hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Graeme Mathie Away?

Apparently Ron Gordon wants to install a new team instead and Mathie is set to leave.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...x=1631804721-1

2. Log in to remove the advert

Interesting! Don’t know if our performance on deadline day has anything to do with it, but it’s probably not fair to speculate.

Thanks for everything, Graham, and good luck!!

Could be a huge blow if that’s true. Having a consistent Sporting/Recruitment director is something that’s set us a part from a lot of other clubs.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could be a huge blow if that’s true. Having a consistent Sporting/Recruitment director is something that’s set us a part from a lot of other clubs.
    Consistently *****?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Consistently *****?
    ?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    ?

Heres a clue, poo.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

He messed up signings on deadline day, and if Ron was already considering getting rid then I can imagine that may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’m not sure how much this would have to do with Mathie but I wonder if this is anything to do with our lack of players coming through the youth system? Since he’s come in we’ve only really brought through Porteous with Doig and Cummings coming in really late on in that system having developed elsewhere.

Might be that Ron wants to see someone come in and improve that side of things?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 16-09-2021 at 03:26 PM.

That will please the folk having a go at him over the last few weeks.

All the best if you do go Graeme.
    Last edited by Since452; 16-09-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Overall our recruitment in recent years has been excellent, even if our summer just gone was a bit disappointing.

I’d have expected Mathie to have had to answer a few questions about the summer, maybe his answers were unconvincing?

Again, I think we’re in “careful what you wish for” territory here. Does a bad summer (and one with mitigating factors, such as the non departure of key players) mean that we remodel something that has worked very well for us for a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Heres a clue, poo.
    That’s not the bit I was confused by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Consistently *****?
    Open the door to the room and in rolls the empty barrel.....

Recruited excellent players for Hibs. Its scary how much better we've been at transfers in the last 7 years, than the 7 before that. Anyone saying he was ***** is talking rubbish.

I wish him all the best if he goes.

But at the same time if Ron Gordon has allocated more funds to improve the squad than is being used and IF his manager is coming to him saying he hasn't had the right amount of players in or the right type of players he's asked for then there's going to be an issue needing addressed.

Not overly surprised. Our failure to fix the striker issue for the last three windows is bound to have consequences.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Not sure what to make of this one really. But if the new appointment is of the same quality (on paper anyway) as the new CEO I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about.

Six/seven years is a long time as well and probably due a change in the role.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I’ve a lot of time for Graeme - represented the club well, improved our recruitment no end, brought in an excellent manager, put the player pathways into place etc.

I think the nature of the ambition at the club now means that jobs across the club will be scrutinised and, where someone who is available that’s considered a better option of available, we’ll try to get them.

I think Mathie will rightly have a huge amount to be proud of from his time at the club.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Not sure what to make of this one really. But if the new appointment is of the same quality (on paper anyway) as the new CEO I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about.

Six/seven years is a long time as well and probably due a change in the role.
    Is he not fairly new to this role, having replaced George Craig when he retired?

Mathie was doing something different before.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is he not fairly new to this role, having replaced George Craig when he retired?

Mathie was doing something different before.
    Very good point actually. Forgot about that.

Think on the whole Graham has done a great job and even if the last deadline day was a bit of a damp squib you'd think he'd have enoigh credit in the bank to continue for a while.

Interesting to see how this develops.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Recruited excellent players for Hibs. Its scary how much better we've been at transfers in the last 7 years, than the 7 before that. Anyone saying he was ***** is talking rubbish.
    Malonga
    Boyle
    Mcgeough
    Fyvie
    SDG
    Scott Allan
    Fontaine
    Logan
    Stokes
    Gunnarsson
    Henderson
    McGregor
    Bartley
    SJM
    Ambrose
    Marciano
    Barker
    Kamberi
    Horgan
    McNulty
    Omeonga
    Mallan
    Doidge
    Newell
    Paul Mcginn
    Nisbet
    Magennis
    Cadden
    Murphy
    Irvine
    Doyle-Hayes
    Mueller (?)

Are all signings I would say were good to great for us.

Was he involved in all of them? Probably not but if you look at the signings before he came in it’s frightening.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Think he’s done a really good job over the years

Wonder if RG’s just looking to get his own man in or if GM’s part in our transfer scramble towards the end of the window has pee’d Ron off

He’s obviously done a good job overall I’d say based on our recruitment and the quality of it over the last few years but at times it seemed really slow and ponderous. Over a year to replace Bartley/Milligan, still no 3rd striker and at times an inbalanced squad, no doubt partly down to the managers at the time (Lennon/Hecky). Lack of youth coming through also.

Perhaps out summer window has contributed to this. If he goes then we could certainly do a lot worse and his replacement must be absolutely spot on.

Like someone else said I think it was George Craig doing the recruitment before. If Ron wants his own people in then fair enough. He's given me no reason to doubt him.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Like someone else said I think it was George Craig doing the recruitment before. If Ron wants his own people in then fair enough. He's given me no reason to doubt him.
    Definitely not. If the appointment of our new CEO is anything to go by I think we can be excited to see who he brings in

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    He’s obviously done a good job overall I’d say based on our recruitment and the quality of it over the last few years but at times it seemed really slow and ponderous. Over a year to replace Bartley/Milligan, still no 3rd striker and at times an inbalanced squad, no doubt partly down to the managers at the time (Lennon/Hecky). Lack of youth coming through also.

Perhaps out summer window has contributed to this. If he goes then we could certainly do a lot worse and his replacement must be absolutely spot on.
    I agree that we’ve occasionally been slow and there has sometimes been an air of “perfect being the enemy of good” about certain situations ie we’ve held out for excellent players and ended up with none, when it was imperative that we got someone in.

Do we believe that the striker/ forward equivalent of Paul McGinn doesn’t exist out there? Are we better off having no middle to front option that Jack Ross requested, rather than someone in their late twenties / early thirties who might provide valuable competition for places for us up front but have no sell-on value?

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quite disappointed if Mathie is away but will wait and see what is brought to the table. I wonder if this means there will be a restructuring or just a direct replacement?

If it’s a replacement hopefully it is carried out a lot quicker than the CEO position so they can get their feet under the table and hit the ground running in the January window.

Mathie is a decent bloke and very easy and open to talk to when I was last at EM. He was head of scouting when Craig was here and took over when he left, I have no clue if he was good at his job because I don't know the ins and outs of transfers. We've brought in some good players but there are still a few poor signings here and there, maybe Ron wants someone who's a bit more bullish in the transfer market, someone to get the signings done.
    As far as the youth players coming through, is that not Eddie May's job, he's head of that department.

@hibs.net private member
    Much will depend on who is brought in but I will be sad to see anyone goes that is connected with recruitment at ER. It hasn't been perfect but our hit rate was been very good over the last 7 or so years and far more successes than failure. Apart from teh time with Lennon(which still provided some good signings) we appear to be working to a plan of quality over quantity and sell on opportunity. The squad age is very good as is its sell on value so well done to all involved and good luck to Graham in the future. Seems incredibly unfair to blame Graham for the lack of a striker. He could have put forward a number of names and Ron wouldn't sign the cheque, To me there is plenty evidence to suggest Ron and the recruitment team are doing a good job and hopefully Graham's replacement comes in and takes that to an even higher level.

Unless he’s off to Celtic…

Total speculation from me but I think he was tasked with getting some cash in during the summer but couldn’t get a deal done. Particularly with Doig, I felt at the time like he was actively trying to sell him. Then, he couldn’t get deals done for players we wanted in the door.