hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think not getting to the group stages of the European conference league and not shifting Doig put a big dent in Ron's plans given the lost revenue. The old Hibs would just say bad luck and just carry on. Not the US way. Ron would have carried out and an inquiry and found out out what needs to done to not let it happen again. US businesses are more performance and results driven.
    What we've all wanted for a long time from the club... Ambition!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcastlehibby View Post
    Indeed. About 94 miles straight up the A1. A bit less than 2 hours driving time.

I imagine he lives in one of the very expensive estates near Morpeth like Tranwell Woods or similar.
    2 hours in the summer, try it in the winter!!

Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    Did Ron really think we would make the group stages? If he was looking at that from a budget vs budget perspective, he'd be quite pragmatic I'm sure that making the group stages was a massive ask for any non OF Scottish team.
    We got close enough to matching Rijeka, and it was ultimately the failure to provide Jack Ross with adequate squad depth for the Rijeka game that led to our failure.

It remains to be seen what the failure to add the required attacking depth to the squad might cost us.

I'm far from convinced axing Mathie is the answer as he has a decent amount of credit in the bank with us, but if Ron Gordon is serious about kicking us on a level, he might not be in the mood to accept any sort of perceived failures - and the failure to provide Jack Ross with the squad he needs is certainly a failure, even if he's done fairly well so far with what he's got domestically so far this season.

I don't buy that "European success" is a pipe dream. It's a massive opportunity to bring serious levels of income into the club (see what it has done for Rangers) and we already have the core of a really good squad who should be capable of reaching some sort of group stage. I'd be delighted if Ron Gordon was absolutely serious about the opportunity that lies there.
    Last edited by Smartie; 16-09-2021 at 09:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I find these threads infuriating. No one on here has got a clue what happened on transfer deadline day, but some will use speculation to twist things to suit their agenda. We have some quoting stories in the papers to back up their views, but in the past they’d rubbish the same sources because “it’s the sun” I’ve not got a clue if our transfer window went to plan or not, but the fact that we’ve not tried to sign one of the many out of contract players on a short term deal suggests the manager is relatively happy with what he’s got.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think if you look at the transition of staff and the evidence of what the new staff have delivered, all Ron is doing is getting in people to deliver more/better than the folk who handed them the baton.

That’s not to say that the people leaving where ineffective or poor at their jobs, the observation I have is that previously we were like a Sunday driver - going along nicely in a nice wee car getting to where we wanted to be.

Now, Ron’s brought in a faster driver, got someone who knows how to tweak the engine to get more horsepower out of it, a navigator that knows the quickest route, and a driver who can get more out of the car.

Commercially, we are on another level from as recently as two years ago - look at the sheer number of partnerships/sponsorships we’re getting. The stadium is being revamped with big screens, better food kiosks, a better hospitality offering. The media team are producing consistently better content, the recruitment team are delivering better players, the manager is producing better, more consistent results.

There’s no mask slipping - the evidence is tangible and right in front of us. The club is going places, and the changing of the guard is part of that process - good Hibs people have left and will leave and the remit of the people replacing them is to push the club on. It’s happening.
    I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. Folk have been going mad at fellow fans for daring to query Mathie and talking about what a great job he's done.

Now Ron wants him out and we don't know why or who will replace him. And the same fans are now perfectly happy with that?

What if Ross is the next one to go in order to take us to the next level?

I like Ron btw.
    Last edited by neil7908; 16-09-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I find these threads infuriating. No one on here has got a clue what happened on transfer deadline day, but some will use speculation to twist things to suit their agenda. We have some quoting stories in the papers to back up their views, but in the past they’d rubbish the same sources because “it’s the sun” I’ve not got a clue if our transfer window went to plan or not, but the fact that we’ve not tried to sign one of the many out of contract players on a short term deal suggests the manager is relatively happy with what he’s got.
    Here you, don't be printing sensible stuff on here, bringing the place down you are.....

"Relatively".

Do you seriously think though, that Jack Ross was happy going into the games with Rijeka and Hearts with what he had on the bench to change the game? His job and reputation are on the line and whilst he's probably got enough to beat most of the weaker teams in our league, he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing if certain events transpire during these games. It didn't happen against Hearts and we got a result there, it did against Rijeka and we suffered.

I doubt Jack Ross is happy about that situation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    "Relatively".

Do you seriously think though, that Jack Ross was happy going into the games with Rijeka and Hearts with what he had on the bench to change the game? His job and reputation are on the line and whilst he's probably got enough to beat most of the weaker teams in our league, he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing if certain events transpire during these games. It didn't happen against Hearts and we got a result there, it did against Rijeka and we suffered.

I doubt Jack Ross is happy about that situation at all.
    We were looking the most likely team to win the game against Rijeka until Daz was sent off, we got a decent away draw at tynie. Jack Ross said many times last season he wanted a smaller squad with higher quality, we’ve added to that this season, but we’ve had to deal with injuries. His job and reputation up to this point has only been enhanced by our recruitment, he’s been pretty much the only manager outside the old firm who has been able to pay transfer fees. If he’s not happy with how things are going right now he never will be.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 16-09-2021 at 10:15 PM.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Here you, don't be printing sensible stuff on here, bringing the place down you are.....
    I do apologise

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    😀😀👍

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...rector-3386320No money inMcGrath McCrorieBarrie McKay McCartGriffiths Are they the reasons? The press reported we made a mistake with the paperwork regarding McGrath instead of running out of time. Was it Mathie mistake and a big/amateur one at that?Unless the post is nonsense then it seems a few posters were correct.
    That article is full of "the Evening News understands" and "it is believed"No facts, no quotes just dressed up opinion.Not getting money in the tranfer of Doig could be an issue given it probably put the mockers on our budget for transfers in. As for the potential player signings you mention. McCrorie will have failed because Aberdeen offered higher wages which Hibs wouldn't match. McCart will have failed because St Johnstone wanted more money than Hibs were willing to offer. McKay I don't think we really wanted him badly enough to outbid Hearts on a contract, Re Griffiths, I don't think Hibs were interested, McGrath was going to Middlesboro until an hour before the window closed and Hibs tried to jump in with a complicated deal that would have taken two squad players off our wage bill as well as adding a player we wanted badly. Due to the complicated nature of it the deal ran out of time before it could be completed. I can't see how Mathie can be blamed for any of these deals not getting over the line given the circumstances. As for another striker, we weren't going to find another Nisbet type diamond for £200k between Doidge being injured and the closing of the window.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    If the lack of transfer in activity was down to GM then he had carte blache on fee and wages - really?

I'm also struggling to understand why not getting a £5M fee for Doig is where the buck stops. That had to come from much higher up.

If he cocked up on the last day fair do's but not getting targets over the line in previous windows has to involve the manager and the Chair\CEO. Either we were not offering enough or we were nof prepared to sacrifice existing players.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Spot on. Some should be embarrassed. We are talking about a guy who has served our club extremely well whilst we had threads begging to sign players who are the last thing we need.

How do you know we haven’t tried to sign an out of contract player?

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    I don’t believe there was a positive working relationship between Ross and Mathie and clearly with an extended contract Ron is backing the manager

I don’t think the issue with Mathie has been so much the calibre of players that have been brought in, rather the players we failed to land and the resulting imbalance in the first team squad

The final straw probably being the rather shambolic last few days of the transfer window.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We got close enough to matching Rijeka, and it was ultimately the failure to provide Jack Ross with adequate squad depth for the Rijeka game that led to our failure.

It remains to be seen what the failure to add the required attacking depth to the squad might cost us.

I'm far from convinced axing Mathie is the answer as he has a decent amount of credit in the bank with us, but if Ron Gordon is serious about kicking us on a level, he might not be in the mood to accept any sort of perceived failures - and the failure to provide Jack Ross with the squad he needs is certainly a failure, even if he's done fairly well so far with what he's got domestically so far this season.

I don't buy that "European success" is a pipe dream. It's a massive opportunity to bring serious levels of income into the club (see what it has done for Rangers) and we already have the core of a really good squad who should be capable of reaching some sort of group stage. I'd be delighted if Ron Gordon was absolutely serious about the opportunity that lies there.
    I'm not saying it's a pipe dream, I'm saying this season was probably a bridge too far, and I believe Ron will have been smart enough to know that. Even if we had made it past Rijeka (which would have been a massive result looking at their wage bill v ours) the next round would have been an even bigger challenge.

The number of sponsorship deals we are doing right now is clearly designed to boost the budget, so maybe next year we'll be in a stronger position to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Not overly surprised. Our failure to fix the striker issue for the last three windows is bound to have consequences.
    Kevin Nisbet was signed 3 transfer windows ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Kevin Nisbet was signed 3 transfer windows ago?
    We have been very lucky with injuries thought this season it’s caught up on us IMO. We still effectively have 2 main strikers doidge and Nizzy Scott and Boyle are more suited wide IMO Gullan no point even mentioning him as doesn’t get a game

Imagine the day we can have a top class striker just sitting on the bench of the off chance.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Imagine the day we can have a top class striker just sitting on the bench of the off chance.
    Most teams do...

Griffiths off the bench at Tynecastle would have been an unreal option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Most teams do...

He’s at Dundee. And not shining. We’ve moved on thankfully.

Coaching Staff
    While others have offered their particular reason for this change, could it be just one of several we will see in the next few months?

When any new CEO takes up the post, generally the first thing s/he does is look at the organisation and has a restructure of some sort.

Is it just a coincidence that this news comes through just after the appointment of a new CEO?

On a personal note I exchanged emails with Graham a few times, and I found him to be both polite and professional.

If you are reading this Graham thanks for your efforts in the past, and good luck for the future.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Most teams do...

No they don’t.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Doesn’t need to be top class.

Just someone of sufficient ability that the manager can trust him to do a job.

Ross appears to go out of his way not to use certain players within our first team squad and that impacts on his ability to control a game.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. Folk have been going mad at fellow fans for daring to query Mathie and talking about what a great job he's done.

Now Ron wants him out and we don't know why or who will replace him. And the same fans are now perfectly happy with that?

What if Ross is the next one to go in order to take us to the next level?

I like Ron btw.
    Are they the same fans that are perfectly happy with it?

I am a big fan of Mathie’s, I’ve spoken to him at length before and exchanged messages with him and he’s always been first class, coming across as very competent, knowledgable, enthusiastic etc and I had no desire to see him move on from the club whatsoever. I trusted him and believed in what he was doing.

I can also see the progress the club is making and accept, as part of that progress, that change is a necessary evil and so the question i ask myself when considering whether or not to be worried about this change, is “what evidence do I have that I should be worried versus the evidence i have to be confident that the change is needed?” and I think if you look at what the club is producing now compared to pre-Ron Gordon then i think there’s far more reassuring evidence than troublesome.

I hope we keep Jack Ross for a long time, a) because i think he’s a talented and impressive manager, and b) because if he’s here a long time it’s because we’re doing well.

If it ceases to be the case that the manager is meeting expectations then, as is normal in football, I’d expect we’d change manager at some point.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I like GM a lot. I've been lucky enough to speak to him several times and he's a knowledgeable, interesting and passionate guy. I'm sad to see him go both on a personal level because it's not nice to see anyone lose their job (if that is indeed what has happened) and as a fan because I think he has done a good job for the most part.

Something has instigated the move though. Be that 1 particular thing or a culmination of several smaller things. I did sense a growing frustration from the manager as the transfer window dragged on, it was something I hadn't seen before from him as he became quite vocal about his needs and his concerns meeting those needs hadn't happened. Of course Jack Ross understands the constraints Hibs work under and he knows why deals don't happen but there was evident frustration all the same. I didn't completely buy the narrative we were totally delighted with our transfer dealings in the summer albeit there was no immediate need to make panic free agent signings for the sake of it either.

I don't suppose we will ever truly know the reason for this decision albeit plenty rumour and bull**** will stick. I'm not massively concerned though. Whether we like it or not Hibs are a corporate environment now and have been for some time and in such environments key people move on and are replaced all the time. As I said earlier in the thread there is risk involved but there is also opportunity.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

At least Rod knew the value of keeping good people at the club.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    Aye because thats a good way to run a business, keep them in a job because they are good people even if they arent doing their job very well(not suggesting GM wasnt as i dont know)

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    When Rod was running things we changed manager every 18 months and nearly all the football dept staff along with him.

And we underachieved for the majority of the time he was in charge