hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Billy
    Did we not knock back 2 or 3 offers from English clubs for Pat. Can't remember the clubs though.
    Defo plenty clubs interested

I know he was frustrated at HIBS constantly breaking up good teams and selling their best talent :

Scott, Martin, Cormack, Marinello, Stein etc

Liverpool must have been laughing when he was dropped for the away leg with us only leading 1-0

Chelsea rings a bell ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

As regarding naming the West/Main Stand personally that has to reflect the origins of the club.However this would have to be done without splitting the support.as I am aware there is an element of our support who distance themself from our origins.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Reilly made his debut versus Killie October 1945 in a 4-2 win under McCartney

Bobby Johnstone was the last of the five to join up under Hugh Shaw in 1949

There is no doubting Stanton’s loyalty to HIBS

He was ‘let go’ after falling out with Turnbull

I also remember Gordon Smith being ‘let go’ by Harry Swan because he refused to pay for his op

Both men returned to the club as supporters

Stanton as a Manager

I also remember Pat Stanton being that good the Scotland Manager Tommy Docherty declared that he was better than Bobby Moore

An opinion no doubt shared by Jock Stein

Alex Ferguson also being a great admirer of Stanton as a player

In my eyes he was up there with Franz Beckenbaur
    From wiki

Reilly joined Hibs in 1946, despite interest from their city rivals Hearts.[3] He quickly established himself in the Hibernian team, scoring his first goal against Queen of the South. He netted the first of 18 hat-tricks for Hibs in 1947, also against Queen of the South. He made his league debut as a 17-year-old in the 1946–47 season.[3] Reilly was a fringe player in the 1947–48 season as Hibs won the league championship, playing in insufficient games to earn a winners' medal.[3] It was reported that Reilly and Johnny Aitkenhead might be loaned to Edinburgh derby rivals Hearts, who were battling against relegation that season.[4]

Reilly became a first team regular during the following season, after Willie Ormond suffered a broken leg.[3] He earned his first selection for Scotland that season, playing and scoring in a 3–1 win against England at Wembley.[3] Later that year, the Famous Five were fielded together in a match for the first time.[3] The forward line were used regularly for the first time during the 1949–50 season.[3

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    From wiki

Reilly joined Hibs in 1946, despite interest from their city rivals Hearts.[3] He quickly established himself in the Hibernian team, scoring his first goal against Queen of the South. He netted the first of 18 hat-tricks for Hibs in 1947, also against Queen of the South. He made his league debut as a 17-year-old in the 1946–47 season.[3] Reilly was a fringe player in the 1947–48 season as Hibs won the league championship, playing in insufficient games to earn a winners' medal.[3] It was reported that Reilly and Johnny Aitkenhead might be loaned to Edinburgh derby rivals Hearts, who were battling against relegation that season.[4]

Reilly became a first team regular during the following season, after Willie Ormond suffered a broken leg.[3] He earned his first selection for Scotland that season, playing and scoring in a 3–1 win against England at Wembley.[3] Later that year, the Famous Five were fielded together in a match for the first time.[3] The forward line were used regularly for the first time during the 1949–50 season.[3
    Lawrie Reilly made his debut 13/10/1945 under Willie McCartney

Kilmarnock 2 v 4 Hibernian

Aged 16 years 350 days

“My first team debut wasn’t long in coming On 13 October 1945 just short of my 17th birthday I played my first League match for HIBS against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park I was selected at inside right and my winger was my hero Gordon Smith I felt like I had gone to heaven and that when I had got there I had discovered God himself playing outside me”

The Life and times of Last Minute Reilly

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 16-09-2021 at 07:53 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    How about the David Gray stand. Surely a Hibs legend?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    From wiki

Wiki doesn’t recognise war time games so probs start from the new Scottish First Division

😃👍🏿