hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strikers

First Team Breakthrough

Strikers

No striker's on the bench today badly need to get someone in until the new year, even someone who is getting on a bit that could come on for the last 20 minutes would not cost too much as it would be for about 16 weeks

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No striker's on the bench today badly need to get someone in until the new year, even someone who is getting on a bit that could come on for the last 20 minutes would not cost too much as it would be for about 16 weeks
    Apart from Gullan ?

The problem is that anyone who is free now probably hasn’t even had much of a pre season under their belt so it would take until January to get up to full fitness. We have to give Gullan more game time.

The issue with Gullan is he’s not really a striker, through his youth career and first team he’s often played left of a front 3.

Fwiw I rate Gullan and think he has a lot of potential and ability but it seems the management don’t and that’s fair enough as they see him every day.

But looking at that bench today you knew who was going to come on and under what circumstance.

First Team Breakthrough
    Connar Whickham still available, hal Robson something 😁 is still available can't think of many more of the top of my head

Could do with a forward who can take it in and hold it up, a Mixu type.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Wasn’t just the lack of strikers, our bench contained three players the manager wants rid of. They had players today to bring on who could have made a difference (not saying I’d want them at us), we didn’t.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Wasn’t just the lack of strikers, our bench contained three players the manager wants rid of. They had players today to bring on who could have made a difference (not saying I’d want them at us), we didn’t.
    Our squad depth is definitely an issue at the moment. Hopefully we can scrape through till January without too many more injury issues.

Left by mutual consent!
    Scott can play as the target man/link role but he needs to drop half a stone. His conditioning is awful.

I'd imagine bringing in a player on a free we'd face the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the youngsters on the bench soon. Young Laidlaw looked like he's had a growth spurt when I watched him for the Sco u17's.

Our depth is a huge concern for me going forward. Our bench is week and those on it either won't come on to change games or were almost punted at the end of the window.

Get O’Connor on the bench

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I think it’s a wee bit unfair to say that JR wants rid of them. Ok, he sees them as ‘expendable’, as the McCart fiasco suggested but there’s four months left till Christmas and to label and consider these players as ‘unwanted’ is rash. I would love to see SA get a bit more game time and prove the doubters wrong.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Apart from Gullan ?
    Come on. Gullan is nowhere near our plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    Scott can play as the target man/link role but he needs to drop half a stone. His conditioning is awful.

I'd imagine bringing in a player on a free we'd face the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the youngsters on the bench soon. Young Laidlaw looked like he's had a growth spurt when I watched him for the Sco u17's.
    Glad you know his weight and bmi.

The boys not played a lot of football and will get better with games.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I think it’s a wee bit unfair to say that JR wants rid of them. Ok, he sees them as ‘expendable’, as the McCart fiasco suggested but there’s four months left till Christmas and to label and consider these players as ‘unwanted’ is rash. I would love to see SA get a bit more game time and prove the doubters wrong.
    He offered two of them on a season long loan along with money to bring in one player, which would have effectively ended their careers at Hibs. I think it’s pretty clear he was happy to get rid of them.

Worryingly Gullan wasn’t meant to be a sub today until Mackay was a late call off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Sitting in 2nd, it's an ideal time to start giving young Laidlaw some game time in games. Mood in the camp is good, great time to start seeing what he can do.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Come on. Gullan is nowhere near our plans.
    I never said he was, the OP said we didnt have any Strikers on the bench, in the plans or not doesnt change the fact we did have a Striker on the bench, in fact I would have been happy if he came on for Nisbet last 10 or 15

I never said he was, the OP said we didnt have any Strikers on the bench, in the plans or not doesnt change the fact we did have a Striker on the bench, in fact I would have been happy if he came on for Nisbet last 10 or 15
    Not sure I would have. I try to be positive about youngsters because they deserve time but I've not seen anything from him in his appearances to suggest to me he can make a game winning impact at this level.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Not sure I would have. I try to be positive about youngsters because they deserve time but I've not seen anything from him in his appearances to suggest to me he can make a game winning impact at this level.
    I think Nisbet looked a bit frustrated at times and we needed to freshen it up a bit up front

I don’t think our squad depth is a major issue, we are struggling due to so many injuries. When they (if they) all return then our squad will be packed. It’s a hard balancing act as we could’ve brought boys in but ended up with a squad far too big once they all get back.

@hibs.net private member
    Whit?

I think Nisbet looked a bit frustrated at times and we needed to freshen it up a bit up front
    I agree he looked frustrated. But Gullan wasn't the answer.

Testimonial Due

What a load ofsh*te! 🤣 how can you possibly know what he needs to drop weight wise?

He wasn't great today but he will improve and is possibly still getting used to playing with new team mates

I do think we should be looking to sign a free agent striker till Jan , a big target man who can come off bench and change things for us...its a huge ask to go till Jan with what we have in forward areas. I don't agree we don't have depth tho in the squad overall, considering the likes of JDH, Doidge, Murphy, Stevenson, Mackay and Hallberg were all out/not in squad today

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I do think we should be looking to sign a free agent striker till Jan , a big target man who can come off bench and change things for us...its a huge ask to go till Jan with what we have in forward areas. I don't agree we don't have depth tho in the squad overall, considering the likes of JDH, Doidge, Murphy, Stevenson, Mackay and Hallberg were all out/not in squad today
    What was up with Stevenson ?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you sign a player (not a loan) the contract has to run until at least the end of the current season.

What was up with Stevenson ?
    No idea mate I'd actually have liked him to start today up against GMS - thought Doig was poor today

Doidge is such a big loss, especially today.

The amount of balls in the box today that Nisbet was never going to win, I’m certain Doidge would’ve given their defenders a lot more to think about today.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckys Wheel View Post
    Doidge is such a big loss, especially today.

The amount of balls in the box today that Nisbet was never going to win, I’m certain Doidge would’ve given their defenders a lot more to think about today.
    Agreed we miss him a lot mate - have nobody similar to the big man