hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Dundee United 23 09 21)

The chance to reach a fifth consecutive cup semi final was the prize on offer to Hibs as they travelled to Tannadice to face Dundee United in the Premier Sports Cup. A sizeable travelling support was impressive, but I confess I was surprised at the home turnout for a cup quarter final, on the back of a Derby win.

Given there are only three domestic trophies to play for and accepting that one of those is likely to be out of our reach, I was pleased to see Jack Ross picked a strong team with the emphasis on attacking. In possession, Hibs used a 4-2-3-1 formation with Boyle, Magennis and Allan pushed on to assist Nisbet whilst the two wide men would funnel back when out of possession, to assist Doyle-Hayes and Newell.

Wearing what is fast becoming my favourite ever away strip, Hibs started brightly and with just three minutes on the clock a gorgeous pass from Scott Allan found Newell free inside the United box. The Allan pass was so precise that Joe didn’t even have to take a touch before he thundered the ball past the helpless Carson. United looked stunned and a few fierce challenges followed as the home side struggled to get a foothold. There was no real surprise when Dylan Levitt was shown a yellow card by referee Willie Collum. Soon after that, Kyle Magennis forced a save out of Carson who had to tip the ball over the bar.

Annoyingly, to me at least, Hibs seemed to take their collective foot off the gas and allowed United to dominate possession for a spell. I could see Jack Ross bellowing instructions to his men, so he was clearly annoyed too. Around the twenty minute mark, Scott Allan committed two fouls in quick succession, earning himself a yellow card and I’ll be honest I think he could count himself lucky not to get a second yellow a few minutes later after a blatant display of simulation.

United looked neat and tidy until they reached our box and more often than not, they failed to trouble Macey. On the half hour the lively Fuchs found McNulty at the edge of the Hibs box, but the striker’s effort was well blocked by Paul Hanlon at the expense of a corner which, when delivered, was headed well wide of the target by Ryan Edwards.

Hibs were struggling to match the pace and industry of a United midfield and the hosts were pushing hard for an equaliser with Edwards coming close with a header but seven minutes from the interval the visitors built a good move down their right and when the ball was switched left, Scott Allan had an effort blocked with the ball falling too Nisbet who also had his effort blocked but the ball reached Allan again and he swivelled on his left foot before striking a sweet right footed shot beyond the despairing dive of Trevor Carson. Strangely, the goal came after a period of pressure from United, but it served to give Hibs a decent cushion with the half time whistle not too far away.

With Willie Collum looking at his watch, Paul McGinn appeared to be fouled by Mark Reynolds inside the United box and Willie Collum instantly pointed to the spot. The challenge was at the far end of the pitch for me and so I couldn’t be certain about the award but that mattered not a jot as Martin Boyle kept a cool head to crash the ball past Carson, securing Hibs a 3-0 lead at half time.

During the interval I said to my brother that we needed to keep things tight for the first ten minutes as United would feel aggrieved at being so far behind when they had played pretty well. Indeed, Hibs had chances in that spell to increase their lead, but Allan shot high and Nisbet had a tame effort easily saved by Carson. With the hour mark approaching, Hibs conceded when Pawlett was allowed the time and space to fire the ball past Macey and that got the home fans raising the noise levels. In response, the home side pushed harder and in dealing with a pass back, Matt Macey was caught late by the inrushing Pawlett who should have been booked for the challenge but wasn’t.

After sixty five minutes, a tiring Scott Allan was replaced by Cadden and as Scotty left the pitch, he was given a loud and long standing ovation by the travelling Hibs support. Moments later, Kyle Magennis was sent free by a wonderful Joe Newell pass and as the number 7 strode towards goal he had Nisbet and Boyle free either side of him but elected instead to shoot from the edge of the box with the effort going wide. A poor decision by Kyle as surely a fourth goal would have finished United off.

The hosts then lost McNulty to injury before Boyle had an effort deflected wide by Edwards. The game was really open with both sets of players slugging it out. A United ‘goal’ was disallowed due to the assistant referee raising his flag and I’ve since heard a bit of debate about it whilst travelling back from the game. The TV pictures appeared to show the ‘scorer’ was not offside but if I remember the incident correctly there was a high boot in the build up and so that was maybe the reason for the flag?

With fifteen minutes left, Boyle was booked for a challenge that was almost identical to one carried out on Magennis minutes earlier. That challenge was ignored by Collum. Matt Macey, who had been largely untroubled throughout then produced a fantastic save to touch a low effort, that he must have seen late, around the post for a corner.

Jake Doyle-Hayes was looking tired out by now and Jack Ross replaced him with Gogic whose first contribution was to send a fantastic pass into the path of Martin Boyle whose shot from the angle of the box was deflected for a corner.

Given that he was taking an eternity to take goal kicks it was no real shock that Macey was booked after Collum’s patience had run out. What was also running out was time for United to peg Hibs back and as they continued to push forward there was always the chance Hibs might hit them on the break. The chance was there but never taken, and a flurry of substitutions had little effect on the run of play. Magennis and Nisbet were replaced by Scott and Gullan who tried to push up on United but to little effect. Try as they might, United couldn’t find a way through and as a result, Hibs progressed to the semi final where they will meet the Rangers towards the end of November.

This was a strange game to watch as United had much more of the ball and played some decent football, but they were toothless in attack whist Hibs took the chances offered. Our midfield often looked overwhelmed, and I felt the best displays were from our back four with special mention for Scott Allan thanks to his goal and assist.

The players

Macey – The big fella didn’t really have a lot to do if truth be told. One excellent save in the second half and by and large his taking of high balls into the area was good.

McGinn – For me he is getting back to his best and I paid particular attention to his blocking or otherwise of crosses down their left. Suffice to say there was far more blocking than otherwise.

Porteous – I feared for him when he suffered a nasty head clash with Nisbet as they both jumped for the same ball but clearly Ryan’s head is made of tough stuff. One wee thing – twice or maybe even thrice tonight he hammered a ball high and long into the United half under no real pressure. Odd, to say the least.

Hanlon – A fine performance from our captain and I recall one outstanding last ditch challenge that almost certainly saved a goal after Ryan had gone AWOL.

Stevenson – Lewis has had very few minutes this season, but I thought he was at his very best tonight. Tenacious in the tackle and getting his positioning spot on he is my man of the match.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake put the miles in tonight, and I was a little disappointed to hear some fans around me criticising him for playing the ball back the way on a number of occasions. For me, that ensures retaining possession and is infinitely preferable to an aimless ball forwards. He’s a young lad and is learning in every game.

Newell – His goal was not only a thing of beauty but also a sign of the fact that he does have goals in him. Allan apart I felt he was the best of our midfielders.

Boyle – Clattered early but got up and got on with it. United clearly and unsurprisingly had him marked as a danger and set about filling the space he likes to use. Fuchs was deployed in that area and did a decent job there.

Magennis – Did his Duracell bunny act tonight. What an engine this laddie has. Took the wrong option when shooting rather that laying the ball off at 3-1 but by the same token, it’s hard to criticise a midfielder having a pop at goal when in the recent past we’ve scored so few from that source.

Allan – If we could get that sort of sixty five minutes out of Scotty in every game, I’d have him starting. His assist was precise, and his goal well taken but it should also be said that he performed his defensive duties to great effect tonight.

Nisbet – I’m aware that he was getting a fair bit of criticism for his performance against St Mirren and tonight I could see why. He needs to work a lot harder for the team and stop waving his arms about like a frustrated kid.

Cadden – Got twenty five minutes and didn’t do anything of note really.

Gogic – I’ve been critical of him in the past, but I thought he was bang on the money tonight in terms of breaking up play and protecting the defence.

Scott – I was shaken at how poor he was. No first touch and poor in the air for someone so tall.

Gullan – The laddie knows his days at Hibs are likely numbered, but he worked his socks off for the ten minutes or, so he was on the pitch.

Jack Ross – Baited by Brian McLaughlan I thought he handled the Hearts sympathiser well by talking about Hibs and mentioning 2016.

Referee – Willie Collum was as baffling with his decisions as he always is.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yes, though Gogic was great when he came on. Exactly what we required at that stage of the game. Well done him.

Why is Brian McLaughlin such a ****? Constantly at it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, though Gogic was great when he came on. Exactly what we required at that stage of the game. Well done him.

Why is Brian McLaughlin such a ****? Constantly at it.
    What were the questions Fat Jambo was asking?

Excellent summary and agree with the comments. Thought Lewis was excellent after not playing for a while. Agree about Nisbet needs to do more and less of the attitude. Got taken off after not playing well with 5 to go and was shaking his head. Needs a goal to get his face straight I think. Scott is definitely better than he is showing imo still getting up to speed and could do with a confidence boost like a goal or assist.

My recollection from at the game was that Newell did take a really nice touch from the Allan pass

First Team Regular
    Jonny watched the game on A very poor stream .Just read your post and it is a great read. Thank you very much.
    Long may your lum reek.
    Last edited by Tarrahib; 24-09-2021 at 06:45 AM.

James Scott adds nothing to this team - He certainly isn't going to become the player Hull had hoped for and he doesn't even look SPFL level.

Preference would be to have the young boy Mackay come on towards the end of games, even gullan..

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

I thought United played very well and at times overran us in midfield

At times they seemed to have more men on the pitch than us

We were lucky that their second goal was chalked off for whatever reason

I remember Macey spilling one high ball second half but as you say a tremendous save from the young fullback when he must have been unsighted

The build up to our ‘ soft’ penalty award was a thing of beauty

I am not worried about The Rangers on what I have seen from them so far this season but I am worried about our lack of realistic striking options up front

Excellent report

Stay safe

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Good read John, you made an appearance on the telly just after we scored the first goal.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    James Scott adds nothing to this team - He certainly isn't going to become the player Hull had hoped for and he doesn't even look SPFL level.

Preference would be to have the young boy Mackay come on towards the end of games, even gullan..
    The same gullan that came on at the same time as scott and done even less?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post

Still early days but certainly hasn't hit the ground running disappointedly. Definitely better than he is showing just needs to work hard and hopefully get a break or two to boost his confidence.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    The same gullan that came on at the same time as scott and done even less?
    I thought when they both came on, we started to defend better and the game was easier for us with 2 up front defending from the front.

They contributed little as a goal threat, but we gave their defenders more to think about before they tried to attack, and after they came on we were under no real threat from them.

@hibs.net private member
    Great point made re JDH. He is Vcc a master at making space and retaining possession. If that means going back the way to start again I’m all for that.
    Definitely want him over Gogic charging and barging giving away stupid fouls in dangerous areas.

JDH and Newell a very good combination for ball retention. Been key to our unbeaten start to the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Their "second" goal was definitely not given for offside and, although very tight, was the incorrect decision.

Was a strange performance but we are through.

I personally would have gone for Scott Allan as man of the match. His two pieces of magic were the difference.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    My recollection from at the game was that Newell did take a really nice touch from the Allan pass

Yeah, couldn't believe Jonnyboy missed that.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Yeah, couldn't believe Jonnyboy missed that.
    He is a long way away from the play, where we were seated

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    He did, the touch was the biggest factor in the goal for me, good pass from Scottie too but it was mostly about Joe that goal.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Not great work by the camera operator but I can’t see a touch by Newell before his shot, my eyes are pretty bad this morning though.

https://youtu.be/gRWHLP3W_ZE

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Not great work by the camera operator but I can’t see a touch by Newell before his shot, my eyes are pretty bad this morning though.

Definite touch with his right foot before hitting it with his left. You can see it better from the angle behind the goals, here at 58 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXSaLYK1QoE&t=4s

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He is a long way away from the play, where we were seated
    Correct 😎 Good strike from Joe though.

Still not seen the highlights so am keen to see the penalty incident again
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post

That video seems to have been taken down, but from watching on tv Newell 100% took a touch, it took him between two defenders and opened the opportunity to shoot. Can imagine it was easy to miss from the other end of the ground, but once there are proper highlights somewhere it will be completely obvious in the replays.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Definite touch with his right foot before hitting it with his left. You can see it better from the angle behind the goals, here at 58 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXSaLYK1QoE&t=4s
    Cheers couldn’t really see on the vid I posted which is down now anyway. Great goal anyways.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Seen the highlights now and acknowledge Joe’s first touch which was excellent. Pen looks dodgy and the highlights I watched don’t cover the disallowed United goal so I’m still unsure about Collum’s decision there
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    That video seems to have been taken down, but from watching on tv Newell 100% took a touch, it took him between two defenders and opened the opportunity to shoot. Can imagine it was easy to miss from the other end of the ground, but once there are proper highlights somewhere it will be completely obvious in the replays.

It also took some of the pace off the pass allowing more control of the shot. IMO. Great build up, great goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Seen the highlights now and acknowledge Joe’s first touch which was excellent. Pen looks dodgy and the highlights I watched don’t cover the disallowed United goal so I’m still unsure about Collum’s decision there
    Good pass, good touch. Think the goalie was questionable but good to see Newell asking the question in the first place. Was also noticeable against St Mirren that he was trying to get in to the box more.

Think Nisbet would look more like himself if he got a few decent passes and not the ball lumped up to him as if he was Doidge.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Think Nisbet would look more like himself if he got a few decent passes and not the ball lumped up to him as if he was Doidge.
    Apologies if I missed it from JBs excellent report,but Nisbet couldn’t get himself to a fine across open goal pass from Joe Newell.He looked to be absolutely struggling to get himself to it.
    What is absolutely clear is that he doesn’t have what it takes to be a lone striker and JR has to come up with a solution to support him.
    Would agree with JB that Lewis was MOTM and I would start him again on Sunday.
    One final question.When are Middlesbrough going to run out of patience with Nathan Wood not getting any game time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Apologies if I missed it from JBs excellent report,but Nisbet couldn’t get himself to a fine across open goal pass from Joe Newell.He looked to be absolutely struggling to get himself to it.
    What is absolutely clear is that he doesn’t have what it takes to be a lone striker and JR has to come up with a solution to support him.
    Would agree with JB that Lewis was MOTM and I would start him again on Sunday.
    One final question.When are Middlesbrough going to run out of patience with Nathan Wood not getting any game time.
    It is a interesting one that boro point - because other than injury, I can’t see him getting a starting slot

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    I'm sure Boro didn't expect Nathan Wood to walk straight into the starting line up at Hibs. Be interesting to see how he does when his chance comes.