hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Total speculation from me but I think he was tasked with getting some cash in during the summer but couldn’t get a deal done. Particularly with Doig, I felt at the time like he was actively trying to sell him. Then, he couldn’t get deals done for players we wanted in the door.
    That total speculation is my hunch as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Mathie, the man who should always be thanked, for getting Hibs John McGinn
    Good luck Graeme wherever you end up

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Definitely not. If the appointment of our new CEO is anything to go by I think we can be excited to see who he brings in
    Absolutely. Exciting times ahead. That ****ty Sun article would initially have you think we're losing key people.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    He messed up signings on deadline day, and if Ron was already considering getting rid then I can imagine that may have been the straw that broke the camels back.
    Would love to know what all the goings on were on deadline day that means Mathie messed up.

The last thing I wanted RG to be was just another caretaker owner trundling along making sure we don’t go bust but never really showing any real ambition. It looks like we are avoiding that at least and if that means some move on then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Could it not be that now Ben Kensell has been in the job a couple of months he's suggested a change and has someone in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Absolutely. Exciting times ahead. That ****ty Sun article would initially have you think we're losing key people.
    We are, be interesting to see who we replace him with. Think he’s an employee of Hibs, not a fixed term contract like the players

I think we might be witnessing RG's 1st mistake.
    Mathie appears to me to have been signing players with a very low budget yet has consistently come up trumps
    e.g.Doyle-Hayes an absolute perfect fit for our midfield for zero pounds, Nisbet £300k now worth 10 times that sum etc etc.
    I would like to have seen who Mathie could have signed with a bit of cash in his pocket as the next guy will have.

Mathie has always appeared to me to be a straight forward, trustworthy and decent person.
    Also an able communicator and good at his job.
    All qualities that would persuade a talented kids parents to trust their kid to Hibs rather than another club.
    Perhaps he's too straight forward and not business enough for Ron Gordon.
    I might be wrong but I am expecting the next guy to be bull**** bingotastic smoothy weasel guy
    This change comes directly on the back of the American based owners breakaway/self interest group.
    Is Ron's mask slipping?
    As ever time will tell.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-09-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I worry about where we're going as a club and what Ron's motive is. Good people who care about the club getting the heave or being forced to leave

Can only hope he knows what he's doing. For a man with not very much footballing knowledge, he certainly seems to have a clear idea how things should be done in his mind.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    I worry about where we're going as a club and what Ron's motive is. Good people who care about the club getting the heave or being forced to leave

Can only hope he knows what he's doing. For a man with not very much footballing knowledge, he certainly seems to have a clear idea how things should be done in his mind.
    Ron clearly wants excellence and he's earned the benefit of the doubt with me

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    He messed up signings on deadline day, and if Ron was already considering getting rid then I can imagine that may have been the straw that broke the camels back.
    Proof. Personally think the recruitment we have had recently has been in the main excellent.

@hibs.net private member
    He will go to Aberdeen no doubt.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Proof. Personally think the recruitment we have had recently has been in the main excellent.
    I’m not quite sure what proof you expect but it was pretty widely rumoured at the time. Certain folk were given dogs abuse for it and yet here we are 2 weeks later and Mathie is about to be binned.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m not quite sure what proof you expect but it was pretty widely rumoured at the time. Certain folk were given dogs abuse for it and yet here we are 2 weeks later and Mathie is about to be binned.
    If Ross says we’ve been 43 games in the top 4, then the recruitment can’t be all that bad

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I assume Ron will want someone with more knowledge of wider markets.

This isn't necessarily a reflection of Graeme.

Wish him the best. Overall he contributed to the upturn of the club. The next level may require a rethink even just to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post

I’d be more worried if the club was being held back by retaining underperforming staff due to sentiment.

Mathie has indeed managed the recruitment team during a period where we have identified a number of good players but he doesn’t work alone - it is a team effort involving different scouts and analysts. He has ultimate responsibility for getting these deals over the line however and there have been a number of high profile misses in recent windows such as McCrorie, McGrath and McCart which have left our manager short in key positions.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    If Ross says we’ve been 43 games in the top 4, then the recruitment can’t be all that bad
    I don’t disagree with that but the rumour seemed to be that their was some real bad blood because of the failure to get people in at the end of the window so it’s more of a case of an issue in isolation the other week rather than over 43 games.

Maybe Ron is now looking at us being at a much higher risk of failing in the league cup or leaving ourselves with to much to do in the league due to the Mathie “balls up” that was rumoured? Either of those things could cost the club hundreds of thousands if not over a million if we go out of the league cup because we’re short of a striker or if we leave ourselves with to much to do for third so it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility for someone to be binned for it if that’s the way RG is looking at it. I’m not saying he is looking at it that way or that I agree with it btw.

Mathie leaving would certainly give credence to the rumour that went about after deadline day though. He certainly wasn’t flavour of the month at Hibs if the rumour was true.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 16-09-2021 at 04:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Be sad to see him go. Always liked what he had to say about his department and where he saw us going.

Mathie will be off to Celtic.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Mathie will be off to Celtic.

or St. Mirren……..

Like Stuart93 said if Ron brings another person in of the same ilk as Ben Kensell then we are laughing. He is regarded as a bit of a coup. Not saying Mathie was bad but Ron clearly has lofty ambition for us. Sorry for Graeme but there is no sentiment for me if it is going to hold Hibs back.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Ron Gordon is taking the club upwards, if he thinks he can bring someone in who will do better, then i'm all for it.

Thanks Graham, good luck in the future.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I think some people are adding 2 & 2 together and arriving at whatever answer suits them. If Mathie gets emptied soon without a replacement in place then fair enough, but any move could also be Mathie's doing. We also have a new CEO in place who may have been given a very detailed remit by Ron.

Chances are well never know (that's if there is anything to know).

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Recruited excellent players for Hibs. Its scary how much better we've been at transfers in the last 7 years, than the 7 before that. Anyone saying he was ***** is talking rubbish.
    Exactly. Some opinions on here are miles off.

@hibs.net private member

Graham Mathie Away?

Mathie has been part of the best recruitment period that I can recall…if he is replaced, he has set a tough benchmark to better..I’m disappointed to hear this …

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I assume Ron will want someone with more knowledge of wider markets.

This isn't necessarily a reflection of Graeme.

Wish him the best. Overall he contributed to the upturn of the club. The next level may require a rethink even just to get a fresh set of eyes on it.
    Overall he’s done a fine job, but can’t help thinking the failed McRorie and McGrath deals have sealed his fate given they became public and rightly or wrongly were portrayed negatively in the press. That and the very curious Doig situation at the start of the season when we went public before anything was agreed.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Any chance of ‘Graham’ to Graeme please. On a par with Nisbet/Nesbit in piss boiling 😂

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I don’t disagree with that but the rumour seemed to be that their was some real bad blood because of the failure to get people in at the end of the window so it’s more of a case of an issue in isolation the other week rather than over 43 games.

Maybe Ron is now looking at us being at a much higher risk of failing in the league cup or leaving ourselves with to much to do in the league due to the Mathie “balls up” that was rumoured? Either of those things could cost the club hundreds of thousands if not over a million if we go out of the league cup because we’re short of a striker or if we leave ourselves with to much to do for third so it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility for someone to be binned for it if that’s the way RG is looking at it. I’m not saying he is looking at it that way or that I agree with it btw.

Mathie leaving would certainly give credence to the rumour that went about after deadline day though. He certainly wasn’t flavour of the month at Hibs if the rumour was true.
    His role was much, much wider than recruitment and I suspect that his exit is more to do with a freshening up than anything related to the transfer window.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Mathie has been part of the best recruitment period that I can recall…if he is replaced, he has set a tough benchmark to better..I’m disappointed to hear this …
    People need to look a lot closer to the dugout for reasons why we didn't bring in the players we wanted.

I think having a 'shelf life', for want of a better term, for these kind of roles makes sense. A new challenge for Graeme and a fresh set of eyes, ideas, and experiences for the club with a new sporting director in post.

If Mathie is a away, he'll leave with my best wishes and thanks.