hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think they are.
    Reckon our attendances are ST'S plus walk ups.
    Approx 11,100 ST's 2000 walk ups and 400 away fans.
    Looks like we have lost 2,500 supporters from pre covid times.
    Hopefully get our ST'S up towards 13,000 for next season.
    And losing these supporters is a major worry. There will be a number of things contributing to this, but we need to understand our fan base, and how we get some of these back

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    One of my most enjoyable nights as a Hibs fan was beating them in the cIS cup semi final in 2007…I think there was about 5k max Hibs fans there that night ….the support will be what it will be …there is no chance it will be 20k
    Do you mean 2004 semi, 2007 was v St Johnstone at Tynie I think

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Do you mean 2004 semi, 2007 was v St Johnstone at Tynie I think
    Yes Billy. That’s the one ! 2004

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Attended with my girlfriend and teenage daughter last night and has the misfortune to be surrounded by idiots who spent the whole match screaming obsceneties at anyone who dared come close to them! Probably my worst away day experience.

I expect bad language at a game, but for female stewards and police officers simply walking along the track, to be screamed at "You're an effing slut", "you effing whore". Male stewards with glasses were effing specky c***s. Peter Pawlett is an effing paedophile and an effing dog s***ger. Harkes was an effing Amercian p***k everytime he did something.

The same guys around us sang the Mercer song a few times too, took swigs from their buckfast bottles throughout and were generally a nightmare to be around.

There was no opportunity to move as it was like sardines around us and generally no idea if spare room elsewhere. My girlfriend was leaving at 90 minutes, even if game had gone to extra time.

Sure enough, with the constant shouting, came the spots of saliva landing on us and when I pointed out that I wasn't a fan of their saliva landing on my head, came the laughter and the comments that I should have stayed at home.

We came away delighted with the result but the night was tarnished with the behaviour of these idiots. Embarassing behaviour from them and we don't need them.
    Sounds a horrible experience mate, hopefully you and who you were with can see that it’s not how the majority behave. The spitting is deplorable.

I’m conflicted about the Mercer song though. Personally I wouldn’t partake, but the sentiment - he tried to kill Hibs as a club - can understand why it’s sung no matter how unpalatable. I resented him.

There’s no condoning the behaviour you saw though. As SMAXXA says though, the majority behave and can easily handle a few drinks at a game and behave. It’s the ‘intake’ folk have before getting in that’ll spoil it and make it impossible.

One of my most enjoyable nights as a Hibs fan was beating them in the cIS cup semi final in 2007…I think there was about 5k max Hibs fans there that night ….the support will be what it will be …there is no chance it will be 20k
    Likewise - however that was then. This team deserves a big support, 12k would be brutal in my opinion.

Just hazarding a guess….increased likelihood of bigotry and violence may put off some people with kids going ???
    Think the fact it’s Rangers might actually encourage more to go. Not very often we play them at Hampden. And I think the Hibs crowd is always more up for a game against them than they are against Celtic.

And losing these supporters is a major worry. There will be a number of things contributing to this, but we need to understand our fan base, and how we get some of these back
    I'm not sure how we get all our supporters back.
    Lots of factors with the main ones being getting out of the habit, doing other things, fear of covid, the economy, unemployment, few tourists etc.
    Our average crowds of 18,124 in season 2017/18 falling off slightly to 17,741 the following season is our benchmark.

The positive we do now know is that there are 11,000 Hibees who will buy season tickets whatever the circumstances.
    We are looking at attendances of 13,500 approx so far this season and the games against Hearts, the Old Firm and to a lesser extent Aberdeen will pull that average up to in the region of 15,000 which leaves us with 3,000 lost supporters per game.

That is an awful loss of revenue (circa £1 million a season) from a couple of years ago and this issue may be the elephant in the room when Ron Gordon is chatting about Hibs increasing their revenues.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 24-09-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Attended with my girlfriend and teenage daughter last night and has the misfortune to be surrounded by idiots who spent the whole match screaming obsceneties at anyone who dared come close to them! Probably my worst away day experience.

I expect bad language at a game, but for female stewards and police officers simply walking along the track, to be screamed at "You're an effing slut", "you effing whore". Male stewards with glasses were effing specky c***s. Peter Pawlett is an effing paedophile and an effing dog s***ger. Harkes was an effing Amercian p***k everytime he did something.

The same guys around us sang the Mercer song a few times too, took swigs from their buckfast bottles throughout and were generally a nightmare to be around.

There was no opportunity to move as it was like sardines around us and generally no idea if spare room elsewhere. My girlfriend was leaving at 90 minutes, even if game had gone to extra time.

Sure enough, with the constant shouting, came the spots of saliva landing on us and when I pointed out that I wasn't a fan of their saliva landing on my head, came the laughter and the comments that I should have stayed at home.

We came away delighted with the result but the night was tarnished with the behaviour of these idiots. Embarassing behaviour from them and we don't need them.
    High spirits and drunken enthusiasm is one thing.

What you went though was disgusting and completely unacceptable.

They are morons and not fans, wouldn't be surprised if some of them read your post.

Would be interesting to see how they could justify their abhorrent behaviour.

GGTTH

Not having an experience like angus hibby had, would go a long way to improving the situation.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    Genuinely the best football song in Scotland, an absolute tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alrR...hannel=KaBrook
    Yep - I remember it well. A cracking football song.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Why would that put some off?
    Because Rangers fans are horrible ***** and being in their vicinity in Glasgow will put some people off. We also usually take more to semis at Hampden v smaller teams as people think we've got a better chance of beating them than Rangers or Celtic.

Neither will put me off, but I'm certain it will for some. I'd be amazed if we got more than 15k Hibbies going through.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Likewise - however that was then. This team deserves a big support, 12k would be brutal in my opinion.

We had a really crappy support when we were in the LC Semi Final against Celtc in 2019. Something around 8k, I think.

Despite what some on here would like to think, a lot of people are put off going to games against either of the Ugly sisters, especially if they would normally take kids with them.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Was a great night - just over 7k of us there that night was reported at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Missed that

Left at 1-4 when the mass pagger broke out in the Rangers end and the 14 year old Billyhibs found himself on the pitch

I love a slosh tae
    We are the same age - I just turned 14 the month before the final. I was at the celtic end - no segregation then. Although a huge disappointment I saw grown men in suits crying. It was May and the precursor to the the start of an incredible six month period in Hibs history from the start of the new season - July 1972 - culminating in the New Years derby on Jan 1 1973. 70k celtic fans singing beautiful Sunday. We got our revenge later that year on December 9.....

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    We are the same age - I just turned 14 the month before the final. I was at the celtic end - no segregation then. Although a huge disappointment I saw grown men in suits crying. It was May and the precursor to the the start of an incredible six month period in Hibs history from the start of the new season - July 1972 - culminating in the New Years derby on Jan 1 1973. 70k celtic fans singing beautiful Sunday. We got our revenge later that year on December 9.....
    A tremendous sthock to the young Billyhibs at that time because strange as it may seem against a very good Celtic team who had recently been in the final of the European Cup/Champions League all hibbies expected to win and win comfortably

Looking back we arguably took one of our biggest ever supports to Hampden such was the levels of confidence that day

Eddie Turnbull vowed after the match that we would be back and back we were two months later playing Celtic off the park and leading 3-0 and what did they do? Their age old trick of invading the pitch to disrupt our concentration because they couldnae take a beating fair and square

Justice was done in the end as HIBS ran out 5-3 winners after extra time and HIBS then went on a six month run that I can only describe as a total joy to behold

GGTTH

Edit:

My late Dad used to say to me the only two things guaranteed in life are taxation and HIBS will always let you down