hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 85 of 85
  1. #61
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in the town
    Age
    58
    Posts
    11,132
    Steven Gerrard? His stock will be at a high now and they're not performing at the same level now.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,568
    I remember Forest of old playing an epic European cup tie against Cologne in a semi final, 3-3 in Nottingham and a 1-0 win in Cologne, I think Cologne might have beaten rangers in the previous round. Cant remember if it was the same season but remember them roasting AEK 5-1 at the City Ground. Very good side but if remember correctly both of their European Cup finals were a little dull (not that Forest fans would care about that obviously)

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    8,480
    I'm not sure I've seen Forest in such a state since the early 1970s when they were toiling in the old Second Division pre-Clough. They have appeared in League 1 but I felt they had more potential then in some ways. There seems to be something very wrong in the way the club is run. The majority of clubs tend to hire and fire managers as we know but Forest's record for this is apalling. They have tried literally everything, experienced managers such as, going back, Atkinson, McClaren, McLeish (before walking out after five minutes). They've tried former heroes such as Martin O'Neill and Stuart Pearce, young up-and-coming bosses and European managers too, nothing has worked.

    Many believe that the problems lie in the areas between the manager and the owner in the club's structure. The club's owner, Marinakis is a dubious character, albeit very rich, also the owner of Olympiacos who he appears to have more interest in. The playing staff is always overblown in size with regular new signings tending to be of a similar ordinary quality, usually European. I think Hughton is a decent manager and he's certainly cleared out a lot of dead wood. He has somewhat been the architect of his own downfall though.

    Player-wise, Grabban is getting older and left chasing long punts at head height most of the time, not his game. Worrall and McKenna generally do a decent job at the back but the problem for a long time has been in scoring goals. Perhaps the most un-Forest-like aspect is the team's thoroughly boring and drab football. The last few managers have tended to have a similar plodding and defensive style which really, really does not suit the Forest faithful. They expect the Reds to move the ball around on the ground.

    Apparently, there were 24,000 fans there for Forest's dismal 0-2 defeat in midweek versus Boro, a good turn-out. A friend tells me there were barely 2,000 there when the final whistle blew - 'barely enough to boo them off the pitch' as he said.

    It seems like Steve Cooper will be appointed shortly with the only other name being mentioned seriously being Wilder, good luck to him, he's really going to need it. Forest certainly do have a great and romantic history - a long one too - they're a club I've a soft spot for for obvious reasons and I find it all very sad. They brought a heck of a lot of pride to this city when they conquered Europe twice, held their own against the very best and feared no one. Sadly, all a distant memory now.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

    My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown


  5. #64
    First Team Breakthrough davy67 +'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tweedbank
    Posts
    116
    I read an article in yesterday's i paper apparently Forest have appointed a new manager every year since 2010 , 15 permanent managers in a decade now and none of the 13 previous incumbents have lasted more than 60 matches . To me that shows that it's not just the manager that's the problem , change of ownership doesn't seem to have helped either , another club desperately trying to live up to past glories .

  6. #65
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    8,480
    Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read an article in yesterday's i paper apparently Forest have appointed a new manager every year since 2010 , 15 permanent managers in a decade now and none of the 13 previous incumbents have lasted more than 60 matches . To me that shows that it's not just the manager that's the problem , change of ownership doesn't seem to have helped either , another club desperately trying to live up to past glories .
    Exactly. All of these managers are considered 'unsuccessful but there is way more going wrong at that club than simply blaming managers as a common denominator when things go wrong. Forest have always. for decades, had a great youth set-up and this has been criminally ingnored in recent times for the sake of one expensive and ineffective journeyman after another. Like many clubs, some of their greatest talent was home reared. I get the feeling that some (ahem) 'deals' of the laundering variety have been done via this plethora of foreign players appearing and due to Mr Marinakas' influence.

    I'm not a great fan of Hughton's style but what he has done at Forest is trim a squad that needed pruning years ago. He's done a good job of that but won't be the one to see the benefit. Anyway, it's looking odds-on for Steve Cooper this morning. I wouldn't suggest him consulting Rightmove or Zoopla just yet.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

    My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown


  7. #66
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City


    BBC Sport

  8. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City


    BBC Sport
    Will Swansea be looking at Jack Ross?

  9. #68
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will Swansea be looking at Jack Ross?
    Naw still cannae win big games

  10. #69
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will Swansea be looking at Jack Ross?
    JR must go!

  11. #70
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City


    BBC Sport
    Iím sure Cooper left Swansea in July, wonder why compensation with Swansea is necessary if yes no longer with them?

  12. #71
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    55
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will Swansea be looking at Jack Ross?
    Donít think Russell Martin would be too happy 😂😂

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m sure Cooper left Swansea in July, wonder why compensation with Swansea is necessary if yes no longer with them?
    Left in July but still under contract so under Football League rules compo due 1.2 m

  14. #73
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    18,468
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City


    BBC Sport
    Is he the guy that looks like heís not had a decent nights sleep for decades?

    United we stand here....

  15. #74
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is he the guy that looks like heís not had a decent nights sleep for decades?


    Looks like one of the goonies

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,122
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is he the guy that looks like heís not had a decent nights sleep for decades?
    Probably still trying to get over his Hibs legendary play off contribution for Airdrie when he scored an own goal for us in first leg and missed a penalty in the second.

  17. #76
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably still trying to get over his Hibs legendary play off contribution for Airdrie when he scored an own goal for us in first leg and missed a penalty in the second.
    Different guy Jim

    Pretty sure that Steve Cooper passed away quite young IIRC

    RIP

  18. #77
    @hibs.net private member tamig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,257
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Different guy Jim

    Pretty sure that Steve Cooper passed away quite young IIRC

    RIP
    Thatís right. Big blond striker. RIP.

  19. #78
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    8,480
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City


    BBC Sport
    Never 'Notts' Forest, Billy - always Nottingham Forest (and Notts County). They get really sniffy about it.

    Curious really because Notts are in Nottingham while Forest are in the county!

    Seemed like it was always to be Cooper from Saturday morning on. I hope for their sake they've done a bit of research on this one, that manager's parking spot in the City Ground car park has become a revolving door.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

    My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown


  20. #79
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,122
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Different guy Jim

    Pretty sure that Steve Cooper passed away quite young IIRC

    RIP
    Oops apologies didn't realise that.

  21. #80
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never 'Notts' Forest, Billy - always Nottingham Forest (and Notts County). They get really sniffy about it.

    Curious really because Notts are in Nottingham while Forest are in the county!

    Seemed like it was always to be Cooper from Saturday morning on. I hope for their sake they've done a bit of research on this one, that manager's parking spot in the City Ground car park has become a revolving door.
    Oops!

    Every day is a school day

    I just thought they were either side of Trent in the same town

    Never been

  22. #81
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    19,643
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. All of these managers are considered 'unsuccessful but there is way more going wrong at that club than simply blaming managers as a common denominator when things go wrong. Forest have always. for decades, had a great youth set-up and this has been criminally ingnored in recent times for the sake of one expensive and ineffective journeyman after another. Like many clubs, some of their greatest talent was home reared. I get the feeling that some (ahem) 'deals' of the laundering variety have been done via this plethora of foreign players appearing and due to Mr Marinakas' influence.

    I'm not a great fan of Hughton's style but what he has done at Forest is trim a squad that needed pruning years ago. He's done a good job of that but won't be the one to see the benefit. Anyway, it's looking odds-on for Steve Cooper this morning. I wouldn't suggest him consulting Rightmove or Zoopla just yet.

    Terrible to see whatís happened at Forest.

    As you say, a club thatís achieved incredible things in the past with a real preference for good football.

  23. #82
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    8,480
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oops!

    Every day is a school day

    I just thought they were either side of Trent in the same town

    Never been
    You're right they are very close together with only the Dundee teams being closer. The river is the city boundary just there and Forest are just outside it and Notts within it.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

    My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown


  24. #83
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    15,320
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right they are very close together with only the Dundee teams being closer. The river is the city boundary just there and Forest are just outside it and Notts within it.
    Thought as much

    I have read all the Cloughie , Robertson and McGovern books

    They spoke about going for a run along the banks of the Trent

    All a great read

  25. #84
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    8,480
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought as much

    I have read all the Cloughie , Robertson and McGovern books

    They spoke about going for a run along the banks of the Trent

    All a great read
    Did they mention some of the 'training sessions' on the banks of the Trent? Cloughie used to take his dog for a walk by the river and take the players along with him.

    I remember once he sent the players home for a couple of days and told them to 'rest'. It got back to Clough that Frank Clark had been seen out jogging around his local village so he fined him a weeks' wages when he got back to the City Ground!

    Trained hard pre-season, not so much during it. Mind, you don't need to much when you're playing every Saturday-Wednesday because you're challenging hard in every single competition.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

    My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown


  26. #85
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Pub With No Beer
    Posts
    258
    The fact that Forest have chosen to take Steve Cooper of the ever revolving English management carousel is a further indication that English clubs are currently not really interested in Scottish managers.
    Unless thereís something happened today undernoted is the list of Scottish managers currently in the English leagues.
    1) David Moyes-West Ham.2)Darren Ferguson- Peterborough United.3)Frankie McAvoy-Preston North End.4)Russel Martin-Swansea.5)Steve Evans-Gillingham.6)Derek Adams -Bradford City.7)Robbie Stockdale-Rochdale.8)Mickey Mellon-Tranmere Rovers.
    8 out of 94 clubs circa 8% is not a big input.
    As far as I am aware there has been no real interest in two of the most successful managers in the Scottish Premiership last season namely Jack Ross and Calum Davidson.
    Nor has there been any interest in taking on Derek McInnes,Neil Lennon or Brian Rice in England.
    This may be a rather convoluted way of stating that there is no need for the alarm bells to start going off on .net every time a managerial post becomes vacant in England in case they come looking for Jack Ross.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)