hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pat Stanton stand

Know there is another thread dedicated to Pat Stanton about his birthday today. All the best, Pat.

My opinion is that Pat is the best player I have seen in a Hibs jersey. He has represented the club with distinction on and off the field for decades. I know other Hibs fans may have other choices from different generations, particularly from the Famous Five, or even the 2016 cup final team. But Pat is mine and also many other Hibs fans I know.

Why has one of our stands never been named after this Hibs living legend. We already have a Famous Five stand. I suggest the club name the East Stand after Pat Stanton. It be appropriate for the current board at Hibs to recognise properly what Pat has given to the club. Would there be a better way than to name a stand after him? Even better to do it now, when Pat would be able to understand what the Hibs support feel about him. Some stands are named after players who have passed away, when it is too late to be properly appreciated.

Don't know what other people on hibs.net feel about this?. Surely someone at Hibs, with some influence, read these pages and can set the wheels in motion to get this done.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Know there is another thread dedicated to Pat Stanton about his birthday today. All the best, Pat.

My opinion is that Pat is the best player I have seen in a Hibs jersey. He has represented the club with distinction on and off the field for decades. I know other Hibs fans may have other choices from different generations, particularly from the Famous Five, or even the 2016 cup final team. But Pat is mine and also many other Hibs fans I know.

Why has one of our stands never been named after this Hibs living legend. We already have a Famous Five stand. I suggest the club name the East Stand after Pat Stanton. It be appropriate for the current board at Hibs to recognise properly what Pat has given to the club. Would there be a better way than to name a stand after him? Even better to do it now, when Pat would be able to understand what the Hibs support feel about him. Some stands are named after players who have passed away, when it is too late to be properly appreciated.

Don't know what other people on hibs.net feel about this?. Surely someone at Hibs, with some influence, read these pages and can set the wheels in motion to get this done.
    Yeah 100%

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post

I've often thought that naming a stand after Stanton would be hugely popular and a wonderful way to celebrate an all time great Hibernian. Getting it done is a very different matter though.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Pat Standon

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve nothing against naming a stand after him, but like a huge number of fans I never ever seen him play. Obviously I didn’t see the famous five either and they’ve got a stand named after them. Maybe a tornadoes stand would be better.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It won't happen while he's still with us and hopefully it'll be a long time before that changes.

First Team Breakthrough
    100%
    Pat was my first Hibs hero a smashing player and a true gentleman.
    Fortune enough to meet him a couple of times and he was very happy to chat.

@hibs.net private member
    Not for me. An outstanding player and servant to Hibs but why just Pat Stanton? what about the other Tornadoes? We don’t have enough stands to honour just one player at a time in my view.
    Maybe The Tornadoes stand though?
    Then there are various important people in our history, from founders to chairmen, managers to groundsmen. Not to mention an incredible list of great players.
    Sorry Pat, loved every time you stepped out on the park with a Hibs strip on and a Scotland strip for that matter. Celtic strip? Not so much but you still deserved our respect and was delighted to see you gain league and cup medals. However, naming a stand has to involve a broader brush fir me.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Not for me. An outstanding player and servant to Hibs but why just Pat Stanton? what about the other Tornadoes? We don’t have enough stands to honour just one player at a time in my view.
    Then there are various important people in our history, from founders to chairmen, managers to groundsmen. Not to mention an incredible list of great players.
    Sorry Pat, loved every time you stepped out on the park with a Hibs strip on and a Scotland strip for that matter. Celtic strip? Not so much but you still deserved our respect and was delighted to see you gain league and cup medals. However, naming a stand has to involve a broader brush fir me.
    Respectfully disagree, Pat Stanton lived the dream and represented Hibernian with pride and dignity and the fans leader of the tornadoes, also a true gentleman with blood roots to the formation of Hibernian FC, the Stanton Stand sounds just right.

I think the famous five have far more reach to be honest. For someone who was too young to see both, I know far more about the FF than Pat Stanton. Not saying Pat Stanton isn't a Hibs legend but I'd guess he's far more of a legend for the guys that went in the 70's than the average punter that didn't see him play. Would probably be like me trying tell my son about Franck Sauzee. Not sure I'd want a stand named after him. Would much rather have the Sir Tom Farmer stand if anything.
    Last edited by Since452; 14-09-2021 at 05:56 AM.

yes 100%. Get it done hibs

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    Respectfully disagree, Pat Stanton lived the dream and represented Hibernian with pride and dignity and the fans leader of the tornadoes, also a true gentleman with blood roots to the formation of Hibernian FC, the Stanton Stand sounds just right.
    It seems odd to me to be debating a club legend like Pat Stanton who all of us, who saw him play, loved. But why not Joe Baker? Or Jimmy O’Rourke? Maybe Alex Cropley? Alley McLeod or Jackie Macnamara? The list goes on and on.

Each one of the Famous Five deserved recognition but we have a collective FF stand. If a stand was to be named then I’d suggest The Tornadoes Stand covers it.

It seems odd to me to be debating a club legend like Pat Stanton who all of us, who saw him play, loved. But why not Joe Baker? Or Jimmy O’Rourke? Maybe Alex Cropley? Alley McLeod or Jackie Macnamara? The list goes on and on.

Each one of the Famous Five deserved recognition but we have a collective FF stand. If a stand was to be named then I’d suggest The Tornadoes Stand covers it.
    Yes, Pat Stanton was my all time favourite Hibs player, but I think naming it after the Tornadoes would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I think the famous five have far more reach to be honest. For someone who was too young to see both, I know far more about the FF than Pat Stanton. Not saying Pat Stanton isn't a Hibs legend but I'd guess he's far more of a legend for the guys that went in the 70's than the average punter that didn't see him play. Would probably be like me trying tell my son about Franck Sauzee. Not sure I'd want a stand named after him. Would much rather have the Sir Tom Farmer stand if anything.
    As much as I loved the guy as a player I too would rather see Sir Tom recognised for his contribution to the club.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar

I have met and spoken to Pat many times and it is always a thrill to talk to him (even at my age). One thing that is very clear to me is that, even though he is aware of his "status" with the fans, he nearly always refers to the players he played with in the Tornadoes and what they all achieved. Whilst Pat was always going to be a Hibs Great, would he have been the Hero he is now without the rest of the Tornadoes? My personal opinion (only that) is that a stand named after the Tornadoes would be the way to go and Pat would probably love that.

@hibs.net private member
    Groundsman 🤔

The Petrie Stand

@hibs.net private member
    Turnbull stand? He built the Tornadoes team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Turnbull stand? He built the Tornadoes team.
    Hugh Shaw built the Famous Five.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Hugh Shaw built the Famous Five.
    Hugh Shaw trained the FF. Willie McCartney put the team together.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’ve nothing against naming a stand after him, but like a huge number of fans I never ever seen him play. Obviously I didn’t see the famous five either and they’ve got a stand named after them. Maybe a tornadoes stand would be better.
    You have to bare in mind, Pat Stanton was at Hibs many years before Turnbull and the "tornadoes" were really only around for a very short time in the grand scheme of things.

A stand named a after King Paddy, would be so fitting for a great Hibs man.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    You have to bare in mind, Pat Stanton was at Hibs many years before Turnbull and the "tornadoes" were really only around for a very short time in the grand scheme of things.

A stand named a after King Paddy, would be so fitting for a great Hibs man.
    As I’ve said I don’t have a problem with naming a stand after him as he obviously means such a lot to so many hibs fans, but anyone under 50 that didn’t see him play will have much less affinity with him. My only memory of him was when he was the manager and that was a pretty grim time.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Nah.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I agree that Pat is, for my generation, the greatest Hibs player I’ve had the privilege of seeing. Not just a very skilful player but a great captain and leader, he really called the shots on the park. I haven’t seen anyone since, even Le God, that comes close to matching his influence on the park. However I also agree that he was part of an amazing team in the Tornadoes and you can’t not recognise them also. I think it would be fitting to have The Tornadoes Stand.
    I don’t agree it should be called The Turnbull Tornadoes Stand as he is already recognised in the FF stand.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    As I’ve said I don’t have a problem with naming a stand after him as he obviously means such a lot to so many hibs fans, but anyone under 50 that didn’t see him play will have much less affinity with him. My only memory of him was when he was the manager and that was a pretty grim time.
    And yet you suggested perhaps a Tornadoes stand.

The majority of fans that were attending Easter Road at the time of naming the famous five stand, would also never have seen them but it was still a fitting memory.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    STF saved the club, he built the stadium and created the foundations for what we are getting today. He also took great care to ensure that the club was passed on to safe, nurturing hands.

The west stand should bear his name.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Surely the David Gray or Alan Stubbs stand would be more fitting as cup winning captain and manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    STF saved the club, he built the stadium and created the foundations for what we are getting today. He also took great care to ensure that the club was passed on to safe, nurturing hands.

The west stand should bear his name.

The Famous Five were part of an excellent team and were at the top of Scottish football for 6/7 years.
    Pat Stanton was a great player and a very decent guy.
    The Tornadoes were an entertaining team.Their usually quoted lineup played together a couple of dozen times.They won the league cup but otherwise underachieved.
    So not for me.
    If anyone for me Sir Tom Farmer is the outstanding choice. He is responsible for the position the club is now in-rescuing it,stabilising it,improving it and finding the right purchaser.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'd also love the East stand to be renamed the Pat Stanton stand, he was the best player from the tornadoes, he stayed the longest, and he's still involved with the club now. And he's still here alive, I'd love it to be done so he could see it done. He was a class act, and a modern day club legend, who really was a fantastic player, fantastic captain and his longevity as a servant to the club he supported deserves this accolade.