hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Mcginn

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Mcginn

Surprised there’s no thread yet. Guess I’ll start it.

Superb goal today great finish but FFS son STOP THE CROSS. It’s school boy stuff. He always seems yards away from the guy crossing the ball.

Yet another goal conceded from a cross coming from the right hand side and it isn’t just a coincidence anymore.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thought we were very poor today. And we have a serious problem stopping crosses coming in. If you stop the cross you stop the goal and at worst put it out for a corner and a chance to organise. Happens every week. Really does my head in.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I wonder what are stats are for crosses against us when compared to other spl teams

I'm not particulary in the camp that it's predominately our full backs fault - or Mcginns as it seems fashionable - wingers will get crosses in it's the nature of the game

We definately need to defend them better when they come in though

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    One guy behind me yesterday slated him from the moment he sat down in the stand, called him cafu the whole game, was so glad he scored as it made the guy look like a twat, mcginn is far from perfect but why spend the whole game slating players

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One guy behind me yesterday slated him from the moment he sat down in the stand, called him cafu the whole game, was so glad he scored as it made the guy look like a twat, mcginn is far from perfect but why spend the whole game slating players
    Or start new threads to do it when there's already dozens of posts elsewhere?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Thought he was much better last wek and this week however no doubt that he should try much harder at stopping crosses going into the box. Defending in the box plus goalie could do better also.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought he was much better last wek and this week however no doubt that he should try much harder at stopping crosses going into the box. Defending in the box plus goalie could do better also.
    For me it’s an instinct thing Jim. If you watch Paul he’ll continually stand off the man in possession, rather than have that instinct to commit to the tackle or get tight - to compensate (I think) for his lack of pace. By that I mean he’ll instinctively give himself a few yards in order to allow the player a decision and give himself time to reposition. Willie Miller is right, defending and tackling is an art, I just wish Paul would get tighter to the ball carrier and use his body more to prevent the cross. I don’t like being so critical of any player but he’s been terrible this season for me.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    For me it’s an instinct thing Jim. If you watch Paul he’ll continually stand off the man in possession, rather than have that instinct to commit to the tackle or get tight - to compensate (I think) for his lack of pace. By that I mean he’ll instinctively give himself a few yards in order to allow the player a decision and give himself time to reposition. Willie Miller is right, defending and tackling is an art, I just wish Paul would get tighter to the ball carrier and use his body more to prevent the cross. I don’t like being so critical of any player but he’s been terrible this season for me.
    Think you are probably right re compensating re lack of pace. He definitely should be more aggressive in trying to stop the cross. Had a perfect view of the Rijeka goal at ER and the wide guy didn't need to do anything more than move the ball and swing it in with little or no effort to stop it. Same again yesterday. Needs to do better in that area.

I think the fact McGinn doesn't close down quick enough, allows the players to get better crosses in, close the space and the crosses are rushed and not as good, basic defending.

Does Paul McGinn lack pace? I’ve never noticed, in fact I’d say the opposite was probably true.

I’m wondering about his positional discipline, although I’m wondering about tactical instruction as well. I actually noticed it happen once in the Scotland game as well - left winger in acres of space out left, McGinn tucked in in no man’s land with a bit of catching up to do when the ball gets moved out right.

Whatever it is - it’s costing us goals and points and needs to stop.

I don’t like criticising him as he’s been a class act for us, as he was again yesterday until that point.

The thing that pisses me off most about him is when he lets the ball roll under his foot and out of play, which he’s done a few times this season and did again yesterday.
    Last edited by Smartie; 19-09-2021 at 09:11 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Does Paul McGinn lack pace? I’ve never noticed, in fact I’d say the opposite was probably true.

I’m wondering about his positional discipline, although I’m wondering about tactical instruction as well. I actually noticed it happen once in the Scotland game as well - left winger in acres of space out left, McGinn tucked in in no man’s land with a bit of catching up to do when the ball gets moved out right.

I don’t like criticising him as he’s been a class act for us, as he was again yesterday until that point.

The thing that pisses me off most about him is when he lets the ball roll under his foot and out of play, which he’s done a few times this season and did again yesterday.
    I think he does better on the right of a back 3 than he does as a full back

@hibs.net private member
    Tidy finish though

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BH1875 View Post
    Thought we were very poor today. And we have a serious problem stopping crosses coming in. If you stop the cross you stop the goal and at worst put it out for a corner and a chance to organise. Happens every week. Really does my head in.
    I thought he was our best player over the 90mins but that says a lot about our performance yesterday. He is a 7 out of 10 most weeks and chipped in with a goal yesterday. He won a few battles however possibly could have got out quicker to stop the cross.

I suppose every team in football would ideally like to stop the cross but never works out like that. If you can’t stop the crosses, then you need to be able to handle the ball in to the box. At the moment we are struggling with both.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but could we have sacrificed Magennis for last 10 mins and sent on McGregor or Woods to ensure we seen the game out? Everyone at game could see the equaliser was coming.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

In an early interview when he was asked what his strengths were he said probably his pace was his best attribute. Remember it clearly.