hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    The one that hit me the most was John Lennon. A huge Beatles fan and John was always my hero. I was totally stunned.

Like many others on this thread was totally stunned by the death of Di. I was out on the saturday night and woke up the Sunday Morning a little worse for wear putting the TV on and gradually realising the piece about Diana was talking about her in the past tense.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Diana is the one that springs to mind to me too. I was playing football early on the Sunday morning and we hadn't had the TV on at all. My dad picked up another dad and his son and the 1st thing he said was 'what about Diana?' My dad was a bit bemused as that wasn't a normal conversation start. 'What about her?' 'She's dead'.

Pope John Paul II is another ai always remember. He was an old man with a chronic degenerative health condition so it was hardly a shcok and he wasn't really a celebrity. He was probably the first world leader who felt relevant to me who had died though and I remember it being almost media saturation for a few days.

Finally a totally bizarre one and I have no idea why but I remember being totally stunned and a bit gutted when Richard Whiteley from Countdown died. I quite like the show but I wasn't an avid fan. I suppose it was just because he was someone who had always been there.
    I had been out and was walking back home through the Cowgate and a group shouted to us from over the road that she was dead. We thought they were just taking the piss and I remember coming downstairs the next morning and seeing the news.

I’m never that fussed about celebrity deaths, though it’s fair to say that Sean Lock dying the other day had an impact.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Elvis was the first major one I remember. When Diana died I was in bed pissed after a major all day and night session, the missus came in and shouted “Diana’s dead”. I jumped up and was in shock for a minute as the last guy I had left the night before had a wife called Diana and I instantly thought it was her!

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Normally celebrity deaths don’t impact on me, some are a bit of a shock but none have ever stopped me in my tracks like I did when I heard that Chester Bennington had killed himself.

I absolutely loved Linkin Park when I was a teenager and still do to this day so I was stunned when I heard about this. He was only about 7/8 years older than I am and had four kids so to hear that he not only died but did it himself was incredibly sad and made me genuinely upset

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    Normally celebrity deaths don’t impact on me, some are a bit of a shock but none have ever stopped me in my tracks like I did when I heard that Chester Bennington had killed himself.

I absolutely loved Linkin Park when I was a teenager and still do to this day so I was stunned when I heard about this. He was only about 7/8 years older than I am and had four kids so to hear that he not only died but did it himself was incredibly sad and made me genuinely upset

I was shocked when I heard Chris Cornell had died, he had just got back on the road gigging, seemingly looking happy he took his own life but his wife filed a law suit against his doctor for prescribing drugs that affected the singers state of mind and contributed to his death, they settled out of court.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I remember Diana’s funeral but the first big one was Micheal Jackson.

Mandela was a weird one, I got a text from my mrs saying “Nelson Mandela has died 😊”, I messaged her back saying “WTF?! Why are you smiling?!” Forgetting she was on a night out and steaming and had sent the smiley face in error 😂. I’d been at the cinema watching. Gravity - great movie!
    Michael Jackson is a great call. Never a fan of his music, but in his pomp he was the most famous person in the world. That was a huge shock.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    In my younger years the deaths of Elvis and John Wayne were notable because of the impact on family members. The 9 year old me had seen Elvis movies but my dad was a big fan. Similarly I had a grandad who grew up on cowboy films.

Personally the first death of a personality that made me properly look up was Rik Mayall coming as it did shortly after Mel Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk