hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if you look at the transition of staff and the evidence of what the new staff have delivered, all Ron is doing is getting in people to deliver more/better than the folk who handed them the baton.

That’s not to say that the people leaving where ineffective or poor at their jobs, the observation I have is that previously we were like a Sunday driver - going along nicely in a nice wee car getting to where we wanted to be.

Now, Ron’s brought in a faster driver, got someone who knows how to tweak the engine to get more horsepower out of it, a navigator that knows the quickest route, and a driver who can get more out of the car.

Commercially, we are on another level from as recently as two years ago - look at the sheer number of partnerships/sponsorships we’re getting. The stadium is being revamped with big screens, better food kiosks, a better hospitality offering. The media team are producing consistently better content, the recruitment team are delivering better players, the manager is producing better, more consistent results.

There’s no mask slipping - the evidence is tangible and right in front of us. The club is going places, and the changing of the guard is part of that process - good Hibs people have left and will leave and the remit of the people replacing them is to push the club on. It’s happening.
    Agree with this.

First Dempster, now Mathie, exciting times for the club ahead.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Did you believe his Ron the Con stuff?
    I was more talking in general.

I couldn’t be further from believing the Ron the con stuff.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Jack Ross commutes from Sunderland.
    Really??? That's madness.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    A huge blow? Is that not a bit dramatic?
    A huge opportunity for the club more like.
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 16-09-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I was more talking in general.

I couldn’t be further from believing the Ron the con stuff.
    In general there are posters (sources) who have shown they can be trusted.

There are others who come out with Ron the Con stuff.

After reading all the posts so far, the general consensus is that Mathie did a great job at Hibs. I agree with this.

Up until now we have been operating with a structure that was put in place by Dempster. My feeling is that due to the relative success Mathie had, his influence at the club became greater as the years went on. It is no coincidence that Mathie has gone not long after Dempster left. Ross in some ways has been hung out to dry at recent press conferences and had to explain the lack of signings. It was embarrassing for Ross to withdraw Doig from a match day squad last month and advise jurnos that a move was imminent. This must have been at the instruction of Mathie because there was a fear Doig may get injured, only for Ross to re-instate Doig the following week. No one on here can prove it but I detect there has been friction between Ross and Mathie for some time.

Much as Mathie came in for criticism in the last window I feel his hands are tied somewhat due to the what Hibs are able to spend. Going forward we will find it more difficult to attract players that our immediate rivals, Aberdeen and Hearts may want. Both these clubs either have owners willing to spend more of their own money, for example Aberdeen or have a benefactor like Hearts willing to throw money away. Hearts have wasted millions in the last 4-5 years. Most people would have run a mile after the burning the money Hearts have but their benefactor has deep pockets and is not going away.

Hibs, with Mathie, have been very smart in the transfer market. This has been proved by consistent top 4 finishes and numerous appearances at Hampden in cup competitions.

Time will tell who replaces Mathie, but my gut feeling is that he is going to be a big loss.We are going to find out in the next year, after a couple of transfer windows, how much of a loss he is.

In general there are posters (sources) who have shown they can be trusted.

There are others who come out with Ron the Con stuff.
    Yup. But at the time there was numerous posters saying they’d heard the same thing, it wasn’t just one poster and they weren’t all Ron the Con guys.

For numerous people to hear the exact same thing and then Mathie to be binned two weeks later would suggest there was substance to it to me. It might not be the sole reason for his departure but it looks like it could be part of the reason.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 16-09-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Lovely place. Not sure I’d like that commute everyday though
    Pretty straightforward up to East Mains from there to be fair. Probably took me longer to get to my work this morning!

Interesting what the actual reason is for him leaving.

Simon Ferry has often heavily praised him and said that he’s very good at the job he does. He’s also been part of the massive turnaround the club has had since getting relegated with our recruitment being much much better.

Maybe Ron thinks we should be doing even better? I.e getting McGrath and McCart in earlier, or Doig leaving which Ross more or less said in the press only for it not to come to fruitition?

As exciting as it is potentially getting a better replacement there’s also that fear for me as I do think Mathie is good and would be hard to replace.

Players from abroad sound all well and good but we’ve seen countless come over and struggle.

It’s a huge risk but if Ron is comfortable with it then fair enough.

I wonder what say if any Jack Ross has in it? Might not sit well with him if they’ve a good relationship and he has confidence Mathie will get his targets in? On the flip side maybe Ross has complained about the lack of business and expressed frustration?

I’d imagine Ron would keep him in the loop and wants his opinion.

Maybe Kensall has came in and thinks we’re a shambles and capable of more?

Fwiw I’ve always really liked Mathie and been impressed with him when he speaks. His most recent interview was fantastic IMO and it was nice to hear him being so positive about the club and what he expects us to get for players and we won’t go down without a fight and lose players on the cheap. Were his values too high and unrealistic? Maybe Ross said to sell Doig for X amount as we could do x,y and z with it but Mathie was confident we could get more which then resulted in us missing out on targets?
    Last edited by Unseen work; 16-09-2021 at 07:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was it Ron’s son who got us Muller? If so, maybe there in lies the replacement.

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Pretty straightforward up to East Mains from there to be fair. Probably took me longer to get to my work this morning!
    Indeed. About 94 miles straight up the A1. A bit less than 2 hours driving time.

I imagine he lives in one of the very expensive estates near Morpeth like Tranwell Woods or similar.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Was it Ron’s son who got us Muller? If so, maybe there in lies the replacement.
    I think he brought him to the club’s attention, but not sure he’s qualified to be a DoF or whatever we are choosing to call it.

Pretty sure Jack Ross lives in Northumberland, not quite as far down as Sunderland.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by berwickhibee View Post
    Pretty sure Jack Ross lives in Northumberland, not quite as far down as Sunderland.
    Yes, think a previous poster here said Ponteland (beside Newcastle Airport)

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Apparently Ron Gordon wants to install a new team instead and Mathie is set to leave.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...x=1631804721-1

I really liked what he had to say; very intelligent and enthusiastic and good at communication.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...rector-3386320

No money in
    McGrath
    McCrorie
    Barrie McKay
    McCart
    Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

The press reported we made a mistake with the paperwork regarding McGrath instead of running out of time. Was it Mathie mistake and a big/amateur one at that?

Unless the post is nonsense then it seems a few posters were correct.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 16-09-2021 at 08:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member whereswallace?'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    McGinn was on his way to Dundee Utd. His agent contacted Hibs. We scrambled about to raise transfer fee. Hence we agreed to a very high sell on clause.
    Not true at all
    [IMG]381313_2307180833812_1078031841_2523339_2139902811 _n[/IMG]

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

No money in
    McGrath
    McCrorie
    Barrie McKay
    McCart
    Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

Ron Gordon didn't want another player from St Mirren or another player with Mc surname.

In my opinion our recruitment seems almost entirely based in Scotland. St Mirren are almost our feeder club. Won't know the ins and outs but it regularly feels like we have 1 target and if we fail with that we scramble around.

Signing the right player is difficult, no doubt about that. I'd say McCrorie and McGrath failures will be big contributors. Doesn't make club look great and I think Ron doesn't want another "done" deal being missed. Who knows..

Either way, Graeme Mathie has done a good job taking us up to this level.
    Last edited by madhatter; 16-09-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Mathie has done a decent job but he's failed the manager in the last 2 windows by not bringing in the other forward we've badly needed...didn't think Ron would be impressed at these failed deadline day deals to be honest. Think it's the right time to bring someone else in

I’ve seen newspaper reports but is there actually anything official that he’s away?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’ve seen newspaper reports but is there actually anything official that he’s away?
    No it’s not been reported officially yet.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

No money in
    McGrath
    McCrorie
    Barrie McKay
    McCart
    Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

The press reported we made a mistake with the paperwork regarding McGrath instead of running out of time. Was it Mathie mistake and a big/amateur one at that?

Taking that article at face value, it doesn't read well for Mathie.

If both RG and JR were frustrated with him then he had to go. I think the Euro defeat really p'd off RG.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

If both RG and JR were frustrated with him then he had to go. I think the Euro defeat really p'd off RG.
    That was the golden path RG was banking on and we fell short because we didn’t have the cover in the squad JR kept asking for.

No money in
    McGrath
    McCrorie
    Barrie McKay
    McCart
    Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

Had my 5 free reads so can't read it unfortunately 👀

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Yup.

He’s clearly done a good job to a degree but he’s clearly badly failed in areas.

No surprise that we want better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GonzoReturns View Post
    That was the golden path RG was banking on and we fell short because we didn’t have the cover in the squad JR kept asking for.
    Yep, total rookie move from Mathie by the sounds of it.

Why not just get Griffiths in at the end of the window at least.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Had my 5 free reads so can't read it unfortunately
    Graeme Mathie has left Hibs after being axed as the club's Sporting Director.

The Evening News understands that the 38-year-old has ultimately paid the price after*Hibs*endured a frustrating end to the summer transfer window and was relieved of his duties this week as owner Ron Gordon continues revamping the senior management team.

Mathie joined Hibs as Head of Recruitment and spent six years in the role before his appointment as Sporting Director in January 2020 as part of a reshuffle sparked by the departure of Head of Football Operations George Craig.

During his stint as recruitment chief he was widely credited with helping to bring players such as John McGinn to the club and following his promotion to Sporting Director, played a key role in new contracts for key players such as Martin Boyle, Josh Doig, and Joe Newell.

But a number of events in the latter days of the transfer window are believed to have accelerated his departure.

Graeme Mathie was appointed Sporting Director at Hibs following the departure of Head of Football Operation George Craig

The Evening News understands that the 38-year-old has ultimately paid the price after*Hibs*endured a frustrating end to the summer transfer window and was relieved of his duties this week as owner Ron Gordon continues revamping the senior management team.

But a number of events in the latter days of the transfer window are believed to have accelerated his departure.

Hibs attempted to do a late deal for St Mirren’s Jamie McGrath with Scott Allan and Drey Wright going in the other direction but ran out of time to get the move over the line, while the eventual arrival of Middlesbrough centre-back Nathan Wood came after more than one failed attempt to persuade St Johnstone to part with Jamie McCart.

That delay in bringing in defensive cover had already cost Hibs in Europe with club captain Paul Hanlon sidelined for the Europa Conference League third qualifying round second-leg encounter against HNK Rijeka in Croatia through injury and a depleted team eventually going down 4-1 on the night and 5-2 on aggregate.

Head coach Jack Ross, meanwhile, spoke repeatedly of his frustration after the club was unsuccessful in adding to his attacking options before the deadline and was forced to address rumours after the window that the club had been beaten to Barrie McKay's signature by city rivals Hearts.

Mathie, who turned out for Bournemouth, Coventry, and Motherwell as a player before stints with Celtic and the Scottish FA prior to joining Hibs, leaves having contributed greatly to the club’s return to the Scottish Premiership following their relegation in 2014 as well as the 2016 Scottish Cup success and last season’s third-place finish.

Apart from confirming that Mathie's away, it's all speculation/supposition.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 16-09-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Left by mutual consent!

Mathie joined Hibs as Head of Recruitment and spent six years in the role before his appointment as Sporting Director in January 2020 as part of a reshuffle sparked by the departure of Head of Football Operations George Craig.

During his stint as recruitment chief he was widely credited with helping to bring players such as John McGinn to the club and following his promotion to Sporting Director, played a key role in new contracts for key players such as Martin Boyle, Josh Doig, and Joe Newell.

SportFootballHibs

Graeme Mathie leaves Hibs after being axed as Sporting Director

By*Patrick McPartlin

Thursday, 16th September 2021, 7:26 pm

Updated2 hours ago

Graeme Mathie was appointed Sporting Director at Hibs following the departure of Head of Football Operation George Craig

Recommended by

Ploubalay: Liquidation des voitures 2020 invendues. Les prix vont vous surprendreVoitures | Liens de recherche

Most comments

The following is a list of the most commented articles in the last 10 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

A trending article titled "Chris Stewart says standards have been allowed to slip and called for a dedicated council official for the city centre" with 7 comments.

Chris Stewart says standards have been allowed to slip ...

7 comments

A trending article titled "'What David put me through over the years still consumes me to this day.'" with 7 comments.

'What David put me through over the years still consume...

7 comments

A trending article titled "Impatient Edinburgh motorist drove his car at lollipop man in front of schoolchildren" with 6 comments.

Impatient Edinburgh motorist drove his car at lollipop ...

6 comments

A trending article titled "Edinburgh’s World of Football set for demolition to make way for more student housing" with 3 comments.

Edinburgh’s World of Football set for demolition to mak...

3 comments

A trending article titled "Vaccine passports in Scotland from October 1 as MSPs approve move" with 2 comments.

Vaccine passports in Scotland from October 1 as MSPs ap...

2 comments

A trending article titled "'Forcing people to explain themselves in front of others robs them of their dignity and privacy.'" with 2 comments.

'Forcing people to explain themselves in front of other...

2 comments

Hibs attempted to do a late deal for St Mirren’s Jamie McGrath with Scott Allan and Drey Wright going in the other direction but ran out of time to get the move over the line, while the eventual arrival of Middlesbrough centre-back Nathan Wood came after more than one failed attempt to persuade St Johnstone to part with Jamie McCart.

That delay in bringing in defensive cover had already cost Hibs in Europe with club captain Paul Hanlon sidelined for the Europa Conference League third qualifying round second-leg encounter against HNK Rijeka in Croatia through injury and a depleted team eventually going down 4-1 on the night and 5-2 on aggregate.

Head coach Jack Ross, meanwhile, spoke repeatedly of his frustration after the club was unsuccessful in adding to his attacking options before the deadline and was forced to address rumours after the window that the club had been beaten to Barrie McKay's signature by city rivals Hearts.

Mathie, who turned out for Bournemouth, Coventry, and Motherwell as a player before stints with Celtic and the Scottish FA prior to joining Hibs, leaves having contributed greatly to the club’s return to the Scottish Premiership following their relegation in 2014 as well as the 2016 Scottish Cup success and last season’s third-place finish.

Apart from confirming that Mathie's away, it's all speculation/supposition.
    Thanks 👌

Testimonial Due
    I think not getting to the group stages of the European conference league and not shifting Doig put a big dent in Ron's plans given the lost revenue. The old Hibs would just say bad luck and just carry on. Not the US way. Ron would have carried out and an inquiry and found out out what needs to done to not let it happen again. US businesses are more performance and results driven.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    I think not getting to the group stages of the European conference league and not shifting Doig put a big dent in Ron's plans given the lost revenue. The old Hibs would just say bad luck and just carry on. Not the US way. Ron would have carried out and an inquiry and found out out what needs to done to not let it happen again. US businesses are more performance and results driven.
    Did Ron really think we would make the group stages? If he was looking at that from a budget vs budget perspective, he'd be quite pragmatic I'm sure that making the group stages was a massive ask for any non OF Scottish team.