a category b at 3pm is minimal

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    English taskforce are going to recommend alcohol in your seat during the game in England, we can't even have in the concourse.. If the can have it at Millwall v Cardiff or West ham v Leeds then there is no reason we can't have against motherwell. Would be worth a shedload of money

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...-into-the-game
    We won't. And the reason is that when Celtic and Rangers get together there would be major mayhem.

In Scotland, and I'm referring to the above two in particular, its sectarian fuelled aggro mixed with the booze. It spills into the stands and is poisonous. Partners get beaten up later that night or the day after

Your Leeds, Millwall, Cardiff etc it's sections of hard core casuals (which the police control very well), some don't even drink. Organised violence without any requirement of alcohol.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't ever be possible during a Weeg derby, hence the reason I can't ever seeing the authorities allowing booze into our stadiums, never mind to our seats.

It's a pity, cause I'd enjoy that match day experience. But the knuckle dragging Glasgow two ruin any chance of that. As usual.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I don’t think it’s necessarily the drink that’s the main issue with the young name but rather what they are shoving up their noses. Seems rife amongst them.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    We won't. And the reason is that when Celtic and Rangers get together there would be major mayhem.

In Scotland, and I'm referring to the above two in particular, its sectarian fuelled aggro mixed with the booze. It spills into the stands and is poisonous. Partners get beaten up later that night or the day after

Your Leeds, Millwall, Cardiff etc it's sections of hard core casuals (which the police control very well), some don't even drink. Organised violence without any requirement of alcohol.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't ever be possible during a Weeg derby, hence the reason I can't ever seeing the authorities allowing booze into our stadiums, never mind to our seats.

It's a pity, cause I'd enjoy that match day experience. But the knuckle dragging Glasgow two ruin any chance of that. As usual.

In Germany, in my experience, they only sell non-alcoholic beer during category A games. So that would probably be any game involving the Old Firm

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    The queues at the kiosks are bad enough, can you imagine how long it would take to pour a pint with a proper head ?

Between that and the chip counter you would miss the whole game probably.

In fact, why not sell tickets to stand in these queues only, separate to tickets to watch the game.

That's a good point.

The kiosks are already slow enough as it is, so they might have to consider having separate serving areas for booze.

In actual fact, since moving to the FF Lower, I've now given up on any possibility of even having a cup of coffee or drink of juice at half-time (as I always did before), as spending 30 minutes waiting for it doesn't really seem worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee;[URL="tel:6703496"
    6703496[/URL]]Not interested in alcohol at the game and certainly wouldn’t want a pint in my seat, I go for the football, can have a pint before and after if I wish. Also like to have my hands free not a pint sloshing about every time I get excited.
    with you here

But then you take a step back, they get tanked up already, possibly more so. They wouldn’t be drinking for 2 hours straight, would be a couple before the game and possibly at half time. But like I said, they’re already leathered so this wouldn’t affect them. The rest would drink in a civilised way. It’s not going to create bother as the bother you’ve described is happening with drink banned so that’s clearly not working!

Your average old firm supporter is no more prone to violence than some of the clubs mentioned. I'd argue that some of them like Millwall, Leeds and West Ham will have a higher proportion of bams who would resort to violence.

Celtic and Rangers are a very noisy bunch of supporters but I think it's very much bark worse than bite on the majority of occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    A game at Palace is on my bucket list, any tips on getting tickets,
    I've seen them advertised on the twickets app before.

People upload their tickets and you pay face value plus a small admin charge (which is insurance foe your ticket money) and then download the ticket. You can set alerts so you know when tickets have been put up

Used it a couple times before for gig tickets and is quite reliable.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Your average old firm supporter is no more prone to violence than some of the clubs mentioned. I'd argue that some of them like Millwall, Leeds and West Ham will have a higher proportion of bams who would resort to violence.

Celtic and Rangers are a very noisy bunch of supporters but I think it's very much bark worse than bite on the majority of occasions.
    Home fans only sorts that. Non old firm games at celtic Park and Ibrox is like being at the library

For what it's worth, fans in Germany seem to be able to drink beer at games without having a riot. The fact that it's nearly always overpriced p1ss they're serving may have a hand in that, I suppose.

One thing that they could clamp down on is letting people into the ground who are quite clearly p1ssed already. That's the case especially at Hampden, where quite a lot of folk have a total booze fest before the match and some of them act like total ignorant bampots inside the ground.

The simple solution would be not to sell it at their games rather than 'punishing' everyone else, no?

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    I’m not fussy either way, but I’ve been to Murrayfield a few times and had drinks (beer) during the matches with no problems whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I enjoy a pint at my seat when I go to rugby games. Between the premium price that would be charged (as PB mentioned) and the likely wait time to buy a pint, I can't see many instances of folk getting smashed unless they are well on their way beforehand which is an issue at the moment anyway.
    Rugby has a far superior match day experience versus the football and being able to take a pint to your seat a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    What’s the point of discussing it if it’s not going to change? Surly the only way it will change is by discussing it. I wouldn’t be so sure we won’t see alcohol introduced before the start of next season to some degree
    Absolutely no chance of that in my opinion. The current government won't approve it so therefore it is a pointless discussion at this stage.

@hibs.net private member
    If the TV screens show English fans having it in their seats, there will be a big push to at least have in our concourses. Not that long ago it seems unimaginable there would be standing at epl games

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

There is a lot of truth in that.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Absolutely no chance of that in my opinion. The current government won't approve it so therefore it is a pointless discussion at this stage.
    The current populist Conservative government would grant irresponsible daft ****.
    Anything to keep folk onside and stay in power.
    Boris is an irresponsible parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

I agree with the previous poster that the SG will most likely give in to pressure when this becomes established in England.

I drive to most Bolton home games so don’t have a beer, but that’s probably for the best as the queues are a nightmare.

Went to Charlton last night and the bar opened just before half time. £5.50 for a plastic glass of Heineken was probably the cheapest beer of the day, but there again we did have to stand outside and drink it in the rain. I do find though that the prospect of being able to have a beer in the ground might mean people do tend to turn up a bit earlier which can only be a good thing both from a revenue and crowd management point of view. Also means people aren’t quite so keen to pour it down their necks beforehand knowing they’ve no longer got 2 hours where they can’t too up.

I have never seen any problems associated with selling alcoholic drinks during matches in England other than how to get served at half time and still have time to finish it. I would like the option of a drink before the match.

I don’t believe that selling drinks in the stadium was ever an issue in Scotland. The problem was people getting drunk before the match plus the quaint Scottish custom of taking a bottle of whisky into the match and pouring out glasses on the terraces.

I don’t expect any changes to be made. No surprise there!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I agree with the previous poster that the SG will most likely give in to pressure when this becomes established in England.
    It’s been established in England for as long as I can remember!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Easiest way I think is to go online and type in Holmsdale which will bring up the supporters forum (named after a stand) and introduce yourself and ask about getting a ticket. Let me know how you get on and if you get no luck I will see what I can do. Lost touch with my old drinking gang and I'm the only Eagle in the family (the rest are younger than me and went gloryhunting..... Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs/Hammers supporters.....boo!).
    The Clifton Arms used to be my local. I take it you know it?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    I drive to most Bolton home games so don’t have a beer, but that’s probably for the best as the queues are a nightmare.

Went to Charlton last night and the bar opened just before half time. £5.50 for a plastic glass of Heineken was probably the cheapest beer of the day, but there again we did have to stand outside and drink it in the rain. I do find though that the prospect of being able to have a beer in the ground might mean people do tend to turn up a bit earlier which can only be a good thing both from a revenue and crowd management point of view. Also means people aren’t quite so keen to pour it down their necks beforehand knowing they’ve no longer got 2 hours where they can’t too up.
    Spurs charge £4.50 a pint at their new stadium.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The Clifton Arms used to be my local. I take it you know it?
    I lived in Bellingham at the time so drove to the games with my wee brother and met my pals afterwards in The Railway tavern (Lower Sydenham or The King Alfred (Bellingham). Whenever I took the bus I still went straight to the ground as I worked most Saturday mornings and it was too tight for time. I had beer in the ground a few times but warm beer, plastic glasses, long queues and prices that would make a grown man cry all combined to put me off.

My drinking before and after a match began in Edinburgh in the mid eighties when I was led astray by my Hibs in-laws
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 30-09-2021 at 11:15 AM.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Not sure how being able to simply buy 'a pint' just before KO or at HT would change the overall matchday experience unless, as someone else said, the ground was open early and you could go in a few hours before KO for a few drinks in the concourse. Even then, surely you'd want more than just one type of beer/lager to get the fans in (maybe even cider, wine etc?)

Also, not sure how thousands of single-use plastic cups would fit in to our 'greenest club in Scotland' agenda?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    Also, not sure how thousands of single-use plastic cups would fit in to our 'greenest club in Scotland' agenda?
    They don't have to be single use – e.g. at Hertha Berlin you get a reusable plastic cup and pay a deposit (€1 I think?) which you get back when returning the cup. Obviously some don't bother, so you see kids collecting empties for the deposits. IIRC there was also an option to donate the deposit – you return the cup but the deposit goes to charity.

(That relies on sufficient kiosks/staffing to make returning cups seamless, but it can be done.)