hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Think there will be some more smaller companies going under with the energy issue. The biggest problem is the government price cap, the smaller suppliers tend to buy their energy in smaller batches where as the bigger suppliers buy lots at a time. Due to the crazy hikes in prices the smaller companies cant cope, others will follow suit as the government have already said they won't be changing the price cap so suppliers won't be able to pass on the increase right now to customers

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well ours went bust last week apparently the fourth in recent times, peoples energy we were with them since almost the beginning in 2018, East Lothian couple start up business guaranteeing 75 % of profit returned to customers... Still waiting for a single bean lol

I was with Bulb for a few years then they got taken over by Peoples Energy and it is that company that has now ceased trading. I am now waiting to see who takes me on next, just when I had signed up for a fixed term tariff as well!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    I was with Bulb for a few years then they got taken over by Peoples Energy and it is that company that has now ceased trading. I am now waiting to see who takes me on next, just when I had signed up for a fixed term tariff as well!
    Bulb still exists, I'm one of their 1.7m customers.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    British Gas have taken on the Peoples Energy customers. You should have an email from them. Sit tight until everthing is set up and then look at switching, that's what I'm planning albeit it there may be a limited choice.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton1875 View Post
    British Gas have taken on the Peoples Energy customers. You should have an email from them. Sit tight until everthing is set up and then look at switching, that's what I'm planning albeit it there may be a limited choice.
    At the moment you might be as well staying with British Gas for a bit until everything settles down in a few months. Its doubtful many suppliers will be offering anything much better than the price cap tariff, if they're taking on new customers at all, and even if you were to switch just now there's no guarantee the supplier would last and you wouldn't end up back with British Gas again anyway.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    At the moment you might be as well staying with British Gas for a bit until everything settles down in a few months. Its doubtful many suppliers will be offering anything much better than the price cap tariff, if they're taking on new customers at all, and even if you were to switch just now there's no guarantee the supplier would last and you wouldn't end up back with British Gas again anyway.
    I did a price comparison yesterday and nobody was cheaper than my existing bulb contract.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    Back to the original post - I wonder if we are still due funds from the sponsorship . Unlikely to get it if they are in trouble …wonder if we are looking for a replacement ?

With Utiita as well, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Back to the original post - I wonder if we are still due funds from the sponsorship . Unlikely to get it if they are in trouble …wonder if we are looking for a replacement ?
    You've got to think that even if they were to survive they'd have decisions to make over the cost of sponsorship/advertising weighed against what they gain from it. Don't know if there'd be a way out of the agreement they have with Hibs if they were looking to cut spending at all.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Bulb still exists, I'm one of their 1.7m customers.
    This is weird! I was with Bulb for a few years and about 6 months ago was emailed that they were ceasing to trade and I would be allocated a new provider who turned out to be Peoples Energy. They emailed me about 2 or 3 weeks ago and said the same thing. I haven't heard who will be my new provider. How come I got switched from Bulb to Peoples Energy yet Bulb are still trading?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Always keep an eye on your balance.

I'll always challenge any increase in my direct debit that I think is excessive, and usually owe the power company a small amount in late spring before building up a credit balance by the autumn to get me through most of the winter.
    I do and have done for a while now, I average yearly usage and divide by 12. When in Yorkshire YE raised DDs regularly regardless of challenges from me or usage/prices, Spark did it more recently then went bust 2/3 years ago. Looks like Bulb may go the same way albeit they've been good overall.

This is weird! I was with Bulb for a few years and about 6 months ago was emailed that they were ceasing to trade and I would be allocated a new provider who turned out to be Peoples Energy. They emailed me about 2 or 3 weeks ago and said the same thing. I haven't heard who will be my new provider. How come I got switched from Bulb to Peoples Energy yet Bulb are still trading?
    Could you have been tricked by current provider into their contract?
    Cougars!!!

Did you ever sign up to an auto-transfer service like Look After My Bills? A lot of folk ended up with People's Energy via these kind of companies, without realising what it involved. Bulb are certainly still operating (for now at least) and People's Energy have never been appointed as supplier of last resort for any failed supplier. Either that or you've been scammed.

@hibs.net private member
    Did you ever sign up to an auto-transfer service like Look After My Bills? A lot of folk ended up with People's Energy via these kind of companies, without realising what it involved. Bulb are certainly still operating (for now at least) and People's Energy have never been appointed as supplier of last resort for any failed supplier. Either that or you've been scammed.
    I did sign up to Look after my Bills but they were supposed to ok any changes with me before moving me. If they did move me then they shifted me to a failing company. Not good. Just went onto Bulb website and they offered to provide for me at £30 per month more than I presently pay. I now hear that Peoples Energy customers have been taken on by British Gas so I await my new tariff from them.

I will now leave Look after my Bills and just use the comparison sites in future like I did before.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 23-09-2021 at 09:48 AM.

I did sign up to Look after my Bills but they were supposed to ok any changes with me before moving me. If they did move me then they they shifted me to a failing company. Not good. Just went onto Bulb website and they offered to provide for me at £30 per month more than I presently pay. I now hear that Peoples Energy customers have been taken on by British Gas so I await my new tariff from them.

I will now leave Look after my Bills and just use the comparison sites in future like I did before.
    That's a good idea. From what I've heard of Look After My Bills and these types of company they're not always great at communicating what's happening. A lot of People's Energy complaints were about exactly the situation you've described.

British Gas should be in touch with you in the next week or so to confirm that you're with them, tariff (it will be the price cap tariff), your account number etc. If you were in credit with People's Energy that will transfer over to British Gas. The best thing you can do just now is to take meter readings to make sure the old People's Energy account and the new British Gas account end and start of the right readings.

@hibs.net private member
    That's a good idea. From what I've heard of Look After My Bills and these types of company they're not always great at communicating what's happening. A lot of People's Energy complaints were about exactly the situation you've described.

British Gas should be in touch with you in the next week or so to confirm that you're with them, tariff (it will be the price cap tariff), your account number etc. If you were in credit with People's Energy that will transfer over to British Gas. The best thing you can do just now is to take meter readings to make sure the old People's Energy account and the new British Gas account end and start of the right readings.

Thanks for that. Will take daily meter readings until I know the switch starting date.

Coaching Staff
    I did sign up to Look after my Bills but they were supposed to ok any changes with me before moving me. If they did move me then they shifted me to a failing company. Not good. Just went onto Bulb website and they offered to provide for me at £30 per month more than I presently pay. I now hear that Peoples Energy customers have been taken on by British Gas so I await my new tariff from them.

Looks as if you took your eye off the ball with this one, always pays to check and check again.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    I just tried to check my account with Avro energy after seeing this and the website says they’ve gone out of business, nice of them to tell me!
    I got my welcome pack from Avro on Monday..................

The last three energy companies I signed up with have all gone bust. Looks like I'm a jinx.

I'm going to test the theory by buying some shares in the The Rangers and Hearts.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ve always been someone who regularly switched. However, I always disregarded the smaller names, ones I’d never heard of. That was mainly because of being bullied by a letting agent into going with and staying with Spark Energy who were absolutely awful.

I’m glad I had that philosophy of avoiding smaller providers now.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the British Gas new tariff. I was with PfP Energy which was one of the first to go bust ~2 to 3 weeks ago. I was notified fairly quickly after that British Gas would be taking over the supply, saying that they would put me on a special tariff not available on price comparison websites. Was notified about the tariff a few days ago and the p/kW is ~65% more expensive than what I was on with PfP and the fixed charge is significantly higher too.

The timing of all this is a nightmare for low income families, just before the onset of Winter. Not good at all.

I’ve renewed, about a month ago, with OVO Energy on a 2 year fix.
    Hopefully they are big enough to survive !
    Compared prices with Octupus but forgot about Bulb.

I'm with shell energy and locked in until 2022 currently £95 a month for both and in credit which is a bonus. Obviously that'll change over the winter and probably go up to about £120

@hibs.net private member
    I was with Utility Point who have just gone bust. EDF taking over. They were dreadful the last time I was with them and like a few suppliers got estimates and bills completely wrong. The whole energy sector is a mess imo. It should be so simple, a smart meter that works, simplified tariffs and strong regulation. They screw you when they speculate in their favour and bail out when they think they will lose their stake. It should be nationalised immediately and in Scotland we should move to being fully electric with the vast majority if not all created using renewable sources.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm on a fixed tariff with eon dosnt run out till end of December but my latest bill has went up 16 pound not sure how there allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    I'm on a fixed tariff with eon dosnt run out till end of December but my latest bill has went up 16 pound not sure how there allowed to do that.
    Phone contracts do it so it will be in the terms and conditions no doubt.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Your tariff (i.e. pence per kilowatt hour and daily standing charge) is what is fixed. Your bill or Direct Debit isn't fixed and will fluctuate depending on how much energy you use.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Chief Exec of Utilita was on the news this morning (can't remember which channel) saying he was confident they would ride out the storm and that they had pre-bought in bulk, so were comfortable with their supply prices until the end of the year. He was explaining that the "smaller" companies were pre-purchasing less and tying fixed prices around current rates - model which works well if the price doesn't go through the roof and that the bigger guys were hedging several months in advance. If prices keep rising till Christmas though, could all be a different story.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    I got my welcome pack from Avro on Monday..................

The last three energy companies I signed up with have all gone bust. Looks like I'm a jinx.

I'm going to test the theory by buying some shares in the The Rangers and Hearts.
    Just reading about Avro. Millions in management fees to a company with £100 quid of assets and 3 employees two of who were the owners of Avro. The list went on about lots of other ex facie dodgy deals and basically confirms what my beliefs are. These companies and many other companies that grow quickly aren't that much different from pyramid schemes. It seems "businessmen" who do everything wrong are the ones who make huge sums of money despite their companies failing and taking customers with them. It is the UK all over imo where customers and citizens are the fall guys for whatever money making wheeze the spiffs and rich come up with. Lots will have taken deals with companies that really weren't what they seemed and are now stuck with terrible tariffs while those who owned the companies walk away with millions. There is no such thing as regulation in the UK, companies basically do what they want, and customers and citizens don't really count for anything
    Last edited by wookie70; 25-09-2021 at 10:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Just reading about Avro. Millions in management fees to a company with £100 quid of assets and 3 employees two of who were the owners of Avro. The list went on about lots of other ex facie dodgy deals and basically confirms what my beliefs are. These companies and many other companies that grow quickly aren't that much different from pyramid schemes. It seems "businessmen" who do everything wrong are the ones who make huge sums of money despite their companies failing and taking customers with them. It is the UK all over imo where customers and citizens are the fall guys for whatever money making wheeze the spiffs and rich come up with. Lots will have taken deals with companies that really weren't what they seemed and are now stuck with terrible tariffs while those who owned the companies walk away with millions. There is no such thing as regulation in the UK, companies basically do what they want, and customers and citizens don't really count for anything
    There’s a piece in the times which goes tells you about this today

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    There’s a piece in the times which goes tells you about this today
    Not an unusual story in get rich on the back of other Britain.