hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squad depth

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure 2 wouldn't work better though.

Boyle was supposedly playing in the position he plays best, but he was also pretty poor yesterday.

Nisbet doesn't look like he suits the middle of the 3 to me at all.

We've got away with it so far this season (mainly, I think, because it has got Magennis into a position that really suits him) but I'm not convinced exactly the same personnel in a 352 wouldn't have been much better yesterday - Boyle up front, Cadden RWB.
    Has a team actually been better than us in any league match this season? Don't think we've got away with anything. 1 up front suits us. Shoe Horning Cadden in yesterday was a mistake.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Has a team actually been better than us in any league match this season? Don't think we've got away with anything. 1 up front suits us. Shoe Horning Cadden in yesterday was a mistake.
    I've not really felt like we've been comprehensively outplaying anyone though, maybe other than Ross County. We've had spells, they've had spells. St Mirren probably edged yesterday's match for me - we were excellent for 20 minutes after HT and decent enough for 20 at the start of the match, the rest of the time they were well on top.

And all the teams we've played have been bottom 6 fodder, apart possibly from recently promoted Hearts.

Cadden wasn't really shoehorned in yesterday, he's a versatile player who can play where he was selected yesterday, although I'm not convinced by him on the left.

We play quite a few players in positions and formations that I'm just not convinced by them in tbh.

I've not really felt like we've been comprehensively outplaying anyone though, maybe other than Ross County. We've had spells, they've had spells. St Mirren probably edged yesterday's match for me - we were excellent for 20 minutes after HT and decent enough for 20 at the start of the match, the rest of the time they were well on top. And all the teams we've played have been bottom 6 fodder, apart possibly from recently promoted Hearts. Cadden wasn't really shoehorned in yesterday, he's a versatile player who can play where he was selected yesterday, although I'm not convinced by him on the left. We play quite a few players in positions and formations that I'm just not convinced by them in tbh.
    He was shoehorned in, without doubt. He started on the right, putting Boyle, in the form of his life, into a position he has never done well from on the left. Then after about 20 minutes they switched and Cadden never touched the ball until being subbed. We certainly outplayed Livi and County (which look like very good results after yesterday). And had the best of it vs Motherwell. Our 3 draws could've gone either way, and the Dundee one especially we were down to the bare bones a bit so thats understandable. We're very close to being a very good side. Injuries to Murphy and Doidge have really hurt us, as we've had to use players out of position to cover for them. One thing is for sure, Boyle is playing the best stuff of his career, and shouldn't be getting moved anywhere to fit anyone else in. I think 4231 is by far the best way to go for now, and suits our squad the best overall when everyone is fit.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He was shoehorned in, without doubt. He started on the right, putting Boyle, in the form of his life, into a position he has never done well from on the left. Then after about 20 minutes they switched and Cadden never touched the ball until being subbed. We certainly outplayed Livi and County (which look like very good results after yesterday). And had the best of it vs Motherwell. Our 3 draws could've gone either way, and the Dundee one especially we were down to the bare bones a bit so thats understandable. We're very close to being a very good side. Injuries to Murphy and Doidge have really hurt us, as we've had to use players out of position to cover for them. One thing is for sure, Boyle is playing the best stuff of his career, and shouldn't be getting moved anywhere to fit anyone else in. I think 4231 is by far the best way to go for now, and suits our squad the best overall when everyone is fit.
    I agree that prior to yesterday Boyle was in good form but even when put back into his best position I thought he was poor yesterday (excellent penalty aside).

Cadden had done well against Hearts but when he started on the right yesterday he seemed to want to play deeper than the role required. He was also pretty awful yesterday.

Nisbet struggles as the lone striker/ central striker in a 3.

I don't think it would have done Nisbet any harm to have Boyle up front beside him. Boyle gets criticism for not being a striker but I quite like him as a central striker. Cadden could then play RWB, McGinn RCB, Doig LWB. It's a tweak on yesterday's formation rather than a radical departure but I thought it might have worked better,

I also thought at the time that the team picked should have worked better than it did, on paper it sort of made sense.

I agree about Murphy and Doidge - both are huge misses for us.

I agree that prior to yesterday Boyle was in good form but even when put back into his best position I thought he was poor yesterday (excellent penalty aside). Cadden had done well against Hearts but when he started on the right yesterday he seemed to want to play deeper than the role required. He was also pretty awful yesterday. Nisbet struggles as the lone striker/ central striker in a 3. I don't think it would have done Nisbet any harm to have Boyle up front beside him. Boyle gets criticism for not being a striker but I quite like him as a central striker. Cadden could then play RWB, McGinn RCB, Doig LWB. It's a tweak on yesterday's formation rather than a radical departure but I thought it might have worked better, I also thought at the time that the team picked should have worked better than it did, on paper it sort of made sense. I agree about Murphy and Doidge - both are huge misses for us.
    I actually think Kev done well yesterday, and just absolutely nothing fell for him. Done well on the ball, although had a few terrible touches. Few goalbound shots blocked at the very last second etc. I think Kevin is fine as a loan striker, and will only improve. Boyle as a central striker may have worked yesterday, because St Mirren played so high, but it can also just make him totally anonymous. I think the play was Cadden right back yesterday, really try to box Saints in. Boyle on right wing shouldn't change. A front 3 of Gullan, Nisbet and Boyle was probably the way to go, but Ross is very much against using Gullan ever it seems. I just hate the idea of moving players out of position, rather than playing a maybe lesser player in his best position. Cadden just isn't a better option on the left of the 3 than Gullan.