hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Seats

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO it's preying on good hibees' love for the club to get something done for nothing. If we were in financial turmoil I'd get it but now? Pay good local tradespeople to do the work if you really care about the community.
    I was down the other week when the cameras were getting installed and had a walk round the exterior of the ground, it was a bloody mess if the truth be known, I had also noted at the European games there was a lot of weeds inside the ground especially along the sides of the astroturf areas.

Other people had noticed this as well and volunteered to help the club sort it. When I retire I would like to help out on a voluntary basis, saving the club a bit of money would help but also it could give people who are at a bit of a loose end something to look forward to, kind of social therapy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Different things altogether. Would you volunteer to help Trump fix up his golf course?
    No, because I can't stand Trump.

If your mate (if you have any) offered to help decorate your house would you refuse because you wanted to pay someone to do it?

@hibs.net private member
    For the record I want to say trump is class, but I wouldn't pay 20 quid a week to go watch him at his golf course.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Different things altogether. Would you volunteer to help Trump fix up his golf course?
    In what world are these two things comparable? One is a local institution that these people care about deeply, as did probably their parents, grandparents and great grandparents. The other is Donald Trumps golf course

one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read on here

@hibs.net private member
    You seem to view Hibs as purely a business. It makes me wonder why you care about the club at all (if you do?)

Many people, myself included, view our club as an important part of our community. Much more than simply a limited company.

Very itelligent input to the debate. You must've been popular at school.
    To be fair calling it Slave Labour is just stupid and adds nothing to any debate.

About as intelligent as calling voluntary work slave labour.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You view Hibs as a similar thing do you?
    Of course not, but would the members there volunteer to help out after forking out their membership fees? I doubt it.

I pay my ST money, buy Merch and donate to HSL to help the club. Now they want my free time too?

First Team Breakthrough
    If slave labour is your thing then crack on. Hibs as a business turn over way more money than I'll ever have and Ron is worth an insane amount too. So if I've got free time to volunteer I'd far rather be using it to help someone who's worse off than I am.
    Not sure what age you are but let me ask you something.

Can you remember the days before the stadiums had undersoil heating ? When we got heavy snow and a game looked like it might get called off the club(s) would call out for volunteers to help clear the pitch. Loads of people would turn out and get the pitch playable. That happened all over Britain.

Would you have answered the call?

Of course not, but would the members there volunteer to help out after forking out their membership fees? I doubt it.

I pay my ST money, buy Merch and donate to HSL to help the club. Now they want my free time too?
    It's VOLUNTARY.

@hibs.net private member

They don’t want your free time . The only want people who wish to get involved . You don’t ..they are fine with that . Have no interest in your time , if you don’t want to give it .

Don’t you realise though that some people will enjoy being involved ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    No, because I can't stand Trump.

If your mate (if you have any) offered to help decorate your house would you refuse because you wanted to pay someone to do it?
    You and Ron clearly go way back then, I apologise.

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar

Put...the...spade...down.
    At Easter Road They Play.....

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    We could sell the lower section of the Famous Five as painted advertising space. Should get a premium price for it as the seats will rarely be covered by humans.

Left by mutual consent!
    Supporter-club collaboration project/volunteering..

No offence to anyone who went along to help but seems a bit cheeky from the club to ask fans to do it for nothing when we do actually have money in the bank and assets for selling in the near future..
    Some people love to volunteer for this sort of thing as they love the club that much that gives them the feeling of being part of the club. Why can't you just accept that there are quite a number of fans who will have volunteered their time to help tidy up the stadium.

It's a good two way piece of work for the club as they get people helping and are making people happy in doing so all through love of the club.

I can't understand any criticism of this.

IMO it's preying on good hibees' love for the club to get something done for nothing. If we were in financial turmoil I'd get it but now? Pay good local tradespeople to do the work if you really care about the community.
    Could be worse could be “praying” on fans to keep the club operating day to day by taking their money (pledges) every month. Volunteering to do some weeding and generally maintenance work and bringing fans closer to the club, a feeling of being far more connected to the club then as long as I can remember can only be a good thing. And if the club save a few Bob in he process then good.

By your logic because Ron had money why doesn’t he just spend it all on Hibs and sign players for millions 🤦*♂️.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieFitbaTeam View Post
    Put...the...spade...down.
    This.

@hibs.net private member
    Supporter-club collaboration project/volunteering..

No offence to anyone who went along to help but seems a bit cheeky from the club to ask fans to do it for nothing when we do actually have money in the bank and assets for selling in the near future..
    I think it’s more about fan iteration with the club. Kieran Power did a great job, as he always does, pulling it together and there were club staff and officials mucking in to, including Ben Kensell, working hard. The outside approaches to the ground are greatly improved too, despite some of that being local authority ground. All to push towards improving the match day experience for all fans, home and away, coming to ER.
    Plenty more still to be done but definitely moving, together, in the right direction

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

You appear to think that a polite request for volunteers is akin to being dragged out your bed by Ron Gordon and his henchmen, screaming and kicking, for a 12 hour shift on a chain gang.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s about as intelligent as comparing fans volunteering to slave Labour. My knowledge of the slave trade isn’t extensive, but I’m pretty sure that none of it was done on a voluntary basis.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    You seem to view Hibs as purely a business. It makes me wonder why you care about the club at all (if you do?)

Many people, myself included, view our club as an important part of our community. Much more than simply a limited company.
    Hibs are my club, and I care about us a lot. But the current PR alley we're being lead down is one of a better business and more investment in the club. But then on the other hand Hibs still want handouts?

Sorry but you can't spend money on big screens one day and then ask for "volunteers" the next.

FFS, some folk are desperate for a moan about anything, ay?.

1. If it came back in the accounts we’d spent a 4 or 5 figure sum on labourers, some folk would moan after a bad result that they’d have done it for free, and money should be spent on the squad.

2. People volunteered, and got a special taste of their club behind the scenes not on matchday. I’d have were it not for work.

3. There have been threads on here, and on Facebook groups about people wanting to do a bit round the stadium to freshen it up. That’s happening now.

Some folk need to step away from their keyboards/turn off their devices and go shout at a cloud, and get their negativity out in a way that doesn’t annoy others.
    Last edited by BegbieHSC; 23-09-2021 at 08:33 AM.

Hibs are my club, and I care about us a lot. But the current PR alley we're being lead down is one of a better business and more investment in the club. But then on the other hand Hibs still want handouts?

Sorry but you can't spend money on big screens one day and then ask for "volunteers" the next.
    Yes. You can actually.

Left by mutual consent!

Yes they can, to get fans to feel even more part of the club. I can't believe anyone would criticise that.

You and Ron clearly go way back then, I apologise.
    Hibernian Football club and I go back a long way and I would be happy to help them in any way I could. Besides, them saving money means they have more money to spend on players so they can provide me and my fellow Hibs fans with a better service.

So, would you refuse your mate's offer of help?

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s about as intelligent as comparing fans volunteering to slave Labour. My knowledge of the slave trade isn’t extensive, but I’m pretty sure that none of it was done on a voluntary basis.
    Perhaps my choice of wording was a tad extreme. But I've made my thoughts clear. Hibs will present this as a community project, hibs class event etc but really it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Robbing good hibs fans to pay for big screens.

This is something that happens at a lot of clubs.

I know a guy who does it at Dunfermline from time to time. Retired guy, absolutely loves his club so it is no hardship whatsoever for him to get involved. It is good for him too.

So far from anything resembling slave labour it's unreal...

Left by mutual consent!
    Perhaps my choice of wording was a tad extreme. But I've made my thoughts clear. Hibs will present this as a community project, hibs class event etc but really it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Robbing good hibs fans to pay for big screens.
    Behave. That's outrageous. Fans volunteering seems to have really annoyed you, I don't think it's something to post about.

@hibs.net private member

I think you’ll find that this initiative didn’t come from the club, it came from fans, on boards like this, discussing how the covid break had allowed the approaches and interiors of the ground to become tired and in need of TLC. Because the club picked up on that good intention is hardly something to criticise.
    Lots to do and definitely can’t be finished before Sunday so
    I don’t want you starting up a chant:

“Where the f*** is
    Where the f*** is
    Where the f***’s our F ‘n’ C” 🤣

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    You seem to be the only person that thinks of it that way. Hibs are responding to repeated offers from fans to get involved in the upkeep of the stadium, we take pride in our club and want to do everything we can to improve things in any way we can. What you’re doing with your comments is making out that fans are being exploited and that couldn’t be further from the truth.

United we stand here....