hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strikers

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure that if you sign a player (not a loan) the contract has to run until at least the end of the current season.
    You can sign a player on any length of contract I believe but due to registration most folk tend to be signed up till a window at least. We signed Mavrias (the Greek RB under Lennon) on a short contract that ended in early January

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Get O’Connor on the bench
    And Laidlaw.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    Connar Whickham still available, hal Robson something 😁 is still available can't think of many more of the top of my head

He is still available because he is an almost permanent sick note. Never got over some horrific injuries from about 5 years ago.

Left by mutual consent!
    James Scott doesn't look like the answer for me. He couldn't make the ball stick and thought his hold up play today was very poor.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    You can sign a player on any length of contract I believe but due to registration most folk tend to be signed up till a window at least. We signed Mavrias (the Greek RB under Lennon) on a short contract that ended in early January
    Clause 18.2

"The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the
    end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...rH0guDSn4VeLKT

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    No striker's on the bench today badly need to get someone in until the new year, even someone who is getting on a bit that could come on for the last 20 minutes would not cost too much as it would be for about 16 weeks
    Almost indefensible that and the result of the transfer window last week shambles (no fault of JRs by sounds if things). Hope it doesn't bite us and spoil the good start to the season.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    James Scott doesn't look like the answer for me. He couldn't make the ball stick and thought his hold up play today was very poor.
    Reckon he needs a few more weeks and games to get up to speed before it's fair to judge him.

Pretty sure his only football for the best part of a year has been with us the past few weeks.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Reckon he needs a few more weeks and games to get up to speed before it's fair to judge him.

Pretty sure his only football for the best part of a year has been with us the past few weeks.
    He has 5 goals in about 65 odd games so don't see him as a goal scorer. More a Llorente type hold up man. Neil McCann rated him today in half time analysis purely through where he was playing.

Clause 18.2

"The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the
    end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years."

Interesting, not sure how teams get round it in that case but they certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Interesting, not sure how teams get round it in that case but they certainly do.
    TBH I stumbled across it when looking for something else and was a bit surprised too.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    He has 5 goals in about 65 odd games so don't see him as a goal scorer. More a Llorente type hold up man. Neil McCann rated him today in half time analysis purely through where he was playing.
    I'm fairly certain he's not a hold up player. Wasn't anything like that at Well and I assume he hasn't changed his game drastically since then.

He's a winger who happens to be taller than average for that position but his hold up is relatively poor compared to Doidge etc.

I thought he looked good at Well so there's a player in there to unlock but playing him as a 10 or a 9 isn't going to get the best from him IMO

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I'm fairly certain he's not a hold up player. Wasn't anything like that at Well and I assume he hasn't changed his game drastically since then.

He's a winger who happens to be taller than average for that position but his hold up is relatively poor compared to Doidge etc.

I thought he looked good at Well so there's a player in there to unlock but playing him as a 10 or a 9 isn't going to get the best from him IMO
    His Motherwell manager thought when he was there that he would be a future Scotland number 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    His Motherwell manager thought when he was there that he would be a future Scotland number 9.
    Did he ever play as a number 9 for Well?

Left by mutual consent!

He certainly doesn't look like a winger. We already have Boyle, Murphy, Wright and McKay as wingers?

Scott 100% was not a 9 or a hold up player for Motherwell.

He was on either the left or right of a front 3 and would get the ball played to feet and run at the opposition. Very very direct and capable of going on the outside or cutting in on either foot.

Good final ball/shot too and could score out of nothing.

I think because of his height there’s a bit of a expectation he’s going to be good at holding the ball up and winning headers, for me that’s just not his game. He could develop into a 9 but that’s not him IMO.

In fairness he looks like he needs to lose a couple of pounds before we see the real version of him and he looks to have lost a yard of pace - don’t know if this is injury related. Maybe I’m being harsh saying that he needs to lose a couple of pounds but it’s what I see and comparing him on to previous seasons - surely after doing a pre season with Hull he’d be fit though?

He also doesn’t look match sharp.

I was one desperate for him to sign as I think he’s a really good player with loads of potential, we might just have to be a bit patient though until he finds his position/sharpness.

We need to seriously get a free agent in nothing on the bench currently to come on

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

He was on either the left or right of a front 3 and would get the ball played to feet and run at the opposition. Very very direct and capable of going on the outside or cutting in on either foot.

I think because of his height there’s a bit of a expectation he’s going to be good at holding the ball up and winning headers, for me that’s just not his game. He could develop into a 9 but that’s not him IMO.

In fairness he looks like he needs to lose a couple of pounds before we see the real version of him and he looks to have lost a yard of pace - don’t know if this is injury related. Maybe I’m being harsh saying that he needs to lose a couple of pounds but it’s what I see and comparing him on to previous seasons - surely after doing a pre season with Hull he’d be fit though?

I was one desperate for him to sign as I think he’s a really good player with loads of potential, we might just have to be a bit patient though until he finds his position/sharpness.
    That's exactly how I see Scott's game at Well and so far at Hibs too. Not a 9 and also confirms why we still could have done with a proper striker in after losing Doidge until Jan.

From the ever reliable and interesting Transfer market I’ve found the following free agents

Yaya Sanogo
    Connor Wickham
    Robson Kanu

I imagine none of the above are doable or would even interest us.

Some more interesting ones

Cedric Gondo
    Isma Goncalves
    Paul Gladon
    Jerome Sinclair
    Huseyin Dogan

I know Goncalves was at Hearts but fwiw I always rated him and think he would be a healthy option to have and already knows the league.

Ross worked with Sinclair at Sunderland so will know what he’s like. I think he’s struggled to find the net but pacey and puts himself about.

Dogan, Gladon and Gondo I know nothing about but they’re you’re interesting ones you’ve never heard of 😅 Gladon at least seems to have decent pedigree with being at wolves.

Coaching Staff

His manager at the time certainly thought he should be a number 9.

“For me, he’s a number nine, and he can be Scotland’s number nine for a long time to come if he fulfils that physical potential. If he stays I’ll be absolutely delighted.”

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Get O’Connor on the bench
    He was in the away end today. Surprised how small he was.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    That's exactly how I see Scott's game at Well and so far at Hibs too. Not a 9 and also confirms why we still could have done with a proper striker in after losing Doidge until Jan.

It would be great if Scott does develop into a centre forward, and soon, because we need one.

“For me, he’s a number nine, and he can be Scotland’s number nine for a long time to come if he fulfils that physical potential. If he stays I’ll be absolutely delighted.”
    Fair enough, but in his handful of games for Hibs he has shown absolutely nothing, at any point, to suggest that he has what it takes to be a successful number 9 for us. Not even a brief glimpse or a flash.

I reckon we're in big trouble if we end up in a position where we need to play him there as anything other than a stop gap for 10 or 20 minutes at a time.

He looks to me like a winger who has lost his pace, is going to take a fair bit of time to get fit (possibly not unlike last season's Magennis) and is never a "number 9" in a month of Sundays.

Shame for the lad that he got injured and he's going to need to recuperate somewhere, but I really hope it doesn't come to our detriment.

He shouldn't be written off after 3 games, but I think the polite way to describe his start with us would be "quiet".

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Fair enough, but in his handful of games for Hibs he has shown absolutely nothing, at any point, to suggest that he has what it takes to be a successful number 9 for us. Not even a brief glimpse or a flash.

I reckon we're in big trouble if we end up in a position where we need to play him there as anything other than a stop gap for 10 or 20 minutes at a time.

He looks to me like a winger who has lost his pace, is going to take a fair bit of time to get fit (possibly not unlike last season's Magennis) and is never a "number 9" in a month of Sundays.

Shame for the lad that he got injured and he's going to need to recuperate somewhere, but I really hope it doesn't come to our detriment.

He shouldn't be written off after 3 games, but I think the polite way to describe his start with us would be "quiet".
    Thought he showed promise in the Dundee game ,but doesn’t seem to have built on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough

Remember if he does come good Hull are likely to recall him in January.

Definitely not writing him off yet but he's on loan so needs to contribute and quickly. He's here to do a job for us short term.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Clause 18.2

"The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years."

Why did you exclude the rest of the clause ignoring the most pertinent sentence?

“The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the
    end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years. Contracts of any other length shall only be permitted if consistent with national laws. Players under the age of 18 may not sign a professional contract for a term longer than three years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not be recognised.”

From the SFA rules on registration, clause 7.2.1

“In the case of a Player who has attained 18 years of age at the date of signing then such Agreement between Player and Club may be for a period of time of not less than 28 days and not more than 5 years.”

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/1...procedures.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Why did you exclude the rest of the clause ignoring the most pertinent sentence?

“The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the
    end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years. Contracts of any other length shall only be permitted if consistent with national laws. Players under the age of 18 may not sign a professional contract for a term longer than three years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not be recognised.”

From the SFA rules on registration, clause 7.2.1

“In the case of a Player who has attained 18 years of age at the date of signing then such Agreement between Player and Club may be for a period of time of not less than 28 days and not more than 5 years.”

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/1...procedures.pdf
    No reason. That's why I always put links to stuff like that - so people can read it properly for themselves. As I said, I was surprised myself but I didn't bother to check whether the SFA had it's own rule.

His only decent performance for us so far was as a number 9 (Dundee away when I thought he showed a bit of promise) as well.

He was a man short yesterday but don’t think that was really down to him, he just didn’t know how to play that position he was asked to play.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1620 View Post
    Remember if he does come good Hull are likely to recall him in January.
    Let’s hope he’s ***** so we can keep him?

PNE Sign Connor Wickham on a short term deal so that can be a rubbed of somebody's list 😁