hibs.net Messageboard

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
Results 991 to 1,015 of 1015
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some folk have got themselves in a real lather about this, me I'll wait for forth coming Statement.

Possibly - and I don’t say this lightly - one of the most preposterous threads in recent times.

I’m surprised an argument hasn’t broken out over the definition of the word ‘of’ yet. Can only be a matter of time as we seem to have chased down every other rabbit hole.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That role would be have Negotiator in the title, not Recruitment, so the actual role at Hibs must be broader.

And how many contracts do we negotiate each year? It won't be enough to require a full time Negotiator.
    I'm pretty sure I read that Ben Kensell would be handling the contract talks with players so it's quite possible that Ian Gordon won't have that responsibility in his role going forward and Is there to manage the recruitment team and make contact with potential targets.

Like everyone else I'm just submising but could it be that the recruitment department identify players for positions at the managers request, they present this to their superior Ian Gorgon who in turn after identifying what player(s) Jack Ross likes the look off makes initial contact with the players and turns on the charm to sell the club to said players. When contract time comes there is no middle man for agents to deal with they speak directly to the CEO and deals are either concluded or not.

All seems fairly straight forward in my head anyway. We'll wait and see how it materialises. We've signed some cracking players over the last few years but also some dross too. Nobody will get the recruitment right 100% of the time so I'm pretty relaxed and happy to sit tight and let the club do their stuff. I don't think anything is done without a great deal of thought and intention of success from RG.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I’ve skipped about 30 pages or so of this thread as it appeared to take off over a couple of days.

I don’t know what credentials Ian Gordon has but I find it quite amusing some using the fact he got us Muller as a big catch when we don’t even know if he’s any good yet 😅

Could it be as simple as Ron wants someone at the club 24/7 that he trusts explicitly and will get things done, someone who Ross also has a strong relationship with?

I also don’t know the main difference in roles between for example Kensell and Mathie? Surely there’s quite a bit of an overlap.

Especially when you consider they will both have teams of people doing the daily work for them.

Maybe Kensell will just take more ownership and control of everything.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 11-10-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’ve skipped about 30 pages or so of this thread as it appeared to take off over a couple of days.

I don’t know what credentials Ian Gordon has but I find it quite amusing some using the fact he got us Muller as a big catch when we don’t even know if he’s any good yet 😅

Could it be as simple as Ron wants someone at the club 24/7 that he trusts explicitly and will get things done, someone who Ross also has a strong relationship with?

I also don’t know the main difference in roles between for example Kensell and Mathie? Surely there’s quite a bit of an overlap.

Especially when you consider they will both have teams of people doing the daily work for them.

Maybe Kensell will just take more ownership and control of everything.
    Mueller ( hope this isn't going to be a Nisbet /Nesbit scenario 😁) was probably seen as a bit of a catch as most of the media in the US and further afield thought if he was going to Scotland it would be to Celtic or Rangers , he was also linked with a move to Belgium. On paper he looks like a decent signing and by all accounts alot of work went into this signing.

Obviously we don't know how it will turn out but the same can be said for any signing.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some really interesting responses to the "Head of" angle in this thread.

It doesn't necessarily mean a thing, it's like getting a gold star at school or being made a director of a company, it means nothing.

It can be a purely vanity title to give someone a higher profile or a bit of recognition or dare I say because they are related to the owner.

He could be doing the filing for all we know.

What matters is the role they actually perform.

If we recruited John Park again and called him toilet attendant and he signed the next Ronaldo, would anyone really care about his title?

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Some really interesting responses to the "Head of" angle in this thread.

It doesn't necessarily mean a thing, it's like getting a gold star at school or being made a director of a company, it means nothing.

It can be a purely vanity title to give someone a higher profile or a bit of recognition or dare I say because they are related to the owner.

He could be doing the filing for all we know.

What matters is the role they actually perform.

If we recruited John Park again and called him toilet attendant and he signed the next Ronaldo, would anyone really care about his title?
    in my job the “head of” the department knows very little about the ins and outs of the day job i do and if push came to shove they probably wouldnt be able to do it themselves, but thats because thier job as the “head of” is to manage the higher level functions of the department such as its operating structure, budgets, resource and productivity etc and managing people who in turn deal with thier responsibilities and so on.

In corporate jobs being the head of something doesnt mean your the foremost authority in that specific thing but its likely you will be the one who manages the people that are, and getting them to do what they do and what the business needs from them.

I have two questions about this appointment:

Will he now actively be taking a part in scouting new players?

If so, what experience/qualification does he have that makes him a good fit for this role?

No cynicism on my part, I'm genuinely just curious, especially as scouting/recruiting new players is a really important responsibility.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    in my job the “head of” the department knows very little about the ins and outs of the day job i do and if push came to shove they probably wouldnt be able to do it themselves, but thats because thier job as the “head of” is to manage the higher level functions of the department such as its operating structure, budgets, resource and productivity etc and managing people who in turn deal with thier responsibilities and so on.

In corporate jobs being the head of something doesnt mean your the foremost authority in that specific thing but its likely you will be the one who manages the people that are, and getting them to do what they do and what the business needs from them.
    Often that this is the case in larger businesses but in privately run businesses there are so many vanity titles that you are never sure if you are dealing with the organ grinder or the monkey, based on titles or where the power and decision making capability lies

I assume it’s JR that has had the biggest influence in signings since Hecky left but generally it seems to have been successful and we don’t seem to be signing duds anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I have two questions about this appointment:

Will he now actively be taking a part in scouting new players?

If so, what experience/qualification does he have that makes him a good fit for this role?

No cynicism on my part, I'm genuinely just curious, especially as scouting/recruiting new players is a really important responsibility.
    First question: No, I don’t think he will. He might obviously be involved with the deployment and co-ordination of others employed to carry out these duties.

Second question: Because of my first answer, I don’t think he personally or necessarily requires the experience/qualification to scout and recruit. Professionalism, efficiency and competence will be among the pre-requisites for the role.

All in my opinion of-course.

Ps - just read MyJo’s post which pretty much falls in line with my thinking.
    Last edited by Jim44; 11-10-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post

I wouldn't think Hibs recruitment department is that large.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

My first thought is 'this stinks'.

If it were any other club I would feel it would appear a dictator has come in and soon afterwards key staff at the club, Dempster & Mathie are away. I guess we are Ron's toy now and he can do what he likes.

It will be interesting to hear what Ross says at his press conference in the next few days leading up to the game at the weekend.

Results are all that matters, so will judge Gordon on that, but he has shaken things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    First question: No, I don’t think he will. He might obviously be involved with the deployment and co-ordination of others employed to carry out these duties.

Second question: Because of my first answer, I don’t think he personally or necessarily requires the experience/qualification to scout and recruit. Professionalism, efficiency and competence will be among the pre-requisites for the role.

All in my opinion of-course.

Ps - just read MyJo’s post which pretty much falls in line with my thinking.
    Two important things needed for this job.
    A good contacts book and a short line of communication to whoever holds the purse strings.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Just had a look at the club directory and Ian Gordon is now listed as Head of Recruitment.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/our-club/club-directory
    Ian Gordon is no longer listed on the club directory as Head of Recruitment.

Surely someone didn’t add that by mistake. 😂

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Now that's ruthlessness!

@hibs.net private member
    He would have got away with it had it not been for those pesky kids on Hibs.net!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    The Head of Recruitment has been disrecruited?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Whoever got that wrong will be gone by lunchtime tomorrow.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Whoever got that wrong will be gone by lunchtime tomorrow.
    Or he's had his pocket money stopped and Ron's changed his password...

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Or he's had his pocket money stopped and Ron's changed his password...
    😂😂

Yesterday was why he's away. Absolutely toiling with a few key players out.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Graeme Mathie appointed Chief Executive at Ayr United Football Club

Daily Record

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Graeme Mathie appointed Chief Executive at Ayr United Football Club

Daily Record
    Remember when folk were saying he was going to Celtic.

EXCLUSIVE! Graeme Mathie to become Ayr United chief executive as former Hibs sporting director joins Honest Men #AUFC | @ScottBurns75

https://t.co/Ag5QJBOK4T https://t.co/S1GwohhXkL