hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Be a bit strange if his commute was a problem after 7 years at the club.
    Mathie was head of recruitment when he came here, basically chief scout, commuting wasn't a problem as Craig did all the day to day stuff at the club, since he's taken over from Craig he'll have to commute on a daily basis, was there not a rumour he was maybe going to Kilmarnock about 2 seasons ago?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Surely if Mathie did not get the players in, RG has to carry some of the blame? I’m sure GM was working to a budget set by people further up the tree?

The other side is that possibly GM did not bring in enough funds over the summer
    Good point that's been overlooked.

Most of us have accepted the line that it was great business not to lose any players.

It could be that RG and JR wanted someone to leave to allow us to get x or y in and were left disappointed 'cause they didn't have a few million to spend that they were expecting.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Most of us have accepted the line that it was great business not to lose any players.

It could be that RG and JR wanted someone to leave to allow us to get x or y in and were left disappointed 'cause they didn't have a few million to spend that they were expecting.
    It will be a factor I suspect. I think Hibs signalled quite clearly that they expected one of our valuable assets to exit over the summer. I’m sure from a “business “ perspective they will have been disappointed it didn’t happen

Certainly the way they were speaking about Doig, it felt like we wanted to sell him and we’re doing everything we could to drive the price up. Might not have been the case, of course, but that’s the way I saw at the time.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

I’d heard there was an offer on the table for Doig in July. It’s obvious we didn’t take it, and were looking for more for him. Who at Hibs would be calling the shots on accepting it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Be a bit strange if his commute was a problem after 7 years at the club.
    Travelling up regularly can get to you after a while. Different if you stay in Edinburgh midweek and only travel home after a game. May of course be nothing to do with that🤔

There was strong rumours of the young Norwegian left back, who I'd assume was Doig's replacement, where they expecting too much money for Doig, £5M was being quoted but did we just over price him in the market and no one came biting.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’d heard there was an offer on the table for Doig in July. It’s obvious we didn’t take it, and were looking for more for him. Who at Hibs would be calling the shots on accepting it or not?
    When we're talking multi-million pound deals the last word must be RGs.

But if Mathie is the one taking the calls and having the chat, he's the one that will be going to RG for approval I'd have thought.

So if he keeps saying nah, we want £5m, but that offer never comes, then RG has nothing to have a say on.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll be sad to see him go. I think the 5live podcast Ron appeared on might hint at the reasons for his departure. Ron Gordon was quite clear in his frustrations over the narrowness of Hibs recruitment. He wants to use markets further afield in combination with the local. With Jack Ross wanting attacking players and Mathie falling short with McGrath(another domestic deal) I think that might have been the end for him. I expect the next guy to have knowledge of markets with a broader reach.

@hibs.net private member

Graham Mathie Away?

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    I'll be sad to see him go. I think the 5live podcast Ron appeared on might hint at the reasons for his departure. Ron Gordon was quite clear in his frustrations over the narrowness of Hibs recruitment. He wants to use markets further afield in combination with the local. With Jack Ross wanting attacking players and Mathie falling short with McGrath(another domestic deal) I think that might have been the end for him. I expect the next guy to have knowledge of markets with a broader reach.
    Interesting theme this…I’d worry that ultimately this would lead to also JR leaving. It seems clear he is equally more comfortable with scottish/British signings in the main ..

There is little doubt that our new owner is driving an approach to get a team of personnel that he is comfortable with. Hope he gets the big calls right

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    McGinn was on his way to Dundee Utd. His agent contacted Hibs. We scrambled about to raise transfer fee. Hence we agreed to a very high sell on clause.
    I’d never heard that before. Interesting
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I’d never heard that before. Interesting
    It’s rubbish, don’t believe him

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    He commutes to and from Sunderland to take training every day?
    Said it in an interview that he would commute from home to HTC, has got his dream home down there and kids settled in the area and at school. Don't know if he does it everyday, I think SJM still has his flat near the stadium so he might use that from time to time. Sure he said it took him around 2 hours. It was reported in the Scotsman in May 2020,if you want to look at it. Sorry can't post the link.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 16-09-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Interesting theme this…I’d worry that ultimately this would lead to also JR leaving. It seems clear he is equally more comfortable with scottish/British signings in the main ..

There is little doubt that our new owner is driving an approach to get a team of personnel that he is comfortable with. Hope he gets the big calls right
    He likes Jack Ross. The new contract is proof of that.

He never said he wanted the team full of foreigners just that he wanted a broader reach that we could tap into, like needing an attacking player at the last minute for instance. Mueller seems to have been scouted by Jack Ross from what I've read.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Said it in an interview that he would commute from home to HTC, has got his dream home down there and kids settled in the area and at school. Don't know if he does it everyday, I think SJM still has his flat near the stadium so he might use that from time to time. Sure he said it took him around 2 hours.
    He stays up here most of the week. Hibs have a couple of houses. Lennon used to stay in one.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    He likes Jack Ross. The new contract is proof of that.

He never said he wanted the team full of foreigners just that he wanted a broader reach that we could tap into, like needing an attacking player at the last minute for instance. Mueller seems to have been scouted by Jack Ross from what I've read.
    Would Mathie not have a say on JR's contract?

He stays up here most of the week. Hibs have a couple of houses. Lennon used to stay in one.
    Used to have a house in Gilberstoun or near there that Lennon and Parker stayed in, Lennon was a regular in Portobello most weeks.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Would Mathie not have a say on JR's contract?
    Probably. Jack has been at the club a while now and if Ron Gordon was having any doubts I really couldn't see any contract extension being agreed.

He’s coming out with some crackers now.

@hibs.net private member
    It would be concerning if we had kept with Mathie for the sake of it. Maybe hibs had just out grown him, wish him all the best in the future.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ron getting rid of the dead wood?

Probably. Jack has been at the club a while now and if Ron Gordon was having any doubts I really couldn't see any contract extension being agreed.
    I agree.

I just don't think that JR would be be responsible for sacking his boss.

If Mathie has been let go, then his relationship with JR might have come into it. However, it goes against everything that we've put in place since Leeann Dempster arrived if the manager is effectively deciding every football related appointment - that's where you end up starting everything from scratch every time there's a change of manager.

I would think that if Mathie is being replaced then it's part of a bigger plan and possible change in strategy/direction.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Something a bit more valid than some random rumour. Who knows he is probably leaving for a better job no idea. Certainly don't think any failure in a transfer can be imo unfairly laid at the door of one person.
    This place would be awful quiet if the poster of a rumour required a substantial burden of proof.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He’s coming out with some crackers now.

Ok, no bother.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

I thought McGinn was off to the states before Hibs stepped in?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This place would be awful quiet if the poster of a rumour required a substantial burden of proof.
    Did you believe his Ron the Con stuff?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Surely if Mathie did not get the players in, RG has to carry some of the blame? I’m sure GM was working to a budget set by people further up the tree?

The other side is that possibly GM did not bring in enough funds over the summer
    Depends if RG sees it as a budget issue or that GM didn’t deliver when he had the budget available.

Again though, I’ve no idea if that’s the reason for this. It would seem quite a coincidence that 2 weeks after the rumour that people at the club were really unhappy with the way the window ended that the guy responsible for getting players in looks like he’s leaving.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Jack Ross commutes from Sunderland.
    Morpeth in Northumberland actually.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    About an hour by train.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Lovely place. Not sure I’d like that commute everyday though