hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Hibee_Dave's Avatar

Utilita in trouble?

Amid a number of energy companies going bust just now, I see that Utilita have stopped accepting new customers. If they go pop, do we face another season without a main shirt sponsor and (more importantly) are we then left with a big hole in the budget?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    I doubt it bothers us really. Ron has been very pro-active on getting sponsors in left right and centre. Should have more than enough to compensate

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt it bothers us really. Ron has been very pro-active on getting sponsors in left right and centre. Should have more than enough to compensate
    Well ours went bust last week apparently the fourth in recent times, peoples energy we were with them since almost the beginning in 2018, East Lothian couple start up business guaranteeing 75 % of profit returned to customers... Still waiting for a single bean lol
    Last edited by seanshow; 22-09-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee_Dave View Post
    Amid a number of energy companies going bust just now, I see that Utilita have stopped accepting new customers. If they go pop, do we face another season without a main shirt sponsor and (more importantly) are we then left with a big hole in the budget?
    I dont think too many energy firms are accepting new customers at the moment as they are all busy being forced to accept those whose providers went bust by the government.

Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    Well ours went bust last week apparently the fourth in recent times, peoples energy we were with them since almost the beginning in 2018, East Lothian couple start up business guaranteeing 75 % of profit returned to customers... Still waiting for a single bean lol
    Michael Stewart will sort it out for you

Most energy companies are not currently accepting new customers.

No we'll just get put with British Gas

I'm with Scottish Power they just put the prices up. So annoying.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    You will probably find they have all put prices up. I'm with Bulb, 1.7m customers and none of the others are able to take on that number of customers if they go bust, could be the first nationalised energy company under the tories
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    You will probably find they have all put prices up. I'm with Bulb, 1.7m customers and none of the others are able to take on that number of customers if they go bust, could be the first nationalised energy company under the tories
    They had just reduced it about 3 weeks ago by 30 quid a month.

Thinking do I go on a fixed tariff or ride the storm.
    Cougars!!!

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Bulb are in a financial trouble too and are seeking new investors. I tried to switch to them a few years ago but said they couldn't supply me due to my location. I went to E.on who were quite good but then made a increase so now I'm with Octopus who have been very good so far. I have also been with Hydro-Electric, Scottish Power and Scottish Gas. Bit of a hobby of mine - collecting energy companies.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    I liked the green energy with Bulb, plus I scored with a few £50 bonuses by referring friends and family, but after yet another price hike I decided to switch to Sainsbury's (supplied by E.ON) and got the process started on Monday. I hope Bulb can survive, but it doesn't look good.

They had just reduced it about 3 weeks ago by 30 quid a month.

Thinking do I go on a fixed tariff or ride the storm.
    Was the reduction just for you because your consumption during summer was reduced or was it for every customer. I think that the raise will be for every customer!

Was the reduction just for you because your consumption during summer was reduced or was it for every customer. I think that the raise will be for every customer!
    Just used Martin's Money Tips and I can't get it any cheaper than Bulb.

Just used Martin's Money Tips and I can't get it any cheaper than Bulb.
    Bulb are a variable rate though, so they should be the cheapest at any given moment.
    I went onto a 24 month fixed with octopus in December, from bulb. Was a fiver a month more at first, but I'm quids in now! Best part...the cold callers hang up when I say octopus as they know they can't match it now. Just praying the don't go bust now that having paid a higher fixed rate at first is now paying off

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Same. Especially with how much my gas and electricity has already went up over the last year and a half with my missus now working from home. Our bill has nearly doubled
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Same. Especially with how much my gas and electricity has already went up over the last year and a half with my missus now working from home. Our bill has nearly doubled
    I worked from home and managed to keep it about the same. Had extra from tax savings so lumped that into bill too.

Will look around again when it settles down as not on fixed contract.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I got some smart thermostats for my radiators last year.

They made a huge difference to my bill. I've been working from home for 18 months or whatever and it was good to be able to only heat the room I was in during the winter, not the whole flat.

I don't usually bother with these sort of things, thinking ach it's only a few quid. Well, they saved me a lot more than that. Highly recommend them.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Her employer sholud be paying her £30 or so for working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Her employer sholud be paying her £30 or so for working from home.
    24 quid here in England.
    Cougars!!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    I just tried to check my account with Avro energy after seeing this and the website says they’ve gone out of business, nice of them to tell me!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post

Of course it could affect us. Do you think it’s easy to replace your shirt sponsor mid season?

Saving grace is that the timing is probably quite helpful. I imagine utilita have paid a substantial amount of the sponsorship fee during the summer.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    I just tried to check my account with Avro energy after seeing this and the website says they’ve gone out of business, nice of them to tell me!

Announced today. Cut them some slack, I imagine quite a few people have just lost their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Announced today. Cut them some slack, I imagine quite a few people have just lost their jobs.
    Yep. Imagine emailing every customer to say, you won't be getting any energy from us ever again. 😁

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I’m hardly harassing them by checking my account and posting it on here, I didn’t know they’d only announced it today, the website doesn’t mention any dates.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    I heard a Utilita guy on the radio explaining that the company had pre-paid for gas for this winter to cover their existing customer base, but if they took on more customers they would have to buy more gas and that would be at todays higher rate which they would not be allowed to pass on to new customers.

Every new customer would be a loss to the company, hence freeze on new business.

Something big is going to happen this winter. A business model selling a product thats 200 percent more expensive to buy than your allowed to sell it for doesn't work. Ask hearts or the rangers

I worked from home and managed to keep it about the same. Had extra from tax savings so lumped that into bill too.

Will look around again when it settles down as not on fixed contract.
    With Bulb also, tariff has gone up 3 times this year starting in April. I've tried looking but not much out there better or willing to take you on. My DD is low anyway as i work away alot. So for once im behind due to the lockdowns and being at home for longer tgan normal.

Bulb havent been bad but others in the past have upped the DD continously until i was £500 in credit! (Spark also bust). So im gonna ride this out. There is a max cap they can charge that's not gonna be reviewed til Feb next year. So i cant see there being many options soon as they will all be close to that msx right now.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm with Octopus too and have been with them on and off over the years, I tend to switch around a lot but I think those days may be coming to an end.

Anyway, my idea of central heating is to close the windows. I'll be sitting in my shorts and t-shirt while my wife with have about three jumpers on and hiding under a blanket.

Hope she doesn't twig that I turn the thermostat down on the boiler lol
    Last edited by Irish_Steve; 22-09-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    With Bulb also, tariff has gone up 3 times this year starting in April. I've tried looking but not much out there better or willing to take you on. My DD is low anyway as i work away alot. So for once im behind due to the lockdowns and being at home for longer tgan normal.

Bulb havent been bad but others in the past have upped the DD continously until i was £500 in credit! (Spark also bust). So im gonna ride this out. There is a max cap they can charge that's not gonna be reviewed til Feb next year. So i cant see there being many options soon as they will all be close to that msx right now.
    Always keep an eye on your balance.

I'll always challenge any increase in my direct debit that I think is excessive, and usually owe the power company a small amount in late spring before building up a credit balance by the autumn to get me through most of the winter.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.